open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- In one episode of Pani Poni Dash!, the miserable rabbit Mesoussa has a time bomb placed on him by a adorable and polite "Jinx in Training" who wants him to be unhappy. Becky and a few of her students start trying to figure out how to defuse the bomb over the course of the episode. With less than a minute left before the bomb goes off, Becky arrives just in time to tell Mesoussa that they figured out how to remove it. Mesoussa is overjoyed, everyone starts praising Becky for a job well done, and everyone just starts celebrating at the accomplishment... *BOOM!*
- This exact phrase gets thrown around from time to time in numerous battles in Bakugan.
- From Con Air: "Think you're free? Well, think again."
- In Galaxy Quest the crew celebrates their defeat of the bad guys and successful return to the solar system when out of no where, the Big Bad shows up. Twice.
- Pulp Fiction: Jules and Vincent have just cleaned out the car into spick-and-span ship-shape, and everything seems hunky-dory when the Wolf reminds them that they still have a dead body to dispose of: "Well, let's not start suckin' each other's dicks quite yet. Phase one is complete, clean the car, which moves us right along to phase two, clean you two."
- In Star Trek (2009), the crew gets this one and a half times. First, they destroy Nero's ship... but then before they can even think about celebrating, the Enterprise starts getting sucked into the black hole! Once they've freed themselves from THAT unpleasant demise, the Crew doesn't celebrate. Instead, they share a collective sigh of relief. In the commentary, director JJ Abrams said he was trying to avoid having the crew cheer or anything like that. He wanted to avoid "Woo Hoo we kicked ass!" and instead go for "Holy shit did we just do that? I need to catch my breath!"
Live Action TV
- Subverted in the Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode "Fear Itself". The fight's over, everybody's back home and stuffing their faces with chocolate when Giles, reading up on the Monster Of The Week they'd just killed, suddenly exclaims,
Giles: Oh, bloody hell, the inscription. I should've translated the inscription.Buffy: What does it say?Giles: (referring to the monster which had been dramatically revealed to be a tiny little demon that ended up being squashed by Buffy in two seconds flat) "Actual size."
- In the Doctor Who episode "The Doctor Dances", the Doctor was celebrating the fact that everyone lived for once. Rose then reminded him of Jack Harkness, who had taken the bomb that was meant to save them elsewhere. They rescue him too.
- In the Red Dwarf episode "Epideme", Lister's heart is stopped prevent him from being killed by the Epideme virus, and once the virus is successfully removed the others walk away to celebrate, only to rush back upon realizing that they forgot to revive Lister.
- On Maury, this happens with the lie detector tests. The men will often start celebrating after the first question only to fail the rest of the test. For example, the first question may be "Did you cheat with [Specific Person]", to which the man correctly answers no. However, the next question is often "Have you ever cheated", to which the man also answers no and lies.
- In Banjo-Kazooie, after you rescue Tootie, the credits roll and there's a cutscene of the victorious Banjo, Kazooie, Mumbo, and Bottles celebrating with a barbecue—then Tootie comes out and reminds them that they still haven't defeated the Big Bad, and that Banjo had better get off his butt and do it.
- Star Fox 64: Second boss Shogun invokes this with the line "Don't party just yet!"
- The intro to Left 4 Dead shows the survivors run from a Witch, fight a zombie horde, deal with special infected, set off a car alarm, and just barely escape from a Tank before they catch a moment's rest on a rooftop.
Louis: We made it! I can't believe we made it!Bill: Son, we just crossed the street. Let's not throw a party till we're out of the city.
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker features Link doing a comical but upbeat Victory Dance whenever he kills a dungeon's boss. He begins doing said dance after the first stage of the boss battle with That One Boss, but true to his trope, he gets back up, transforms, and probably destroys the player several times over between his second and third forms.
- In Danny Phantom episode "The Million Dollar Ghost", Jack had just defeated Plasmius (yes, Jack Fenton defeated Plasmius) when he and Danny remembered they still have to change the ecto-filtrator to prevent the Fenton Portal from exploding. Then there was a cut to an explosion scene but it was just Jack showing Danny a simulation of what would have happened if they failed.
- In part two of the second season premiere of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, after Rainbow Dash is restored to normal, the girls all cheer and hug each other. Then a herd of buffalo in tutus dances across the screen, and they remember that they still have Discord to deal with.
Maybe it's a little early for a group hug.
- The Powerpuff Girls go into celebratory hugs after stopping a crime in "Mime For A Change," until Bubbles notices that the color has been drained from the landscape.