open/close all folders
Chou-Chou and Her Seven Personalities
"I will make everything in the Seven Worlds bow down to me!"
A young girl who declared her plan to conquer the Seven Worlds, because each world has unique beautiful features. And she wants them. She has two special abilities thanks to her title of "Undisputed God" — Peon Rebirth, which forces anyone/anything that likes, loves, adores or worships her into her obedient servants; and Form Change, which transforms her to match a different personality.
"Hmhmhmm. Have you reached your limit? That's fine. Drool all you like!"
The most mature-looking of Chou-Chou's seven incarnated personalities, and the most sadistic, not to mention with a vocabulary dripping with innuendo, sometimes with a backhanded compliment or veiled insult within.
"Eep! U-um, excuse me... Please forgive me! I'll do anything you want! Anything!"
Chou-Chou's shy personality, who tends to respond to any conversation made with her with a volley of apologies (and that includes the Shampurus). Often she'll jump headfirst into battle... if only to relish in the pain she will invariably receive from it.
"I believe today is a good day to serve everyone some good tea."
The tidy aspect of Chou-Chou, and, in her own words, the most boring, because she's everything Chou-Chou isn't normally: polite, respectfully quiet and graceful.
"Ta-da! I'm here! Hey, hey, hey! Lookit me!"
Voiced by: Yuna Inamura (Japanese)
Chou-Chou's most energetic and childish persona.
"D-don't think I'm gonna be honest with you ever again!"
Voiced by: Yui Shouji (Japanese)
The side of Chou-Chou afflicted with social awkwardness.
"Gross. A little toady begging a little girl like her..."
Voiced by: Yui Shouji (Japanese)
The terse, cold and quiet side of Chou-Chou, who always carries a bunny plushie with her.
"Am I being good? You should pat me on the head!"
Chou-Chou's most spaced-out personality who seems to live in her own world.
- The Ditz
- The Nicknamer: Though the nicknames are often quite simple yet bizarre, and often longer than the original name. Altis is "Tes-Tes", Ryuto is "Hey-You", Soul is "So-So", Sandy is "San-San", Alys is "Al", Tsukika is "Kiki", Welsh is "Welloony", Sharuru is "Sharurururu", Marina is "Big Sis Rina", Dees is "Deedee", Shirogane is "Old Dude", and Elka is "Pervka".
Altis / Altalt-tistis
"I'm no Angel! I'm a Demon! A vile, wicked Demon!"
An angel who used to be a demon in a past life. Altis is so utterly clumsy that, during her life as a demon, she always ended up doing something good whenever she tried to stir up trouble, for one reason or another. Proving incapable of delivering desired amounts of evil, she was eventually reborn as an angel and booted out of the Netherworld. Not one to be discouraged by such a minor setback, she still spends her days plotting evil schemes in order to be reborn as a demon once more.
, she reemerges as "Altalt-tistis", a masked villainess and Kakeru's archnemesis.
- Accidental Hero: The reason she's an unwilling angel.
- Ascended Demon: Although like most examples she was not trying to be this.
- Expy: To Artina, on account of both being gunslingers in skimpy outfits, with matching un-angelic behavior and the same English voice actress.
- Butt Monkey: An amusing subversion — she thinks she's this by her own standards; to everyone else, she's a blessing.
- Evil Overlord: She believes she can become this if she helps take over the world. To bad the universe has other plans.
- Femme Fatale: Averted, she wants to be this but failed epically.
- Foil: A company-wise version with Flonne, a flat-chested angel who became a demon for technically doing evil while trying to do good, though she doesn't mind the change. Altis is pretty busty, was a demon who became an angel without even intending to, and is annoyed with it.
- The Gunslinger: This is her starting and best weapon of choice.
- Minion with an F in Evil: And boy, does she try too hard to be evil...
- Paper-Thin Disguise: When she reemerged as "Altalt-tistis", Altis didn't even bother to disguise her green hair, wings or halo let alone that her new name is awfully too similar to her original.
