WELL, WELL, WELL! Hey there, TROPE EXPLORER! THE NAME'S BILL CIPHER! You KIDS might know me from a CERTAIN popular show called GRAVITY FALLS. If not, LET ME GIVE YOU A RUNDOWN! Oh, no, NO, I INSIST! LUCKILY FOR YOU, you OVER-INDULGENT ANTISOCIAL TROLL, I'M NOT ACCEPTING OFFERINGS AT THIS TIME as I BESTOW UNHOLY KNOWLEDGE! You can keep your BLOOD, DECAPITATED PUDGY DIGITS, RECORDED SCREAMS, and MEMORABILIA of MYSELF! Now TAPE YOUR EYEBALLS OPEN, TAKE A SEAT, and KEEP SCROLLING DOWN MY PAGE as you GAZE UPON A SLIVER of SURREPTITIOUS ERUDITIONS that SAGES and CULTS have CLAMORED IN DESPERATION FOR! Make yourself comfortable while I get us a nice, warm cup of LEAD-BASED PAINT. Evergreen's my favorite.
SO ANYWAY: I've been residing in the NIGHTMARE REALM for EONS, LONG BEFORE YOUR MEAGER UNIVERSE CAME TO FRUITION. WHILE I could INTERACT WITH YOUR UNIVERSE every NOW AND THEN BY TRICKING ONE OF YOU PEONS INTO GIVING ME YOUR BODY, I was UNABLE TO TRULY ENTER YOUR DIMENSIONAL PLANE, as your realm CANNOT COMPREHEND MY EXISTENCE! BOY OH BOY, HOW I LONGED TO BE "PART OF YOUR WOOOOOORLD!".
Then one day, my chance finally arrived when a young researcher named Stanford Pines read an ancient incantation that would summon me to him. After wowing him with my knowledge and charisma, I gave him instructions on how to build an inter-dimensional gateway which I told him would help complete his research on the oddness of Gravity Falls, Oregon. In actuality, the portal had been preset to open a doorway directly to my realm which would enable me and my legion of nightmarish creatures to storm the place and take over, an event I'd like to call... can-I-get-a-drumroll-please? Weirdmageddon!
After getting wise to me, Fordsie shut down the portal and hid the instructions on how to operate it. Knowing about my ability to possess people, he became paranoid of everyone and in the end, turned to his twin brother Stanley to keep the last of his journals safe. However, when Stan suggested burning the book, the twins got in a scuffle which resulted in Fords getting sucked into the portal.
For thirty years, Stan had been trying to get the portal working again to save his brother while I waited for the gateway to my world to open. Then one summer, Stan's great niece and nephew, Mabel and Dipper (who I refer to as 'Shooting Star' and 'Pine Tree') came to visit him, and Dipper ended up finding one of Ford's other journals and began to explore the same abnormalities his great-uncle did. At the same time, a shyster named Gideon Gleeful, armed with the last of Ford's journals, encountered the Pines twins and eventually became their enemy. After a few failed attempts to steal Stan's business (really Ford's cabin), the Mystery Shack, Gideon attempted to steal Stan's deed, but couldn't crack the combination to the safe.
That's when I finally came back into the picture.
Gideon summoned me to steal the combination to the safe from Stan's mind. And I agreed, in exchange for his help with my plans to Take Over the World, though I didn't mention that part. The job nearly went without a hitch, until the Pines Twins' interfered, causing Gideon to call off the deal.
To put it simply, I...WAS...TICKED.
I then engaged the Pines' in dreamworld combat, and nearly won until Pine Tree figured how they could do the same. In the end, I called the fight a draw and departed, but not before leaving the twins a cryptic message of something to come.
Eventually, the Pines family got Gideon out of their hair for good, and Pine Tree showed the journal he had to Stan. Turns out that was just the moment Stan was waiting for. Having obtained Gideon's volume as well, he took the two journals with the one he'd had for thirty years to finally reactivate the portal and began his mission of saving Ford, unaware that activating the portal would aid me as well.
