open/close all folders
The Guardians are the student council of the school, whose task aside from protecting and representing the general student population is to preserve the Heart's Eggs of said children, and personages within general. They are also tasked with hunting for the Embryo (Due towards Tadase's ideas towards creating himself as the world's king.), the legendary wish-granting Egg, which of course pits them against the Easter Company. It is primarily composed of four kids: the King's Chair, the Queen's Chair, the Jack's Chair, the Ace's Chair, and the occasional Joker's Chair, only taken via one with three or more Chara. Each of the members has a Guardian Character that represents an aspect of the person they want to be, which grants them special powers when they need it.The Guardians were founded by Tsukasa, making the current ones the second generation of Guardians.Tropes in general:
- Absurdly Powerful Student Council
- Instant Fan Club: There are actually several of these, with overlapping memberships; they're formed prior to the start of the series. The Guardians as a whole, the boys individually, and Amu and Rima even before they join, each have fanclubs. Each fanclub is based on the target's outward character, not the inner one.
- Magical Girl: Amu and the female members; the male ones are magical boys.
- Playing Card Motifs: The positions are titled King, Queen, Jack, and Ace. Amu in particular has guardian characters titled Amulet (Suit).
- School Idol: All of them but especially Tadase.
Voiced by: Kanae Ito (anime), Yuuka Maeda (musical)
- "We are all the main characters of our own stories!"
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: There's a reason why she couldn't stop thinking of the mischievous catlike Ikuto. If that wasn't enough, one of her Guardian Charas, Miki, fangirls over both Yoru and Kiseki (the latter mainly because he has the same goal as many villains out there).
- All Your Powers Combined: Amulet Fortune appears to be this for Amu's four Charas.
- Bare Your Midriff: Her Amulet Heart transformation.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Ikuto.
- Cool Big Sis: Ami certainly thinks so.
- Doting Parents: Her parents crank this Up to Eleven... concerning Ami, of course.
- Dude Magnet: many guys like her, and she even has an Unwanted Harem.
- Even the Girls Want Her: "Cool and spicy!"
- Hair Decorations: She has her X-shaped clips.
- Harmless Electrocution: She get electrocuted on an electric line.
- Exposed to the Elements: Amulet Heart's costume is a skimpy cheerleader's outfit... definitely not suited for cold climates, as she found out when she used her Character Transformation in a ski slope.
- Frilly Upgrade: Amulet Diamond
- Full-Name Basis: Most every villain, as well as minor character Misaki, refers to her by her full name.
- Genki Girl: As Amulet Heart.
- Girlish Pigtails: Amulet Clover and Amulet Diamond
- How Do I Shot Web?: Whenever she Character Transforms with El, she'd use powers, that she herself had no idea how they worked.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Amu's hesitations about her duties as the Joker contribute to the whole mess in the Dia arc.
- Image Song: Hanbun Ko No Heart. Since she is the main character, she gets a lot of them, but this is one of her few solo songs.
- Impossibly Cool Clothes: Amu's customized school 'look' and daily gear always incorporated elements of pure coolness. It does rightly earn her the nickname of "Cool and Spicy".
- Instant Fan Club: She had one prior to her joining the Guardians.
- Involuntary Dance: Ran did this to her via telekinesis in one scene in episode 6. She was not amused.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She starts the series as one, with her inner self being very sweet and well-meaning but her outer self being very cold and stand-offish and doing things like calling Tadase a "shrimp."
- Magic Skirt: Season 1 gave her a perfect example - covering even though it appears to be at right angles to her body. Then season 2 goes the opposite direction and chucks a Panty Shot into the opening theme. Then again this may be the animators trying to point out that Amu is wearing some kind of cheerleader shorts under there.
- Mercury's Wings: Wings appear next to Amu's feet during character changes with Ran.
- Naïve Everygirl: Not usually an anime trope but it fits here.
- Nice Hat: Amulet Spade.
- Power Gives You Wings: Amulet Diamond with her wing-like extensions. Also subverted with Amulet Angel, Amu's transformation with El, who does have wings, but isn't all that powerful.
- Red Armband of Leadership: Amu has one of these (unlabeled), symbolic of her outward character's fame rather than any position. Perhaps this serves more of a purpose when she's recruited as the Guardians' Joker.
- Rock Me, Asmodeus!: Amulet Devil.
