The game stars Flynn, the youngest member of the Crimson Dynasty, who lives in his beautiful home of Rosantica, a beautiful island that was once ravaged by war and an evil presence now banished back to The Scourge. The magical barrier between Rosantica and The Scourge has started to crack, allowing dangerous creatures to slowly seep back in to try and take over the island. Accompanied by his mythical protector Dex, whose Guardian Spirits have been stolen and must be reclaimed, Flynn will be challenged by the evil from The Scourge and its powerful overlord.
The game is a Metroidvania game where the player takes the role of Flynn who must explore the island of Rosantica to push the Scourge back with his use of his family's running line of Crimson energy. The energy allows him to use the powers of fire, ice, and lightning to assist Dex in getting back his Spirits, with the collection of new Spirits giving him new powers that gradually open up more of the world.
The game provides examples of:
- Bee Afraid: Bees serve as an enemy in the game. You have small bees that fly towards you, big bees that shoot stingers at you, and beehives that constantly spit bees out.
- Canis Major: Dex is this, being Rosantica's guardian spirit that Flynn and large enough that Flynn can ride her like a mount.
- Health Meter: In the top left corner of the screen is a picture of Flynn with a line of bright teal jewels next to it that serve as a health bar.
- Hidden Elf Village: The Neptyns of the Hollow prefer to stay down below unless they have to come up to the surface. The exception is Yombal who's considered weird by their standards, obsessed with shinies, aka Relics.
- An Ice Person: Flynn's ice energy can freeze enemies on contact to create platforms out of them along with freezing the tops of water surfaces.
- Metroidvania: Dex's collection of Spirits grants Flynn new powers that he can use to access new parts of the world.
- Playing with Fire: Flynn's fire energy allows him to set fire to the environment and attack enemies with fire.
- Shout-Out: Vincent is a white gi-wearing fighter of the streets who teaches the roll jump.
- Sidequest: Naturally. These are indicated by a red exclamation point over a quest giver's head.
- Side View: How the game is viewed.