open/close all folders
Known to the public as H&C Logistics Incorporated, it is a multinational company that operates primarily in the shipping industry. Run by Floyd Hekmatyar, he has two children named Kaspar and Koko. Unknown to the public (except for governments, criminals and "other groups"), HCLI operates in the arms trafficking business in providing weapons and needed equipment to its clients, depending on their needs. For a short time, they assisted in the transportation of people into the Balkans. The company operates on various continents from Africa to Europe to most of Asia.
- Band of Brothers: Ultimately, they're all incredibly loyal to one another and to their teammates; Koko calls the team a family as Jonah is inducted. Even the Mole prefers this company to the CIA's.
- A Lighter Shade Of Gray: Besides their professions, the protagonists (bar perhaps the Hekmatyars themselves) really lack villainous or even amoral traits. The ex-military bodyguards in particular are as professional in their job as they would be in the military, and off-duty they are all fairly nice, sociable people willing to spare time from their breaks to teach a child soldier. On duty, they're all noted to relish killing a bit too much, but actually prefer sparing their enemies (see Boss Dominic's crew or contrast with CCAT) and certainly try to avoid civilian casualties.
- Mega Corp.: Known to be this in the public sphere, especially since it has a PMC and an aerospace division. HCLI has launched 126 navigation/communications satellites. For comparison, the American military GPS network has only 24 satellites.
- Ambiguously Bi: She may reciprocate Valmet's feelings for her, speaking of which, she's not shy about feeling up Valmet in general, she also sounds interested when Dr. Miami tells her that Baburin is surprisingly well endowed. At the same time, she's an utter shotacon for Jonah.
- Benevolent Boss: While this is discussed with Lehm in regards to loyalty when Valmet departs for her personal mission, overall Koko plays this trope unerringly straight; her bodyguards all respect her beyond that of a mere employer (as remarked by Lutz as he tried to shake the guilt of potentially gunning down a child soldier for her sake in the future) and she outright calls Valmet in particular a "sister, teacher, and more". Most of them call her the "Little Lady" in the English translation.
- Berserk Button:
- Trying to pay her in drugs. It's one of few, if not only, times Koko actually kills someone personally.
- Also killing her team members will get you a B-52 Airstrike.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer
- Byronic Heroine: Fits all the common characteristics: Cunning and able to adapt; very attractive physically; has a lot of charisma, sophistication, and intelligence, as well as emotional sensitivity; cynical and jaded; mysterious Dark and Troubled Past; Disrespectful of rank and privilege (despite being very rich) and has a distaste for social institutions and norms (in this particular case, geopolitical ones); social isolation; is extremely passionate, with strong personal beliefs which conflict with the values of the status quo, and she views them as superior to others' beliefs; Emotionally conflicted and possibly bipolar; perceptive; world-weary; Mysterious, magnetic, and charismatic; rebellious; Self-critical and introspective; Sophisticated and educated; Struggling with integrity; Self-destructive (possibly); and is socially dominant (maybe sexually dominant but we never see her in a sexual relationship).
- Cassandra Truth: Her objective really is world peace. Or at least it is in her mind.
- Cat Smile: Koko's Cheshire Cat Grin occasionally morphs into this.
- Cheshire Cat Grin: Koko Hekmatyar's default facial expression, which is actually a sign that she'll still negotiate with you. When she loses the smile, you're screwed.
- The Chessmaster
- Cool Big Sis: To Jonah.
- Creepy Blue Eyes: On occasions complete with Creepy Shadowed Undereyes and a Slasher Smile.
- Cuddle Bug: Whenever she's around Jonah, Koko tends to hang off of him and just give him a little hug whenever she feels the urge. The same goes for Valmet (especially her big breasts), much to the former FRDF Major's delight.
- Dark Messiah: When she reveals the details of Jormungand her rant comes off as more along the lines of seeing herself as trying to save the world rather than god like.
- Drowning My Sorrows: She hits the bottle really hard for a while after Hex kills R.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: Koko when she was in Britain briefly.
- A God Am I: Subverted (or possibly zig-zagged). When Koko reveals the true extent of her machinations, a civilian researcher asks if she has a god complex. Koko responds by referring to a biblical event where God sent an angel to wipe out an army. She further states that God basically acts like a soldier and thus her plan makes her greater than God. In truth, while one may be apt to think that Koko desires to become a god, she has something more of a messianic complex, desiring to become some kind of twisted world savior. Either way, her megalomania is undeniable.
- Guile Heroine: This is how she operates in Africa and Europe.
- Heroic Albino: Koko, having bright-white hair and skin, but blue eyes, and being a arms dealer with her own private micro-army, qualifies for the Anti-Hero variant.
