When life give you lemons, chop them up in midair with a huge sword. If life gives you strawberries, watermelons or coconuts, same thing. After all, you are
is a game developed by Halfbrick Studios
in which you slice fruit with a virtual sword in a limited amount of time, trying to avoid slicing bombs as you go. Extra points and combos are awarded for slicing multiple fruits with one swipe. There are currently three different game modes.
, players must slice all of the fruit, because if they miss three fruits, game over. Players can get extra lives by reaching multiples of 100. Slicing bombs results in an instant game over.
, no bombs appear, and players aren't penalized for missing fruit, but there is a 90 second time limit. The goal is to slice as many fruits as possible before the time runs out.
, like Zen mode, players aren't penalized for missing fruit, and there is a time limit. However, instead, you have just 60 seconds. Three bonus bananas appear randomly: Frenzy (fruit starts to uncontrollably shoot out from the sides of the screen, and no bombs appear), Double Points (self-explanatory) and Freeze (slows down all the fruit and bombs, and stops the timer). Their effects can be combined (as in, one can get Double Points, then Frenzy, and rack up a massive score). Getting many combos in a row gives you bonus points, or a 'Blitz.' During a Blitz, the fruit shoots up quicker, and every few consecutive combos awards bonus points. If you do not get a new combo in a few seconds, the Blitz ends. Hitting a bomb ends your Blitz immediately, and in addition takes 10 points off your score. At the end, depending on your performance, you are given three different score bonuses.
The game was originally released for iOS, then later Android, Windows Phone, Symbian, and Bada. A console port for Kinect
was released on August 10, 2011.
Also has a branded Spin-Off
: Fruit Ninja: Puss in Boots
, and Fruit Ninja FX
, an arcade redemption game made by Adrenaline Amusements.
This game provides examples of:
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: You can even cut coconuts right in half with one slice.
- And Your Reward Is Clothes: Well, not clothes, but you can buy new backgrounds and blades.
- Awesome, but Impractical: Quadruple wielding using your device's multi-touch.
- Big Name Fan: David Cameron, of all people.
- Dual Wielding: You can do this, thanks to multi-touch. It's even possible to quadruple wield for the same reason.
- Excuse Plot: Exactly why is a ninja cutting up fruits? The only reason given is, "All Ninjas hate fruit!"
- Follow the Leader: Veggie Samurai.
- Fruit of The Loon: Weirdly inverted. You just need to destroy fruit.
- Fundamentally Funny Fruit: They're even funnier when being sliced neatly in two!
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Ninja: It's not just some average person or even a teppanyaki chef cutting the fruit. It's a ninja.
- Katanas Are Just Better: In the iOS games, your fingers are virtual katanas.
- Martial Arts and Crafts: The game is about using your cool katana to chop up fruit.
- Mundane Made Awesome
- One-Hit Kill: Hit the bomb in Classic and it's an instant Game Over, as compared to missing fruit three times.
- Retreaux: 8-Bit DLC for the XBLA version.
- Rule of Three: Slice 3 or more fruit in one swipe; combo. Miss 3 fruits, Game Over.
- Smashing Watermelons: The Game.
- Sword Lines: This is all you actually see of your blade(s). You can even unlock trails with different colors and effects.