By nightfall, when you and your friends are by the campfire, a strange black Humanoid Abomination suddenly ambushes the group and tries to murder them, but what is this Monster up to? A strange series of paranormal activity occurs over the next few days, if you survive at least.
Camping and its next entries in the series are notable for starting the 2019 trend of story games on Roblox, having a One-Word Title, simplistic vector logo, a seemingly innocent and casual premise, and of course, the sudden turn and twist for the paranormal macabre.
Camping 2 is the sequel of Camping. You and your friends have gone camping out in a national park known as Terra Park. Now guided by a well-trusted park ranger named Daniel, you should be safe this time, right? Well not when the Murderer suddenly attacks the campers sited at the Campground. Now what is this Murderer up to?
Hotel is the prequel of Camping. You and your friends, after driving in a car for a long time, decided to stay for a night at the Gloomo Hotel. At night, a blizzard hits the hotel and you guys will have to evacuate, when you come face to face with a different Monster.
Mansion is the prequel of Hotel. You and your friends, while living out in a neighborhood, have been invited by Jack Logan for dinner at his Luxurious Mansion. Having been through hard times, you hope your presence at the dinner party will cheer him up. Turns out, he hosted the party for a specific group of guests, and his intentions may be sinister...
Camping 3 is the third sequel to Camping. You and your friends go camping at Wicka Peak, being guided by Park Rangers Daniel and Steve. After an unfortunate event involving a murder at Terra Park, hopefully things should be easier, right?
The Camping series provides examples of:
- An Arm and a Leg: On the third day, you find the Nightmare's leg trapped, ripped off, and bleeding by a Bear Trap. The Nightmare later appears with only one leg, and later is shown with a prosthetic leg.
- Big Bad: The Nightmare in the first game.
- Bribing Your Way to Victory: If you ever die, you can pay 20 Robux to respawn back into the game with full health.
- There are extra items that can make the gameplay easier, such as Medkits and Umbrella, and can be bought as gamepasses with Robux. Fortunately, those who do not want to spend Robux can find two of them scattered in the Woods at the beginning.
- Family Extermination: It is mentioned on a News poster that 4 of the Family of 5 were murdered by Zach Nolan, with one having gone missing.
- Greater-Scope Villain: One of the campers, having laced one of the picnic sandwiches with rat poison. They're the reason the Nightmare targeted the campers.
- Horrible Camping Trip: Camping and 2 take this trope to level of horror. Camping has you and your camping friends frequently targeted and attacked by a Humanoid Abomination. Camping 2 has an Ax-Crazy murderer infiltrating your camping trip.
- Hostile Weather: The rain somehow deals damage to you (less if you use an umbrella), which is why it's usually a death sentence if someone is sent to retrieve the picnic basket.
- Humanoid Abomination: The Nightmare. His form is similar of that of a Robloxian, yet is pitch black and has a disturbingly realistic Nightmare Face. He is somehow able to kidnap others unexpectedly and fill up the forest with poisonous fog.
- I Don't Like the Sound of That Place: Specky Woods. Terra Park. Gloomo Hotel. Wicka Peak. The Foreshadowing is already enough with just this.
- Luck-Based Mission: Several segments are carried out by chance. A random player is poisoned by a sandwich (god help if you do, only a medkit can save a poisoned player and there's a rare chance another player has a medkit), the slides and whether one ends in a One-Hit KO spike pit is randomized, whether it's a flood escape obby or bear cave maze is randomized, and a random player is kidnapped (usually a death spell, as the other players won't care about you for survival). Fortunately, if you have the Lucky Coin on hand, you'll be weeded out of the bad fates.
- Multiple Endings: Each game (except for Mansion) has different endings based on what the players do.
- Camping: Noteworthy that 2 of them were Downer Endings.
- Should at least 2 or more campers survive to the end, the Nightmare reveals that it was actually protecting them from the actual murderer, who is revealed to be one of the campers.
- Should only one camper survive, the Nightmare kills the camper who was planning to kill the rest of the campers, but the damage has been done.
- The secret ending obtained by throwing the lucky coin into the well. A boy in a white shirt appears facing away from the camera, but slowly turns his head around, revealing him to be the Nightmare. It's implied that he was the Sole Survivor of the murders.
- Camping 2:
- Should the campers decide to kill Daniel, it's later revealed that he wasn't the murderer, but Zach Nolan is. He then proceeds to kill the rest of the campers. Downer Ending.
- Alternatively, should the campers decide to spare Daniel, he'll help the campers escape from Zach Nolan. At the end of the obby, Daniel recognizes Zach Nolan as the Murderer of a Family of 5 at Specky Woods. However, before Zach proceeds to murder the campers, the Nightmare, who was revealed to be the Son of the Family, saves them by decapitating Zach Nolan. The Nightmare declares himself to be free afterwards, and passes on. Golden Ending. This also happens to be the canonical ending.
- The secret ending, obtained by walking into the bathroom mirror during the sequence where you gather wood. The Nightmare also appears, albeit with a cut leg. While this provides a connection to the previous game, it's unknown what happened to the murderer of the previous game, along with the rest of the campers.
- Should the guests decide to stay in their room during the Escape Sequence, hotel Service arrives. However, inside the dish is the Eldritch Abomination that resides in it, and attacks the guests. Downer Ending.
- Should the guests go down the stairs to the entrance, the police rescues the surviving guests, along with the family of five. The family then announces that they are going on a camping trip, and anyone versed with Camping lore knows how well this will go out.
- The secret ending obtained by making a detour during the penultimate sequence of the game, it features a brief cameo of Zach Nolan, who murders the guests that dare arrive, stating that he "can't have you interfering". Earn Your Bad Ending.