- Rookie Red Ranger: She's the most recent addition to the Guardians, but she has the most eggs and is the first to achieve a Character Transformation.
- Ship Tease: Ikuto particularly.
- Stocking Filler: As Amulet Spade.
- Stripperific: Amulet Heart and Amulet Devil
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Her public persona (and Impossibly Cool Clothes) gives her the "cool and spicy" title, but she just wants to be like any other girl and is actually somewhat shy. She opens up more as the series goes on, and the public reaction to this kicks off a story arc.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes
- Transformation Trinket: The Humpty Lock
- Tsundere: Funny enough, Amu is this way towards Tadase, often acting coldly towards him while inwardly squeeing over how cute he is. For example, when she sees him wearing a dashing white uniform:Tadase: This outfit is a bit big for me though. Does it look funny?Amu: *blush* Not really! And it's not like I think it's cuter because it's a bit big!!
- She tends to get like this around Ikuto at times too...but, Ikuto's...well...understandable.
- Unwanted Harem: She even lampshades it at one point while contemplating her various crushes: "How many guys do I like?! Sheesh!"
- Wise Beyond Their Years: She seems to have a knack for philosophical speeches despite only being in elementary school
- Zettai Ryouiki: Amu's legwarmers tend to be just a little bit too low. JUST BARELY. Some of her other outfits invoke this though.
Voiced by: Reiko Takagi (anime), Hidemi Hikita (musical)
- "I'm sorry, but there's already someone I like."
- Adorably Precocious Child: Tadase takes his job as King very seriously.
- All Guys Want Cheerleaders: His crush on Amulet Heart.
- Berserk Button: Never, EVER, call him a prince. Or anything that sounds like it in Japanese.
- Bishie Sparkle: And he knows it: He deploys it, along with being Bishie already, four times over the course of the series as a convincing device: Once to Saeki Nobuko within order to make her drive the four pre - series Guardians (And, later, Amu and Utau) towards easter headquaters, once to halt Ami from pestering Amu to allow her to see Utau (Which backfires as soon as Ami addresses him as "prince".) once towards Nagihiko, to convince him to re - join the Guardians (Which almost succeeds, but is eventually dismissed... Then Amu comes by and does one of her own accidentally, which seals the deal.), and once to sell tickets for Utau's comeback show (Which is entirely successfull.)
- Bishōnen: Lampshaded gloriously by Kukai's brothers at one point:"Aw, you should have brought home a girl!""Oh, but he does look like a girl, doesn't he?"
- Dragged into Drag: Alongside Kukai by Nagihiko.
- Evil Laugh: Probably one of the best within all of anime.
- Full-Name Basis: Always calls Ikuto by his full name, although, um - like most placements of this, it is most definitely NOT due towards comaderie.
- Generation Xerox: His uncle Tsukasa looks exactly like an older version of him. Emphasized in the last chapters of the manga where a future version of him appeared, leading to Fan Dumb believing that future!Tadase was Tsukasa since the first day.
- Idiot Hair: Although he is most definitely not an idiot.
- Image Song: Chiisana Hoshi ~The Little Prince~
- Loves My Alter Ego: Tadase only likes (or admits to liking) Amulet Heart. Amu is just a friend... at first.
- Subverted when he realizes his mistake and finally confesses his feelings to Amu, liking her and not her Alter Ego because he realizes that they're the same person.
- Noblewoman's Laugh: When in Character Change mode.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Platinum Royale. That is all.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Averted normally, but played straight whenever he's in Character Change mode.
- Take Over the World: Again, in Character Change mode. Fear King Tadase's diabolical laughter!
- It IS still there within his non Character - Changed form, and is, within fact his most powerful of Dreams. However, he just keeps under - cover when Kiseki isn't there to offer a large amount of ham.
Nadeshiko /Nagihiko Fujisaki
Voiced by: Saeko Chiba (anime), Kanon Fukuda (musical)
- "Could you please keep this secret from the others a while longer?"
- Attractive Bent-Gender: Nagihiko and Nadeshiko are both very attractive.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Rima.
- Berserk Button: Don't belittle the Fujisakis' strange family upbringing.
- Bishie Sparkle
- Bishōnen: So pretty and girly-looking that it's hard to believe he's really a boy even when he isn't crossdressing.