At the same time, Pine Tree and Shooting Star found their way into Ford's hidden bunker and came out with a laptop that contained information that could threaten my plans of coming to the real world. Fortunately, they didn't know the password and with Shooting Star focusing on a sock puppet play to impress her latest crush, Pine Tree was left alone to figure it out. After he went without sleep for a few days, I finally made my move and convinced him to let me help him in exchange for a puppet. With only one more entry to try before the computer's failsafe erased all the data, he accepted my offer. What he didn't know was that the puppet I wanted was him.
Ejecting him from his body, I took it over and smashed the laptop before searching for his journal to make sure he didn't get in the way of my plans. After that, I'd kill him by leaping off the water-tower and frame it as a suicide! Pain is hilarious! Unfortunately, due to a combination of fatigue, ticklishness, and my Evil Gloating making her have a Heel Realization, Shooting Star booted me out and got her brother his body back.
Eventually, Ford finally returned from the portal, which generated a rift in space-time which would enable me to open the gate. Unfortunately, Ford contained it to keep it out of my reach. However, that didn't bother me. I knew my chance would come. After I gave my old friend Fordsie a taunting reunion in his dreams, the six fingered nerd decided to shield the Mystery Shack from me, preventing me from getting at him and his family.
Too bad for him that his shield didn't protect anyone outside the Shack.
It wasn't long before the opportunity I'd been waiting for finally knocked. Just as summer was coming to an end, the globe containing the rift began to crack up, and interesting enough, the relationship between the Pines kids was as well. When Shooting Star was alone, at her most vulnerable, and had conveniently taken the backpack with the rift by mistake, I seized my chance by possessing the body of time officer Blendin' (a lackey of that detestable Time Baby) who the Pines twins had helped earlier that summer. Offering to lengthen her summer vacation in Gravity Falls in exchange for the rift, Shooting Star foolishly gave it to me and I immediately smashed it. After so many centuries, the day the gateway between Earth and my world would open had finally arrived, triggering my long-awaited Weirdmageddon!
Tropes That Deal With Me:
- Abusive Parents: If ol' Stanley thought his parents were bad, then he apparently hasn't met my folks, who were much worse than his. It's probably why I killed them off in the first place.
- Ancient Evil: I've been around for many centuries. Even moreso, unlike other beings who fit this trope who became Sealed Evil in a Can until a future date, I've been residing in the mindscape and watching the development of the world.
- Apocalypse How: My Weirdmageddon is in a class of its own!
- Arch-Enemy: To Ford and Time Baby.
- Badass Fingersnap: A signature trick of mine when I'm working my magic.
- Batman Gambit: Most of my deals hinge on this, but I've been known to employ this outside of business, such as when I tricked Pine Tree, Shooting Star, and Question Mark into leading me right to the memory of Stan's safe combination.
- Been There, Shaped History: It's been hinted that I'm responsible for the end of the dinosaurs.
- Berserk Button: I am usually pretty fun-loving, but if you mess with one of my deals or bring Time Baby into this, I WILL DESTROY YOU!
- Beware the Silly Ones: Despite my appearance and personality, I'm every bit as dangerous as my reputation suggests.
- Big Bad: You're looking at the ultimate villain of the whole show!
- Big "WHAT?!": I've let out a few of these, particularly when I found out my forces and I were trapped in Gravity Falls and when I realized Stan tricked me.
- Break Them by Talking: I like to poke fun at my enemies, rubbing my triumph in their faces with Evil Gloating and giving them The Reason You Suck Speeches. Unfortunately, it has been known to backfire on me on a few occasions.
- Can't You Read the Sign?: When Fordsie found the incantation that would call me to him, there was a warning message beside it not to read it. Too bad he was too desperate to pay attention to it.
