Tropes pertaining to moments where characters smile. Smiling is a facial expression in which the eyes brighten and the corners of the mouth curve slightly upward. It expresses various emotions, especially happiness, amusement, pleasure, approval, or sometimes scorn.
Compare Happiness Tropes.
Contrast Tear Tropes.
Might see usage of some Teeth Tropes.
- Bloody Smile
- Braces of Orthodontic Overkill
- British Teeth
- Broken Smile
- Cat Smile
- Cheerful Child: A child who is constantly happy.
- Cheer Them Up with Laughter
- Cheshire Cat Grin
- Cute Little Fangs
- Died Happily Ever After
- Dissonant Serenity
- Dreamworks Face
- Dying Smirk
- Fangs Are Evil
- Finger-Forced Smile: Sticking one's fingers into someone's mouth to force them to smile.
- Glasgow Grin: A large smile created by scarring the cheeks.
- Go Out with a Smile: A character dies smiling.
- Grin of Audacity
- Grin of Rage
- "Have a Nice Day" Smile
- Just Smile and Nod
- Mona Lisa Smile: Stock Shout-Out of Leonardo da Vinci's famous The Mona Lisa.
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family
- "Oh, Crap!" Smile: A character gives a nervous smile after realizing they are in trouble.
- Ominous Adversarial Amusement
- Perpetual Frowner
- Perpetual Smiler
- Psychotic Smirk
- Sideways Smile: Face-splitting smiles with obscured eyes viewed from the side profile.
- Slasher Smile: Big creepy grin = This guy is bad news.
- Smile of Approval
- Smug Smiler
- Stepford Consumer
- Stepford Smiler: The character smiles, but his smile is forced and emotionless.
- Tearful Smile
- Technically a Smile
- Tombstone Teeth
- Twinkle Smile
- The Un-Smile: A character attempts to smile, but their smile comes off as forced and unnerving.
- When She Smiles: A character who was depressed or grumpy beforehand finally starts smiling to show that they are at last experiencing happiness.
- Wipe That Smile Off Your Face
- Wistful Smile