Just two gals engaging in girl talk.
"But you are female."
"So? I have always enjoyed the company of women, and being one myself removes a lot of social barriers."
— Valesti Disore (formerly John Glasken), Eyes of the Calculor
Oh no! Somehow your sex has changed
! Just when you were working up the nerve to confess your love to that classmate you like! But wait, this situation isn't hopeless...
Now you're the same sex (this trope only seems to happen to heterosexual people) as them. If you become their best friend, maybe you can learn enough about them to date them as your true self, and they'll never figure out that you are the same person! Of course like all the best plans it can and will go awry
May occur with either Gender Bender
(Disguised in Drag
or Sweet Polly Oliver
) scenarios. Compare and contrast Jumping the Gender Barrier
and Unsettling Gender-Reveal
. Like most Gender Bender
tropes this is generally subject to the First Law of Gender-Bending
, but there are exceptions.
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Futabakun Change. Although in the end, Misaki finds out, accepts it, and finds a way to Gender Bender herself in the same way to make herself a compatible mate to Futaba-kun/chan, similar to the Zerophilia example below.
- ''Gacha Gacha: The Secret arc centers around the hero turning into a girl whenever he sneezes and forming a close relationship with the girl he likes.
- CUTE×GUY. One of the few cases of a girl-turned-guy becoming friends with her male crush.
- Pretty Face. Except here only the person's face is changed, not his entire gender, and his love interest mistakes him for her twin sister. But otherwise it fits.
- Kämpfer spends a lot more time having fun with this than it does with the ostensible premise of the show.
- Kashimashi: Girl Meets Girl
- Fudanshism runs off of this; the protagonist disguises himself as a girl when his sister is too sick to go to a convention where he runs into his crush. To the protagonist's increasing bafflement his crush quickly becomes good friends with his female alter-ego while continuing to ignore the real him.
- Inverted in Ranma ½. Shampoo loves Ranma when he's a boy, because he beat her in a fight and she comes from an obscure Chinese Amazon-like tribe that marries men who beat them. When he's a girl, Shampoo wants to tear him to shreds, because he beat her as a girl too and that's another tribal custom.
- Once she found out that they were the same people and that he was originally a boy, she is just plain affectionate to him/her in both forms, unless s/he pisses her off.
- Played straight with Akane befriending him before she found out that it was actually a boy who beat her in a spar.
- In Kanaete Aizen (Grant My Wish, Aizen) what appears to be a "shy boy wishes for a hot girl and wakes up as one instead" Be Careful What You Wish For plot actually turns out to be a Gender-Bender Friendship plan on the part of a (seemingly) Literal Genie to get Aizen to confess his love for his Unlucky but soon to be Victorious Childhood Friend Yuzu.
- In Ame Nochi Hare, Hazuki and his friends turn into girls whenever it rains. He gets gets more friendly with love interest Asumi as a girl than as a guy.
- Oddly enough, the trope is also played with here. Hazuki, in "Tsukiko" identity, manages to strike up a friendship with Asumi's brother, Takuma. They get along quite well and seem to enjoy each other's company. In guy-form, Hazuki finds Takuma's stoic demeanor to everyone else unsettling and Takuma only knows Hazuki as "Tsukiko's cousin". Hazuki explicitly notes that they wouldn't ever be friends if it weren't for his gender swapping. Asumi and Hazuki's friend Touma ship them.
- One of the major plots of the Thor fanfic (All) Father Loki. After Loki’s girlfriend, Sigyn, discovers that he had impregnated Angrboda, he transforms into a woman to eliminate the risk in future relationships. It’s Loki’s daughter, Hel, who suggests that he spend some time with Sigyn in his female form to patch up their broken relationship.
Films — Live-Action
- One of the plots in Tootsie.
- Zerophilia is about a genetic condition that switches people's genders after sex, in the end the hero/heroine discovers his girlfriend/friend and boyfriend/rival are the same person.
- In Sorority Boys, the three male leads are kicked out of their fraternity and dress up as women to seek refuge in what is deemed the "ugly" sorority house. In the process, one of the men ends up being friends with a girl he'd met earlier and hit on unsuccessfully, but now has a chance to get to truly know. Of course, Hilarity Ensues.
- One of the other leads, a supposed Dumb Muscle, also befriends a number of the unpopular girls in the house (particularly a girl suffering from giantism) after learning that they've been judged by their looks all their lives, just like he has.
- Some Like It Hot: Two male musicians on the run are forced to to hide in an all-girls band. As girls. Naturally, they become quite chummy with the other musicians.
- The last book in Sean McMullan's Greatwinter Trilogy has this happen to its lovable letch John Glasken. Irony of ironies, he winds up enjoying girl-friendship more than hawt sechs, as shown in the page quote.
- An intensely awkward example happens in Sergey Lukyanenko's Night Watch when Anton's had his mind swapped with Olga. He can't tell Svetlana what's happened until they reach her warded apartment... after she's had a very private conversation with "Olga" about Anton.
- This happened in The Zack Files once, except that the Gender Bent character was trying to set the girl up with his friend, not with himself.
- In the 2004-2005 French series Vice Versa, the main character Thomas sometimes uses his double Emmanuelle/Julia in order to get information on his crush.
- Sabrina the Teenage Witch did this deliberately with a spell to turn her into a boy so she could find out what her boyfriend talked about with his friends when girls weren't around.
- On Charmed Prue accidentally turns herself into a man while casting a spell to find the Femme Fatale Monster of the Week. She's far from happy, but also gets a chance to talk to her current Love Interest and find out what he thinks of her.