- Caps Lock: ONE OF YOU EAGER HUMANS ASKED ME ABOUT WHY I TYPED THIS WAY IN MY AMA. ITS BECAUSE I THINK IN ALL CAPS!
- Card-Carrying Villain: Look, I already know I'm a maniac. I just don't get why you have to keep pointing out.
- The Chessmaster: I've been working behind the scenes long before Pine Tree and Shooting Star showed up. I'm pretty much the entire reason why the show happened in the first place! You're very welcome!
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: What do you mean you don't want deer teeth?
- Deal with the Devil: I'll make all your dreams come true if you help me with my plans.
- Demonic Possession: I can possess the body of anyone I can get to do a handshake deal with me.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: My own henchmaniacs were surprised when I destroyed Time Baby.
- Dragon Ascendant: When I first appeared, I was sort of a lackey to Gideon (at least until he called off our deal, much to my fury). However, after crossing over and beginning Weirdmageddon, I made Gideon work for me!
- Dragon with an Agenda: When Gideon hired me to steal the safe combination, my plans at the moment were still hidden, but I'm betting Pine Tree and Shooting Star weren't expecting what I had in store to be worse than what Gideon was up to.
- The Dreaded: Everybody is really afraid of me. Not sure why.
- Driven to Madness: Getting a peek of my dimension drove Ford's assistant Fiddleford insane to the point that he inflicted Laser-Guided Amnesia on himself to get the sight of my world out of his head. Too bad for him that he overdid it and became a crazy, demented hillbilly!
- Electric Torture: When Ford refused to tell me how to bring down Gravity Falls' weirdness barrier, I employed this method in order to either get him to talk or allow me into his mind.
- Energy Being: As I told Shooting Star, I'm made of pure energy. Unfortunately, this doesn't help me when I'm restricted by whatever limitations the body I'm possessing has (such as fatigue and ticklishness). Is it any wonder I wanted to interact with the world in person?
- Establishing Character Moment: When I pulled out a deer's teeth and gave them to Gideon after first appearing, showing both my insane personality and my ability to manipulate the mindscape.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: Can someone please explain to me what the heck empathy even is?! I don't get why Shooting Star felt bad for using her brother like a pawn. I treated Fordsy like one and not once did I felt anything but joy!
- Evil Genius: As powerful as I am, I consider my cleverness to be my most dangerous asset.
- Evil Has a Bad Sense of Humor: What do you mean bad? Oh, come on guys! I'm hilarious!
- Evil Laugh: I noticed I've been doing this a lot.
- Evil Is Hammy: I'm a Disney Big Bad, being a Large Ham is part of the job.
- Exact Words: I employ this whenever making a deal. I do deliver on what I promised, can I help it if your interpretation of it is different from mine?
- Eye Beam: You really think I wouldn't have this kind of power?
- Eye Scream: I have unfortunately experienced this a few times. And considering I only have one eye in the first place, it's a big problem for me.
- Eyes Are Mental: Whenever I possess someone's body, their eyes are replaced with my own. This is how Ford is able to tell who I'm possessing. Fortunately, I was able to fool Shooting Star when I was controlling Blendin by using his googles to hide my eye color.
- Faceless Eye: Being a triangle, it's obvious. Still, just because I don't have a face doesn't mean I can't talk or make expressions.
- Faux Affably Evil: My humor and charisma mask my true psychotic nature. You know how dangerous I am when I'm being serious.
- Forced to Watch: When I realized that Ford cared about Pine Tree and Shooting Star, I decided to use them to get Ford to allow me into his mind.
- The Fourth Wall Will Not Protect You: When Weirdmageddon began, I hijacked the opening sequence of the show! Also, the last shot of the show is live-action footage of my petrified physical form.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: I was once a regular citizen of the second dimension, but then one day, I had enough of how it was ran, and thus 'liberated' it and took charge. It was so much fun that I wanted to do it again with your dimension!
- Good Thing You Can Heal: Being made of pure energy, I'm capable of regenerating myself. Unfortunately, it's such a pain when I have to regenerate my eye.
