Grizzly Park is an American horror film, released February 8, 2008. It was written and directed by Tom Skull.
Eight troubled young adults are inducted into a rehabilitation program: They will be sent to serve a week of community service for their respective misdemeanors at a national park dubbed Grizzly Park. Little they know is that the guy that should drive them there has been murdered and replaced by a escaped Serial Killer and rapist. And then everything gets a turn for the worse when another serial killer, this time of the Ursus arctos species, appears and decides to pick them for dinner one by one.
Not to be confused with Grizzly Rage, which amusingly, also features a killer bear.
Tropes associated with this work:
- All Animals Are Domesticated: The first thing Ranger Bob tells the group is that this is not true. A minute later, Bebe ignores it.
- Comes full circle in the end when it's revealed that the murdering bear was controlled by Ranger Bob the whole time
- Always a Bigger Fish: Wolves? Serial killers? Nothing compared to a big, angry BEAR!
- Asshole Victim: Almost all of them. Ranger Mike, who wasn't even killed by the bear, is pretty much the only sympathetic character in the movie after The Reveal that Bebe is a Bitch in Sheep's Clothing
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Bebe. She spends the whole movie appearing as a girl who is so stupid that she can't tell a cat from a skunk, and is only there because a friend of hers let her leave a store with some unbought clothes as a joke. She seems like the only likable character in the movie... Then she locks Candy in a cabin for the bear to munch on and muses on whether she should kill Ranger Bob and blame it on the bear for fun.
- Black Comedy: Anything involving Bebe's breasts.
- Black Dude Dies First: Technically not true. But he's still the first of the young adults to get hurt and the first to be killed by the bear.
- Blatant Lies: Scab the Neonazi only likes white people. Riiiiight.
- Brainless Beauty / Too Dumb to Live: Bebe. Revealed at the end to practice Obfuscating Stupidity
- Cell Phones Are Useless: Several instances:
- Eaten Alive: Kiki is eaten by some wolves. Pretty much everyone else is eaten by the bear.
- Final Girl: Bebe. She's ditzy bordering on childish, her crime of shoplifting is pretty light compared to the other teens, and she's the only one to try and form a friendship with Ranger Bob. Subverted. She does make it through the night, but only after sacrificing Candy. Then she brags about surviving over her cell phone and muses on whether she should kill Ranger Mike and make it look like the bear did it. Unfortunately for her, Ranger Bob overheard...
- Gag Boobs: It is speculated many times whether Bebe's breasts are fake or not. They are, and we find out in a very disgusting way.
- Gorn: One character is ripped in half with their guts spilt out.
- Halfway Plot Switch: At first it looks like this is a slasher movie with a maniac in the forest. Then 40 minutes in the bear appears.
- The Killer Becomes the Killed / The Worf Effect: The Serial Killer is the first victim of the protagonist bear.
- Mandatory Twist Ending / Gainax Ending: So... Ranger Bob is also a Serial Killer? And his weapon of choice is a bear?
- Misplaced Wildlife: The movie takes place in California, but the beast in question is an Alaskan Kodiak bear. It's actually justified: It's said early on that the last grizzly in the park was killed in 1922, and the killer bear is revealed to be commanded by Ranger Bob in the end, who presumably brought it
- Oh, Crap!: Any time someone sees the bear for the first time.
- The Perfect Crime: All the young adults deaths are blamed at the end on Serial Killer Butch Latham, who is though to have escaped afterwards but in reality was killed and eaten the first by the bear, so even the bear is spared of any blame for the killings
- Saying Too Much: Yeah, everybody just left. Except me. And you, who are a Serial Killer. Why?
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!: How Ryan ended in the program rather than in jail despite having sex with a minor and leaving her in a coma.
- Superpersistent Predator: Subverted most of the time. It's said early that this is the time of the year when bears eat the most before going into hibernation, yet the bear only kills (and always eats) one person per night. Then in the final 20 minutes it enters the camp and kills everybody present non-stop but because it's controlled by Ranger Bob, who has decided that all the young delinquents deserve to die.
- Token Minority Couple: Ty (Token Black) and Kiki (Token Asian) get close really fast but the critters don't give them a chance to get anywhere
- Too Dumb to Live: Kiki and Ty ultimately die because they got lost after Ranger Bob told them not to leave the group.
- Your Costume Needs Work: One of the victims is stoned when the bear attacks, and confuses it with a guy wearing a bear suit.