- Cute and Psycho: Character Change with Temari. No one's entirely sure why you would want to be one of these, but you have to admit that it's better to be a psycho than to be a boy who's trapped in women's clothes because of some stupid traditions and has to keep up a "Yamato Nadeshiko" image EVERY DAY.
- Fake Twin Gambit: Nadeshiko and her "twin brother" Nagihiko are one and the same.
- Gratuitous English: When Character Changing with Rhythm. "HEI, GAIZ!"
- Hair Decorations: As Nadeshiko, 'her' hair is tied up in a ponytail with a red ribbon that has sakura flower ends.
- He Cleans Up Nicely: In episode 85 of the anime, when going to a fashion event with the other Guardians, he ends up getting late, and when he does show up, his highly detailed outfit◊, which manages to be even more stylish than the girls' outfits, leaves everyone else in shock.Amu: It looks like we have a winner...
- Hime Cut: Fitting for someone raised in a very traditional family. He's also a rare male example.
- House Husband: Even though he's not in a relationship, he has the qualities of one.
- Image Song: Hana Tegami
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: He has long hair that makes him look even more girly.
- Meaningful Name: Nadeshiko's name may be related to Yamato Nadeshiko.
- Mr. Fanservice
- Naginatas Are Feminine: To the extent that a Guardian born from a desire to be feminine and graceful wields one.
- Parents for a Day: With Rima when babysitting Yaya's younger brother at the second chapter of Encore!.
- Pink Girl, Blue Boy: Temari is very pink, Rhythm is very blue.
- Power Gives You Wings: The bow in Yamato Maihime's back looks like a pair of butterfly wings.
- Princely Young Man
- Raised as the Opposite Gender: The Fujisakis have a tradition of raising their sons as females so that they can easily become graceful while dancing.
- Rapunzel Hair: Has very long hip-length hair.
- Sobriquet Sex Switch: He goes by Nadeshiko when he crossdresses; his real name is Nagihiko.
- Unsettling Gender Reveal: He has a tough time if and when to tell Amu, which is ironic in that one of the shows Aesops, is to be honest with yourself, and others. However he tells her in the final chapter of Encore!.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Leaving aside the crossdressing thing, Nagihiko is a really nice boy.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Played straight as Nadeshiko performs the female roles in the family's Japanese dance. Subverted by 'her' gender. Then Double subverted. Nagihiko ends up getting Temari, his female Chara back, maintaining small bits of "her" Yamato Nadeshiko-ness. Coincidentally, his Character Tranformation with Temari is called "Yamato Maihime".
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has purple hair, though it could easily be stylized black.
Voiced by: Atsushi Abe (anime), Yuuta Koseki (musical)
- "It's been a while since we did it. Let's go, special training!"
- Adaptation Dye-Job: He has red hair in manga illustrations, but it adapted to brown in the anime.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Utau.
- Big Brother Mentor: As the oldest of the Guardians, the others often turn to him for advice.
- Cool Board: His character transformation, Sky Jack, has one.
- Dragged into Drag: Alongside Tadase by Nagihiko.
- Fiery Redhead
- Green Eyes
- Just a Kid: Utau tends to call him a child even though they are only three years apart.
- Mr. Fanservice
- Pair the Spares: With Utau.
- Put on a Bus: On volume 4. He's not gone for good, though.
- Ship Tease: With Amu and Utau.
- Significant Greeneyed Redhead
- Spell My Name with an "S": Translations differ between Kukai and Kuukai.
Voiced by: Tomoko Nakamura (anime), Meimi Tamura (musical)
- "Hey, why is everyone so sad? I'm the baby here and the only one allowed to cry!"
- Alliterative Name: Yaya Yuiki.
- Bratty Half-Pint
- Brown Eyes
- Cheerful Child
- Hair Decorations: Her pigtails are tied with big red ribbons.
- Genki Girl
- Genre Savvy: She reads a lot of Magical Girl manga and just happens to be a character in a magical girl series
- Girlish Pigtails
- Image Song: Ookiku Naare!
- Improbable Weapon User/What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway? - "GO, DUCKIES, GO!"
- The latter is subverted within the fifth - towards - last episode. DUCKY WALL OF SOUND!
- Joke Character: Most times she tries to fight, all she does is getting herself hurt in a comical way or she ends up hysterically running away from the weakest enemy on the battle field. The creation of her Character Transformation only slightly improves it. Completely subverted within the fourth - towards - last episode. See the entry above for greater specifications.
