Mischievous Twins: The Tales of St. Clare's (おちゃめなふたご ―クレア学院物語― Ochame na Futago: Kurea Gakuin Monogatari) is a 1991 Japanese anime created by Tokyo Movie Shinsha (now known as TMS Entertainment) and originally broadcast on Nippon TV from January to November 1991. The anime is based on the St. Clare's books by UK children's author Enid Blyton.
Based primarily on the first two books of the series, it follows much the same plot. Patricia and Isabel O'Sullivan are two of the best students at their school, but receive a shock when their father announces that they'll be attending school at St. Clare's.
Contains examples of:
- The Ace: The O'Sullivan twins were both this at their old school, both the being both the best athletes and the top students. They don't take to St. Clare's well at first.
- Apron Matron: The dorm mother
- Boarding School
- Circus Brat: Subverted with anime exclusive Jimmy, a handsome boy from a nearby circus that Janet has a crush on.
- Character Development: The twins start off as bratty and snobbish, but they mellow out over the first few episodes as they grow to like St. Clare's.
- Class Clown: Doris Elwood
- Dumb Blonde: Subverted with Hillary Wentworth and Winifred James. Played straight with Allison O'Sullivan
- The Fashionista: Fifth-former Madeline and her admirer Allison O'Sullivan
- Genki Girl: Janet Robins teeter between this and Tsundere.
- Good Parents: The O'Sullivan twin's parents, from what little we see of them.
- Identical Twin ID Tag: The only difference between Pat and Isabel is the way they wear their hair, with Isabel wearing her hair down with a headband and Pat wearing hers in a ponytail.
- Nice Girl: Catherine Gregory. A calm gentle girl who wants to become a veterinarian. She's the one who teaches Isabel how to clean shoes and make tea for the older students without judgment.
- One-Gender School
- Passionate Sports Girl: Belinda Towers, captain of the school lacrosse team.
- Pat herself, which lead Belinda to ask her to be captain after she left the school.
- Plucky Girl: Both Pat and Isabel.
- Precious Puppies: Blinky, a puppy Catherine finds shot and takes care of him
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Most of the teachers are either this or a Cool Teacher.
- Also Hillary Wentworth.
- Headmistress Dr. Leopold
- Real Women Have Curves: An anime-only character named Joan is definitely on the heavy side. Fortunately, unlike Alma Pudden from the original books, Joan avoids many of the negative stereotypes and is portrayed as a good student with a bit of a Sweet Tooth. She does hate P.E. and is pretty bad at lacross, however, but grows to at least be more competent at it after getting special training from Ms. Roberts.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Pat is more hot-headed and brash, while Isabelle is more calm and studious, adjusting to St. Clare's slightly faster than her sister.
- Rich Bitch: Rita Jones, framing poor Catherine for stealing and bullying Allison into keeping quiet.
- Shrinking Violet: Ms. Kennedy, a young teacher often the victim of pranks that frazzle her nerves, and is afraid of cats.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Allison (the girl's cousin) and the twins.
- Between the twins, Pat is the tomboy while Isabel is the girly-girl