- Grand Theft Me: While I'm perfectly capable of taking over one's body through their mind, when I hijacked Pine Tree's body, I actually ousted his spirit.
- Hidden Agenda Villain: For the majority of the series, until the moment when my plans were revealed.
- Hidden Depths: I bet you would never have guessed that I could play the piano!
- Hypocritical Humor: Seriously, why is everyone calling me a Hypocrite just because I called Shooting Star's friend with the grotty voice a monster? I mean, seriously, she's an unnatural freak!
- I Let You Win: Despite what Pine Tree thinks, those times he and his sister 'defeated' me were actually me throwing the fight. I knew those two would be of more use to me alive.
- Immortals Fear Death: I've existed for over a trillion years, believing nothing in the world could hurt me. When I realized for the first time in my life that I could actually be destroyed, of course I got panicky.
- Just Following Orders: When Pine Tree used my invading of Stan's mind as a reason not to make a deal with me, I replied 'it was just a job'. Of course, that doesn't mean I wasn't having fun with it.
- Karmic Death: In a cruel twist of fate, I ended up becoming a victim of a lousy deal.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: When presenting myself to the people of Gravity Falls, most of them try to defy me, except that rich guy Preston Northwest who offered to work for me instead. I decided to shuffle the holes on his face instead. Don't feel bad for him, even before he tried selling his planet out to me, that guy decided his reputation was so important he wouldn't let normal people in his party even though doing that would bring out a vengeful ghost that almost killed him and his family.
- Lack of Empathy: I see what I do causing people people pain, I just don't care.
- Laughably Evil: They may tell you that I'm a sadistic monster, but even they have to admit that my lines are pure comedy gold!
- Literally Shattered Lives: My ultimate fate when Stan punched me.
- Lotus-Eater Machine: In return for giving me the rift, I granted Shooting Star's wish for an endless summer by placing her in a giant bubble that made her every desire come true. In addition, anyone who entered the realm would be subjected to its temptations as well. I even said that it would take a will of raw titanium to resist its power. Too bad that's the kind of will Pine Tree had.
- The Mad Hatter: I'm crazy and I'm proud!
- Me's a Crowd: I'm quite capable of splitting myself into numerous copies. In a deleted scene, three of me even had a conversation regarding Pine Tree's crush on the cashier girl.
- Mind Rape: A favorite pastime of mine is warping memories and messing up mindscapes.
- The Muse: When I first introduced myself to Ford, I told him that I was a being who chose a talented genius to inspire every millennia. The poor sap fell for it hook, line, and sinker!
- Must Be Invited: The only way I can enter a person's mind (even after I had crossed over and gained infinite power), is if they shake my hand and let me. Of course, they don't necessarily need to know that it's part of the deal they're making with me.
- My Parents Are Dead: My entire family died centuries ago. Because I was the one who killed them!
- Nice Hat: I never leave home without my tophat.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain!: As much as it pains me to admit it, my villainous taunting of Shooting Star may have made her realize how much she'd been a Heel to her brother, which in turned ruined my attempt to get Journal #3. I learned my lesson, however, when I used Blandin to get the rift from her, refraining from any of my Evil Gloating until after I had succeeded.
- The Nicknamer: I had a tendency to give everyone nicknames: Dipper (Pine Tree), Mabel (Shooting Star), the handyman (Question Mark), Ford (Sixer). It may or may not have something to do with the symbols on my wheel.
- No Nonsense Villain: I didn't beat around the bush when I obliterated Time Baby.
- Omnicidal Maniac: My true goal is bring about the apocalypse on a universal level!
- The Omniscient: As I told Gideon, I know lots of things.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Oh yeah, did I mention that "Bill Cipher" is not my real name? It's basically a dimensional username- a primitive grunt designed for your analog ears! If you heard my true name you'd evaporate into dust with an expression of horror and ecstasy on your face! Which would be fun but would probably ruin the rug!
