Big Brother 13 Houseguest Tropes
open/close all folders
The Veterans Alliance
- Badass Crew: The Veterans have either won Big Brother or have made it far in the game. Ironically, the vet who went the furthest is the one who placed the lowest in her original season.
- Failure Alliance: It started to crumble after Dick left. Especially in Week 2, where Rachel's went into a tantrum annoyed Jeff & Jordan, and Jeff accused Brenchel of saving Porsche just to go against them in the future. If it wasn't for Daniele's openly siding with the newbies in Week 3, they would have been in the opposing sides.
The Newbies Alliance
- Irony: The newbies who started going against them (The Regulators) all left pre jury, the newbies who team up with them first(Those who were not in the Regulators)all achieved deep jury.
- Epic Fail: They never did anything that changes the course of the game.
Born: October 16, 1984 (age at time of competition: 26)
Hometown: Las Vegas, Nevada
Occupation: Event Hostess
- Action Fashionista: Rachel loves clothing, makeup and fashion and is a strong competitor.
- Action Girl: Before she has a Villainous Breakdown. Then she manages to get back on her feet and have a total of 4 HOHs and 2 POVs
- All Women Love Shoes: Rachel loves her high heels.
- Alpha Bitch: She manages to tone it down this season, becoming more of a Lovable Alpha Bitch.
- Arch-Enemy: Daniele. The two seriously clashed in the game. They reconciled after the show.
- Attention Whore: Let's just call this trope "The Rachel".
- Badass Boast: Rachel is very loud and always calls out people.
- Badass Bystander: Rachel wasn't gunning for Daniele since she was aligned with her. However, after Rachel discovered that Daniele turned on her and the alliance and was the one responsible for evicting Brendon twice, Rachel ended up gunning for Daniele above everyone else in the game.
- Badass in Distress: Nominated in the game a lot, but she still managed to make it to the end and win.
- The Bad Girl Wins: Rachel wins the season by a 4-3 vote.
- The Baroness: Rachel is combo of the Sexpot and Rosa Klebb types.
- Battle Couple: With Brendon.
- Big Breast Pride: Rachel proudly flaunts her boobs.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: The Veteran trio between herself (Redhead), Daniele (Brunette) and Jordan (Blonde).
- Born Lucky: What an amazing turn of events you have...to get the most blatantly contrived bailout in Big Brother History ever.
- The Cake Is a Lie: Like Britney the previous season, the second and last Pandora's Box of the game caught Rachel in this. It showed her celebrity Tori Spelling, who she was a fan of. Only problem, Spelling was actually at the front door, and "Mr. Pectacular" Jessie was waiting in the box instead, with a bunch of merchandise with his face on it. Rachel had to deal with him while Spelling entered the front door and greeted the rest of the house with a clothes luxury challenge.
- Catch Phrase: "Nobody gets between me and my man!", though she rarely said this due to being engaged to Brendon. Jordon even quote it in her goodbye message to Dominique.
- Decided By One Vote: Rachel beat Porsche by a 4-3 vote, decided by Shelly.
- The Determinator: The most determined and persistent player in the game by far.
- Drama Queen: Oh so much, like having a meltdown behind a trashcan after losing the POV in week 2. She could be the Trope Codifier for competitive reality tv.
- Entitled Bastard: Sociopathically pushes her way through the game like Russell Hantz from Survivor does. She is very surprised when people can't stand her. Only won because of Shelly flipping a vote at the end and Jeff&Jordan voting for her on-basis of being a veteran.
- Equippable Ally: Part of the reason why she survived when facing the eviction vote against her fellow veterans.
- Reason: A challenge beast (in Porsche's case, she can't win the final HOH) , a safeguard (in Daniele's case, if the newbies decides to target her next), and usually beatable in the jury voting.
- Foil: To Daniele.
- Genius Bruiser: Has a degree in Chemistry.
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: Rachel loves her tequila.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Jordan. They become close later on in the game.
- Heel–Face Turn: From Season 12. She is much nicer this season and tones down her out of control behaviour.
- Honor Before Reason: Chose Porsche over Adam to sit with her in the Final 2, despite the jury clearly do not respect Adam's gameplay this season.
- Hypocrite: Cries non-stop when things don't go her way. When Kalia cries about everything going wrong...tells her to suck it up.
- Has Cassi evicted because she doesn't like a comment about Jordan that Cassi made. When she accuses Jordan of being The Load In a competition and Jeff starts yelling at her, She then asks. "Why's he so mad?"
- She also claims to have done more to get farther in the game than Porsche, who used a twist to get further. Rachel would have finished sixth or fourth if it hadn't been for the most blatantly-contrived-series of twists in the history of the game.
- Hysterical Woman: Rachel IS this trope. She is very dramatic and over the top.
- Informed Ability: She's allegedly good at the game. This time, she couldn't win without having to be saved by blatantly-contrived twists.
- In-Series Nickname: "VEGAS".
- Last of His Kind: Rachel was the last surviving veteran in the game. Bonus for her making it to the final two.
- Kick the Dog: Most of her goodbye messages, especially towards Daniele.
- This was Lampshaded in Season 14, where she was the punishment for Pandora's Box. It involved her giving advice to Ian on how to play the game. One of her tips was to have an amazing laugh, and then laughs for 30 seconds straight.
- My Greatest Second Chance: She managed to win the season by a 4-3 vote.
- Official Couple: With Brendon. On this season, they are engaged to be married.
- Pet the Dog: Being genuinely nice to Porsche and Jordan. The best moment was when Jordan was in an Unstoppable Rage, Rachel ran over to her, pulled her away and said, "Jordan! That's not you!"
- Protectorate: For Brendon. Rachel is very capable of standing up for herself when she has to, but sometimes she is vulnerable and needs Brendon to strand up for him.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: With Porsche.
- Spoiled Brat: Rachel acts bratty when she doesn't get her way.
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad: Part of the reason that she gets a sizable Hatedom? She's an Attention Whore. And she gets it.
- Took a Level in Badass: Rachel was even more competitive this season than she was on her original season (Big Brother 12).
