Red Oni Blue Oni: Anime and Manga
Anime and manga examples of Red Oni, Blue Oni
- S Cry Ed was completely based around this trope, with Kazuma and Ryouhou being eternal red/blue rivals.
- Athena and her assistant Nike in Appleseed are complete opposites but work extremely efficiently together running the city of Olympus, with Athena keeping the public and the politicians in check mostly by sheer force of will and Nike serving as her Noble Top Enforcer behind the scenes. In the anime, Athena has red hair and dresses in red and brown, while Nike is pale blond and dresses in white and blue.
- Jin and Mugen from Samurai Champloo. They are not only dressed in the respective colors and are foils, they represent every trait possible of the trope. Water and fire (fish and rooster in the OP), past and future, tradition and innovation (Technician Versus Performer), orthodox and unorthodox, predictable and unpredictable, economy and extravagance, controlled purpose and chaotic energy, order and chaos, stoicism and emotion, etc. Jin is practically unable to feel passionate about anything or form attachments to anyone, while Mugen is recklessly passionate without direction or purpose (or the brain power to put it to use). Fortunately, they get better throughout all the whirls of yin and yang.
- Fullmetal Alchemist:
- The Elric brothers: Edward (red) and Alphonse (blue). Ed is typically more impulsive and quick to anger and wears a red coat, while Al is a more collected Gentle Giant who typically has to restrain his older brother and happens to be a cool gray suit of armor.
- Made quite blatant in the fourth Brotherhood opening — the two pass each other and gain their respective colors.
- Also kind of interesting is that all of the other State Military characters wear blue uniforms, and the Xingese characters also tend toward either blue or more muted colors, and Ed is one of the most Hot-Blooded characters in the cast. On the other hand, he's a unique example of a highly intelligent Red Oni.
- Olivier Mira Armstrong is an interesting version. Usually, because of her no-nonsense behaviour, she is portrayed as the Blue Oni toward the rather expressive Mustang and emotional Alex Armstrong. However, the same attitude also makes her Red Oni in critical situations, because in such situations, she will respond with the same brutality being inflicted on her, while Mustang and Alex will keep their standards.
- From the first anime, there's Winry and Sheska. Winry is extraverted, enthusiastic, and sometimes wears a red bandanna, while Sheska is quiet, bookish, and sometimes wears a blue uniform.
- Also from the first anime, Ax-Crazy Blood Knight Kimblee, whose main outfit before being re-instated is a red buttoned shirt, and cold-blooded General Ripper Archer, who's never seen in anything but his blue military uniform, would be villainous examples.
- Ayano and Kazuma from Kaze no Stigma. Ayano has a fiery, impulsive, very caring personality, while Kazuma has a calm, impassioned, jaded personality. The colors fit them too; in the OP, Ayano is colored red and Kazuma blue. Kazuma has blue eyes when his power is activated and a general blue theme, and Ayano has red hair and reddish eyes.