The Fang Gang decide that the only way to discover what the Beast is up to is to bring back Angelus.
- All Just a Dream / Lotus-Eater Machine: The entire episode - featuring a tidy resolution of all of Angel's problems, emotional, personal or supernatural - turned out to be a fantasy constructed by a spell to orchestrate the removal of his soul by giving Angel a moment of perfect happiness.
- Barehanded Blade Block: Well it's easy when your skin is made of rock.
- Buxom Is Better: Inverted as Cordelia laments her endowments when the gang has to ease their way through a hallway without ringing the bells that are hung on leather straps.Cordelia: I knew you two would get me in trouble some day.
- Booby Trap: And it nearly gets Cordy's boobies trapped.
- Building Is Welding: Constructing Angelus' cage.
- Call-Back: Wo-Pang, the mystic used to remove Angel's soul is dressed in a similar fashion to the one used for the same purpose in BTVS "Enemies". The previous one, however, was a demon dressed in black, this is an Asian wearing red.
- Contrived Coincidence: Which might clue you in the fact that its All Just a DreamAngel: How is it a sword from the 3rd Century is conveniently located here in Los Angeles?Cordelia: I don't think it is. I mean, I get the impression that somehow it's accessible from like a hundred points all over the world.Connor: How's that work?Cordelia: I don't know. I just get the visions, not the Cliff's Notes.
- Conveniently Timed Attack from Behind: Connor turning up to help Angel fight the Beast.
- Creator In-Joke: Angel repeats Joss Whedon's famous saying about giving people what they need, as opposed to what they want.
- Driven to Suicide: Wo-Pang kills himself so he can't be made to talk.
- Dynamic Entry: Wo-Pang is having a nice quiet incantation when some rude limey chucks one of his mooks onto his ceremonial circle.
- Evil Laugh: He's back...
- Evil Sounds Deep: Errr, not any more. What happened to the Beast's gravelly voice?
- Forgotten Phlebotinum: eh guys, remember that a simple drug can bring Angelus back temporarily?
- Friendship Moment: Wes apologizing to Angel.
- From Dress to Dressing: After bandaging Wesley when he gets an Impaled Palm from a Booby Trapped door, Cordelia points out that she doesn't have enough shirt for the rest of them.
- Good Is Dumb: ApparentlyAngel: You're saying Angelus is smarter than me.
Cordelia: No, I mean....you're smart. He's just—
Cordelia: But in that twisted, sadistic, ruthless kind of way.
Angel: Like the Beast.
Cordelia: Yes. Exactly. They think alike, always a step or two ahead of us. I mean, what is it about evil that jacks up the I.Q. points?
- Heroes Prefer SwordsAngel: Did you hear that? There's a sword. A sword to kill the Beast. And you wanted to turn me into Angelus by having an evil shaman cut off my head, not that that wasn't a swell plan, too.
- Human Notepad: Wo-Pang, in Angel's fantasyLorne: Is there any part of this guy that doesn't have writing all over it? Scratch that; I don't want to know.
- Impaled Palm: Wesley presses a symbol to activate the door — a stake pierces his palm.
- Inadvertent Entrance CueAngel: I gotta do this. I gotta find the Beast— (the Beast bursts through the front door and walks into the lobby) Oh, there it is.
- Indy Hat Roll
- Ironic Echo: Angel repeats Cordy's "Deal with it" to Connor. Plus Connor repeating back Angel's words to him from the season premiere.
- It's All About Me: Angel's words to Connor "It's not all about you. What you want isn't always what other people need." take on another meaning when you realise this is all Angel's fantasy. The words apply equally to himself — Angel accepts Wesley's apology, but doesn't seem to think that he ought to do so for the Vorpal Pillow thing.
- Let's Split Up, Fang Gang
- Love Confession: Cordelia finally tells Angel what he wants to hear.
- Malevolent Masked Men: Wo-Pang in Angel's fantasy
- Neck Lift: The Beast to Angel.
- Only Smart People May Pass: Wesley works out the letter combination to raise the stone wall. Eventually.
- Orbital Kiss: Cangel kissage.
- Our Souls Are Different: For one thing, they can be kept in jars.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Wo-Pang when he turns evil.
- Rousing Speech: Angel's "pep talky thing". His The Power of Friendship speech is a lot more convincing.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Gwen's reaction, apparently. She doesn't return until the sun is shining again.
- Shout-Out: To Indiana Jones (lampshaded in the next episode). Gunn refers to Wesley as the Rogue Warrior which makes sense as he's become Richard Marcinko fighting vampires.
- Soul Jar
- Staking the Loved One: SpoofedAngel: If anything should go wrong with Angelus, you're gonna have to kill me.Connor: [Instantly] Okay.Angel: If... anything goes wrong.
- Spikes of Doom / Why Did It Have To Be Stakes?Angel: Wood. Why'd it have to be wood?
- Spot of TeaWesley: Fred, would you mind brewing some tea for our guest?Fred: Oh, um, sure. Right this way, Mr. Pang. Any special tea you..?Wo-pang: How about Orange Zinger?
- Suggestive Collision: Cangel again. This one leads to a Big Damn Kiss.
- Sword of Plot Advancement
- Tempting Fate: Wesley is working out the code to raise the wall.Cordelia: This is it, you did— (the wall lowers back down) You didn't.
- Angel removes the sword and says that things are starting to look— then the glowy ball thing turns red and giant stone support pillars start crashing to the ground.
- Twist Ending / Yank the Dog's Chain
- Wangst: Though justified In-Universe as this is Angel's fantasy, so it reflects how he sees Connor.Connor: Everything's going to hell because of you. You're the reason that the sun is gone, that I don't have a home to go back to. You're the reason that she— It's you. You're the reason my life sucks.
- We Can Rule Together / The TripleBeast: We could rule this world. Why do you oppose me?Angel: Rain of fire, blocking out the sun, and you just kinda piss me off.
- Why We Can't Have Nice Things: Gunn chopping a table in half while trying out the Sword of Bosh M'ad.
- Wrong Name Outburst: Angel says Buffy's name - not Cordelia's - as he loses his soul. According to David Fury, though, this was simply Angel remembering when he last lost his soul in BTVS "Surprise".