Visual Novel: Dai Gyakuten Saiban: Naruhodou Ryuunosuke no Bouken
aka: Dai Gyakuten Saiban
A spin-off of the Ace Attorney series of games for the Nintendo 3DSnote , starring the Meiji-era Japan version of a defense attorney, Ryuunosuke Naruhodou, ancestor of Ryuichi Naruhodou/Phoenix Wright. The main writer is Shu Takumi instead of Takeshi Yamazaki, whose team is working on another Ace Attorney title at the same time.It is the Meiji Restoration period of Japanese history; a time of great cultural shift towards a growing trend of westernization in Japanese lifestyle and architecture. Among those taking advantage of the new opportunities the era affords is one "Ryuunosuke Naruhodou", a second-year student at the Teito Yuumei University. Things suddenly change for the young man when he is accused of murdering a man in a restaurant. Forced to stand trial in the newly established court systems of the period, Ryuunosuke begins a long journey of justice that will take him well beyond the shores of Japan.You can watch the original teaser trailer here and the Tokyo Game Show 2014 trailer here (both trailers contain English fan translations). A new five-minute trailer was released on April 1, 2015, which can be viewed here (trailer also contains subtitles).The game is slated for release on July 9, 2015 in Japan. There has been no announcement of release to other markets as of yet.
This work provides examples of:
- Child Prodigy: Iris Watson is 8 years old...but still brings over the original Watson's medical doctorate, and since John Watson wasn't a Child Prodigy, this is also an Age Lift.
- Expy: Ryuunosuke Naruhodou looks like a mix of Phoenix and Apollo, might be on purpose though. With his hat on, he also bears a striking resemblance to Clay Terran◊.
- First Episode Spoiler: John Watson is the victim of the first case.
- Girlish Pigtails: Iris Watson has her hair braided into two curly pigtails with heart-shaped knots at the end.
- Identical Grandson:
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: Unlike the main series' use of "Turnabout" in all its case titles, it seems here all the case titles will include "The Adventure of..."
- Kid Sidekick: Iris Watson to the great detective himself.
- Literary Agent Hypothesis: Iris Watson is apparently the author of The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes in this universe.
- Martial Arts Headband: The headband Kazuma Asougi wears resembles one.
- Dramatic Wind: His headband will flutter around even indoors.
- Meiji Restoration: The backdrop and context for Ryuunosuke and Susato's characters. Described as an age where defense attorneys are still carving a niche as a viable profession in Japanese society. Shifts to Victorian London after the first case.
- A Protagonist Is Ryu: Ryuunosuke Naruhodou (which makes sense since they're trying to draw a line between this guy and Phoenix, whose Japanese name is "Ryuuichi Naruhodou").
- Public Domain Character: Sherlock Holmes appears in the game, along with a girl called Iris Watson,and the real Watson is the victim of the first case.
- Recycled In SPACE: It's Ace Attorney during Meiji Era Japan, in the first case, before becoming Ace Attorney in Victorian London.
- Sherlock Scan: Holmes retains his nigh-supernatural deductive abilities, but in an added twist, he seems less than concerned about whether what he deduces is actually true. It falls to Naruhodou to consider the evidence and decide whether his deductions hold weight.
- Shout-Out: Sherlock's dog design in Dog Gyakuten Saiban looks like a reference to Sherlock Hound.
- Spiritual Successor: To Professor Layton Vs Ace Attorney, in that the game again features a defense attorney and his female assistant going to England and teaming up with an English gentleman and his young assistant.
- The gameplay demo from Jump Festa '14 reveals the game will have multi-witness cross examinations, much like Prof. Layton vs. Ace Attorney.
- Hell, even the box art is reminiscent of Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney.
- Sweet Tooth: Judging by the trailer, Susato appears to be one. "Chocolates, cookies, biscuits, egg pudding..."
- Token Mini-Moe: Iris Watson.
- Unexpected Character: Who would have guessed that Sherlock Holmes would appear in an Ace Attorney spinoff?
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Susato Mikotoba, the assistant to Ryuunosuke, is a very clear-looking example of this. She's described as an ideal Japanese woman from the time period with a progressive way of thinking.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Iris Watson's hair is a strawberry shade of pink.