Kishin Taisen Gigantic Formula is a Japanese anime aired in 2007. The translation of the title is given as "Apo Mekhanes Theos Gigantic Formula".
Set in 2035, mankind had experienced a massive holocaust called the Equatorial Winter after 12 heads ("OXII") resembling Greek gods have been uncovered which ask for bodies with which to fight. The nations that have uncovered them, Japan, China, America, Russia, Italy, Germany, Britain, India, Egypt, France, Greece, and Venezuela engage in the "Wisest World War", governed by the United Nations, to unify the world under the rule of the victor.
Orphan Shingo Suwa earns the right to pilot Japan's Sxano-X (named after Susanoo) alongside Mana Kamishiro, one of the "translators" who can communicate with the stone heads.
Gigantic Formula displays these tropes:
- After the End - the setting is after the Equatorial Winter which set the world on fire, literally.
- All Your Powers Combined - Victorious Gigantics gain the abilities of those they defeat, and also the support of the defeated country.
- BFS - a sword wielded by a Humongous Mecha is big by definition, and Sxano's has trident-like attachments to make it bigger still.
- Blush Sticker - well, the animation character designer did work on Kamichu!.
- Conveniently an Orphan - None of the main child cast have parents.
- Cool Code of Source - Ucchie always has text flowing down her screens.
- Defeat Means Friendship - Countries win the fealty of those they defeat, but Japan actually does make friends with one of them, China.
- Empathic Weapon - the Gigantics are sentient and are linked with both their translators and pilots.
- First Church of Mecha - While no worship is demonstrated, the Gigantics all contain the heads of ancient stone gods.
- The Game Come to Life - The tryouts for the Japanese pilot were staged as a Video Game tournament.
- Improbable Age - Ucchie, Sxano's Chief Engineer, is 10. Somewhat justified in that she is the product of Science.
- Journey to the Center of the Mind/Mind Probe - the Psy-Harmonize system, which lets Mana and Shingo experience the memories of other pilots and translators. Could also be considered Mind Rape.
- Out-of-Clothes Experience - averted; when "harmonizing" they appear in their regular flight suits.
- Pensieve Flashback/Intangible Time Travel - our protagonists experience the memories of other Gigantic crews in third person.
- It's quite obvious that Susanoo's design is heavily derived from Gundam, color scheme and all.
- Spell My Name with an S - Susanoo is written "SXANO" because it is ONYXS inverted.
- Toxic Phlebotinum - Pilots bodies' are gradually taken over by nerve cables (glowing threads which extend from the OXII to interface with their bodies and equipment). This happened to Sxano's first pilot and starts to happen to Shingo too.
- Transforming Mecha - The Minervas-XI turns into a giant cannon.
- Translator Microbes - while spying on memories via the Psy-harmonize system, they can understand what the foreign characters are saying.
- Victor Gains Loser's Powers/Mecha Expansion Pack - Gigantics gain the abilities of those they defeat.
- We Have Reserves - battles tend to start with conventional support forces being decimated.