Character sheet for Cyberchase. Currently under construction and in need of a better organization scheme.
open/close all folders
Tropes applying to the entire Cybersquad
- Badass Bookworm: This applies to the whole group, but Inez in particular exhibits this.
- Color-Coded Characters: Jackie favors yellow, Inez favors pink or purples, and Matt favors blue or green and our 'boid' friend usually pale purples, darker purples and red.
- Freudian Trio
- My Friends... and Zoidberg: Three Earth kids...and Digit.
- The Power of Friendship
- Power Trio
- Putting On My Thinking Cap: Jackie paces, Matt plays with his yo-yo, Inez does headstands. Lampshaded whenever Digit mimics Jackie's pacing.
- The Smart Guy: Inez.
- True Companions
- Summon Everyman Hero
- Token Trio: Inez is Hispanic with a light tan skin color, and Jackie is black. Matt is the only 'typically' white person in the cast, with the rest of the characters being some kind of robot or cyborg.
- Two Girls and a Guy: And, surprisingly, little drama.
An 11-year-old Farm boy sucked into Cyberspace and recruited to help Motherboard. Carries a very handy red backpack with him at all times, is reasonably athletic, and loves solving mysteries. Also loves Star Wars, the color green, Redwall, and Will Smith.
- Bag of Holding: He has a useful red backpack that he takes with him everywhere. Seriously, he never takes that thing off!
- Berserk Button: Slider showing him up. Anytime Inez calls him 'Matthew'.
- Farm Boy
- Fiery Redhead: While admittedly Matt doesn't really have much of a temper (unless you're Inez), he is slightly more hot-headed than either of the girls.
- Friendly Enemy: To Slider
- Friend to All Living Things: According to the website, he owns a bearded dragon, an armadillo, two African water frogs, and a dog named Obi Wan Kadoggie, although he doesn't always fit the "nice" part of the description.
- Genius Ditz: While admittedly Matt isn't your traditional ditz, he is a bit less level-headed than his teammates and more likely to make decisions without thinking all the way through. Despite these traits, there is one area where Matt really shines: Greek Mythology. In fact, whenever that's involved, Inez and Jackie just shut up and watch him lecture.
- Hidden Depths: Hates Valentine's Day, but made a card for Jackie and Inez all the same. It doubles as a Crowning Moment of Heartwarming.
- Idiot Hero: While he's still very bright, Matt has a tendency to make rash decisions and mess around with stuff that might have been in the group's best interest to avoid. One episode showcases this tendency perfectly, with him making a potentially life-threatening jump across a steam-obscured pit without knowing just how large the pit actually is.
- Honor Before Reason
- Red-Headed Hero
- Token White: Take a good look kiddies. This is one of the few times you'll ever see a white male character in one of the lead roles on PBS.
- With Friends Like These...: To Slider and Inez.
Jackie is an 11-year-old girl who enjoys hanging out with her friends, and is possibly the hardest Earthlie to pin down in terms of character traits. She can be a little over-the-top with her emotions. She likes yellow, Destinys Child, Shrek, tofu burgers, and Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech.
- Black and Nerdy
- Brainy Brunette
- Catch Phrase: "Make room! I gotta pace."
- Comical Overreacting: Jackie is typically the first one to react to a problem, and the one to make the biggest deal out of it. Though she doesn't make mountains out of molehills most of the time, she's very dramatic, and her reactions are often played for laughs, like the example below.
- Comic Relief: Unlike Matt and Inez, who are mostly straight characters, Jackie usually tends to lean towards this, and can almost be as silly as Hacker and his flunkies depending on the episode. This was especially prominent in the show's pilot, in lieu of Digit, who didn't exist at the time.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: At times. In the pilot, very yes.
- Early Installment Weirdness: In the 1999 pilot, Jackie was considerably nuttier, and not as insightful.
- Exposed to the Elements: Her skirt; she rarely wears pants or tights. In an early episode taking place in an arctic environment, she wore a winter coat and her... typical blue skirt.
- The Lancer
- Large Ham: She's easily the most vocal member of the group.Jackie: Cyberspace is doomed, doomed I tell you, DOOOOO-HOO-HOO-HOO-HOO-HOO-HOO-OOMED!
