Alexander Robert "Alex" Hirsch (born June 18, 1985) is the creator of the Disney show, Gravity Falls, where he also provides the voices of many characters, including Stan Pines and Jesus "Soos" Alzamirano Ramirez. He based a lot of the series on his own childhood experiences.
Prior to Gravity Falls, he got his start at Cartoon Network storyboarding on The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack (Pendleton Ward of Adventure Time fame was his board partner). He went on to co-develop Fish Hooks for Disney before moving onto his masterpiece.
After Gravity Falls ended its run in 2016 (with the stated intention of avoiding Seasonal Rot), he became involved in the film industry co-writing the story for Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. He also provided some contributions for the story of Pokémon: Detective Pikachu, but left during the final stages of pre-production.
He recently wrote a graphic novel titled, Gravity Falls: Lost Legends.
Roles played by Alex Hirsch
- Fish Hooks: Clamantha, Fumble
- Gravity Falls: Stan Pines, Soos Ramirez, Old Man McGucket, Bill Cipher, Jeff, Schmebulock, Carson, Steve, Jason, Nate, Constable, Ducktective, Grampton St. Rumpterfrabble, Paper Jam Dipper, Quentin Trembley, Sev'ral Timez, Chadley, Mayor Befufftlefumpter, Schmebulock Senior, Ducktective's twin brother, Fairy dust dealer, Dippy Fresh, and the Horrifying, Sweaty, One-Armed Monstrosity after Louis C.K.'s sexual misconduct came to light.
- Phineas and Ferb: Officer Concord the Juice Time Juice Box Flavor Cop
- Rick and Morty: Toby Matthews
- Wander over Yonder: Old Man, Soosy Du
- Star vs. the Forces of Evil: Ben Fotino
- We Bare Bears: The Internet Troll
Tropes associated with Alex Hirsch's works:
- Man of a Thousand Voices: Each of the characters that he voices sounds vastly different.
- Playing Gertrude: He was nearing his 30s during Gravity Falls' run, yet he voiced the 60+ Stan Pines, Old Man McGucket, and the 100+ Mayor Befufftlefumpter.
- Trolling Creator: There's a very good reason he's the trope picture, as he did this quite a bit during Gravity Falls' run. Highlights include:
- Alex replied to a tweet regarding season two, saying that "at least one character will not survive the season. Buckle up". Mayor Befufftlefumpter, a 100+ year-old minor character, passed on.
- The most famous and the reason he's the picture: creating a fake spoiler image of McGucket writing in one of the journals to throw fans off, "leaked" said image on 4chan, posted a Tweet feigning anger and later deleting said tweet, then gloating in a later tweet about the whole thing after "Society of the Blind Eye" aired (where it was revealed that McGucket was merely an assistant to the Author, not the Author himself).
- Fans had theorized about the purpose of the ten symbols depicted around Bill at the end of the theme song and in "Dreamscaperers": In "Weirdmageddon 3: Take Back The Falls", the Zodiac turns out to relate to a prophecy to defeat Billand ends up never being used.
- Write What You Know:
- Gravity Falls was based on trips Hirsch and his sister took with their grand-aunt.
- The episode "Dungeons, Dungeons, and More Dungeons" was based on attending a Dungeons & Dragons game with Adventure Time creator Pendleton Ward and Over the Garden Wall creator Patrick McHale during the trio's time on The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack.
- Write Who You Know: Gravity Falls was mostly based on Hirsch's childhood, with Mabel based on Alex's sister Ariel, Stan based on their grandfather, Soos based on a roommate of Alex's, Wendy based on a girl Alex had a crush on, and a number of Wendy's ex-boyfriends were named after many of Ariel's.