Daughter of Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger. Unexpectedly sorted into Ravenclaw despite her Gryffindor-family pride, she struggles with friendships and enmities that seem far away from the rest of her family's experience of Hogwarts.
- Academic Alpha Bitch: Has shades of this.
- Academic Athlete: Unlike her mother, Rose is an enthusiastic Quidditch player as well as a top student.
- All Witches Have Cats: Has a half-kneazle cat named Charlie.
- Blond, Brunette, Redhead: The Redhead to Scorpius's Blond and Lyra's Brunette.
- Fiery Redhead: She's got a serious temper.
- Feuding Families: A mild version with the Malfoys.
- Insufferable Genius
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She's selfish and arrogant at times, but ultimately tries to do the right thing by others.
- Like Brother and Sister: With her cousin Albus at the start of the fic.
- Magic Wand: Hers is walnut and dragon heartstring.
- This is the same combination as Bellatrix Lestrange's wand.
- Messy Hair: Untameable red frizz, to be precise.
- Nerds Love Tough Schoolwork
- Passionate Sports Girl
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Red to Scorpius's blue.
- Soap Box Sadie: Rose is very much onboard with her mum's causes. Of course, she's twelve at most, so her understanding of most issues comes across as soap-boxing .
Scorpius Hyperion Malfoy
Son of Draco Malfoy and Astoria Malfoy, née Greengrass. Ravenclaw student, potions whiz, and ill-regarded son of a former Death Eater.
- Absurd Phobia: He's a wizard who's scared of flying.
- Beware the Nice Ones: He's a sweet kid, but don't pick on his friends.
- Blond, Brunette, Redhead: The Blond to Rose's Redhead and Lyra's Brunette.
- Friend to All Living Things: Scorpius, partially due to his mother Astoria being deeply interested in Magizoology, is very fond and protective of magical creatures. His soft spot for ordinary animals shows up when he rescues a rabbit from an Acromantula web, which proves to be a very bad idea.
- Like Brother and Sister: With Lyra.
- Meaningful Name: Named after a constellation, like his father and great-aunts; a common version of the mythological origin of the Scorpius constellation is one where Artemis sent a scorpion to protect the world's animals from the hunter Orion fitting for a Friend to All Living Things. Hyperion was a Titan in Greek Mythology who was associated with wisdom and light, matching well with Scorpius being sorted into Ravenclaw and being the Malfoy family's White Sheep. He considers it an Embarrassing Middle Name, though.
- Only the Pure of Heart: Scorpius's wand wood (apple) is noted on Pottermore as being highly resistant to using the Dark Arts. Ollivander mentions this in a way which Scorpius interprets as him being unworthy of the wand, but can be read as praise that such a wand would choose him to wield it.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to Rose's Red.
- Strong Family Resemblance: As in canon, looks just like his dad.
- White Sheep: The first Malfoy in generations to be sorted outside of Slytherin, and has no attraction whatsoever to Dark magic.
A Muggleborn girl sorted into Ravenclaw who befriends Scorpius. Her parents run a bookstore.
- Beware the Nice Ones: She's quick to draw her wand in defence of Scorpius and gives Rose a blistering "The Reason You Suck" Speech that she caps off by telling Rose "And you're not a hero!", shaking the family-oriented redhead badly as this could count as an unintentional labeling of Rose as the Weasley Black Sheep.
- Blond, Brunette, Redhead: The Brunette to Rose's Redhead and Scorpius's Blond.
- Inept Mage: Her spellcasting can get unintentionally violent, if it works at all.
- The Klutz: If theres a spell she cant mess up, they havent invented it yet, and she has a tendency to knock things over especially explosive things.
- Like Brother and Sister: With Scorpius.
- Meaningful Name: Her mother wanted her to be musical. It didn't work out. On a meta level, 'Lyra' is a name frequently used in fanfiction for female Malfoy relatives, particularly when Scorpius is given a sister.
- Naïve Newcomer
- The Woobie: Her Inept Mage tendencies and struggles with schoolwork do nothing to endear her to her housemates and until Rose has a Heel Realization, has only Scorpius caring about her. The bullying she suffers is never Played for Laughs and progressively gets more and more viscous, escalating from mere verbal into someone deliberately jinxing her so she can't get into the Ravenclaw dorms by herself and a What Did I Do Last Night? moment that horrifies even people who don't like her.
Other First Years (2017-18 school year)
Albus Severus Potter
Rose's cousin and best friend, son of Harry Potter and Ginny Weasley.
A Slytherin student and daughter of Susan Bones. Gets A Day in the Limelight in the side-fic Off To Hogwarts, Dear?, where it is mentioned that her father was a Dark Wizard.
- Birth/Death Juxtaposition: The day Susan discovered she was pregnant was the day her husband, who turned out to be a Dark Wizard, was killed in a duel with an Auror.
- Evil Weapon: Eleanor sees the yew wand that chooses her as thus, yew being the wand wood of both Voldemort and her father. Ollivander insists that while wands are pseudo-sentient, they have no particular morality and if Eleanor becomes a Dark Witch, it will be her own choices that lead her there.
- In the Blood: Eleanor fears this is true.
- A Sinister Clue: Lampshaded.
Friend of Albus and Rose who is sorted into Gryffindor. She is the daughter of Cho Chang and her Muggle husband.
- Relative Of Canon Character All Along: It takes a few chapters to become clear that she's Cho Chang's daughter.
A shy Slytherin student, friend of Scorpius and Lyra. She gets A Day in the Limelight in side-fic Off To Hogwarts, Dear?.
- Apologises a Lot: 'Thanks People A Lot' variant.
- Dark Is Not Evil: She's a pureblood Slytherin student and she wouldn't hurt a fly.
