Film: Sorority Boys
Sorority Boys is a 2002 comedy film. After three guys get framed for theft and booted from their frat house, they dress up as women and pledge the "ugly girl" sorority, where they figure they'll blend right in till they can prove their innocence. Hilarity Ensues.Doofer, Dave and Adam are falsely accused of stealing money from their fraternity, Kappa Omicron Kappa (KOK). The money goes towards the end of the year 'KOK-tail Cruise'—the one that guarantees them a spot at a very high paying company no matter how low their GPA is. After being thrown out, they try to sneak into a party at the house by dressing as girls to get back a tape that should have recorded whoever did steal the money. Not being attractive, they are quickly nabbed by the "D.O.G. catcher" net.Thrown onto the D.O.G.s' (Delta Omicron Gamma) doorstep, they are immediately accepted by the group for being 'plus-sized' girls. Since there is free room and board to those who pledge for the first semester at DOG, they decide to pledge to hide out for some time. While the boys deal with the hardships of being women, they are subjected to all kinds of abuse from the "pretty" sorority, the 'Tri-Pis' (Pi Pi Pi), and their brothers at KOK. All this while simultaneously trying to sneak back into the KOK house to get the proof they need to prove their innocence, and get reinstalled in their fraternity.Slowly, the men relinquish their frat mentality and realize how hurtful they have been to women over the years. As they get to know the women of DOG, they begin to see them as people, and a romance blossoms between "Daisy" (Dave) and Leah, president of DOG.
The Film Contains Examples of:
- All Guys Want Sorority Women: The KOKs certainly do. At least until the ending, when they realize that the decidedly uncheerleader-like girls of DOG aren't so bad after all.
- Alpha Bitch: All of the Tri-Pis qualify as this.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: Despite being a member of the DOG house, "Daisy" is considered pretty by most boys she meets.
- Berserk Button: "Freak" for an unusually tall D.O.G. girl. Oh yeah.
- Black Comedy Rape: See Sexual Karma entry.
- Blatant Lies: Doofer narrates his harmless-sounding discovery of Adam's hidden video camera (e.g., "The trunk was already unlocked. I didn't touch it!"), while we see what actually happened (e.g., shooting the lock off with a handgun).
- Deconstructed Trope: At one point, Doofer admits he hates his party boy persona and he crushes beer cans on his head because he doesn't know how else to make friends.
- Different for Girls
- Disguised in Drag
- Flynning: With dildos!
- Funny Foreigner: Frederique, the DOG's French exchange student. She smokes cigarettes constantly, has an inordinate amount of body hair (including a mustache), and loves "ze baseball" and "zose toilets zat flush!"
- Fun with Acronyms: Lampshaded. Kappa Omicron Kappa holds an annual "KOK-tail Cruise", and the girls of Delta Omicron Gamma are repeatedly (and unironically) called "Dogs".
- Gentle Giant: Patty, who literally suffers from giantism but is extremely shy and sensitive.
- I'm a Humanitarian: When the DOGs steal back their cruise from the Tri-Pis, they leave them floating in a life raft...which drifts out into the open ocean. In The Stinger, we see the surviving Tri-Pis (now delirious and heavily sunburned) gnawing on the leg of one of their sorority sisters.
- In Another Man's Shoes: The theme of the movie. The climactic scene occurs when Adam/Adima stumbles out of Jimmy's room—in all likelihood having been raped while unconscious—and enduring the gauntlet of cheering, jeering, and leering that he'd participated in so many times. His humiliation and rage are so palpable that the men actually stop and watch in silence as he stumbles away. ...Before immediately cheering and hi-fiving as soon as he leaves the hall.
- Incredibly Conspicuous Drag: A common criticism of the movie is that the protagonists are so obviously guys in cheap dresses that it is impossible to believe anybody could buy them as women.
- Pair the Spares
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Seriously. Who were they kidding?
- Sexual Karma: It is heavily implied that Adam was raped by Jimmy. This is played for laughs.
- Sexy Soaked Shirt: During the powderpuff football game one of the KOKs turns on the sprinklers, dousing the Tri-Pis (much to the delight of the rowdy crowd). The Tri-Pis, adjusting their now-transparent baby tees, are oblivious as to why they're getting such loud cheers all of a sudden....
- Straw Feminist: The Women's Studies professor, an aging Granola Girl who teaches a course called "Femalehood In Crisis" and assigns readings on "Histrionics and the Male Demographic" and "The Myth of the Male Orgasm".
- Subverted with Leah, who, thanks to the abusive and disgusting behavior she and her friends have been subjected to on campus, has every right to be angry with and distrustful of men.
- Sweet on Polly Oliver: When Leah falls in love with "Daisy".
- Two-Timer Date: Dave during the KOK-tail Cruise, where he's expected to appear as both himself (to meet with his father's KOK alumni business associates) and Daisy (on a date with Leah).
- Wacky Fratboy Hijinx
- Wholesome Crossdresser