- Hime Cut
- Lady Drunk: Likes her liquor. A lot. Despite that, most of the time she's seen with some form of Brand X Cola. Ugo worries about it when she gets wine during a dinner with Chan, and in an omake chapter in the manga, this is poked at for fun.
- No Sense of Personal Space: She often glomps Jonah, fondles Valmet's impressive breasts (which Valmet enjoys very much) and once climbs into Schokolade's restroom stall.
- Omniglot: Koko can speak the major languages in Africa, Asia and Europe.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Slasher Smile: Occasionally her Cheshire Cat Grin morphs into this.
- Stepford Smiler: Koko smiles all the time, as a means of disguising her true feelings.
- Straw Nihilist: She thinks this world is so utterly lost that killing 700,000 people to achieve world peace is nothing in comparison to what's to come if the world continues like now.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Often seen drinking Coca Cola. Her reaction to a dinner invitation in episode 6 and reactions while eating in episode 7 suggests she also likes Chinese food but it's not brought up as often.
- Uncanny Family Resemblance: To her brother Kasper.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: She aims to achieve world peace by using the Jormungand system to control the entire world's logistics, starting with shooting down every aircraft currently in the sky, which would result in the deaths of nearly 700,000 people.
- White Hair, Black Heart
- Woman Child: Capable of being businesslike one moment... and then rolling back and forth on the table, crying childishly, before morphing back into business mode.
- Woman in White: Which, along with her near-total albinism, makes her one of the whitest character designs ever.
Jonah, aka Jonathan Mark/Mar
Deuteragonist, Jonah is a Child Soldier from West Asia recruited by Koko to join her team, which causes a certain unease in the team as many of Koko's bodyguards have been on the opposing sides of child soldiers. Hates guns and arms dealers, and ironically is working for an arms dealer. As time goes by, he's becoming something of a mascot/surrogate younger brother to Koko's team.
- Adorkable: Despite his stoic exterior he smiles and laughs at the little things in life like stuffed toys and going to to the beach for the first time (do remember that he was a Child Soldier in the Middle East, meaning that this was probably Jonah's first time at the beach.)
- Afraid of Needles: They reason why he wouldn't take the operation to have the bullet from his buttcheek removed. At least not until episode 21.. Lampshaded by the team.Everyone: What are you, a kid?! Oh wait, you are a kid!
- An Odd Place to Sleep: Sleeps curled up in a corner with a weapon close at hand.
- Badass Adorable: He once wiped out a team of adult soldiers all by himself, before being subdued by Chiquita. He's also cute enough for Koko and Chinatsu to consider him attractive.
- Book Dumb: When it comes to math, science, and other educational matters, Jonah is hopeless. It isn't really his fault, as being a Child Soldier meant he never had a chance to go to school. Of course, he's not particularly interested in getting an education either. Koko and her team are trying to home school him, though to their exasperation as he frequently finds ways to sneak out of the lessons.
- It's mostly the math stuff he has trouble with. He's actually pretty good with language and history; even gone as far to express a fondness for reading.
- Chick Magnet: He's a kid who doesn't think of girls "that" way (yet), but he already has them lining up. Koko is the most obvious, since she gropes and hangs all over him every chance she gets, going as far as to sneak into his bath, stark naked, and surprise him for more groping. Valmet swings the other way but is very maternally affectionate towards him. Especially when he helps her get revenge on her former unit's killer. This trope may have inadvertently saved his life as Chinatsu prevents her partner from firing on him despite having a clear shot, stating that it would be a shame to kill someone so cute.
- Child Soldier: Was employed in a mountain infantry unit before he deserted it.
- Clark Kent Outfit: He does like like a more or less normal kid his age, but has a surprisingly muscular build.
- Crying Wolf: See I Need to Go Iron My Dog.
- Dark and Troubled Past: One of the orphans he looked after was used to detect landmines by stepping on them. So he went on a rampage and turned against his masters by shooting everyone in the base.
- Dark-Skinned Blond: White-haired variation.
- Emotionless Boy: Very stoic much of the time, but this facade slips as early as the first episode, where he smiles and laughs when a bunny toy falls into the car after an explosion.
- Expy: For Raiden from Metal Gear. They're both white-haired, has very unclear ethnic background and fought as child soldiers in their young age.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: He's seen deflecting a rocket launcher shot with a grenade. A grenade!
- I Need to Go Iron My Dog: When he's having subjects in his "home"-schooling by Koko's crew he doesn't like (mostly anything to do with math), he's off to the loo. He used that excuse very often, now they don't believe him even if he has to go for real.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Jonah's a skilled guerrilla warrior, but he has a tendacy to employ what Lehm describes as "All-or-Nothing" tactics, such as charging head-on into enemy fire. Lehm is working on getting it out of him.
