- Played by: Matthew Horne
Stacey Shipman (née West)
- Played by: Joanna Page
- Covert Pervert: She acts sweet and innocent, but she's very open about how often she masturbates, much to the shock of Gavin, Smithy and Dan. She also doesn't think twice about showing her knickers to Smithy when he's lingerie shopping for his girlfriend.
- Disposable Fiancé: Has been engaged five times. But only in love once, with Gavin.
- Law of Inverse Fertility: She really wants to get pregnant with Gavin but struggles immensely to do so, while Nessa accidentally gets pregnant after sleeping with Smithy once.
- Ms. Fanservice: She gets a number of Shower Scenes and often wears outfits that show off her legs.
- Womanchild: She tends to be quite immature at times and whines constantly about being homesick when she temporarily moves to Essex with Gavin, but then gets upset when he's equally homesick living in Barry.
Neil "Smithy" Smith
- Played by: James Corden
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Nessa, since they do not like each other at all to start with, but it doesn't stop them from having sex occasionally and even begin to bond over food and the baby.
- Berserk Button: People asking him to share his food.
- Big Eater: His takeaway orders usually involve multiple dishes and are generally sizeable enough to feed an entire family at once.
- Doting Parent: No matter how awkward his relationship with Nessa might be, he's consistently a very affectionate father to Neil (the baby).
- Only Known by Their Nickname: His real name is Neil, but everyone calls him Smithy. In fact, we don't even learn his first name until the last episode of series two.
Vanessa Shanessa "Nessa" Jenkins
- Played by: Ruth Jones
- Ambiguous Disorder: Nessa's blunt manner of speaking, limited emotional range and occasionally saying weird things are somewhat reminiscent of Autism, though it never gets brought up. That she always wears the same footwear no matter what she's doing is also somewhat similar to a comfort item.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Smithy - they can't stand each other initially, but they start to grow closer over the course of the series, especially after Nessa gets pregnant and they bond over food.
- Bouncer: Had this job as part of her Mysterious Past.
- Deadpan Snarker: Heavy emphasis on deadpan. Even while telling the most ridiculous story, she's able to do it with a serious tone.
- Hidden Depths: So many, it becomes a running joke.
- Iconic Item: No matter what else she wears, Nessa never takes off her knee-high leather boots.
- Multiple-Choice Past: She's apparently been one of the original lineup for All Saints, played with Jools Holland, and had an affair with John Prescott. That is, if she's to be believed.
- Repetitive Name: Vanessa Shanessa nicknamed Nessa.
- Serious Business: She takes bowling very seriously.
- Verbal Tic: "Crackin'."
- "Tidy", as well.
- What the Hell, Hero?: When Stacey admits she hasn't been taking her birth control for a year without discussing it with Gavin, Nessa comments on this being pretty devious behaviour and says Gavin is right to be angry with her about it.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: After seeing Smithy's girlfriend mistreating him and Smithy trying to change who he is for her, Nessa tells him that he's fine the way he is. And then proposes to him.
Michael "Mick" Shipman
- Played by: Larry Lamb
Pamela Andrea "Pam" Shipman
- Played by: Alison Steadman
- Delusions of Eloquence: She butchers common expressions or misuses words when trying to appear more articulate than she actually is.
- Department of Redundancy Department: Occasionally has her moments: "Your only son has emigrated abroad to another country..."
- Embarrassing Nickname: Calls her son Gavin "my little prince"
- Supreme Chef: She's always shown feeding everyone whenever they come around.
Brynfor "Bryn" West
- Played by: Rob Brydon
- Ambiguously Gay: Bryn certainly shows a lot more interest in men than women, but it's never confirmed as he's entirely chaste and implied to be a virgin. Given that he's unfazed by other people's homosexuality, it seems not so much that he's in denial as that the thought he is gay has just somehow never occurred to him.
- Catchphrase: "I won't lie to you"
- Easily Impressed: He takes delight in the most mundane of things.
- Nice Guy: The sunniest, most cheerful person in the whole show and a constant fountain of support to his family.
- Played by: Melanie Walters
- Parental Substitute: To Nessa, who outright tells Gwen on her wedding day she considers Gwen like a mum to her.