- Ship Tease: In the third chapter on Encore!, with Kairi.
- Summon Magic: Her powers as Dear Baby are summoning rubber ducks (who are apparently sentient) to attack/distract/run away from the enemy.
- Sweet Tooth
- Token Mini-Moe: Even when the other main other characters are, at most, two years older than her.
- Third-Person Person: "Yaya no Kokoro, Unlock!"
- The Unfavourite: Feels she is this compared to her baby brother.
- Zettai Ryouiki: And she's in fourth (later fifth) grade. Wow.
Voiced by: Sayuri Yahagi (anime), Karen Yagishita (musical)
- "Teacher, there's nothing funny, so why would I smile?
- Adult Fear: Arguably deconstructed. Having your child kidnapped is a horrific thing, yes, but worrying about it to the point that you essentially keep her locked up inside a house almost the entire time is not a good idea.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Nagihiko.
- Berserk Button: Don't even think of telling a joke wrong or insulting comedy, or even refusing to go to an exhibition of it, in Rima’s presence.
- Bishoujo: In - universe, Amu does comment that she "looks like a doll".
- Calling the Old Man Out: Eventually, she tells her parents that she is a person rather than an object for them to keep locked up.
- Catch Phrase: "How foolish" and "Bala-Balansu."
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Rima gets this way about Amu when she wants to hang out with Nagihiko. This even happen when she shows purple aura behind after Amu's hugs Nadeshiko for nearly a minute. Boy was she pissed.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Dark and Troubled Past: She was kidnapped a few years before the start of the story, and although the kidnapping failed, it made her parents suffocatingly overprotective.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Towards the rest of the Guardians, especially Amu, Yaya and Nagihiko.
- Emotionless Girl: When she first appears but she learns to express her feelings better once she opens up to Amu.
- Hair Decorations: She usually sports a little Alice ribbon, which becomes a big red bow when she Character Transforms into Clown Drop.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Her blonde hair for a beautiful and prestigious young girl.
- Image Song: Itsuka wa Romansu
- Instant Fan Club: Just like Amu, there was one dedicated to her shortly after she enrolled into Seiyo Academy.
- Little Miss Snarker: So snarky for such a little girl.
- Macross Missile Massacre: Clown Drop has it as her special move, except using juggling clubs, and only six at that. The way they move and the "trail" was very distinct, though.
- The series is animated by Satelight.
- Meddling Parents: Due to her previous kidnap, Rima's parents are very controlling and overprotective, which has a large toll on Rima.
- New Transfer Student
- Older Than She Looks: While she's the same age as the other characters, she's still awfully short.
- Parents for a Day: With Nagihiko when babysitting Yaya's younger brother at the second chapter of Encore!.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair is so long that it goes down to her waist.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to Yaya's red.
- Serious Business: Comedy, so much it is her Berserk Button.
- Shout-Out: The pose she does when imitating the "Bala-balance!" gag is clearly taken from Dragon Ball's famous◊ Fusion Dance pose.
- So Beautiful, It's a Curse: She's so pretty that in her backstory she was kidnapped specifically because of her appearance, as her kidnappers thought that they would be able to charge a higher price for her because as such.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Just like Amu, she hides her true personality using a cold facade. She gets better little by little.
- Token Mini-Moe: The youngest-looking member of the main cast.
- Tsundere: Type A towards Nagihiko.
- Wise Beyond Her Years
Voiced by: Mitsuki Saiga (anime), Reo Sawada (musical)
Kairi becomes the new Jack's Chair after Kukai graduates. He is very serious, strict and organized, and he tends to ensure that the Guardians get their tasks done. His Chara is a samurai, Musashi.
- Class Representative: He isn't one, but his personality granted him this nickname.
- Defrosting Ice King: Towards Amu and later the rest of the Guardians.
- Dual Wielding: Samurai Soul has two katanas.
- Everything's Better with Samurai: His Character Transformation.
- In-Series Nickname: He is called 'Class Representative' ('Inchou', 'Prez', or whatever the fans want to call it) by Yaya and Amu.
- Katanas Are Just Better: Samurai Soul wields two katanas.
- Scary Shiny Glasses: He has a few scenes in the anime where his glasses glow in a manner that is reminiscent of Professor Tomoe.
