While the team continues to formulate plans to save Iris, and learn to deal with their new team mate Julian, Gypsy, a collector from Earth-19 comes hunting down H.R.
- All Guys Want Cheerleaders: Well, Wally certainly does. Barry, who only has eyes for Iris, was "a good boy".
- Almost Kiss: Cisco and Gypsy almost kiss during their farewell before Gypsy returns to Earth-19.
- Ascended Meme: After the opening act, Flash and Kid Flash leave the scene, leaving behind a lightning bolt-shaped trail. Either one (or both of them) really did run backwards twice...
- BFG: H.R. is wielding a huge Wave-Motion Gun in his Imagine Spot.
- The Cameo: Eve Teschmacher shows up during the National City portion of the Vibe's fight.
- Chekhov's Lecture: Julian shows Cisco a video about Gypsy's attack patters. Cisco ultimately capitalizes on it.
- Continuity Nod:
- Convection Schmonvection: At one point during Gypsy and Cisco's fight, they end up at what looks like a volcano, and although there's visible lava, none of them seem to be hurt by it.
- Crack Defeat: Gypsy is unquestionably more skilled and experienced than Cisco. However, he managed to beat her due to Julian's aforementioned Chekhov's Lecture.
- David vs. Goliath: Vibe vs. Gypsy is set up this way throughout the episode, given that the former is still starting out with his powers (particularly when used for combat) while the latter has a worldwide reputation as a bounty hunter on her Earth and already bests Vibe, The Flash, and Kid Flash throughout the episode prior to the duel.
- A Day In The Lime Light: This episode was heavily focused on giving both Cisco and Iris badass moments galore.
- Cisco taking on a deadly Bounty Hunter in a duel to the death.
- Iris leading Wally in dismantling an illegal high tech gun cartel.
- Eating the Eye Candy:
- Wally is quick to oblige the group of cheerleaders when asked to take a group selfie.
- Cisco can't help but take notice of Gypsy's beauty, even when she's breaking into STAR Labs. Gypsy is also noticing Cisco's beauty.
- "Eureka!" Moment: Barry realizes that there is a way to save Iris from her fate 5 months later, and it's been in front of him the whole time.Barry to Wally: I'm not going to save Iris from Savitar. You are.
- Face Death with Dignity:
- H.R. is willing to turn himself over to Gypsy to face punishment for his crime of illegal dimension crossing, which on Earth-19 is punishable by death, if it means keeping his friends safe.
- Iris has no fear that she may die in four months at Savitar's hands, and rather wants to ensure she does some good on her part in the time she may have left.
- After Cisco's victory, Gypsy is willing to forfeit her life, as agreed beforehand.
- Fearless Fool: Iris believes that because she is possibly destined to die in May 2017, she is thus effectively "protected" by the universe until that time, and so has no problem rushing into life-threatening situations if her job calls for it.
- Felony Misdemeanor: Dimension crossing is a serious offense, punishable by death, on Earth-19. This is due to them being subjected to an invasion by another parallel Earth at some point in their history.
- Fighting Across Time and Space: In their battle, Cisco and Gypsy teleport across a few different Earths, traveling to Earth-2 from season 2, Earth-38 from Supergirl, and a volcanic setting on an unknown Earth.
- Foe Romance Subtext: Both Cisco and Gypsy show a mutual attraction to one another.Caitlin: Cisco, what was that back there? First Golden Glider, now her!
- Foreshadowing: Cisco tells H.R. that the risk he (Cisco) took was an investment so H.R could repay with a heroic act.
- Friendly Enemy: Gypsy is willing to chat with Team Flash despite her deadlines for them. Special mention goes to Cisco, whom she has a very strong Foe Romantic Subtext with.
- Geeky Turn-On: Gypsy referencing his favorite movie, This is Spın̈al Tap, is enough to get the already attracted Cisco going, even mid-fight.Gypsy: Time to turn things up to 11.
Cisco: (awestruck) Spinal Tap, that's one of my favorite movi-
(Gypsy slams him into a Vibe Portal)
- Gilligan Cut: When Iris and Wally team up to take down a perp CCPD's been having trouble with, Wally assures Joe will be cool with it. Cut to the Cortex, with Joe mid-rant, chewing their asses out.
- Good Versus Good: Team Flash vs Gypsy. On one side superheroes trying to protect their friend, on the other interdimensional cop trying to catch a criminal. No real bad guy in this conflict.
- Horrible Judge of Character: Wally really should've known better then to think Joe would approve of him and Iris' attempting to take down a CCPD perp.Wally: Don't worry dad's like my biggest fan now, he's totally cool with me doing stuff like this.Joe: Hell no I ain't cool with this!