- Leader Wannabe: She was like this in the show's pilot, as part of her more pronounced somewhat incompetent comic relief role before Digit was added to the cast.
- Magic Skirt: Eight seasons, and nothing, but it IS a kids' show
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Inez's blue.
- Sassy Black Woman: She has shades of this, but it's less prominent than some of her funnier personality traits.
- Thinking Out Loud: She tends to do this on occasion.
- Twofer Token Minority: African-American and female.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: She hates bugs.
9-year-old girl who loves learning and books. Has a huge vocabulary and is always asking questions about the world around her. Likes purple, popcorn, Laura Ingalls Wilder, and Marc Anthony.
- Berserk Button: Just don't call her Nezzie (this goes double for Matt) and don't be a bad sport.
- Brainy Brunette
- Catch Phrase: "This is not good. This is not good at all!"
- Also has "My sentiments exactly" when someone borrows her usual catchphrase
- Child Prodigy
- Geek: In general.
- Exposed to the Elements: Wears shorts, even to cybersites filled with snow.
- Friendly Rival: With Creech.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: She owns a cat named Gatito.
- Little Miss Snarker: She has her moments.
- The Napoleon: Do not call her short. Funnily enough she has no problem calling herself short.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue to Jackie's red.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness
- Shorter Means Smarter
- The Smart Guy
- Tsundere: A more assertive form of type B.
- Twofer Token Minority: Hispanic and female.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: She is not a fan of heights.
Your friendly neighborhood "cyboid" and unofficial Team Pet. He used to work for Hacker, but flew the coop upon realizing that Hacker wasn't exactly a great guy. A fan of the Dixie Chicks and "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" by Richard Bach.
- Acrophobic Bird
- Bag of Holding: In his little compartment, we can find anything from Widget to measuring tools.
- Chekhov's Skill: Digit can cook really well.
- The Chew Toy
- Cowardly Lion: In general, Digit is freaked out about everything, but always rushes in.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Fake Defector: Has pretended to go back to Hacker several times.
- Hidden Depths: Didge can speak Penguin.
- The Heart
- Ironic Fear: He does not like heights.
- Kid-Appeal Character
- The Lancer: To Matt, whenever the Cybersquad splits up.
- Mook-Face Turn
- Supreme Chef: To the point that he had a successful cook-book published.
- Team Pet: Widget
- Turned Against Their Masters: He was built by Hacker.
Pompous, dastardly, and power-hungry—the Big Bad of the series, until his in-series Villain Decay. At the moment, he is currently attempting to rescue his image. Like the color puce and Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Showing Hidden Depths, his favorite book is The Prince by Machiavelli.
- Bad Boss
- Big Bad: At least at first.
- Butt Monkey: In later episodes.
- Face-Heel Turn: Pre-series.
- Fashion-Victim Villain: During one episode, he tried to get Wicked to help him pick outfits after conquering Cyberspace. It didn't go well.
- Elvis Impersonator: When he attempted to conquer Happily Ever After.
- Insistent Terminology: "That's THE Hacker to you!"
- Lantern Jaw of Justice: ...Except he's evil.
- Large Ham
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: His name his (The) Hacker, and if that isn't enough he lives in a computer world.
- No Indoor Voice
- Smug Snake
- Spell My Name with a "The": The page quote.
- Surrounded by Idiots
- Terrible Trio: With Buzz and Delete.
- Turned Against Their Masters: Built by Dr. Marbles.
- Unholy Matrimony: With Wicked.
- Villain Decay: Lampshaded In-Universe.
One of Hacker's henchmen and the smarter of the two. Likes blue-green, donuts, and Home Alone. Aspires to open a donut shop one day, but every attempt has been foiled so far.Buzz's first voice actor, Len Carlson, died in 2006. He was replaced by Phil Williams. The episode "Ecohaven: CSE" is dedicated to Mr. Carlson.
- Blue Oni: To Delete's red.
- The Chew Toy: He becomes this in a few episodes.
- Cute Little Fangs
- Fat and Skinny: The fat to Delete's skinny.
- Harmless Villain
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Delete.
- Shorter Means Smarter: Smarter than Delete at any rate.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Donuts.