- Ship Tease: In the third chapter on Encore!, with Yaya.
- The Stoic
- Not So Stoic: From time to time...
- Wise Beyond His Years: He is one year younger than Yaya.
- Wooden Katanas Are Even Better: During Character Change.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: He has green hair. Like Nadeshiko/Nagihiko, it could very well be stylized black.
- Younger Than He Looks: He is the youngest guardian, being only 10 years old. But he has nearly the same height as Amu, Tadase and Yaya.
Voiced by: Erika (anime)
Voiced by: Yuuichi Nakamura (anime), KENN (musical)
- "Oh, geez... You're just so fun to mess with...
- Brainwashed and Crazy: As Death Rebel.
- Cat Boy: Quirks included. Watch!
- Curtains Match the Window: Though in the Anime they appear to actually be purple at times...
- Dark Is Not Evil: He wears all black and is called the "black cat of misfortune," but he is not exactly a villain.
- Eyepatch of Power: Seven Seas Treasure
- Handsome Lech: due to that fact he's The Tease around Amu, she thinks of him as one.
- Image Song: Tsukiyo no Marionetto
- Innocent Cohabitation: With Amu for some time.
- Jerkass Façade: Purposely acts cold towards the people he cares about so they don't get involved with his problems.
- Lecherous Licking: In the 3rd episode, he licks Amu's 3rd egg.
- Leitmotif: His violin, whenever he appears as Death Rebel.
- Meaningful Name: The "Tsuki" in his family name means "moon"; he has several scenes on the backdrop of a (usually full) moon.
- To be precise, Tsukiyomi is the name of the Japanese God of the Moon.
- Mr. Fanservice: Read the other tropes in this section and you will know why.
- Not Evil, Just Misunderstood: The reason he wants the Embryo so badly is to free himself from being bound to Easter. And with the way Easter treats him, who can blame the guy?
- Punch Clock Villain
- Put on a Bus: In Shugo Chara!! Dokki Dokki. One of the main reasons the fans dislike the season.
- Ship Tease: With Amu
- Sinister Scythe: Death Rebel
- Sleep Cute: When Ikuto is sick and crashing at Amu's place, she notes he "looks defenseless" when asleep. The fans noticed a long time ago...
- Stealth Hi/Bye: Has a habit of doing such. Particularly to Amu.
- Stripperific: Black Lynx
- Tall, Dark and Snarky
- The Tease: He loves to teasingly flirt with Amu.
- Troubled, but Cute
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
Voiced by: Nana Mizuki (anime), Misaki Yonemura (musical)
- "I won't lose... to Hinamori Amu."
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Kuukai.
- Big Brother Attraction: Towards Ikuto. She moves on later.
- Brother-Sister Incest: With Ikuto, one-sided on Utau's part. She moves on later though.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Her motivation right there.
- Creepy Cool Crosses
- Dark Magical Girl
- Defeat Means Friendship
- Defrosting Ice Queen
- Elegant Gothic Lolita
- Frilly Upgrade: Seraphic Charm
- Girlish Pigtails
- Good Angel, Bad Angel: Her Guardian Chara, El and Il.
- Heel–Face Turn
- Idol Singer
- Image Song: Blue Moon
- Jerkass: At first. Later defrosts into more of a Lovable Alpha Bitch.
- Magic Music: Utau's singing has various magical effects inside and outside of battle.
- Magic Skirt: as Lunatic Charm
- Meaningful Name: "Utau" means "to sing".
- Mega Twintails: Her pigtails are impressive in terms of sheer length and volume, with each individually being near equal the width of her head.
- Nom de Mom: Hoshina is her mother's maiden name.
- Pair the Spares: With Kuukai.
- Purple Eyes
- Rapunzel Hair: Her ponytails reach her mid-thighs.
- Ship Tease: In the first chapter of Encore!, with Kukai, complete with a kiss.
- Stage Name: Her true surname is Tsukiyomi, but she uses the surname Hoshina. Heck, even after discovering this, everyone still calls her "Hoshina Utau" instead of "Tsukiyomi Utau".
- Third-Person Person: At times.
- Tsundere: She's seemingly this towards Amu and Kuukai.