- What Does He See in Her?: An Attention Whore who breaks down into Wangst at the drop of a hat. She constantly plays the game personally and emotionally breaks down every other day, needing Brendon to tell her it's going to be alright and calm her down. Despite this, she and Brendon insist that they are made for one another. What does Brendon see in her?
- Woman Child: Rachel shows very immature and childish behaviour.
Born: October 27, 1987 (age at time of competition: 23)
Hometown: Miami, Florida
Occupation: Cocktail Waitress
- Action Survivor: She starts off as a Non Action Girl, but later on, she starts to win competitions.
- The Apprentice: She was casted with a recommendation from Janelle Pierzina.
- Bare Your Midriff: Wore tops that revealed her stomach.
- Beta Bitch: To Daniele, who is the Alpha Bitch.
- Big Eater: Not as much as Kalia, but her eating habits caused her to gain the most weight of the season.
- The Bore: Porsche had little to no personality.
- Born Lucky: Porsche was the first houseguest to receive a Golden Key, guaranteeing her safety to the Top 10. On top of that, Porsche was never a huge target throughout the game.
- Brainless Beauty: Porsche is attractive but she doesn't seem to be the smartest, especially in quiz related competitions
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Averted. It's not that Porsche is really smart, it's that she has potential but she showed to be lazy and to be The Load.
- Co-Dragons: With Kalia for Daniele.
- Cool Loser: Despite having a bond to both sides, Porsche didn't really seem to fit in with any particular clique or group. She later bonded with Kalia and Daniele though.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Is she ever.
- Cute Bruiser: Has spades of this. Although not originally seen as a competitor, she later picks up her competitive game and starts to win competitions.
- Dandere: Porsche is very introverted and shy to a fault, so much that she comes off as highly emotionless.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Around Daniele, Rachel and Kalia, her icy and aloof facade melts away a bit and she lets a bit of her personality come through.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: Porsche didn't use the POV on Jeff during Double Eviction and she voted to evict him over Rachel.
- The Ditz: Comes off this way to most viewers. It doesn't help that during the last 2 Q&A HOHs, she failed badly.
- The Dragon: For Daniele, the Big Bad.
- Dragon Ascendant: After Daniele leaves, Porsche, along with Kalia, continues to do Daniele's dirty work. She even said: "It's what Daniele wants." in front of everybody when declining to use the veto in the Double Eviction.
- Dragon Their Feet: Daniele is evicted by Jeff's hand. What happens after? Porsche ends up winning POV and Kalia wins HOH and both of them avenge Daniele's eviction by evicting Jeff.
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: She literally gave the veterans an advantage in numbers in week one by flipping to their side before Adam or Shelly even could. She managed to play a game that was almost exactly like Dr. Will's...getting people to assume you're not a threat (in her case, taking advantage of the Golden Key that the veterans even offered her.) Aside from the Golden Key, she gets to the final two on her own merits, and is chewed out for being a "Floater" and taking advantage of twists to further her, which Rachel did.
- Dumb Blonde: Porsche comes off as ditzy and not the sharpest tool in the shed.
- Emotionless Girl: Porsche comes off as cold and doesn't show much emotion.
- Fanservice Pack: Porsche got progressively more attractive as the season went on.
- The Fashionista: Likes clothing and fashion, even if they are tacky.
- Friendly Rivalry: With Rachel. Enemies in Week 1, allies in Week 2, enemies again in Week 4 and allies again after Kalia (Porsche's only other ally) was evicted by Rachel.
- Genius Ditz: Porsche seems to lack logic and common sense.
- Girly Bruiser: Later, she starts showing shades of this as she starts to pick up her competitive gameplay.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Kalia, Daniele and Rachel.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: She opened the first of two Pandora's Boxes that season, which earned her and Kalia $5,000 each... but this was because they were paired up; the house was forced to play the "Dynamic Duo" twist from the beginning of the game for the week, which ultimately derailed the plan to evict either Rachel or Jordan (they paired up, and the rules of the twist allowed both of them to survive when they won the Veto, leaving the remaining pair of Shelley and Adam to face the block by default; Shelley was evicted as a result, and Rachel ended up winning the game, though Porsche DID come in second.)
- I Did What I Had to Do: Decided to not use the POV on Jeff when he was nominated during Double Eviction, even though Jeff had previously used the POV to save Porsche from the block in attempts to backdoor Daniele. She also voted out Jeff on top of it.
- Ice Queen: Icy, cold and aloof, much of this could be because Porsche is shy.
- Idiot Ball: Yes Porsche, take a girl who can win competitions to the final three over a girl who can't win competitions even if she's the only person in them. Great idea. Subverted, it is just that she knew that Jordan was much closer to Adam like she (Porsche) was much closer to Rachel, and Jordon will be threatening in the jury votes.
- Impossibly Tacky Clothes: Viewers felt that she had a bad fashion sense. Rachel even lampshaded it by saying that she only wear sweatpants in the Tori Spelling's luxury challenge.
- Kuudere: Porsche could be classified as Type I.
- The Load: Jordan and Jeff saw Porsche as useless and a floater.
- Ms. Fanservice: One of the more attractive female houseguests of the season.
- Non-Action Girl: Averted later on when she manages to win one HOH and two POV's.
- Number Two for Brains: Porsche is not the smartest or the brightest. Daniele was the strategist.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Appeared to be The Ditz but she is actually a lot more aware and savvy than she seems.
- Only in Florida: Originated from Florida.
- The Quiet One: Porsche doesn't say much unless she is spoken to. Jeff even comments on it.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Porsche is the Blue (aloof, icy, calm) to Kalia's Red (passionate, opinionated, hot headed).
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: With first Rachel and later on, Kalia.
- Thirteen Is Unlucky: Was the 13th houseguest to leave the house during the thirteenth season. On top of it, Porsche lost to Rachel by only one vote. Ouch.
- Those Two Girls: With Kalia and Rachel.
- Tsundere: She appears very icy, cold and aloof on the outside but depending on who she is interacting with, her warmer side will come out.
- Unfortunate Name: Named after a car.
- Villainous Friendship: Porsche is friends with Daniele.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Was almost completely absent from the house for six weeks...one of the worst victims of the Spotlight-Stealing Squad.