- Mathematician's Answer: Fittingly, this is his frequent response to math questions.Jonah: [That plane] has a lot of wheels.Valmet: 22 to be exact. So how many wheels would three planes have?Lehm: (Uh... why's he taking so long?)(Still no response from Jonah... until finally):Jonah: A lot.(Everyone Face Faults)
- Morality Pet: Koko recruited Jonah for this purpose. She has big plans and needs someone who is loyal but will keep her from becoming a monster, according to R.
- The Quiet One: A boy of few words.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: He's got red-eyes and is a damn good shot too.
- The Sneaky Guy: Jonah was a Mountain guerrilla before he began working for HCLI, so he's very good at hiding and using the terrain to his advantage. He's also pretty sneaky when it comes to dodging his home-schooling sessions (to the amusement/annoyance of the rest of the crew, who quickly learned that it's darn near impossible to locate Jonah if he doesn't want to be found).
- The Stoic: Almost always has a straight face on.
- Not So Stoic: He's the opposite of Koko; he keeps a stoic mask on around her, but can also laugh and be a kid, which is prominently seen early in Episode 9.
- The Watson: Jonah plays this role, allowing Koko to explain her paradigm.
- Weapon of Choice: His Browning Hi-Power and a FN-FNC battle rifle. He later upgrades to the Magpul Madsa in season 2.
Cold Sniper of the team. Prior to the start of the series, Lehm was married to Chiquita, the leader of Kasper's bodyguards.
- Battle Couple: Used to be part of one with Chiquita, way back when they were Floyd Hekmatyar's bodyguards.
- Cold Sniper: Lehm's primary role, though he's also a good marksman with pistol and assault rifle. Interestingly, he's cold when on the scope; when he's not sniping, he's a rather approachable person.
- Combat Pragmatist: Lehm's guiding principle. He doesn't believe in fighting on the enemy's terms.
- Majorly Awesome: Was formerly a Major in the US Army, before quitting to work for Floyd Hekmatyar.
- Old Soldier: Oldest member of Koko's bodyguards, and pretty much the leader figure among them.
- Perpetual Smiler: His default expression is a friendly, easygoing smile.
- Seen It All: A more mundane version, he's been with the company long enough to be able to confidently say, for example, that Koko shouldn't take her business to the air in Dragon Shooter Phase 1.
- Sergeant Rock: What his role is, more or less. (Despite having being a Captain in Delta.)
- Weapon of Choice: Remington M40 sniper rifle, a CAR-15 customized with a rifle scope and a HK MK 23 for a sidearm.
- Would Hit a Girl: As the Orchestra arc shows, Lehm has no problems with shooting anyone who's a threat.
- Yanks with Tanks: Was a former Delta Force operator, and saw action in both the First Gulf War and Somalia in the early 1990s, amongst other places.
Valmet, aka Major Sofia Velmer
- Amazonian Beauty: Valmet is very muscular, and quite tall, but she's also rather pretty.
- Bare Your Midriff: On occasions.
- Bodyguard Crush: On Koko.
- Boobs of Steel
- Boyish Short Hair: She gets a shorter haircut later.
- Butch Lesbian: Played With. She repeatedly declares her dedication to Koko in mind, body, and talent, gets a nosebleed when a panty-less Chinatsu flips past her or when Koko dives headfirst into her boobs, is very muscular, and gets a shorter haircut later to complete it. On the other hand, she can be quite stereotypically girly at times (usually involving Koko) and she has a very feminine face.
- Eyepatch of Power: How she looks like after the disastrous UN peacekeeping mission in Africa.
- Finns with Fearsome Forests: Formerly a Finnish Army officer.
- Generation Xerox: Valmet joined with the Finnish Army since her family has served in the military for many years.
- Green-Eyed Monster: She doesn't like it one bit, when her beloved Koko compliments other women about their looks (e.g. those of Amalia Trohovski, the Russian actress-turned-weapons-dealer) or glomps Jonah.
- Knife Nut: Carries a combat knife as her main weapon along with an M249 squad automatic weapon when she's in a support role.
- Majorly Awesome: Used to be a Major in the Finnish Army, before resigning her commission and following Koko.
- More Dakka: She provides the suppressing fire and support for the others with an M249 light machine gun.
Voiced by: Kazuyuki Okitsu (Drama CD), Hitoshi Yanai (Anime) (Japanese), Christopher Bevins (English)A former JGSDF soldier with the Ministry of Defense's black ops unit called SR Team. Tojo was originally recruited to HCLI by Kasper, before joining Koko's team. Serves as a communications and intel specialist.