- Tutu Fancy: Her Seraphic Charm costume is supposed to resemble an over-the-top ballet tutu, with pink ribbons and white fabrics in excess all over the place as well as oversized angel wings.
- Zettai Ryouiki: And a Grade S◊, to boot.
Voiced by: Junji Majima (anime)
A former employee member of Easter. In order to find the Embryo, he joined Seiyo Elementary and became in charge of Amu's class in the disguise of a clumsy and kind-hearted teacher.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With his ex, Yukari.
- Heel–Face Turn
- Megane: While spying. Him keeping them (even though it's shown that he doesn't really need them) is to show his Heel–Face Turn and being more like the nice teacher he pretended to be.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: While under the guise as Amu's teacher.
- Official Couple: He later proposes to Yukari.
- The Glasses Come Off: Whenever he starts plotting something against The Heart's Egg or is serious. Lampshaded on the second season when he does this to warn the Guardians about the dangers of invading Easter headquarters, and Yaya replies with "It's been a while since we have seen your bad guy face!".
Voiced by: Rio Natsuki (anime), Kumiko Kougami (musical)
A former employee of Easter Company, Kairi Sanjo's older sister, and Utau's manager. She came up with a new project, Black Diamond, to find the Embryo and mass-produce X Eggs.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Nikaidou, her ex.
- Heel–Face Turn: Along with Utau.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She eventually halts a stable job at Easter and runs her own independent recording company after the Black Diamond incident.
- Official Couple: She accepts Nikaidou's proposal.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: With her little brother Kairi. Even their hair colors are opposites.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Magenta hair, in her case.
Voiced by: Mitsuru Ogata (anime)The managing director of Easter company, a middle-aged man who is also the stepfather of Ikuto and Utau, and the former superior of Nikaidou and Yukari.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: He only wanted to realize the wish of his grandchild, but extremist methods like crushing people's dreams and abusing his stepchilds are going way too far and he too failed in properly raising his grandchild.
Lulu de Morcerf Yamamoto
Voiced by: Akemi Kanda (anime)
- "Just do everything ya wanna do!"
- Blondes Are Evil: Although she becomes less so after befriending Amu.
- But Not Too Foreign: Half-French and half-Japanese.
- Canon Foreigner: An anime-original character.
- Catch Phrase: See the quote above, said everytime before extracting an Mystery Egg.
- Everything's Sparkly with Jewelry
- My God, What Have I Done?: Oh, Nana...
- Ojou: Acts like one.
- Repetitive Name: Dream Dream. The first "Dream" is because she in uncertain of her dream, and the second one is... well, because every other Mystery Transformation has it.
Tsukumo, Manta and Chichimura
Voiced by: Yoshimasa Kawata, Koichi Sakaguchi, Keiko Nemoto (anime)
- "We won! But... is this really right?"
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Chichimura seems to have a crush on Ikuto.
- Butt Monkey: All of them.
- Canon Foreigner: They only appear in the anime.
- Heel–Face Turn
- Sempai/Kohai: Tsukumo and Yukari, one-sided on his part.
- Terrible Trio
Voiced by: Shozo Iizuka, Eri Nakao (as Hikaru Ichinomiya) (anime)The head of Easter Company.
Voiced by: Kana Asumi (anime)The first to hatch from Amu's eggs. Ran represents Amu's desire to be more honest, confident and athletic.
- Genki Girl
- Nice Hat
- Pink Means Feminine: As mentioned below, she expresses Amu's desire to be cute. Plus, her outfit is pink.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Ran and Miki serve as Tomboys to Suu's Girly Girl. Representing Amu's desire to be more athletic, Ran is herself the Tomboy to Miki's Girly Girl.
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak: Not much of a tomboy herself. She expresses Amu's desire to be cute (plus her design is heavily designed on pink).
Voiced by: Nanae Katou (anime)The second to hatch from Amu's eggs. Miki represents Amu's desire to be more sharp, level headed, and artistic.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Fangirls over both Yoru and Kiseki (the latter mainly because he has the same goal as many villains out there).
- Defrosting Ice Queen: As the series progressed, she has become more cheerful compared to her earlier appearances.
- Nice Hat
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Miki and Ran serve as Tomboys to Suu's Girly Girl. Oddly, as she represents Amu's desire to be more artistic, Miki is also the Girly Girl to Ran's Tomboy.
