The Neighborhood is a 2018 Comedy series about a white guy, Dave (Max Greenfield), who moves along with his wife Gemma (Beth Behrs) and elementary-school aged son Grover (Hank Greenspan) into a neighborhood populated with mostly black people. Calvin Butler (Cedric the Entertainer), his next door neighbor finds him annoying, and tries to avoid him at all costs. Calvin's wife Tina (Tichina Arnold) on the other hand wants to get along with them and is nice to them. A lot of the episodes revolve around Dave trying to be friendly with Calvin.
The show premiered on October 1st, 2018, on CBS.
The Neighborhood contains examples of
- Actor Allusion: Marty's full name is "Martin Lawrence Butler", in reference Martin Lawrence, with whom Tichina Arnold starred with in Martin and is good friends with.
- Badass Pacifist: According to Logan, Dave's friend from Michigan, Dave is such an effective mediator that he was once able to get feuding warlords to make peace and become friends just by talking to them.
- Bad "Bad Acting": Tina and Dave in the commercial for Calvin's auto shop. Tina overplays her part while Dave adds ridiculous motivations for his character.
- Because I Said So: Calvin says this to Grover every time he refuses to do something in "Welcome to the Anniversary."
- Beware the Nice Ones: Dave is annoyingly nice, but when pushed over the edge or attacked, can put the fear of God into someone. Justified, due to his military training, where he'd have learned hand-to-hand combat.
- Bill... Bill... Junk... Bill...: Calvin looking through his mail in "Welcome to the Standoff".Calvin: Junk. Junk. Save the Children.... Junk!
- Black and Nerdy: Marty is an engineer who works at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory.
- Black Sitcom: Zig-Zagged. The Butlers are of African-American heritage, the setting is predominantly black, and many stories tackle social issues from a black perspective, but the Johnsons, a white family, get equal exposure and the growing friendship between the two families is explored.
- The Bro Code: Calvin and Dave each have a code, but the differences between the two codes cause conflict despite the two men having the best of intentions.
- Dumb Jock: Malcolm is very good at baseball, but not very booksmart.
- Fast-Forward Gag: Used at the end of one episode when Calvin sees a snake in the hood of his car and runs away really fast, complete with dust cloud effect.
- Full-Name Ultimatum: Tina addresses Marty as "Martin Lawrence Butler" when she's annoyed with him.
- Hidden Depths: Dave is revealed to be an Army reservist who's served in the Middle East.
- I Call It "Vera": Tina names her wigs, based on the persona she takes on when she wears them.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: Every episode is named "Welcome to the X" with X being something related to the episode.
- Incredibly Lame Fun: Dave enjoys house painting and takes great pride in his abilities. Gemma, meanwhile, finds watching Dave paint to be a turn-on (and credits it with Grover's conception).
- Intergenerational Friendship: Grover forms good friendships with Malcolm and Marty, who are both of whom are old enough to be his father, as well as Tina and, eventually, Calvin.
- Martial Pacifist: Dave, when he tries to have Grover apologize for beating up a bully, gets attacked by the billy's father. Dave subsequently kicks his ass.
- The Pollyanna: Dave refuses to let anything, least of all Calvin's constant put-downs, drag down his mood.
- Only Sane Man: Subverted, Calvin usually thinks he is this, but comes to realize that he is overreacting in the end.
- Unnecessary Roughness: When Grover signs up for Calvin's basketball team, he doesn't do very well playing, so instead Calvin has him knock down the other players. Reality Ensues when he does it during the actual game and is disqualified for personal fouls.
- Women Are Wiser: Tina and Gemma are shown to be much more level-headed than their husbands.