- Asian and Nerdy: By far the most intellectual of the group. As he finished the mission that would ultimately result in him leaving the SR team, his (ex-)comrades mocked him for being nerdy and participating in the technical side of the military.
- Bad Ass Bookworm: Despite being on the technical side of things, he's no slouch when his former comrades pay a visit with automatic weapons.
- Death Faked for You: He was this after he was recruited to join the SR Unit.
R, aka Reonard Socchi
Voiced by: Tomoyuki Higuchi (Drama CD), Katsuyuki Konishi (Anime) (Japanese), Ian Sinclair (English)A former Italian Army Bersaglieri soldier and a veteran of the Bosnian Wars, R appears to be both a communications/intelligence specialist and shooter.R was the sixth member of Koko's (present) team recruited, following the death and subsequent replacement of Lehm and Wilee's comrade Echo.
- Becoming the Mask: Downplayed a bit. He was more informant than traitor to his employers, and both of them respect him at his funeral. However, when forced to choose between following a CIA directive (albeit one that quickly goes awry and stops being a directive shortly after his decisions) and revealing his allegiances, he chooses the former.
- The Casanova: Claims to have a woman in every port and makes a pass at Valmet during some downtime... Only for her to kick him hard enough to send him skipping across the water like a rock for touching her boobs "by accident."
- Eye Scream/Cross Counter: He and Hex shoot each other in the eye..
- The Mole: R has been working for a CIA agent codenamed Bookman since the Bosnian wars.
- Redemption Equals Death: Subverted, Koko forgave him and was willing to ignore his connections with Bookman, but he chose to cover her escape. If only he'd lasted for another minute...
Wilee, aka William Nelson
Voiced by: Kazuhisa Tanaka (Drama CD), Kenji Nomura (Anime) (Japanese), Akron Watson (English)A bespectacled former soldier with the US Army's 20th Engineer Brigade of the XVIII Airborne Corps and veteran of the First Gulf War, Wilee serves as a communications specialist and as a spotter for Lutz. He also specializes in demolition. Also, one of two team members on the FBI's blacklist, meaning he can't enter the United States (the other being Koko).Wilee is seen in flashbacks as the third member of Koko's team recruited, following Lehm and Chiquita (who has since swapped to Kasper's team).
- Badass Bookworm: One of the most educated and erudite of Koko's men, often seen to be reading a book during his downtime. Is about as badass as what you might expect from someone in Koko's employ.
- Black and Nerdy: Downplayed, and only by comparison with his teammates. He surprisingly joined the military after graduating with a degree in architecture, like his parents and grandparents before him.
- Beat Them at Their Own Game: He loves rewiring bombs in order to turn the tables on the bombers.
- Close-Call Haircut: A lasting example: A bullet grazing his head during the First Gulf War results in the hair there not growing back, so he ends up cutting the other side of his head to match.
- Mad Bomber: Gets a little too happy when he's around bombs (in season #2 episode #7 he is even called "explosives freak" by his army comrades during the flashback).
- Yanks with Tanks: Was an Airborne combat engineer during the First Gulf War, where Lehm shanghaied him for a Delta mission (which may have been something of a test). After the war, he passed Selection and joined Delta.
Friendly Sniper to Lehm's Cold Sniper.
- Butt Monkey: Of perhaps the most literal variety. Has been both shot and stabbed in the ass.
- Friendly Sniper: Well, compared to Lehm, anyhow.
- Wouldn't Hit a Girl: Hesitates to fire on Chinatsu and tries to disable her weapons; he's partially successful. He goes through a bit of angst on whether he did the right thing. Justified in that his whole paradigm as a police SWAT Team sniper was on taking out criminals and terrorists, not teenaged girls.Lutz Am I a failure 'cause I couldn't shoot a little girl? I was trained for sniping thugs who have their guns pointed at hostages or terrorists who got their finger on a bomb switch... Nobody ever trained me to shoot kids.
Voiced by: Yuki Ono (Drama CD), Kiyoshi Katsunuma (Anime) (Japanese), Cris George (English)Formerly a driver for a mafia group, Ugo serves as the resident Badass Driver. He's also quite attached to the cars he drives.
- Badass Driver: This is his role.
- Everyone Has Standards: The fact he was visibly upset at the idea of paying for a transaction with drugs is the only reason Koko lets him live when she has everyone else involved in the transaction killed.
- Gentle Giant: A really nice guy and he's also the largest member of the team.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: Uses his Desert Eagle on Boss Dominic while reversing at high speed in a car chase.