Born: August 7, 1971 (age at time of competition: 39)
Hometown: Hoboken, New Jersey
Occupation: Music Inventory Manager
- Ascended Fanboy: Adam is a superfan of Big Brother.
- Badass Beard: Until he shaves it off.
- Bald of Awesome: Adam has the least amount of hair next to Brendon and Keith.
- Bash Brothers: With Jeff.
- Big Brother Instinct: Towards Jeff.
- Big Eater: Adam loves his bacon.
- Big Fun: Adam is a light hearted and fun guy.
- The Big Guy: The most heavyset male houseguest of the season.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Legitimately puts up a good fight in a veto, wins a No-Holds-Barred Beatdown in the final four HOH.
- Fat Slob: Adam comes off as lazy at times.
- Informed Ability: he's evidently a big fan of the show. Yet he spends the entire season groveling to the "Veterans" who clearly have no intentions of taking him beyond the final 6.
- Large Ham: Adam's mannerisms are over the top.
- The Load: Seen as a weak competitor and a floater by the other houseguests.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: He might be the final blow for the newbies with him not vetoing Kalia or Porsche and later vote off Jordan (Is the final 5, so Rachel was forced to nominate Jordan), which angers Kalia and called him a grade A floater.
- No Indoor Voice: Adam sounds rather loud in his DR sessions.
- The One Guy: The only man in the final 6.
- Reality Show Genre Blindness: Yes Adam, align with unbreakable alliances and somehow expect to find yourself to the final two. And constantly choose set-in-stone alliances over alliances more likely to backstab each other when you're the most obvious final two pick. Great idea.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Because the editors were so fixated on the Spotlight-Stealing Squad..he made third and got even less screentime than Jordan.
Born: November 21, 1986 (age at time of competition: 24)
Hometown: Matthews, North Carolina
- Always Someone Better: Jordan believed that all of the other veterans were much better competitors than she was.
- Badass Adorable: Jordan is feisty and adorable at the same time. Not only did she win Big Brother 11 but she also made it to Final 4 this season.
- Bare Your Midriff: Wore clothing that revealed her stomach.
- Battle Couple: With Jeff.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Jordan is a nice girl for the most part but don't push her buttons in any way, she will defend herself, like she did with Shelly this season.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: Jordan is the Blonde, Daniele is the Brunette and Rachel is the Redhead.
- Born Lucky: An amazing turn of events saves her life.
- Break the Cutie: After Jeff is unexpectedly evicted during double eviction, Jordan completely emotionally breaks down. Poor Jordan.
- The Chick: Of her alliance and of the season.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Jordan appears ditzy and unintelligent, but she won her original season and finished in fourth place during this season. So, Jordan had to be doing something right, even if she wasn't the best competitor or the smartest.
- Designated Girl Fight: Has one with Shelly after Jordan finds out Shelly turned her back on Jeff and voted him out.
- The Ditz: Jordan is very well aware of this trope.
- Dumb Blonde: She's a few cards short of a full deck.
- Dumb Is Good: Jordan is nice but she is a weak strategist and not all that smart.
- Entitled Bitch: Definitely showed shades of this during the season. Jordan felt entitled to be in the house over people like Kalia, Lawon and Porsche and often criticized them for being floaters and being useless in the game. Which, you know, makes Jordan sort of a hypocrite, since she is frequently carried by her allies in the game and could be considered rather useless on a competitive basis.
- Et Tu, Brute?: Jordan DID NOT take it well when she found out Shelly betrayed her and Jeff.
- Everyone Loves Blondes: Everyone loves Jordan, including the houseguests and America. Jordan is seen as America's Sweetheart.
- The Fool: Jordan was not very smart strategically and got far in the game due to being carried by the Veterans.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Despite being a Nice Girl for the most part, Jordan had a jealous and catty streak.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Jordan Took a Level in Jerkass but she's still a nice girl for the most part.
- The Heart: Of the Veterans alliance and of the season.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Rachel, especially later on in the game.
- Hypocrite: Jordan seems to have little respect for floaters or players not overtly aggressive in competitions despite her being carried in the game by Jeff the entire way (and after he left, Rachel). This is additionally bad because
- Insane Troll Logic: How she managed to win an early luxury challenge.
- Kawaiiko: Displays some child like and innocent qualities about her.
- The Load: Being carried by the veterans, then by Jeff, and then by Rachel. And the worst of all, she might even win the show if Porsche chose her over Rachel in the Final 4 to Final 3.
- Morality Pet: Is one for both Jeff and Rachel.
- Ms. Fanservice: Jordan's adorableness and her pretty girl next door looks are appealing to the male audience.
- Non Action Girl: In comparison to the other veterans, primarily Brendon and Rachel, Jordan is not a strong competitor. Even Jeff is significantly more competitive than she is.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: With Rachel, especially later on in the game.
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad: Jordan, along with Jeff, receives the most screen time.
- Sweet Home Alabama: Jordan is from North Carolina.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Aside from when Shelly voted out Jeff (when she lied to her face, mind you), Jordan was probably the only one of the veterans to not do this.
- Unstoppable Rage: We've seen Jordan get provoked before, but Shelly really really pressed her Berserk Button. So much that Rachel had to separate them.
Born: November 16, 1980 (age at time of competition: 30)
Hometown: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Action Girl: Kalia managed to win two HOH's and took out a strong competitor in Jeff. She was also competent in endurance competitions.
- Badass Boast: Kalia has no problem calling people out when she has to. She has called out Brendon and Jeff of all people.
- Berserk Button: Bullying behavior. DO NOT try to intimidate Kalia. She will call you out.
- Beta Bitch: Could be seen as this to Daniele, the Alpha Bitch.
- The Big Girl: The largest female houseguest of the season.
- Big Eater: Kalia eats more than any of the other houseguests with the exception of Adam.
- Black and Nerdy: Shows spades of this. Kalia is a writer after all.
- Black Best Friend: To Daniele and Porsche.
- Born Unlucky: Didn't have much luck in the game.
- Co-Dragons: With Porsche for Daniele.
- The Determinator: Kalia was one of the most determined and persistent players of the newbies.
