Red Hot Catholic Love is a 2002 episode of South Park. The plot pokes fun at the sexual molestation of children scandals in the Roman Catholic Church as well as atheists.
When Father Maxi informs the children about the Young Men's Catholic Retreat many adults in South Park don't want their kids to go, because of all the pedophilia scandals in the Catholic Church. As a result, many convert to atheism. Meanwhile, the children have no idea why they are being asked whether "Father Maxi, at any time, ever tried to put something in your butt" and misinterpret the question, trying to find a way and succeeding to put food into their rectums and defecate through the mouth.
Father Maxi goes to a meeting of Catholic priests in Colorado where he is outraged over the fact that many priests are actually in favor of child molestation. He decides to go all the way to the Vatican and The Pope to settle the matter...
Note: This episode should NOT be confused with How To Eat With Your Butt, where Cartman's latest prank (putting Kenny's school photo where only his butt is exposed on a milk carton) backfires when an actual couple with butts for faces comes to South Park searching for their missing child and Cartman suddenly blows a "funny fuse," which he thinks is from seeing something so funny that he can never laugh again (but others think is from guilt).
This episode provides examples of:
- Art Shift: When Maxi runs the gauntlet to retrieve the Holy Document of Vatican Law, it turns into Pitfall.
- Artistic License Biology: According to the Surgeon General, eating with your butt is healthier. It breaks down the food sufficiently as it goes through the intestines, and thus preventing high cholesterol and stomach cancers. Of course, he based that on "absolutely nothing."
- Ask a Stupid Question...: When Cartman first tries to defecate from his mouth, he asked his friends to turn around because he can't crap with them staring. But they think he'll crap from his butt and say it came from his mouth. He asked if he would really lie to them like that. They just glare at him.Cartman: (annoyed) Ugh, goddammit you guys, this is so seriously.
- Bizarre Alien Biology: Apparently the Gelgamek vagina is 3ft wide and filled with razor-sharp teeth (hence why they're in favour of sex with children).
- Christianity Is Catholic: Many people are suddenly Catholic in town, as the script demands them to be.
- Comically Missing the Point: The very reason why defecating through the mouth became a trend is because the children misinterpreted a question whether they were ever sodomized by Father Maxi.
- Also, the priests don't get why the children they molest keep reporting them to their parents and the police. Father Maxi tells them the molestation is the problem.
- Corrupt Church: The Catholic Church uses a "Holy Document of Vatican Law" that doesn't prohibit child molestation. Even worse, the "highest authority" the Vatican answers to isn't even God but a giant queen spider from another dimension.
- Dirty Old Man: The priests except for Maxi are all proud pedophiles.
- Everyone Has Standards: It's one thing for Father Maxi to have sex with a woman in a confession booth, but even he finds molesting children repulsive.
- Giant Spider: The Vatican apparently worships a giant spider, rather than God. Unless she's ranked just below God.
- Grossup Closeup: Anytime somebody is portrayed pooping out of their mouths. (Except in syndication and daytime Comedy Central airings, where they cut to a black screen until the crapping's done.)
- Hollywood Atheist: The Hollywood Atheism notion is satirized when the adults convert to atheism just because other Catholic priests (while not including their own) out there molested children, thus they figured that should discredit not just Catholicism as a whole (and apparently had not heard of religions outside of Catholicism) but religion in general.Mr. Stotch: Yeah, let's kill God!Randy: Um, no, let's just be atheists.Mr. Stotch: Same thing.
- Insane Troll Logic: Instead of waiting to know whether or not Maxi is a pedophile, the parents of South Park decide they had enough with what the Catholic Church has become and chose to become atheist.
- Load-Bearing Boss: Or Load-Bearing Document in this case— when Maxi tears the Holy Document of Vatican Law in two after losing his temper at the other members of the Church, the Vatican crumbles/implodes, leaving behind a whole bunch of dead pedos in its' wake.
- Locked Out of the Loop: Maxi is surprised at the fact the Gelgameks have joined the Catholic Church, and at the "Queen Spider" that apparently runs the Vatican.
- Mistaken for Pedophile: The town's parents become concerned that Father Maxi is molesting their boys, which he isn't. Maxi investigates claims of molestation within the Church and discovers he's the only Catholic priest in the world (and apparently other worlds, as the Gelgameks demonstrate) who doesn't molest children.
- Money Fetish: Instead of spending the 20 dollars Cartman won from Kyle when he bet Cartman couldn't crap out of his mouth, he first exchanges them into 20 1 dollar bills so that he can throw them into the air and have them rain on him, and then he further exchanges those into 80 quarters so that he can pour them into a kiddie pool and swim in them.
- Premature Encapsulation: The South Park episode "How To Eat With Your Butt" revolves around Kenny taking his school photo with his butt sticking out of the hood in his parka instead of his face. This episode has a similar premise.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: At the time when this episode aired the Catholic Church's child molestation scandals were in the news a lot.
- Sanity Ball: Father Maxi in all previous episodes before this one was a hypocrite who'd have sex with women in the confessional booth or try to scare the kids into being more religious by telling them they're going to Hell. But here he's by far the most loyal and genuinely faithful Catholic priest in possibly the entire world (and galaxy), expressing disgust, horror, and annoyance at how ridiculous the Catholic authority figures have become in their quest to uphold Vatican law to the word.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Chef.Chef: Hello there, children!
Stan: Chef! What would a priest want to stick up my butt?
- The 'Catholic Boat' sequence lampoons The Love Boat.
- The name Priest Maxi is a reversal of Maxi Priest, an English reggae singer.
- The great queen spider worshiped by the Catholics is a reference to the 1970s Doctor Who serial Planet of the Spiders.
- The old monk in the St. Peter's catacombs, and especially the line "What is your quest, Father?" is a reference to Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
- The old monk also resembles Desaad.
- Priest Maxi's adventures through the catacombs after the Holy Document is a trip through Pitfall.
- Take That!: Catholics are ridiculed for the priest molesting children scandals in their church, the Pope for being in such ill condition that he can no longer properly rule, and Christian fundamentalists for blindly obeying rules. On the other side of the spectrum, atheists are ridiculed by making them defecate out of their mouth every time after making an anti-religious statement.
- Tempting Fate: Kyle rhetorically asks if Cartman wants a medal for proving a person can crap out their mouth...at which point the news reporter on TV announces Cartman is to be given a medal, much to Kyle's fury.
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: Only Father Maxi is baffled by a race of aliens known as Gelgameks who have apparently joined the church at some point; he's equally baffled by the Queen Spider when she is revealed, but the other clergymen present take it all in stride.
- X Must Not Win: Cartman is gloatful over winning the 20 dollar bet that he could find a way of making people defecate through their mouth. Yet Kyle being a Graceful Loser makes him so angry he storms off and even leaves the money behind.