- Camping: Noteworthy that 2 of them were Downer Endings.
- Never Be Hurt Again: The Nightmare, after those murders happened, never wanted another murder in Specky Woods, pointing out one of the campers has murderous intentions.
- Plot Hole: The Nightmare claims that he was trying to save the other campers, which brings to question why he kidnapped one of them.
- Surprise Creepy: The standard. Starts off with a fun premise of camping, staying at a hotel, or being invited to a dinner party at the mansion, but then the Nightmare or Murderer attacks. Things get worse from there.
- They Look Just Like Everyone Else!: A random camper, despite looking like an ordinary non-suspicious Robloxian, turns out to be the murderer the Nightmare was looking for, poisoning a sandwich of the picnic basket and killing the other campers without qualms.
- Villain Protagonist: Given that one of the campers can be revealed to be the murderer, they can fit into this.
- Was Once a Man: The secret ending reveals the Nightmare was once a little human boy. It all starts when his face changes into the Nightmare's, perhaps ready for a Roaring Rampage of Revenge.
- Weakened by the Light: In the normal ending, the Nightmare is stunned by the rising sun and unable to move. The reason the Nightmare only appears at night.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: The Nightmare just wanted to protect the campers and was only attacking the campers just to go after the murderer, which is revealed to be one of the campers.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: The Nightmare, aka the Son. After going through hell with surviving the murder of his family, he has turned into the Nightmare and is willing to prevent another murder in Specky Woods and Terra Park, even if it go overboard.
- Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence: Implied in the Good Ending when the Son declares himself free and disappears after killing off Zach Nolan. His vengeance for the murder of his Family is done, thus he can peacefully pass on into the afterlife to join his Family.
- Ax-Crazy: The Murderer is quite passionate about his knife and gun, knifing and shooting the campers with glee.
- Institutional Apparel: The Murderer wears a black-and-white striped prison uniform, having been sentenced to prison already.
- Karmic Death: In the Good Ending, Zach Nolan is finally killed by the Son, the Sole Survivor of the Family of 5.
- Mirror Monster: During Daniel's tour, in the bathroom, a power outage goes off and the lights briefly dim to reveal the mirror with bloodied corpses of the campers, before the power restores and mirror goes back to normal.
- Never the Obvious Suspect: Daniel the park ranger goes under suspicion by the campers and is easily inferred to be the Murderer, because he was the only one outside the designated areas during the attack of the campsite campers and denies the attack ever happened. It turns out he was innocent all along, which is why you can Earn Your Bad Ending by choosing to kill Daniel.
- Off with His Head!: Zach Nolan's fate, by the Son at all things.
- White Mask of Doom: The Murderer has a creepy white mask with a bloody fanged smile printed on it.
- Cassandra Truth: The Family of 5 dismiss the Monster as a sarcastic joke by the guests.
- Eldritch Abomination: The Monster, later named Limbo. A tall, bipedal, all-black, somewhat frog-like creature with red eyes, bloody mouth, sharp claws, and the ability to release poisonous fog and shoot red orbs. Mansion reveals Limbo to be a Mechanical Abomination.
- Foregone Conclusion: In the Good Ending, the Family of 5 announce they're leaving to go camp in the Specky Woods. If you know the Camping lore, then you know how it will go...
- Hell Hotel: Takes place at the Gloomo Hotel, where you are continuously ambushed by an Eldritch Abomination and find a secret cursed underground floor where the murdered corpse of the receptionist lays, apparently killed by the Abomination.
- Missing Floor: When the guests attempt to go down the elevator, the elevator breaks and lands into a secret underground floor. It is apparently cursed, decorated with evil symbols and having an obby over a lethal floor. After being chased by a cursed fog, the players come upon the murdered receptionist.
- Big Fancy House: Jack Logan's Luxurious Mansion! Imposed in front of the puny neighborhood houses to see.
- Cliffhanger: The game ends with Zach Nolan right near your house.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: It is clear Jack Logan loved Emma Logan really much, executing hot-edge revenge for her death.
- "Here's Johnny!" Homage: After chasing down the players into a room, Zach Nolan tears down the door to the room with an axe and yells "HERE'S ZACHY!!!".
- Look Both Ways: If you enter the house of the Family, you can see on the TV the news that they've hit and killed a woman with their car. That woman is Emma Logan, and that's exactly the reason why her close relative wants to kill the Family.
- The Reveal: Jack Logan is Zach Nolan, the Murderer.
- We Can Rebuild Him: Jack Logan was building a robot to channel Emma Logan's spirit into. Gone Horribly Wrong, as seen in Hotel.
- You Killed My Father: Jack Logan/Zach Nolan set up his dinner party to lure those certain guests and kill them, because they killed Emma Logan.
- Back for the Dead: Zach Nolan appears to have revived as the Mouse, but the ending shows that he died trying to save the campers from the cart rolling away... Sorta.
- Call-Back: A poster detailing the events of Camping 2 can be seen in the forest.
- Dual Boss: You face both Mouse and Limbo outside the Lodge.
- No Party Like a Donner Party: At one point within the game, the party is trapped within the mine with an snow avalanche, and are forced to eat one of the members to survive.
- Not Too Dead to Save the Day: The ghosts of the Nightmare's Family briefly appear to save the Campers from being pushed down from a cliff, with the father apologizing for running over Emma.
- Redemption Equals Death: Upon realizing that the father of the Family of 5 accidentally murdered Emma and not intentionally ran her over, he saves the campers from falling down a hill at the expense of falling down himself.
- The End... Or Is It?: The game ends with Zach Nolan sacrificing himself to save the campers, and after the title drop, "To be continued?" drops, implying a possibility for a sequel.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Steve is killed within 5 minutes of the game.