Marion Cotillard (born September 30, 1975) is a French actress.
She's been active on French television and in movies since the mid-nineties, then reached superstardom with La Vie en Rose (for which she won the best actress Oscar). She's perhaps the favorite French actress of Hollywood since the early 2010s, having appeared in a number of high profile films including two from Christopher Nolan.
She has been in a relationship with actor and director Guillaume Canet since 2007. The pair have a son, Marcel, born in 2011, and a daughter, Louise, born in 2017.
A Selection of Roles
- Lori Bellian in Highlander (1993)
- Lili Bertineau in the Taxi series (1998-2003)
- Joséphine Bloom in Big Fish (2003)
- Tina Lombardi in A Very Long Engagement (2004)
- Fanny Chenal in A Good Year (2006)
- Édith Piaf in La Vie en Rose (2007)
- Luisa Contini in Nine (2009)
- Billie Frechette in Public Enemies (2009)
- Mal in Inception (2010)
- Adriana in Midnight in Paris (2011)
- Leonora Orantes in Contagion (2011)
- Miranda Tate in The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
- Stéphanie in Rust and Bone (2012)
- Ewa Cybulska in The Immigrant (2013)
- Canadian Reporter in Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (2013)
- Sandra in Two Days, One Night (2014)
- The Rose (voice) in The Little Prince (2015)
- Lady Macbeth in Macbeth (2015)
- Marianne Beauséjour in Allied (2016)
- Dr. Sophia Rikkin in Assassin's Creed (2016)
- Herself in Rockn Roll (2017)
- Cleopatra VII in Asterix and Obelix: The Middle Kingdom (2022)
- Beauty Mark: Her mole in the middle of her forehead.
- Casting Gag:
- In Inception, inadvertently. Édith Piaf's song Non, je ne regrette rien was in use before Marion was cast, and Nolan considered removing it, but too much of the score had already been written around it.
- And then later, in Midnight in Paris, Marion played Adrianna, a young woman who chooses to forget her own time and live in an idealized world.
- Death Glare: You might think that someone as cute as her won't be able to execute one. She can, and she did.◊
- Fake Nationality: Plays a Canadian news anchor in Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues.
- Fake Mixed Race: Plays a part American Indian in Public Enemies.
- Femme Fatale: A lot of her roles, most notably in A Very Long Engagement and Inception. You can add The Dark Knight Rises to that list now, too.
- Ms. Fanservice: She's very beautiful, and isn't shy at all about nudity or sex scenes in her films.
- Not-So-Small Role: Miranda Tate in The Dark Knight Rises, an original character with no connection whatsoever to the comics? Nice try. She's actually Talia al Ghul.
- Production Posse:
- Star-Making Role: In France, the Taxi films made her known and A Very Long Engagement earned her more recognition with a César award for Best Supporting Actress. Internationally, the role of Édith Piaf in La Vie en Rose brought her plenty of awards and Hollywood noticed her as a result.