Another one of Hacker's henchmen. His favorite colors are both rust and salmon. Likes The Wizard of Oz and Chicken Little.Although the website does not mention it, he really likes bunnies.
- And Call Him George: Delete wants a bunny so he can "love him, and keep him, and call him George."
- Butt Monkey: To Hacker's schemes.
- The Chew Toy: HE's Been mangled, and crushed, and electrocuted, and blah blah blah blah blah!
- Cute Little Fangs
- The Ditz
- Fat and Skinny: He is the skinny to Buzz's fat.
- Harmless Villain
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Buzz.
- Lizard Folk: Hence the way his mouth looks like, he defitinitely resembles a crocodile. And before you can ask, yes, he has 2 teeth sticking out as well.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: Subverted. His name's Delete, he's villainous and he lives in a computer world... but he's a Harmless Villain who doesn't even try to be evil, and when he does, he fails miserably.
- Red Oni: To Buzz's blue.
- Villains Out Shopping: The Cybersquad has accused him of being up to no good even when he was just looking for Buzz.
Witch hailing from the cybersite of Happily Ever After. She's a bit obsessed with Hacker, to the point where she even faked being a princess to get to marry him.In the ending credits, she took Dr. Marbles' place a few seasons in.
- Affably Evil: She's actually treated the Cybersquad decently on occasions. In the later seasons, she's more interested in trying to get with Hacker than taking over Cyberspace.
- Clingy Jealous Girl
- Conspicuous Consumption: After she helps Hacker take over Cyberspace, she immediately takes money and starts spending it willy-nilly, leading to an episode where the Cybersquad learns the benefits of managing your money efficiently and not wasting it on things you don't need.
- Evil Redhead
- Fiery Redhead
- Fluffy Fashion Feathers: When she was pretending to be the Princess of Pompadouria, she picked out this for her wedding dress.
- Hot Witch: She's not ugly like a traditional witch. She's good-looking enough for Hacker to be attracted to her, and in her first episode, she even got a marriage proposal from the King of Happily Ever After. (Her answer: No.)
- Unholy Matrimony: With Hacker.
New villain introduced towards the very end of season 8. He was a huge fan of The Hacker back in the day, and aspired to be just like him.
The benevolent ruler of Cyberspace. Unfortunately, she's also pretty useless thanks to Hacker's virus. Her role in the series is mostly to give the kids their next assignment.
- Art Shift: Later seasons had her use 3D models instead of 2D.
- Badass Bookworm
- The Big Guy
- The Chick
- The Mentor
- The Pollyanna: Not quite as extreme though.
- Status Quo Is God: Every time the kids find the Encryptor Chip, it gets destroyed or sent away. In "The Snelfu Snafu", the kids are forced to destroy the slot for the chip, meaning she'll never fully recover from the virus.
- The Stoic
- Team Mom
Motherboard's tireless mechanic and creater of Hacker. Likes blue and TRON. His favorite novel is Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance… just take a guess at his favorite hobby.
A friend of the Cybersquad. His dad was once a friend and coworker of Hacker's, but went into hiding. In one of the Story Arcs, the Cybersquad helps him find his dad. He occasionally helps out the Earthlies and is popular with the fans.
- The Charmer
- Chick Magnet: Much to Matt's chagrin.
- Friendly Enemy: To Matt. It's more from Matt's end because Inez likes Slider a lot and Matt (supposedly) likes Inez (not that he'll admit it).
- Innocent Prodigy
- Sixth Ranger
- Totally Radical: He comes from Radopolis. Slider himself is less Totally Radical than most of the other citizens of Radopolis that we've seen.
- With Friends Like These...: Mostly to Matt.
Sam Vander RomJournalist seen around Cyberspace reporting on various doings. Quite the Deadpan Snarker.
- Blue Oni: To Erica's red
- Deadpan Snarker: So, so much
- Punny Name: Sam Vander Rom...CD-rom...
- With Friends Like These...: To Erica Ram
Erica RamAn associate of Sam Vander Rom's. She is also a journalist.
- Red Oni: to Sam's blue
CreechThe current ruler of the Cybersite Tikiville.
FluffPenguin who became one of the True Companions of the Cybersquad in the later seasons.
"For Real" segments