- Mugging the Monster: A member of Boss Dominic's crew tried to target him, believing he would be an easy kill. The second an opportunity occurs, Ugo sends the guy flying through a wall and immediately starts beating the stuffing out of him.
Voiced by: Hidenori Takahashi (Drama CD), Go Shinomiya (Anime) (Japanese), Patrick Seitz (English)Formerly a soldier with an Asian army (so far not stated), Mao was the Sole Survivor of an training accident that wiped out his artillery unit. Primarily serves as a shooter, though the Dragon Shooter arc proved he still knows his stuff. Mao is one of the longest-serving members of the team, and was seen as early as when Ugo was recruited.
- The Everyman: He's basically the closest thing to plain vanilla normal in Koko's crew. As he notes in Dragon Shooter, unlike Lehm he wasn't an elite soldier and just happened to have been recruited by Koko when she was in Asia at the time.
- Fatal Family Photo: Averted; not only does he survive after showing it to Jonah, he actually gets a brief moment to shine.
- Blood Knight: Cheerfully embraces the fight against the SR squad as he orders his men to kill them.
- Cheshire Cat Grin: Just like Koko.
- He admires an Urumi (curling blade) that was used for an assassination attempt against him moments earlier before a full scale attack by the SR Team.
- During the assassination attempt itself, he admits to Chiquita that he spaced out and for a moment was just smiling as before while Chiquita unloaded her pistol into the assassin.
- Perpetual Smiler
- Pet the Dog: Kasper both gives the impression of, and actually is, quite a bit more violent/creepy than his sister is. Still, like her, he is a good boss and upholds his promises.
- Uncanny Family Resemblance: With Koko.
- White Hair, Black Heart
Voiced by: Yumi Touma (Japanese), Clarine Harp (English)Kasper's right hand woman, and the leader of his team - who, in comparison to Koko's crew - appear more like a conventional special forces team. Prior to the start of the series, Chiquita used to be married to Lehm. And then they got a divorce. Multiple times.
- The Ace: This woman is good at her job. She has served under all three Hekmatyars, and in the present she's skilled enough to rush into a group of armed SR soldiers with only a knife — and slaughter them all while Kasper and his remaining bodyguards stand and wait for her to finish.
- Amazonian Beauty: Not as big as Valmet, but still quite muscular.
- Bad Ass: Even more dangerous than Valmet with a combat knife Chiquita is shockingly fast, efficient and kills with a smile on her face. She also put down the majority of the SR strike team by herself with just a SIG-Sauer and her knife.
- Battle Couple: Used to be part of one with Lehm, back when they were Floyd Hekmatyar's bodyguards. Possibly remained, albeit not officially married, when they continued service under Koko's team until Chiquita was moved to Kasper's.
- Boobs of Steel
- Cuteness Proximity: Developed this for Jonah. She was distraught and rather cross when her boss let him leave his security detail.
- Knife Nut: Damn good with a knife; she slaughters an SR fireteam in close quarters armed with only her combat knife.
- No Kill Like Overkill: Standard operating procedure for her as demonstrated when the SR fire team try to conduct a hit on her boss. She goes through many magazines in ensuring the hostiles she takes down are dead.
- Perpetual Smiler: In contrast to the Hekmatyar siblings, who smile in a relatively cordial or friendly manner all the time, Chiquita's smile's are almost constantly psychotic grins, even during mundane and harmless activities!
- The Nicknamer: When she first meets Jonah, Chiquita christens him "мишка" (Mishka; Russian for "bear cub," or "funny little bear") for his ferocity. She also refers to Lehm as "Old Man" from time to time.
Floyd HekmatyarLittle is known about him, except that he's known in the business world for heading HCLI. Floyd is also the father of Kasper and Koko, and Lehm and Chiquita were formerly his bodyguards before they left to lead the bodyguard teams for his children.
- The Chessmaster: Appears to have shades of this; the Dragon Shooter arc was orchestrated by him to curry favor with both Outspoken Doctors for Human Rights and the CIA, which succeeded quite well.
- The Ghost: While he's brought up in conversation a lot, Floyd himself never makes a proper appearance in the story.
Known to the public as Curry's Company Aerial Transport, it operates directly from Britain as a transportation company. It's also known to be an arms dealing company and is a rival of HCLI in the business, to the point that they won't mind getting on top of each other if it suits their interests.
Voiced by: Katsuhisa Houki (Japanese), Kent Williams (English)President and owner of CCAT, and a rival of sorts to HCLI.
- Brits with Battleships: Was a former RAF pilot, before starting his own business.