- The Dragon: To Daniele, the Big Bad.
- Dragon Ascendant: Once Daniele leaves, Kalia continues to do Daniele's dirty work.
- Dragon Their Feet: Daniele is evicted and Kalia, along with Porsche, avenges Daniele's eviction by nominating Jeff and Rachel and evicting Jeff by her own hand.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Daniele and Porsche.
- Idiot Ball: Getting rid of Lawon? Great idea...even if he did ask.
- Out of Focus: Did you know they cast eight people? You wouldn't either.
- Real Women Have Curves: Kalia is one of the larger set females of the season.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: With Daniele.
- Salt and Pepper: With Daniele and Porsche.
- Spirited Young Lady: Kalia is very feisty, enthusiastic, passionate and opinionated.
- Twofer Token Minority: Though oddly enough, three black people were cast this season, she was the only black woman. However, she did do pretty well for herself.
- Villainous Friendship: Kalia was close friends and allies with Daniele.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Despite finishing fifth.
- Worthy Opponent: When Porsche won HoH and it looked like that Jordan and Rachel were about to be evicted one after the other, they both thought that Kalia would be a deserving winner. Then a Pandora's Box was opened...
Born: (age at time of competition: 41)
Hometown: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Occupation: Outdoor Industry Executive
- Arch-Enemy: Rachel. Shelly has hated her since the beginning, so it's saying something when she voted for Rachel in the end.
- Ascended Fangirl: Like Adam, she is a superfan of Big Brother.
- The Big Easy: Shelly is from Louisiana.
- Born Unlucky: Quite an amazing turn of luck that sent her out, which was the duo twist that was unleashed after Porsche opened Pandora's Box. And then she was nominated alongside Adam, who was allied to Jordan.
- Cat Fight: With Jordan after Shelly voted out Jeff.
- The Chessmaster: The most strategic player in the game by far.
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: Shelly turned on her allies, Jeff and Jordan when she voted out Jeff and voted to keep Daniele against Jeff's wishes.
- Dirty Coward: Backstabbed both Jeff and Jordan by voting to keep Daniele in the house against Jeff's wishes. On top of it, when Jeff is nominated at Double Eviction, Shelly ends up voting him out.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Jeff's fans sent death threats to her house after she voted him out of the game.
- Executive Meddling: Was the victim of this through Pandora's Box.
- Four Is Death: Shelly is the 4th member of the jury. What makes it worst is that what ultimately gets Shelly evicted is the Duo Twist which was unleashed when Porsche opened Pandora's Box.
- Happily Married: She is the only houseguest of the season who is married.
- Karma Houdini: One could assume that Shelly was evicted after Jeff due to the Duos Twist unleashed by Pandora's Box, which ultimately saved both Rachel and Jordan, could be due to karma when she backstabbed Jeff and Jordan and voted to evict Jeff.
- The Lad-ette: Shelly shoots guns, hunts and smokes like a chimney.
- Lady Looks Like a Dude: Sometimes people thought that Shelly was masculine looking.
- Mama Bear: Shelly was very protective of Jeff and Jordan.
- Out of Focus: What do you know about Shelly on the show? Betraying Jeff, and her thick accent.
- Playing Both Sides: Had deals with both the newbies and the veterans.
- Sixth Ranger Traitor: Shelly ended up betraying both Jeff and Jordan.
- The Strategist: Shelly is always strategizing.
- Team Mom: Shelly is the sole mother of the season.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Although backstabbing Jeff and Jordan was pretty ruthless on Shelly's part, she did feel very bad about it. However, Shelly acknowledged that it was nothing personal and that she only did it for her game.
- Wild Card: Shelly was very unpredictable and she was a huge question mark in the game.
- And it ended up with her being the deciding vote when voting for the winner.
- Younger Than They Look: She smokes and goes hunting a lot.
Born: June 5, 1978 (age at time of competition: 33)
Hometown: Norridge, Illinois
Occupation: Advertising Salesman
- Always Save the Girl: In regards to Jordan.
- Arch-Enemy: Daniele. Jeff used to be an ally to Daniele until Daniele planned to back door Jeff.
- Asshole Victim: Got taken out of the game by someone who he deemed as a "floater" (Kalia).
- Badass Boast: Jeff calls out people with confidence.
- Bash Brothers: With Brendon and Adam.
- Battle Couple: With Jordan.
- Berserk Button: Attacking Jordan and backstabbing him or betraying him is a sure way to get Jeff angry and fired up.
- Big Brother Instinct: Towards Brendon.
- Born Lucky: Somehow manages to get drawn for every veto competition.
- The Bully: Daniele accused Jeff as well as Brendon that they were going around the house bullying and strong arming everyone to do what they wanted.
- Can't Take Criticism: Jeff can easily call out people on their flaws and mistakes but when someone calls him out on his flaws and mistakes, he doesn't take it well.
- The Champion: For Jordan. Jeff's number one priority seems to be protecting Jordan in the game.
- The Charmer: Jeff is very charismatic and charming, which he uses to get Adam & Shelly to work with him.
- Cluster F-Bomb: The F word is a regular word in Jeff's vocabulary.
- The Determinator: Jeff NEVER gives up, especially if it is something that he really wants.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Jeff discovered that Daniele had turned on him and stabbed him in the back. So what did Jeff end up doing to get back at Daniele for her betrayal? He backdoored her and got her evicted.
- The Ditz: He's aware that he's not too bright, even joking with Jordan that they really should not be allowed to breed.
- Entitled Bastard: Shows traces of this on the feeds.
- Fatal Flaw: Jeff's biggest downfall was that he didn't win the veto competition that he could have saved himself, and got Rachel (or Jordan) out instead. In this competition, houseguests had to find two yellow clown shoes in a ball pit, and Jeff accidentally threw his out of the pit. * The Hero: Seen as this for The Veterans alliance.
- The Hero Dies: Jeff is evicted during Double Eviction by a 3-2 vote.
- Heroic Spirit: Has it more than anyone. Jeff was the one who tried to get the Veterans to keep going and never give up when they were at their worst point in the game.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Brendon.