A Slytherin student who is friends with Eleanor and Millie. Appears as a background character in Returning and a main character in Off To Hogwarts, Dear?.
- Compelling Voice: When he sings, as a result of his siren ancestry. His misuse of it results in his Muggle schoolmates having to be Obliviated.
- Enthralling Siren: One of his ancestors was one.
- Fantastic Racism: Having mixed wizard and mermaid ancestry leads to him being regarded with suspicion by the Obliviators.
- Half-Human Hybrid: One of his ancestors was a siren.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Thanks to the Obliviators, nobody at his Muggle school remembers his existence.
- Mind-Control Music
- Sirens Are Mermaids
Hufflepuff third year and friend of James and Dominique.
Hufflepuff fifth year, brother of Merva and friend of Fred Weasley. His mother dies during the summer before the school year starts.
Cousin of Rose and Albus, younger sister of Victoire. Best friends with her cousin James. Plays Chaser for Gryffindor.
- Fantastic Racism: A boy calls her a 'halfbreed' in response to being rejected.
- Gender-Blender Name: Both Dominique and her nickname, Dom.
- Half-Human Hybrid: One-eighth Veela.
- The Lancer: to James Sirius in the third-year Five-Man Band.
- Like Brother and Sister: With her cousin James.
- Passionate Sports Girl
- Pet the Dog: She's usually fairly arrogant and self-centred, but she shows a kinder side when encountering a fellow Half-Human Hybrid in Off To Hogwarts, Dear?.
Ravenclaw third year and friend of James and Dominique. Not a fan of Edgar Young.
Sixth-year Ravenclaw prefect who is obsessed with the reputation of his house.
- Academic Alpha Bitch: A male example.
Fred Lee Weasley
Cousin of Rose and Albus, Gryffindor Keeper.
- Dead Guy Junior: Named after his father's deceased twin. It's not clear if his other namesake, Lee Jordan, is still around.
Millie's older sister and a Slytherin student in the same year as James Sirius. Appears briefly in both Returning and Off To Hogwarts, Dear?.
- Aerith and Bob: Jai and her sister Millicent. Makes more sense when you read that Jai's real name is Josephine Ingrid.
- Cool Big Sis: She's always kind and patient with Millie, even though usually she's rather antisocial.
- Gender-Blender Name: Jai (rhymes with chai) is usually a male name, but in this case it is a smushing of her initials, Josephine Ingrid.
- Magical Accessory: Wears a silver snake earring that appears to be alive.
- Promoted to Parent: Their parents aren't dead or missing, but Jai seems to be the trusted authority figure in Millie's life.
- Strong Family Resemblance: She's described as looking like an older, more confident version of Millie.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The tomboy to Millie's girly girl.
James Sirius Potter
Rose's cousin and Albus's older brother, two years ahead of them at Hogwarts. A known prankster and one of Gryffindor's new Chasers.
- Big Brother Bully: Downplayed. Hes not above teasing Al and telling tales to frighten him, but they seem to genuinely care about each other overall.
- The Leader: of the third-year Five-Man Band.
- Like Brother and Sister: With his cousin Dominique.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Takes after his mother, with the exception of his hair colour.
Sixth year Ravenclaw prefect and best friend of Merva Firgreen. The prefect in charge of helping the first years adjust to Hogwarts life.
- The Atoner
- Black and Nerdy
- Brainy Brunette
- Consummate Liar
- HeelFace Turn: Tries to turn Merva in to McGonagall at the end.
- Heel Realization
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: She specialises in precise memory modification.
- More Than Mind Control: She acts under the influence of the Obsession Elixir, but the origin of her motivation is trying to stop her friend Merva from Jumping Off the Slippery Slope.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Particularly compared to Jerkass Edgar Young.
Teachers & Hogwarts Staff
Hannah Abbott, the usual matron at Hogwarts. She is only mentioned in Returning but appears alongside her goddaughter Eleanor in the side-fic Off To Hogwarts, Dear?.
- Always Identical Twins: She gives birth to twin girls, Alice and Abigail.
- Cool Godmother
- Happily Married: To Neville Longbottom.
- School Nurse: On maternity leave throughout the main fic.
- Obvious Pregnancy: She's eight months pregnant with twins and it's very clear to everyone she meets. Millie Tirnblüd finds it astonishing.
Filius Flitwick, Charms Master and head of Ravenclaw house.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Deplores the tendency towards bullying and elitism in the less pleasant parts of Ravenclaw house, and does his best to curb these attitudes.
Lesley Kirtle, the current Hogwarts Potions teacher. She's comparatively young and rather uncertain, but a competent teacher.
- Mismatched Eyes: One blue, one green. They are noted for giving her a slightly manic look.
Neville Longbottom, Herbology teacher and head of Gryffindor house. Married to Hannah Abbott, the usual matron at Hogwarts.
Headmistress of Hogwarts.
- Beware the Nice Ones: McGonagall may not like to break the rules, but she knows how to use them to her advantage such as when she responsibly lets Edgar Young's prospective employer know the extent of his bullying at Hogwarts, torpedoing Edgar's professional ambitions.
- Lawful Good: She's a lot less relaxed about rule-breaking than Dumbledore, but her punishments are never unnecessarily cruel.
- Stern Teacher
- Reasonable Authority Figure
Formerly the matron at Hogwarts, returned from retirement while Madam Abbott has newborn twins.
Transfiguration master and head of Slytherin house.
Flying Instructor at Hogwarts. His enthusiasm for Quidditch sometimes gets in the way of his students' learning.
Rose's uncle and the only unmarried Weasley sibling of her parents' generation. He is mentioned but does not appear.
Harry's godson and Scorpius's second cousin.
- Pursuing Parental Perils: Wants to become an Auror like his mum. His Grandmother is not impressed.