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak: As noted above, she's a tomboy compared to Suu, but whereas Ran is more athletic (albeit pink and cutesy), Miki is more artistic.
- True Blue Femininity: Downplayed; she wears blue and looks most cool-headed compared to the energetic Ran. Plus, as mentioned above, she's more interested in the arts.
Voiced by: Aki Toyosaki (anime)The third to hatch from Amu's eggs. Suu represents Amu's desire to be more caring, sensitive and improve her domestic skills.
Voiced by: Kaya Miyake (anime)Tadase's Guardian Character. Kiseki was born for a combination of Tadase's desire to be stronger and the dream of world domination.
- Take Over the World: His goal.
Voiced by: Ryoka Yuzuki (anime)Nadeshiko's first Guardian Character. Temari appears to be elegant and Nadeshiko's desire to be more mannered and become a Japanese dancer.
Voiced by: Kouki Miyata (anime)Nadeshiko/Nagihiko's second Guardian Character. Rhythm appears to be cool and outgoing, showing Nagihiko's boy self.
Voiced by: Hiroyuki Yoshino (anime)Kukai's Guardian Character. He was born when Kukai wanted to do many sports but had to choose.
Voiced by: Kimiko Koyama (anime)Yaya's baby-like Guardian Character who was born from Yaya's desire to remain baby-like in nature.
Voiced by: Sayaka Narita (anime)Rima's Guardian Character and represents Rima's desire to make others laugh.
- Hime Cut
- Meaningful Name: Japanese use "kusukusu" to represent a mischievous laugh. Makes sense, since she's modeled after a clown.
- The Prankster
Voiced by: Nobuhiko Okamoto (anime)Kairi's Guardian Character created from his desire to become a samurai and protect the weak.
Voiced by: Miyuki Sawashiro (anime)Ikuto's cat-like Guardian Character and represents Ikuto's desire to be free.
Voiced by: Hiromi Konno (anime)The first of Utau's two Character Guardians introduced in the story. She has a devilish look and represents Utau's energic and playful side.
Voiced by: Hyo-sei (anime)Utau's second Guardian Character and is the complete angelic opposite of Il.
Voiced by: Kanae Ito (anime)Amu's fourth Guardian Character. Diamond represents Amu's radiance. She is supposedly the most powerful Guardian Character.
Voiced by: Ryoka Yuzuki (anime)Rikka's Guardian Character. Rikka gave birth to her egg in Shugo Chara!!! Dokki Doki episode 15. Before she hatched, Rikka felt lost of herself which subsequently turned her egg into an X-Egg, but it purified very soon. Hotaru is polite and elegant, balancing out Rikka's energy and spunk.
Voiced by: Ryoka Yuzuki (anime)Lulu's Guardian Character. She represents Lulu's desire to try many things and her specialty is making jewelry.
Voiced by: Miyuki Kawasho (anime)
- "Ohohohoho! We meet again, Amu Hinamori!"
- Alpha Bitch
- Cute but Cacophonic: She can play the piano very well. Singing on the other hand...
- Designated Victim: By so far, the only character to have been X-Egged, X-Charaed and Mystery-Transformed.
- Evil Counterpart: Her Mystery-Transformation, Hinamori Dream (And the subsequents Gorgeous Heart, Gorgeous Spade and Gorgeous Clover), made her achieve this status, by having "evil" (Actually opposite rather than evil, but it still counts) versions of Amu's transformations and attacks... for one episode, and she doesn't even remember it.
- Full-Name Basis: One-sided on her part with Amu.
- Girl Posse: Is the leader of one.
- Hopeless Suitor: Sorry, but neither Tadase nor Kukai are interested.
- Noblewoman's Laugh
- Rich Bitch: She's not a bitch all the time, but she is rich.
- Unknown Rival: To Amu.
Voiced by: Kurumi Mamiya (anime)
- "Shugoi Chara!"
- Annoying Younger Sibling
- Bratty Half-Pint
- Children Are Innocent: The reason she can see Guardian Characters.
- Cute but Cacophonic: Not that her parents think so, but Amu seems to be bemused by Ami's squealy singing being deemed as fantastic by her parents.
- Daddy's Girl
- Hair Decorations
- Malaproper: Shugoi Chara, anyone?
- Spanner in the Works: Wouldn't you know it that she was the one that helped Utau make a Heel–Face Turn, huh?