- Hope Bringer: Got the Veterans to believe in themselves and to not give up after Dick unexpectedly left the game.
- Horrible Judge of Character: Jeff has a habit of trusting the wrong people and having not so good instincts regarding the other houseguests.
- In-Series Nickname: "BIG JEFF".
- Innocent Bigot: It seems as though Jeff doesn't really realize that some of the things and comments that he says won't bother specific groups of people.
- It's Personal: The reason why Jeff targeted and backdoored Daniele.
- Hypocrite: Told Porsche she was a floater and did nothing while taking advantage of twists. He forgot that his side offered Porsche a golden key, she gave them numbers early part of the game, won competitions when she needed them... and was also blind about the blatant Executive Meddling Rachel took advantage of.
- Jerkass: Jeff can be a jerk and definitely has a not so nice, pleasant side to him.
- Jerk Jock: Jeff is highly athletic and competitive yet at times, he can be too brash and cocky about it.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Despite being a jerk sometimes, he does have a good heart, genuinely loves and cares for Jordan and he does have good intentions.
- Karma Houdini: Made an assload of Unfortunate Implications towards gay people (especially to Harry Potter, accusing Kalia of only supporting the GLBT alliance to get publicity on the show). He also constantly badmouthed his fellow players (such as Daniele, Brendon, Rachel and Shelly) behind their backs. For the most part, he got away with it.
- Knight In Shining Armour: Seen as this for Jordan.
- Lucky Seven: Subverted. Jeff was evicted during Double Eviction and finished in 7th place.
- Magnetic Hero: Jeff (along with Jordan) managed to rally the majority of the newbies (such as Shelly and Adam) behind him. He was also liked by his fellow Veterans as well (with the exception of Daniele, who turned on him).
- Mr. Fanservice: Jeff is very popular with the female Big Brother viewers.
- My Greatest Second Chance: Subverted. Jeff finishes in 7th place. During his original season, Jeff finished in 5th place.
- Noble Bigot: Jeff prides himself on being a stand up guy with integrity, loyalty and honesty but he has no problem with making insensitive remarks about others, including making sexist and homophobic comments.
- Noodle Incident: His constant badmouthing of the newbies (And sometimes Brendon and Rachel) and homophobic spiel never made the highlights; despite the latter causing a controversy.
- Politically Incorrect Hero: Jeff made some very homophobic comments. Some of Jeff's language and attitude can come off slightly sexist and misogynistic.
- Reality Show Genre Blindness: Assumes floaters do "nothing" to get in the game. Surely you think he would have paid attention seeing as someone who he and Rachel would have called a "floater" almost won the first season he played on, or his girlfriend Jordan, who won despite being almost inactive in her game
- Red Baron: "BIG JEFF".
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Jeff curses a lot.
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad: Jeff, along with Brendon, Rachel, Jordan and Daniele, receive the most screen time.
- Took a Level in Badass: Jeff was even more competitive this season than on his original season (Big Brother 11).
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Jeff was much nicer during Big Brother 11. In this season, he is meaner and is more bullying and intimidating in his behaviour.
- You Keep Using That Word: Jun, Alison, and Dr. Will are facepalming at his use of the word "floater".
Born: August 20th, 1986 (age at time of competition: 24)
Hometown: Huntington Beach, California
Occupation: College Student
- Action Girl: Daniele is one of the strongest female competitors in Big Brother history. It is a sad thing that she never won a veto this season.
- Action Fashionista: Very fashionable, but also the strongest female competitors in Big Brother history.
- Affably Evil: Eventually became this. She would come off as polite and nice to her alliance, but was secretly plotting their demise behind their back, primarily Jeff.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: Daniele came off as icy and aloof at times, even when she was blonde. Her dying her hair black makes her fit this trope even more.
- Alpha Bitch: Eventually became this after turning on the Veterans alliance.
- Anti-Villain: Type I.
- Arch-Enemy: Jeff. The two used to be allies, but Daniele turned on Jeff due to finding him her biggest threat in the game.
- Rachel. After the split, the two never got along or saw eye to eye, and Rachel ended up leaving a mean goodbye message to her when she was evicted. Though they were now on good terms after the sow.
- Badass Adorable: Daniele may be small, but she is one of the strongest female competitors in Big Brother history.
- Badass Boast: Shows spades of this but definitely not as much as her father. Daniele has called out Brendon and Jeff of all people.
- Badass Family: Her father is Big Brother 8 winner, Evel Dick Donato.
- Backstabbing the Alpha Bitch: Daniele turned on Rachel, became enemies with her and the rest of the Veterans alliance.
- Battle Couple: Wanted to be this with Dominic. Unfortunately, it didn't happen as Dominic was evicted early.
- Big Bad: Daniele was seen as "the villain" of the season because she backstabbed her alliance.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: The Veteran trio between herself (Brunette), Rachel (Redhead) and Jordan (Blonde).
- Catch Phrase: "SHOCKER!"
- The Chessmaster: Daniele is very manipulative and strategic. She rallied the newbies (Dominic, Lawon, Kalia, Porsche, and eventually Shelly) to go against the Veterans alliance.
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: Daniele has no problem with backstabbing people, primarily her own allies. Just because she's bored in floating.
- Dark Action Girl: Went from an Action Girl in Big Brother 8 to this in Big Brother 13. Also, she went from blonde to brunette.
- The Dark Chick: Could easily be seen as "the villain" of the season.
- Deadpan Snarker: One of the most sarcastic and witty houseguests of the season.
- Death Glare: This is Daniele's signature. She normally gives this towards those she doesn't like, in particular Rachel and Jeff.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Daniele loses her icy demeanor around Dominic. He was her weak spot.
- Disc One Final Boss: Was finally targeted and taken out by Jeff after Daniele's alliance spent most of the season winning HOHs trying to backdoor Jeff.
- Emotionless Girl: Daniele didn't show a lot of emotion during this season, the total opposite for her first season, where she cried a lot.
- Fallen Hero: Daniele turned on her own alliance and became a mild-version villain.
- Fallen Princess: Daniele was in the best position in the game in the beginning but after openly planning to backdoor Jeff and turning on the Veteran's alliance, she became a huge target and was eventually backdoored by her former ally, Jeff.