- Psychic-Assisted Suicide: Though I didn't outright say it at the time, during the incident where I hijacked Pine Tree's body, after getting rid of his journal, I was going to throw his body off the water tower so the kid's spirit wouldn't have a home to return to! Too bad Shooting Star spoiled the fun.
- Reality Warper: At first I was limited to only manipulating the mindscape, but when my When Dimensions Collide plan came to fruition, I became a full-fledged manipulator of reality. Though it wasn't enough to let me leave the boundaries of Gravity Falls.
- Sadist: Pain is hilarious! Whether it happens to me or someone else.
- Sense Freak: One of the things I really like about inhabiting a body is the fact that I can feel. I enjoy it so much that I'm not even bothered by feeling pain, especially since it's someone else who ends up with it!
- Shapeshifter Swan Song: Had a rather creepy one in my final moments as I was being erased by the memory gun.
- Shout-Out: A lot of you think I eerily resemble the symbol of the Illuminati. The heck do you mean? I don't wanna rule the world; I wanna destroy it!
- Sinister Surveillance: I'm able to view the world through any depiction of me, literally keeping an eye on everyone.
- Smart People Play Chess: During my introduction with Ford, I invited him to a game of interdimensional chess. It could also be considering a Visual Pun of me as a Chessmaster.
- Smug Snake: Let's see, so my competition is a bunch of snot-nosed brats, their great-uncles, and a giant, talking baby. HAHAHA! You're kidding, right?
- Taken for Granite: After entering the real world, I turned the majority of Gravity Falls' population into statues and constructed myself a throne out of them.
- There Was a Door: I found it annoying when the front door of my Fearamid kept getting smashed in.
"I just fixed that door!"
- Vagueness Is Coming: I left the Pines kids with a few cryptic messages about things to come whenever we met.
- Villain Has a Point: While I only brought it up to trick him, Pine Tree had to admit that I was right that he had been sacrificing a lot for his sister and she hadn't returned the favor very often. Unfortunately, this ended up biting me in the butt when rubbing the fact in her face made Shooting Star have a Jerkass Realization.
- Villains Want Mercy: I'm not proud of the fact that I begged for my life, but considering I was in the process of being erased, I think you can understand my reasons.
- Villainous Breakdown: I don't like to talk about it, but due to the humiliation the Pines twins put me through when they challenged my rule, I slowly lost my cool. Then when I was getting erased from existence, I freaked out.
- Villain Song: I was working on plans to announce my inauguration as the new manager of Gravity Falls with appropriate style in the form of a grand ol' song and dance routine. Even had a catchy title and everything: "It's Gonna Get Weird". Unfortunately, it had to be cut for time. Pfft, show business can be such a finicky area of work at times, let me tell ya.
- Voice of the Legion: I have a tendency to speak like this when I want to be intimidating.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: I can take on many different forms, including a few One Winged Angels, grow and shrink at will, and at one point, even disguised myself as Question Mark.
- We Can Rule Together: I offered Ford the chance to join my team and become an all-powerful being in exchange for aiding me in escaping Gravity Falls. He turned me down.
- When Dimensions Collide: My master plan was to open a rift between Earth and my home, the Nightmare Realm, allowing me and my henchmaniacs to move in. It took over a billion years, but it finally came to fruition. Too bad it didn't last long.
- Would Hurt a Child: And turn them into corpses!
- Xanatos Speed Chess: No matter what snag my plan to enter the real world hit (barring the Pines' interfering in my deal with Gideon), it didn't really bother me, as I either had a backup plan or figured I could use the current situation to my advantage.
- You Wouldn't Like Me When I'm Angry: As I put, I can be even scarier when I'm mad.
- You Fool!: To Stan Pines when he pulls a Taking You with Me by having his mind erased while I was trapped in there.
- You're Insane!: People keep telling me this all the time. Well, I know I am! And isn't that just great?!