"Amazing! As expected of Lady Chou-Chou! I'll follow you to the edge of the universe!"
Chou-Chou's first noteworthy vassal. He is the reincarnation of an interstellar ship, who hoped to wander the universe, but when reality fell short of his aspirations, he met Chou-Chou and instantly fell for her. Since then, he has become her loyal servant and is in charge of her ship's upkeep. He does not mind the labor, so long as he remains close to Chou-Chou.
- Always Someone Better: This is his main struggle. Early on, he was the only non-Shampuru servant on the ship, so he was fairly useful as general handyman. But once more people who are as skilled as he is (if not better) start joining, he becomes increasingly useless. Soul outclasses him as a fighter, Elka as a pilot, and once they get enough people, there's little need to have one "sole" mechanic. He desperately wants to be useful to Chou-Chou, but it's difficult for a jack-of-all-trades like him.
- Anti-Hero: Type I. Before becoming a peon, anyway. He's this by default.
- Anti-Villain: Type IV, considering he'd do anything Chou-Chou told him to. At one point when Altis suggests that they may form an oppressive, tyrannical regime, Ryuto admits he'd still help if that was what Chou-Chou really wanted.
- Blank White Eyes: When he's scared shitless.
- Bodyguard Crush: He's more of a servant than a full-on bodyguard but...
- Captain Ersatz: He has the same look, temperance and even English voice actor as Almaz.
- Catch Phrase: Subtle ones. "There there..." and "That's how it is" are common phrases for him.
- Chekhov's Gunman: He is the Hero of Soil World. He had the last fragment of Chou-Chou's gemstone with him from the start.
- The Chew Toy: The game seems to be having a chew-toy contest between him and Elka. Most of the time Elka gets the shorter end of the stick, but you gotta feel sorry for Ryuto sometimes.
- Chivalrous Pervert
- Cowardly Lion
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Has his moments. He comes up with most of the group's plans and has some degree of skill as well.
- Deadpan Snarker: Can be downright cynical at times.
- Determinator: Would do anything for his Lady Chou-Chou... well, he'll try his best anyway.
- Foreshadowing: He was subjected to Peon Rebirth and isn't a Shampuru. He was the Hero of Soil World.
- Genre Savvy: Quick to catch on to details and often is the group's unofficial strategist. To start, the idea of simply conquering the two most powerful beings on a world to conquer it was his idea.
- Goggles Do Nothing
- Happiness in Slavery: To the max. As long as he remains close to Chou-Chou, that's all he needs.
- Heroic Wannabe: Subverted. He was Soil World's hero the whole time.
- Ignored Enamored Underling: It's not given a whole lot of focus, so it's difficult to tell what Chou-Chou really thinks of him.
- Large Ham: Only when he overreacts to stuff.
- Made a Slave: Not that he's complaining.
- Nice Guy: He is Chou-Chou's vassal first and foremost, but tends to help out anyone in need on the ship.
- Nosebleed The "Red Ryuto Geyser".
- No Respect Guy: Considering how hard he works for her, his efforts are rarely praised. He's not unskilled, but circumstances and the interference of others tend to ruin whatever he's doing.
- Only Sane Man: At times.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Nothing particularly dangerous, but his eyes are blood-red for some reason.
- Slave Collar: That thing around his neck certainly looks like a dog collar.
- Subordinate Excuse: His crush on Chou-Chou is pretty obvious. Hell, half the tropes associated with him wouldn't be here if it weren't the case.
- Sycophantic Servant: Probably the most definitive example in recent memory.
- The Smart Guy
- Undying Loyalty
- Yes-Man: To Chou-Chou. Very rarely does he not immediately agree with everything she says, and when he doesn't, it's usually for her own good.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
"This is no time to fool around. I must slay the Demon Lord."
