You make me feel I'm dirt, and I'm hurt
And if I start a commotion
I run the risk of losing you, and that's worse
Ever fallen in love with someone ever fallen in love,
In love with someone ever fallen in love,
In love with someone you shouldn't have fallen in love with?"
Buzzcocks are an English Punk Rock band who were one of the innovators of the Manchester music scene; they were also one of the most popular British punk bands, along with The Clash, Sex Pistols, The Damned, and Generation X. They were one of the first punk bands to release a record (their debut EP, Spiral Scratch) on a local indie label. However, they're best known for being the Ur-Example of the Pop Punk genre, which has led groups like Green Day to cite them as an influence. They also gave the name to Never Mind the Buzzcocks.
Founding member and Face of the Band Pete Shelley passed away on 6 December 2018.
- Steve Diggle - Guitar, vocals (197781, 1989), bass (197677)
- Chris Remington - Bass (2008)
- Danny Farrant - Drums (2006)
- Pete Shelley - Vocals, guitar (197681, 19892018)
- Howard Devoto - Lead vocals (197677)
- Garth Smith - Bass (1976, 1977)
- Mick Singleton - Drums (1976)
- John Maher - Drums (197681, 1989, 1992)
- Barry Adamson - Bass (1977)
- Steve Garvey - Bass (197781, 198992)
- Mike Joyce - Drums (199091)
- Steve Gibson - Drums (1992)
- Tony Barber - Bass (19922008)
- Phil Barker - Drums (19922006)
Studio Album Discography:
- Another Music in a Different Kitchen (1978)
- Love Bites (1978)
- A Different Kind of Tension (1979)
- Trade Test Transmissions (1993)
- All Set (1996)
- Modern (1999)
- Buzzcocks (2003)
- Flat-Pack Philosophy (2006)
- The Way (2014)
- Singles Going Steady (1979), which collected the band's singles up to that point. Originally the group's introduction to the American market (which had passed on their first two albums), it became popular enough to rate a British release as well.
I just want a troper like any other, what do I get?:
- The Band Minus the Face: Averted when original frontman Howard Devoto left to form Magazine; Pete Shelley took over the singing and became Face of the Band, but it has happened again with Shelley's death.
- Cluster Shit Bomb: "Oh Shit".
- A Date with Rosie Palms: What the titular "Orgasm Addict" does when he's alone.
- Epic Rocking: Relative to the rest of their material, "Why Can't I Touch It?" (6:38) and "I Believe" (7:09).
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: "Ever Fallen in Love (With Someone You Shouldn't've)".
- Extreme Libido: The song "Orgasm Addict":You're a kid Casanova, you're-a no JosephIt's a labor of love, fucking yourself to deathOrgasm addict, you're an orgasm addict
- Ironic Echo: Went on tour in 1979 with Joy Division in support months before Ian Curtis killed himself. Went on tour in 1994 as support for Nirvana... weeks before Kurt Cobain killed himself.
- Long-Runner Line-up: The Shelley-Diggle-Barber-Barker lineup lasted from 19922006 and qualifies as a Type 2.
- Missed the Bus: "Something's Gone Wrong Again": "Nothing ever happens to people like us, 'cept we miss the bus".
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: Usually a 56 on their more overtly Pop Punk numbers (the distorted guitars and fast drumming do most of the work), with the more experimental songs on their later albums sometimes dropping somewhat lower on the scale.
- Pop Punk: Unlike many of their peers (besides The Ramones), Buzzcocks played well-crafted pop songs, only louder and faster. Also, Pete Shelley's voice is much higher and melodic than those of many punk singers of the time.
- Questioning Title?: "What Do I Get?"
- Really Gets Around/Rule of Funny: The protagonist of "Orgasm Addict" is apparently getting off to butcher's assistants, bellhops, winos, heads of state, international women with no body hair...
- Silly Love Songs: "Ever Fallen in Love (With Someone You Shouldn't've)", "What Do I Get?"
- The Slacker:The narrator of "Boredom".
- Step Up to the Microphone: Steve Diggle's vocal turns could be considered to fit this, though he does sing on every album at least once. The only time a Diggle-led track has been the A-side of a single was with "Harmony in My Head".