- Know When to Fold 'Em: Decides to bow out and retire, realising that Koko and Kaspar are launching a gamechanging gambit, and that he won't be able to keep up.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Connections!: Used his RAF and British Military connections to get his business started.
Voiced by: Manabu Sakamaki (Japanese), Jeremy Inman (English)The Only Sane Man (more or less) of the CCAT trio.
The Central Intelligence Agency is an external intelligence agency based out of Langley, Virginia in the United States of America. The division involved in the series is the National Clandestine Servicenote , of which George Black is the head of the European Desk.
Voiced by: Yuki Ono (Drama CD), Tooru Nara (Anime) (Japanese), Robert McCollum (English)A loudmouthed and uncouth CIA agent, who is chasing Koko so that he can take over her operation and divert her earnings to the CIA.
- Jerkass: Known to be one publicly.
- Named After Somebody Famous: In the Dubai arc he gives his name as Jerry Schatzberg, an award winning director who made a movie called Scarecrow.
- Overt Operative: Introduces himself as working for the CIA while in Dubai.
- Perpetual Smiler: His smile is a lot different from Koko's; it makes him look like a puffed-up self-important jerk who knows nothing, compared to Koko's knowing smile.
- Adorkable: A communications and electronics specialist, but very cute and bubbly.
- Big Eater: By implication at least. Often seen trying out the local cuisine in decent sized portions.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Is usually responsible for planting bugs and other methods of electronic surveillance.
- Punch Clock Hero: At least considering the Villain Protagonist's state. Schokolade does little more than what her boss explicitly tells her to do and otherwise spends as much time hanging out with the crew as with the CIA, giving information on Valmet's grudge mission for example.
- Verbal Tic: ends most of her sentences with "-ssu"
Bookman aka George Black
Voiced by: Tsutomu Isobe (Japanese), Mark Stoddard (English)Hex and R's superior and creator of Operation Undershaft in an effort to "tame" Koko. He's Chief of the National Clandestine Service's European Desk.
- Big Eater: You can see that he can eat a lot. Which makes his wife worry about his eating habits.
- The Chessmaster: Behaves like this; he's got many plans and assets reporting to him, and is running a plan called Operation Undershaft.
- Code Name: Has a lot of them. He's also known as Burattinaio, Adeeb and Saw, along with many others.
- Face–Heel Turn: George Black agreed with Koko's vision of forcing humanity off war through blocking air travel with her Jormungand system and even wrote an Engrish memorandum about it.
- Gamebreaking Injury: Suffered a severe back injury in a helicopter crash just after commissioning as a 2nd Lieutenant in the US Marine Corps; this killed his military career, and led to him eventually joining the CIA.
- Pet the Dog: Evacuates a family R had been staying with before they were killed by Serbs for helping the UN.
- Rank Up: After the timeskip, he becomes the CIA's Director of Clandestine Services.
- Semper Fi: Was a Marine for a few short months before his Gamebreaking Injury.
- Shout-Out: Maybe a Shout-Out to Jack Ryan, since both characters were Marines, both had an injury in-service that forced them to change careers, both went to the CIA and both were involved in some shady shenanigans (though, since he was the protagonist, Jack Ryan was of course portrayed in much, much more positive light than George Black).
- Arch-Enemy: Of Koko. Hex has gone after Koko and her group before and killed Echo, one of Koko's team. And then came very close to kidnapping Jonah and assasinating Koko, and she killed R.
- The Baroness
- Better to Die Than Be Killed: Shoots herself (it is not clearly shown though, if she manages to do it before the blast of the bombs hit engulf her) rather just before she's hit by the better part of a B-52's payload.
- The Dragon: Bookman's left hand woman in Operation Undershaft. R is the right hand.
- The Lost Lenore: Her fiance died in the 9/11 attacks when she was stationed in Afghanistan. Her later radical methods caused her to be discharged.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: She's been on this ever since 9/11.
- She Who Fights Monsters: Is on a vindictive and destructive streak against terrorists. Her brutal methods make her no different or perhaps even worse.
- The War on Terror: Had served in Afghanistan as a SAD operative hunting down Al-Qaeda terrorists. She was also serving in Eastern Europe leading a SAD team to hunt down Koko and kill her.
- Would Hurt a Child: She would do this to Jonah, especially since he's associated with Koko. She would do the same to Koko if Echo didn't try to stop her.
- X Meets Y: Fellow CIA agent Spin tells her she scares her colleagues because she's "The Gestapo meets Cheka in high heels"
Daxinghai is a Chinese multinational company that operates out of the African continent, with most of its dealing done on behalf of the People's Liberation Army. Most of its personnel are African and Chinese.