The Hero of Sun World (for a certain value of "hero"), Soul is skilled in both blades and magic. He can be a bit brusque and taciturn, but it is all to keep a level head. He is completely impressed with the "Hero who is me" and usually chooses the archetypical "heroic" way of doing things. In the midst of all that, he takes a special kind of pleasure in dressing his female party members up in swimsuits and forcing them to journey with him like that. For those and other reasons, his strength is recognized worldwide, though citizens also see him as a weirdo and, as such, he is not all that popular.
- The Ace
- Anti-Hero: Type II. Kind of a self-centered jerk, but generally well-meaning. He is a great hero; he just happens to overindulge in the perks of being one.
- Awesome Mc Cool Name
- Byronic Hero: Played for Laughs
- Celibate Hero: Zigzagged. He seems to care little about women's bodies, but is very quick to fit them in swimsuits. Soul lampshades this himself when Chou-Chou Sadist asked why he isn't getting into it like Sandy.
- Disability as an Excuse for Jerkassery: Heroes are actually compelled to break into houses, rummage through strangers' stuff, and smash pottery. Most of the world and heroes view it as a mental affliction; he enjoys it. The only thing he enjoys more is being allowed to parade Sandy around in a bikini.
- Handsome Lech
- Hero with Bad Publicity: His power and deeds are revered, but the citizens of Sun World find him creepy, and justifiably so.
- Ideal Hero: He believes himself to be this. Not so much in reality. In Mugen Souls Z Nao initially believes him to be one, becoming utterly infatuated with the Soul in her mind, as the group never bothered to get around to mentioning his "one terrible flaw".
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: You'd never know he's a hero with his abrasive, perverse personality. But when push comes to shove he can show that he is not so bad a person after all.
- Kleptomaniac Hero: Parodied. Chou-Chou and Altis mistake him for a villain when they see him doing this.
- Laser Blade
- Pragmatic Hero
- Red-Headed Hero
- Socially-Awkward Hero: He's pretty blunt and oblivious when he may be offending others. Always honest, though.
- Sociopathic Hero: Played for Laughs. He's clearly not evil and does the right thing when it matters, but at any other time he's a perverted jerk at his worst and a mere lecher at his best.
- Unscrupulous Hero. Ironically, he's the most heroic hero in the game in terms of actions, but one of the least heroic heroes in personality.
"The only one who can discipline me is Madam!"
-Princess (and Demon Lord) of Sun World. Until recently, Sandy was almost like a currency exchanged between different monsters looking to kidnap a princess, but she was eventually rescued by Soul. However, she is not allowed to return to her castle and, once rescued, has been forced to travel alongside Soul. Since then, she has been ill-treated by innkeepers, paraded around in revealing swimsuits, and has generally had a rough existence. She is elegant, clean, and obedient — the paragon of a princess. However, when she comes across her "type", her personality does a total 180░.
- The Chew Toy: On par with Ryuta.
- The Chick
- Damsel in Distress: In her past. Now under Soul's (and eventually Chou-Chou's) tutelage, she's actually learning to be a better fighter.
- Fusion Dance: She's only technically a Demon Lord, due to the Sun World's actual Lord having absorbed her shortly before being defeated. That said, she does keep some of the latter's power, as well as the ability to sense other Demon Lords.
- Lipstick Lesbian
- Mike Nelson, Destroyer of Worlds: Played for Laughs — in her special attack, she accidentally destroys the entire solar system.
- Murder the Hypotenuse: Attempts to murder the hypotenuse in the temporary Soul-Sandy-Supra triangle from Mugen Souls Z. The hypotenuse in question is Soul, not Supra.
- Oedipus Complex: She doesn't have anything against her father, but she really wanted her mother to do the same things to her she did to him. She's obsessed with Chou-Chou's Sadist personality because she's so similar to her mother.
- Too Kinky to Torture
"This is dire... I am flat broke..."
