Helen Elizabeth Hunt (born June 15, 1963) is an American actress, director and screenwriter born in Culver City, California. She is the daughter of the late actor and casting director Gordon Hunt and the late photographer Jane Novis, and niece of the late director Peter H. Hunt.
Making her acting debut in 1972, Hunt rose to prominence with her role in Mad About You, for which she won four consecutive Emmy awards. During her film career, she won a Academy Award for the film As Good as It Gets. Some of her other notable films include Twister, Cast Away, What Women Want, Pay It Forward, and The Sessions, the last of which garnered her a second Academy Award nomination. She made her directorial debut in 2007 with Then She Found Me. Hunt has also won four Golden Globe Awards, and two Screen Actors Guild Awards.
Works featuring Helen Hunt with pages on TV Tropes:
- Rollercoaster (1977)
- Trancers (1984)
- Galtar and the Golden Lance (1985)
- Girls Just Want to Have Fun (1985)
- Peggy Sue Got Married (1986)
- Project X (1987) not this one.
- Next of Kin (1989)
- Bob Roberts (1992)
- Mr. Saturday Night (1992)
- Mad About You (1992-1999; 2019-)
- Kiss of Death (1995)
- Twister (1996)
- As Good as It Gets (1997)
- Dr. T & the Women (2000)
- Pay It Forward (2000)
- Cast Away (2000)
- What Women Want (2000)
- The Curse of the Jade Scorpion (2001)
- Bobby (2006)
- Soul Surfer (2011)
- The Sessions (2012)
- World on Fire (2019)
- The Night Clerk (2020)
- Blindspotting (2021)
- Ambiguously Jewish: Has played Jewish women, either by birth or by conversion, in several films. Hunt herself is a quarter Jewish.
- Celebrity Resemblance: To Leelee Sobieski. She's also been mixed up with Jodie Foster and Holly Hunter on occasion.
- Girl Next Door: Took this role in many of her films during the 80s and 90s.
- Granola Girl: Plays a middle-aged one in Blindspotting.
- Magnum Opus Dissonance: Although her most popular movies are Twister and As Good as It Gets, Hunt's favorite of her own films, in addition to the twonote she wrote and directed herself, is The Sessions, in which she played a sex surrogate. She has expressed a wish that it be shown to high schoolers due to its healthy depiction of sexuality.
- Ms. Fanservice: Largely justified In The Sessions, in which Hunt appears completely naked during the four sessions of sexual surrogacy referenced by the film's title. She also does an unrelated full frontal nude scene at the very end of the film, in which her character converts to Judaism.
- Role Reprise: Returned to playing Jamie Buchman after 20 years for the reboot of Mad About You.
- Tom Hanks Syndrome: Rose to prominence in a sitcom before switching to more dramatic roles.
- Typecasting: Frequently plays mothers.