- Glass Cannon: After she turn on the veterans. While initially held power for three straight weeks, one HOH win from the veterans, and then she's out.
- Heartbroken Badass: Was absolutely saddened when Dominic was evicted due to the fact that she developed a bond with him. After Dominic was evicted, Daniele went out of her way to avenge Dominic's eviction by targeting Brenchel and evicting Brendon twice.
- The Leader: Daniele became the leader of the newbies after she turned on the vets.
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: Daniele was bitchy but she was also very likeable and charming at times, especially in her interactions with Dominic.
- Manipulative Bitch: She definitely had her moments.
- Only Sane Woman: Wants to get out of the Veterans' alliance asap.
- Romance on the Set: With Dominic, which leads them to becoming married a year later.
- The Smart Girl: Daniele is one of the strongest strategic players in the game.
- The Snark Knight: Daniele is extremely sarcastic that she is almost biting.
- Spirited Competitor: In this season, she won 2 HOH's and ran 2 other HOH's as well (one while she was evicted).
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad: Not nearly as bad as Brendon and Rachel or Jeff and Jordan. She arguably gets a normal amount of screentime. It's just that more than half the cast (aka the newbies) is virtually non-existent.
- The Starscream: Daniele initially sided with the rest of the veterans, but she was constantly snarking at them in DR confessionals, bored of being a "floater" and eventually got so frustrated with their idiosyncrasies that she turned on them, effectively becoming leader of the newbies.
- Another reason why she sided when the newbies was that she became the fifth wheel of the alliance due to Dick's leaving, and due to the other pairs being couples, she had no way to break the alliance between them.
- Took a Level in Badass: When not overshadowed and overruled by her dad, Daniele has shown that she has guts and is not afraid to make a big move or go against the majority. She is the only one in the entire season who was willing to make a big move and stand up to the rest of the veterans. Inverted in her ability to win POV, where she won none compared to 5 last season.
- Worthy Opponent: The reason why Jeff and the other veterans saw her as a huge threat in the game.
Born: July 2, 1980 (age at time of competition: 31)
Hometown: Riverside, California
Occupation: PH.D Student
- The Ace: Won multiple POV competitions during this season.
- Alpha Bitch: A male version. In fact, he could be considered the male version of Rachel, considering how bossy and competitive he is.
- Ambiguously Brown: Is Hispanic (Mexican-American descent).
- Apologises a Lot: Has a tendency to say sorry a lot.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: Definitely very arrogant, cocky and competitive.
- Badass Boast: He brags how strong of a competitor is and that he will use it to his advantage.
- Badass Bookworm: Brendon is intelligent and has a PH.D.
- Bald of Awesome: Compared to Big Brother 12, when Brendon actually had some hair.
- Bash Brothers: With Jeff.
- Bastard Boyfriend: Brendon doesn't always treat Rachel nicely. It was especially evident during his original season that Brendon had a very controlling nature.
- Berserk Button: DO NOT attack Rachel under any circumstances.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Brendon is generally a nice guy, but do not mess with him.
- The Bully: At least Daniele seems to think this way of him.
- Can't Take Criticism: Hates when people call him out on his behaviour.
- The Champion: For Rachel. Everything that Brendon does in the game is for Rachel's benefit.
- Competition Freak: Wins multiple competitions.
- Deadpan Snarker: Can be witty and humorous at times.
- Desperately Craves Affection: Brendon seems very clingy towards Rachel and he wants constant PDA.
- Drunk with Power: Whenever Brendon receives power, he lets it get to his head and he ends up treating people like crap.
- Genius Bruiser: Brendon is intelligent, is a PhD student and he is highly athletic.
- Emotional Bruiser: Brendon is rather emotional and sensitive despite being a big guy.
- Entitled Bastard: Brendon thought that he and the other veterans deserved to be there more than the floaters or the newbies.
- Expy: Comparable to James Rhine from Big Brother 6 and Big Brother 7, mostly due to him winning multiple POV competitions.
- Extreme Doormat: Seems to be a bit of one for Rachel since there is nothing he wouldn't do for her,, even if Rachel does treat him like crap.
- The First Of His Kind: Brendon is the first member of the jury and also, the first Veteran in the jury.
- Honor Before Reason: Brendon has consistently put Rachel before himself in the game. Brendon also believes in loyalty.
- Knight in Sour Armour: For Rachel.
- Jerkass: Sometimes displays intimidating and bullying behaviour, both Big Brother 12 and during this season.
- Jerk Jock: Very much so in Big Brother 12, but sort of subverted this season. He's not as douchey as he was in his first season.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Despite being a jerk and displaying bullying behaviour, he does genuinely love Rachel and cared about his alliance (Jeff, Jordan, and Daniele).
- The Last Dance: The week that Brendon and Rachel were nominated alongside each other, Brendon won POV and used it on Rachel instead of himself. They also participated in a fake wedding together. This move that Brendon made may have been the root cause for Rachel getting to the end with the least eviction votes and winning in the end.
- Love Hungry: Seems to want constant affection from Rachel.
- Love Martyr: Rachel can treat Brendon like crap and yet, Brendon will still do anything for Rachel.
- Morality Pet: Is one for Rachel.
- Papa Wolf: Is extremely protective of Rachel.
- Perma-Stubble: Always had a 5 o'clock shadow.
- Reality Show Genre Blindness: Telling Daniele that "if one of us [him or Rachel] gets to the end, we'll win." This is the exact opposite kind of thinking you want to encourage, especially when you're trying to convince people NOT to nominate you.
- The Smart Guy: Very smart and intelligent.
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad: Brendon receives just as much screen time as Rachel, Jeff and Jordan.
- Took a Level in Badass: Brendon Took a Level in Jerkass, nut he also became much more competitive during this season in comparison to his original season.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Brendon was a jerk during Big Brother 12 but he displayed more bullying behaviour during this season.
- What Does She See in Him?: He constantly pushes Rachel around, sometimes even outright snapping at her (as seen on The Amazing Race). Heck, he even cheated on her over Skype, has a bit of a temper on him and sometimes takes it out on Rachel. Despite this, Rachel insists that the two are made for each other.