The Heroine of Moon World, whose regular job is a miko. Shy and withdrawn, Tsukika does not perform many heroic deeds at all, and the residents of her world are not aware she is even their chosen one. This, together with her delicate frame, make the fact that she houses tremendous power all the more surprising. It is rumored she can even lift small mountains. Although she secretly respects Shirogane, whenever she runs into him, she becomes flustered and nervous, which ends up with his ass being handily beaten... somehow.
"You think I can relax after hearing that she's on the move? My life is being targeted by that... that girl!"
The Demon Lord of the Moon World, Shirogane is a manly and reliable father-figure for many. However, due to his title, grim appearance, and rough mannerism, those who meet him for the first time believe him to be an uptight, fussy, and all-around bad guy. However, he never preformed any particularly evil deeds and wandered blithely around his world until he met Tsukika. Since then, his life changed dramatically. Now, every time he runs into her, his ass is thoroughly beaten so often he fears this otherwise lithe waif. He no longer wanders around with joy, but creeps around in fear, in an effort to avoid confrontations with Tsukika.
- Badass Family: In Mugen Souls Z he is effectively part of one with Tsukika and Reu. While Tsukika was initially jealous of the attention Reu was getting from him the three eventually settle into a family like relationship, a fact that does not go unnoticed by the other characters.
- Dual Wielding
- Good Smoking, Evil Smoking: He has a whole collection of pipes.
- Noble Demon: He is a Demon Lord, but monsters don't attack people on his world because of his command.
- No Sell: When protecting Reu from the villagers, he outright ignored their combined assault, proving that he did get something out of Tsukika's unintentional beatings.
- The So-Called Coward: He's badass in his own right. The "coward" part comes up even at the mere mention of Tsukika.
- Why Did it Have to Be Tsukika?
- Younger Than They Look: Constantly referred to as being an old man by others and himself. Ryuto had him pegged for at least fourty, and yet he's only twenty-nine.
"Hooray for Me! Thank you for your undying support!"
The Demon Lord of the Fire World and a famous idol. Because she is clearly craving for attention, she does her utmost to always be surrounded by adoring fans, which does not help her already low social well-being, and is somewhat of a crybaby. To stand out better, she wears fashionable outfits, but she does want to wear subdued, typical outfits every once in awhile. She is at the age where she is discovering who she truly is. Since her personality can be compared to Chou-Chou's, she sees her as a rival. Chou-Chou fails to think alike.
''"Let us celebrate! You have passed the prerequisites needed to earn my love. Come, let us move on to the next step!"
The Hero of Fire World isn't actually human. He's a demon. And a complete narcissist, at that. Elka is convinced every girls swoons upon seeing his manly charm, yet is anything but manly when faced with threats, fueling rumors that he's a cowardly loser. He has been spending quite some time trying to woo Alys, mostly in vain.
"If these ruins are damaged, I might get a teensy bit upset."
The Heroine of Water World, who doesn't even care for protecting her world as much as she does for exploring a ruins buried beneath layers of ice. While a skilled mage in her own right, she tends to screw up her spells terribly.
"It's okay, I'll protect you, Sharuru!"
The Heroine of Tree World and younger twin sister to its Demon Lord, Sharuru. Being pretty young for a Hero, she is still a complete newbie, though she trains together with Sharuru to become stronger.
"I am the demon lord, Sharuru... Tremble before me..."
Demon Lord of Tree World and older twin sister to its Heroine, Welsh. As the least threatening of the Demon Lords, Sharuru tries too hard to look the part, only to end up making herself look too cute to be a threat to the world.
''"I'm the one asking questions here. Answer me!"
Voiced by: Yumi Hara
(Japanese), Kimberly Brooks (English)
The Heroine of Metal World, whose brash personality matches with the dire situation of her home world.
- Big Eater: She "eats" electricity, and has managed to blow G-Castle's fuses doing so.
- Brick Joke: The "Heroes are compelled to smash vases" thing was more or less seemingly dropped after Moon World. Towards the end of the game she accidentally smashes Elka in the face with a vase she threw, and immediately admits to having no idea why she feels the need to destroy them.