- Imagine Spot: While hammily narrating the opening scene, H.R. comes to Barry's aid against some thugs, armed with a vortex cannon. Cisco had to call him twice to snap him back out of his daydream and back to reality.
- I Want Grandkids: Inverted. Joe looks like he's about to have a stroke when Iris has him thinking she and Barry want kids.
- Jerkass: Being a member of Team Flash hasn't toned down Julian's tendencies to be a dick.(On Cisco's victory against Gypsy)
Caitlin: (excitedly) He did it!
Barry: Yeah he did!
Julian: She must be having been an off day.
(Barry and Caitlin end their celebration and glare at Julian)
Julian: (sharply) What!?
- Jerkass Has a Point: Barry admits that Julian is totally right about his chances against Savitar, no matter how insensitive he is about the matter.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: H.R. has been shipping his novel back to Earth-19, with himself as the protagonist. Caitlin chimes in that Barry would probably make a better lead, to H.R.'s confusion.
- H.R. expresses his appreciation for Earth-1's soap operas, an ongoing story where each episode is a chapter, similar to the format of the CW shows and their ongoing arcs.
- Leitmotif: When in National City, Supergirl's Theme can be heard briefly in the background.
- Lethal Lava Land: An unnumbered Earth in The Multiverse that Cisco and Gypsy fought in is one.
- Must Have Caffeine: Although Earth-19's laws against dimensional travel also make it a related crime to bring goods in from other dimensions, Gypsy can't help herself from taking back mass quantities of coffee due to the lack of same on her world.
- Mythology Gag:
- Nailed to the Wagon: Turns out that Earth-19 suffered some form of blight in the recent past which rendered the coffee plant extinct or nearly so, thus depriving the people there of their java. When Gypsy returns home she does so with shopping bags full of coffee.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Barry and H.R. attempted to weaken Gypsy before her and Cisco's Trial by Combat. Unfortunately for them, she picks up their plan, leading to H.R.'s capture and her gaining leverage over her deal with Team Flash.
- Shout-Out: During their battle, Gypsy and Cisco vibe themselves to a lava planet.
- Token Evil Teammate: Evil is a stretch, but given Team Flash's history of being staunchly of the White Morality, Julian is willing to see the shades of gray, suggesting that maybe giving H.R. over to Earth-19 authority, where he will be executed for his crimes, is the best course of action, given that he broke their laws, and that it could be beneficial towards Barry and Iris' future.
- Trial by Combat: Between Cisco and Gypsy, for H.R.'s life and custody.
- True Companions: Annoying as they may find him, Team Flash still feels a loyalty toward H.R. and Cisco even challenges Gypsy to a duel to the death over him.
- Iris when trying to distract Joe from Wally, mentions that she and Barry are planning to expand their family. She follows this revelation up by questioning whether he believes Barry is a Dog person or a Cat person, to Joe's relief.
- Gypsy before leaving to return to Earth-19 leans in as if to share a Big Damn Kiss with Cisco, only to Vibe herself back home mid lean.
- Iris impatiently waiting for her speedster boyfriend to finish reading the article she wrote on Wally, only for Barry to reveal he had already read it five times by that point.
- Unexpected Character: Cisco and Gypsy Vibe themselves onto Earth-38, specifically James' office at CatCo. They end up frightening Eve Teschmacher, who had been working late.Eve: Is it just me or is this city getting weirder?
- What the Hell, Hero?:
- Cisco chastises Barry after knowing his plan, especially because it was a bad idea and showed distrust over Cisco.
- Joe scolds Iris for her reckless attitude with the drug dealer. Wally does it before.
- Would Hit a Girl: Justified, given that the Villain of the Week is female. Iris also invokes this, but Wally saves her in time.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are:
- Barry when questioning Iris' rash actions when she and Wally took down a CCPD perp, Iris reveals she doesn't want to be like her Mom and leave nothing behind if she dies in the Bad Future. Barry reminds her that her mother didn't accomplish nothing, she left behind both his close friend Wally, and the woman he loves, Iris, therefore Iris' life does have meaning, and later ensures her she will do good with her career as a journalist.
- Barry also assures Cisco that, despite earlier actions he and H.R. took to the contrary, he does believe in him, and that when push comes to shove Cisco will be able to handle himself if he uses his intellect in his fight and not just his powers.
- You Can't Go Home Again: Since Gypsy fakes H.R.'s death, she warns him that he can never return to Earth-19.
- You Have GOT to Be Kidding Me!: H.R.'s reaction to Cisco essentially flirting with the woman who just shot him.