- What, Exactly, Is His Job?: He is a PhD student, one with a very cushy program if he's able to take off three months for Big Brother and another off for The Amazing Race. Potentially justifiable about starting up.
- Well, he claimed that he once worked as a teacher, stripper, lawyer, loan officer, and a swim coach in the live feeds.
- Worthy Opponent: Daniele saw Brendon as the biggest physical threat in the game, hence why she evicted him twice.
- You Keep Using That Word: A "Floater" is someone who does not align with anyone - not "Anyone who is not aligned with me and Rachel/does not win competitions".
Born: December 5, 1972 (age at time of competition: 39)
Hometown: Inglewood, California
Occupation: Legal File Clerk
- Awesome McCool Name: His name is very... interesting.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Lawon needed to constantly be moving and he was very restless.
- Camp Gay: Lawon could be a cross between this and Straight Gay.
- Cool Shades: Wears sunglasses a lot.
- Deadpan Snarker: Lawon is very witty, probably one of the funniest houseguests of the season.
- Expressive Hair: Lawon's hair is unusual.
- Expy: Lawon is compared to Marcellas Reynolds from Big Brother 3 and Big Brother 7 mostly because he is black and gay.
- The Fool: Lawon volunteered to go on the block....and ended up evicted.
- Four Is Death: Excluding Dick leaving, Lawon is the 4th person evicted. On top of it, Lawon loses the twist competition to Brendon, which would have given Lawon a chance to come back in the game.
- The Funny Guy: See Plucky Comic Relief. It could be safe to say that Lawon was the comic relief of the season.
- Fun Personified: Lawon is the comic relief and can never be taken seriously.
- Gay Best Friend: To Kalia, Dominic and Daniele.
- Hollywood California: Lawon is originally from California.
- Keet: Lawon is very upbeat and hyper.
- Kid-Appeal Character: Lawon comes off as a kid himself.
- Large Ham: Lawon is very expressive.
- The Load: Lawon was seen as a floater by the Veterans.
- Motor Mouth: Once Lawon gets going, he can't stop.
- Non-Action Guy: Lawon was not competitive at all.
- No Indoor Voice: Lawon sounded very loud in his DR sessions.
- Older Than They Look: Lawon looks much younger than his actual age and many houseguests have commented on it.
- Out of Focus: Not much focus on Lawon on the shows, like the rest of the newbies.
- Plucky Comic Relief: Lawon is very funny, especially in his DR sessions.
- Sassy Black Man: Lawon is very sassy and sarcastic.
- Too Dumb to Live: Lawon asked Kalia to nominate him, because he was depending on a special twist to bring him back in the game shall he be evicted. Turns out that not only was he evicted, but he lost the twist to a strong competitor in Brendon.
- Twofer Token Minority: Lawon is both black and the sole gay houseguest of the season.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Did you know he was even on the show until week five?
- Wrong Genre Savvy: Misunderstood the twist and asked to be voted out, because he assumed he'd re-enter the house with "special powers" (might be Coup de Tat, Diamond Power of Veto, or something else).
Born: April 17, 1986 (age at time of competition: 25)
Hometown: San Mateo, California
Occupation: College Student/Model
- Adorkable: Dominic is intelligent and dorky.
- Affectionate Nickname: Daniele gave Dominic the nickname "PT".
- Always Save the Girl: In regards to Daniele and Cassi.
- Ambiguously Brown: Dominic is "Italipino", which is half Italian, half Filipino.
- Asian and Nerdy: Intelligent and quirky, Dominic definitely has spades of this.
- Badass Bookworm: Dominic is very brainy and smart.
- Bash Brothers: With Keith, his fellow Regulator member.
- Battle Couple: Wanted to be this with Daniele. Unfortunately, this did not happen.
- Bishounen: Dominic has a model and has pretty boy looks.
- Born Unlucky: Dominic looked like he was someone who would go far in the game. Unfortunately, everyone that he was in an alliance with (Keith and Cassi) were evicted. His alliance and bond with Daniele was cut short when the Veterans discovered Daniele's plan to backdoor Jeff. And worst of all, his partner is Adam, someone who pledged to side with the Veterans.
- Celebrity Resemblance: Dominic has a strong resemblance to Bruno Mars.
- The Charmer: Dominic is very charming and endearing.
- Chick Magnet: All the females in the house liked Dominic, including Daniele, Jordan, Rachel, Kalia, and Porsche.
- Cool Shades: Wore sunglasses from time to time.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Dominic looks like a goofy, dorky prankster, but he was actually the ringleader for the Regulators. Not to mention that he was aligned with Daniele, the most dangerous player in the game and he was also a rather strong competitor, which posed an obvious threat to the Veterans alliance.
- The Cutie: Dominic is super endearing and loveable.
- Deadpan Snarker: Has a very sharp wit, when he knew that he's going to be evicted, his eviction speech proclaims that the newbies are spineless jellyfish.
- Distracted by the Sexy: In regards to Daniele. Dominic's game got messed up solely because of his bond with Daniele.
- Expy: Dominic could be comparable to Haydon Moss from Big Brother 12. Unfortunately, he didn't get anywhere near as far as Hayden did in the game.
- The Face: Of The Regulators.
- Four Is Death: Counting Dick leaving, Dominic is the fourth evicted houseguest.
- Guile Hero: Dominic was very strategic when he wanted to be.
- Happily Married: eventually married Daniele.
- Hollywood California: Originally hails from California.
- In-Series Nickname: Dom.
- Keet: Dominic is upbeat and hyper.
- Kid-Appeal Character: Dominic looks like a kid himself.
- Large Ham: Primarily during his DR sessions.
- The Leader: Of The Regulators.
- Magnetic Hero: Dominic managed to rally the newbies.
- Muscles Are Meaningless: Dominic was slim and lacked muscle mass. He was skinny in comparison to Brendon and Jeff.
- Mr. Fanservice: He's a model. And boy does it show!
- Nice Guy: One of the nicest houseguests by far.
- Odd Friendship: With Daniele, people presume their relationship is just a showmance.
- Older Than They Look: Dominic looks like a teenager and not someone in their mid 20's.