Voiced by: Takaya Hashi (Japanese), Jerry Russell (English)Formerly a Major in the People's Liberation Army Ground Force, Chan is running Daxinghai as a PLA-allied company to counter the influence of HCLI.
- Handicapped Badass: Chan's leg was injured when he stepped on a landmine, which caused him to lose the ability to run and force him to take a desk job.
- Pragmatic Villainy: Tells Karen not to kill Scarecrow's PMC bodyguard simply because it might cause problems.
- Retired Badass: Chan is the man responsible for wiping out a FRDF patrol on a UN peacekeeping mission in Africa, killing Valmet's subordinates and her career. When he first appears, he's retired from the PLA and is running Daxinghai.
- Younger Than He Looks: He appears to be elderly, but is actually in his early fifties; the shock of being unable to run anymore caused him to age rapidly.
Voiced by: Saori Kato (Japanese), Shelley Calene-Black (English)Chan's Sexy Secretary and Hypercompetent Sidekick, who can actually give Valmet a run for her money. She's formerly an officer in the PLA with the rank of 1st Lieutenant. Following the death of Chen Guoming, Karen is currently employed by Dr. Amada to serve as her official bodyguard and secretary alongside Mokoena.
- Break the Haughty: Courtesy of Valmet and Jonah. Over the course of the arc she features in, Valmet wounds her, slaughters much of the personnel of the Daxinghai organisation, assassinates her boss and when she tries to retaliate, Jonah empties his sidearm into her She then suffers a nervous breakdown and only recovers when Dr Amada offers her a job.
- Chinese with Chopper Support: Karen had previously served in the PLA Ground Force with the rank of 1st Lieutenant.
- Foil: To Valmet. She fights with a similar gunkata style and swears revenge for her defeat and the deaths of her subordinates. Valmet notes that she's exactly how she used to be ages ago.
- Irony: Considering that she was employed by the very woman she was assigned to kidnap for China.
- Redemption Equals Life: Courtesy of Dr Amada.
- Sexy Secretary: How she initially appears.
- Stocking Filler: Wears garter stockings.
- Undying Loyalty: To Chan. Even though she's treated like crap after she fails to secure Minami Amada and destroy Koko's team, she still respects Chan and is utterly loyal to him. When Valmet succeeds in killing Chan, she tries to avenge him, but is foiled thanks to Jonah.
- It then transfers to Dr Amada when she helps Karen get cleaned up
A known criminal/terrorist group that does assassinations, it was originally made up of 8 members. Over the years, most of its members were killed by engaging in shootouts with police forces. The group was destroyed after its last two members were killed by Koko's team in the United Arab Emirates.
- Large Ham
- Likes Older Women: Implied in the manga when he questions Chinatsu's lack of underwear. When she asks if she should seduce him he responds that he wouldn't be interested even if she were naked but she'd be a great MILF in a few years.
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family
- Cute But Psycho: Indeed.
- Dies Wide Open
- From Nobody to Nightmare: Chinatsu used to be a normal schoolgirl. Now she's an assassin with spider sense.
- Going Commando: Justified. She never wears panties when going into battle. On her first job, she'd gotten soaked and secretly taken them off and soon realized that her aim was better without them. The one time she's wearing panties onscreen, her spider sense is sufficiently muddled that she can't pick up Lehm.
- Nice Hat
- Stockholm Syndrome: Appears to have this towards Maestro.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: After Koko tried to get Chinatsu to join up with her, but was killed by Lehm after attempting to assassinate Koko for killing her master.
Boss Dominic's Crew
A trio of hitmen working out of a camper van somewhere in North Africa, hired to assassinate Koko and her crew. Hex put them up to it.
Voiced by: Keiji Fujiwara (Japanese), David Wald (English)The leader of the crew, and clearly the oldest member of them. Dominic wants to get this job over with, and is seriously considering retirement.
- Only Sane Man: He feels he's this towards his crew, who tend to enjoy their work a bit too much.
Voiced by: Yoshihiro Koyanagi (Japanese), Jeremy Inman (English)A large man, face perpetually hidded by a digital camoflage balaclava. Grégoire is the melee combatant of Boss Dominic's crew.
- Blood Knight: Really enjoys combat.
- Improbable Weapon User: Uses bolt cutters to behead targets.
- Real Men Cook: Is mentioned to be a good cook. Boss Dominic was thinking of opening a restaurant and having him cook for it.
Voiced by: Kana Asumi (Japanese), Lara Woodhull (English)A youngish girl who's the last member of Dominic's crew. Very fast and agile.
Minami "Miami" Amada
- Ambiguously Bi: On one hand, she is totally smitten by Jonah and would LOVE to add him to her team, on the other hand she would like her new bodyguard, Karen Low, to have big breasts like Valmet for her to fondle.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Highly respected Roboticist, but tends to act like a child at times.