- Expy: Looks very much like Miku Hatsune with the hair color of the Kagamine twins.
- Losing Your Head: The second game introduces Dees as nothing but a head, preventing anyone from forgetting that she isn't human.
- Ridiculously Human Robot
Syrma and other characters who debut in Mugen Souls Z
"I'm a god, just like you, Chou-Chou! Specifically, I'm the ultimate god!"
The main character of Mugen Souls Z
, Syrma is another Ultimate God from Virgo World who has just recently awoken from a long slumber in time to witness Chou-Chou's rampage.
"I'm Nao! The hero of the twelve worlds!"
A newly-minted Hero. While searching for treasures amidst ruins, she discovers Syrma, who she then takes under her wing as her protectorate.
- Adventurer Archaeologist
- BFS: Not as large as Syrma's, but hers still counts.
- The Caretaker: For the frequently spaced-out Syrma.
- Deadpan Snarker
- I Just Want to Be Badass: Her one life-defining purpose.
- Loving a Shadow: For awhile. She was instantly smitten with Soul, between the descriptions of him given managing to omit his bikini fetish while playing up his otherwise perfect heroic personality and her first encounter with him managing to avoid the fetish coming up as well. She rushes the group along to save him from Supra, but once they finally meet again and she learns the whole fight between Supra and Soul was over a bikini, her opinion drops dramatically, going so far as to stop addressing him as "Sir Soul" and simply call him "that guy".
- Only Sane Man: She does have her quirks, but most of the time she's squarely in this role.
"I'm not gonna hold back any longer. I'll kill you right here and now!"
A mysterious boy who often appears out of nowhere to try to kill Syrma, believing her to be a legitimate threat to the world.
"You look really worn out! Let me guess — you got your butt kicked."
The Ultimate God of Ebon (Capricorn) World. Already well-learned at a young age, she likes reading and teasing people, but is also a bit secretive.
"Ahaha! She-Show's all small and roly! Ahaha!"
The Ultimate God of Scarlet (Leo) World, who appears to be a feral, energetic little girl.
- Badass Family: She is effectively part of one with Shirogane and Tsukika. While Tsukika was initially jealous of the attention she was getting from Shirogane, and attempting to keep Shirogane to herself, the three eventually settle into a family like relationship, a fact that does not go unnoticed by the other characters.
- Cheerful Child: Whatever the time, place and occasion, she's always seen horsing around.
- Cute but Cacophonic: After she's imprisoned by the denizens of Scarlet World, the protagonists use her insanely loud cry to track her down.
- Expy: of Neptunia V's Peashy. Young adorable girls who are both hyper, always happy, and super strong despite their size.
- Overly Long Name: Her actual name is said to be one, and all she can remember are the first three letters of her name, thus "Reu".
- Third-Person Person
- Token Mini-Moe: Surpassing the Cocott sisters in this regard, being the smallest of the main cast (barring shrunken Chou-Chou).
- Wild Child: Complete with a Leo motif.
''"I am Bertram Demetrius Bloomfield. But you may call me Bertram."
The elderly Ultimate God of Silver (Libra) World, and pretty much the most mature of his fellow Ultimate Gods.
"Common courtesy demands I introduce myself... but I have no name to give evildoers like you!"
Ultimate God of Violet (Sagittarius) World who claims to being the "Ultimate Warrior".
"You shall die here. You and this man can die together!"
The Ultimate God of Amethyst (Pisces) World and a bloodthirsty mermaid.
- Blood Knight: Almost to the same level as Ace.
- Boobs of Steel: She's one of the bustiest girls in the series, and also one of the most physically active.
- Our Mermaids Are Different: She can turn her tail into human legs, and is pretty bloodthirsty.
- Tsundere: A violent Type A, in that she only shows her (shockingly) adorably cute deredere to people patient enough to bear with her bloodthirsty rhetoric.
"Uwaaah! S-sorry...! I was thinking about something else..."
A mysterious girl who is often the subject of Ace's verbal tirades.