- Opposites Attract: His relationship with Daniele.
- Plucky Comic Relief: Dominic is very funny, especially in his DR sessions.
- The Pollyanna: Dominic is very optimistic and positive.
- Pretty Boy: He is a model after all.
- The Smart Guy: Dominic is intelligent and wants to be a doctor.
Born: July 5th, 1985 (age at time of competition: 26)
Hometown: Nashville, Tennessee
- All Women Love Shoes: She's a model after all.
- Bare Your Midriff: Cassi wears clothing that reveals her midriff.
- Berserk Button: Rachel. Despite rooting for Rachel in Season 12, Rachel got on Cassi's nerves.
- Birds of a Feather: With Jordan. Both are nice, sweet Southern girls.
- Break the Cutie: Had a very hard time being nominated next to Shelly, her closest friend and duo partner. It didn't help that Rachel and Brendon constantly targeted her.
- Catch Phrase: Cassi constantly used the word "shenanigans".
- Character Tics: Cassi plays with her hair a lot.
- The Chick: Of the Regulators and the newbies.
- The Cutie: Cassi is very loveable and endearing.
- Deadpan Snarker: Cassi has her really sarcastic and witty moments.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Rachel doesn't like a comment she makes about Jordan. So she throws her out.
- Dude Magnet: All of the male houseguests thought Cassi was very attractive and beautiful.
- Emotionless Girl: Cassi wasn't overly emotional and didn't show too much emotion while she was in the house.
- Everything Is Big in Texas: Cassi is the tallest female houseguest and also hails from Texas.
- The Fashionista: Cassi loves fashion and clothing.
- Good Is Not Nice: Cassi is the Nice Girl but do not provoke her or piss her off. She will become rather feisty. She has displayed her feisty side in arguments with Rachel and Brendon.
- Graceful Loser: Cassi took her eviction very well, despite being picked on by Rachel and Brendon. She even hugged Brendon and Rachel on the way out.
- Ms. Fanservice: She's a model and boy does it show!
- Nice Girl: Cassi is one of the nicest female houseguests.
- Noodle Incident: But it wasn't actually shown what Cassi said about Jordan that annoyed Rachel so much.
- Platonic Life Partners: Seemed to be this to Dominic, her closest ally in the game.
- The Quiet One: Rather unusual for a model.
- Shrinking Violet: Cassi is quite shy and introverted.
- Southern Belle: Cassi originally comes from Texas.
- Statuesque Stunner: This comes with being a model.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Did you know she was on the show?
Born: (age at time of competition: 32)
Hometown: Bolingbrook, Illinois
Occupation: Human Resources Manager
- Anything That Moves: Keith constantly hit on all of the female houseguests, including Daniele.
- Bald of Awesome: Had the least amount of hair along with Brendon and Adam.
- Bash Brothers: With Dominic, his fellow Regulator member.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Keith is outgoing, cocky and brash.
- Casanova Wannabe: Keith thought that he had all of the ladies liking him. He even said that the newbie females were "Keith's Angels".
- Deadpan Snarker: Keith is very sarcastic and witty.
- Fearless Fool: Threw the POV competition that would have guaranteed his safety thinking that he was safe and not going to be evicted.
- The Fool: Keith was nominated and threw the POV competition that would have ensured his safety, thinking that Porsche would be the one evicted instead of him, probably because he have his alliance. Turns out that he ended up being blindsided and evicted instead.
- Graceful Loser: Keith was blindsided but regardless, he seemed to have taken his blindside well.
- Leader Wannabe: Keith thought he was running the Regulators alliance but the brains of the operation was actually Dominic.
- Reality Show Genre Blindness: Basically, he brings too much unnecessary attention to himself in the first week, causing people to not trust him and likely contributing to Shelly and Kalia voting against him.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: The first evicted houseguest of the season. What's worse, is that when he had a chance to come back into the game, he only received 1% of the votes compared to everyone else, who at least had 28% of the votes.
- Where Da White Women At?: Keith seemed to have a preference for white women, in particular blonde women. Keith even admitted that he preferred Daniele as a blonde and he was instantly attracted to Porsche.
Evel Dick Donato
Born: June 24th, 1963 (age at time of competition: 48)
Hometown: Los Angeles, California
Occupation: Website CEO
- Abusive Parents: Considering that Daniele and Vincent (his son) go years without talking to him, it could be implied that Dick is not that great of a parent.
- Action Dad: Was a parent on this season.
- Alliterative Name: Dick's first and last name begin with D.
- Anti-Villain: Type III. Dick often calls out people on their stupidity and their hypocrisy. Especially in the finale where he calls out Daniele on her rashness in turning against the Veterans.
- Awesome McCool Name: Come on, Evel Dick is a pretty cool name.
- Badass Boast: Can call people out like no other.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Uses the F word like it's his everyday vocabulary.
- Cool Old Guy: Dick is the oldest houseguest of the season.
- Deadpan Snarker: Dick is actually very funny, witty and humorous.
- The Determinator: Dick is one of the persistent players.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Despite his behaviour and being a huge Jerkass, it is clear that he still loves his daughter regardless of how rocky their relationship is.
- Hates Everyone Equally: Especially during his season. His only weak spot was his daughter.
- Hollywood California: Originally from California.
- Hot-Blooded: Dick has a temper.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Despite being a jerk, Dick calls people out on their stupidity and hypocrisy and most of the time, he is astonishingly right.
- Knight Templar Parent: Dick is very protective of Daniele.
- Multi Coloured Hair: Dick has red streaks in his hair.
- Non-Gameplay Elimination: Dick left the game for personal reasons (it's actually because of HIV, but he revealed this in 2014, 3 years after this season aired).
- Only Known By Their Nick Name: "Evel Dick".
- Politically Incorrect Villain: Dick makes sexist and homophobic remarks.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Dick swears a lot.
- The Snark Knight: Dick is the most sarcastic houseguest in Big Brother history.
- Tattooed Crook: Dick has tattoos a over his body.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: His abrupt departure (which was revealed to be because of HIV three years later) left his daughter to abandon the other veterans, something that might not have happened had he stayed.