Valmet: You think she spends all her time chasing after butterflies?Koko: Probably so. She does have an abnormal obsession with them. She's an officer in some worldwide butterfly group apparently.
- Also has an unhealthy obsession for butterflies. She is willing to hike across snow over mountain just to see a rare poisonous butterfly.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Has a tendency to blow off prior arrangements in favor of going looking for things like butterflies and seashells like they're the most important thing in the universe, if her assistant tries to keep her in line...Koko: I was ditched for shellfish?
- Humans Are Bastards: What she thinks of countries (and their militaries) that try to take advantage of her robotics research for military purposes.Minami: It doesn't bother me if people want to take my research and use it to make weapons to kill other people. That's just fine. I'm a lot more concerned about the butterfly's continued survival. They're the ones in danger. How many billions of humans are there in the world? Too many. We're overpopulated.
- Just Between You and Me: Apparently has something going on with Koko. Their plan is named Jormungand
- Meaningful Name: Minami means "South" in Japanese, which is significant since she's based in South Africa after she studied robotics.
- Woman Child: Like her friend Koko, she's got a habit of rolling back and forth on the ground crying when she's not getting her way.
Mokoena aka Moko
Voiced by: Takahiro Fujiwara (Japanese), Chris Rager (English)Minami's assistant. He tries to make sure she doesn't wander off to go after butterflies or other types of animals, but he ends up following her in the end. Before Karen was employed by Minami, he used to do bodyguard duties aside from being her assistant.
- Cloudcuckoolander's Minder: His main job to make sure Minami doesn't go wandering off.Mokoena: (After he finds out that Minami wants to get a butterfly and plans to ditch her meeting with Koko) I came by to make sure you were not serious [about going to the mountains]. But I was wrong.
- Gentle Giant: Mokoena's really a nice guy, even though he's capable of handling small arms.
- Jaw Drop: Moko's reaction when Minami stumbles into and recruits a dismayed Karen off the sidewalk.
- Sweat Drop: Gets into this due to his boss' unbelievable actions that he's forced to follow her.
Known somewhat "officially" as the Special Research Team of the Ministry of Defense, Defense Intelligence Headquarters, Joint Staff 2nd Division. The SR Team was Tojo's former workplace and is a black ops team of the DIH specializing in intelligence gathering and covert action. It was formed during the Vietnam War to provide intelligence support in places the Americans could not go publicly. Based out of Jakarta, Indonesia, SR uses the Ganville Trading Company as its front, and is engaged in a profitable (and illegal) side business of actual arms dealing in Southeast Asia, which sets them against Kaspar's HCLI Asia-Pacific division. One of their recent actions is with the Iranian nuclear program controversy, as SR provided the Iranians with needed material while conducting espionage in Iran at the same time.The entire unit was defeated in Jakarta and Tokyo thanks to Koko and Kaspar's efforts, which was done thanks to Col. Hinoki's orders to start a fight against them.
- Becoming the Mask: Due to a lack of funds, SR was forced to use their front company to conduct arms dealing to stay afloat and build contacts. By the time Hinoki came onboard, Ganville Trading Company is a highly successful trading company in its own right, with SR being financially independent of the Japanese government's black budget, to the government's chagrin.
- Death Faked for You: All SR operatives are officially listed as deceased.
- Elites Are More Glamorous: Given that they're a DIH black ops team.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: Totally don't understand Tojo at all.
- Those Who Fight Monsters: They're starting to show signs of this. And this came back to bite them in the butts when all SR Team operatives were killed.
Voiced by: Hidetoshi Nakamura (Japanese), Bill Jenkins (English)A Colonel in the JGSDF, and the 5th CO of SR. Formerly Tojo's mentor and the man who taught him all he knew (which is not the same as all Hinoki knows). Pulling the strings behind SR's actions. He's known to be married to a Thai woman, to protect his "cover".
- The Beard: His marriage to an unnamed Thai woman, which is all part of protecting his cover as a Japanese businessman. Except it turns out that they're Happily Married for real, and have a daughter.
- The Chessmaster: Has multiple plans for dealing with multiple situations. He orchestrated SR's downfall, letting them start a fight with HCLI that led to their annihilation, allowing him to retire.
- Genre Savvy: Realised that SR were getting more and more out of control, which is why he let them start a fight with HCLI.
- The Mentor: To Tojo.
Voiced by: Yuka Komatsu (Japanese), Leah Clark (English)An SR operative who appears to be Hinoki's pointman (well, woman) in Jakarta.