Back to Recap Page.
On the island, Ivos men fire on Slade and Shados hideout, but they remain unharmed. The group from the ship finds the skeleton room, but Ivo is displeased that the hosen is missing. Slade and Shado ambush them, leading Oliver to grab Sara and run off with his friends. Shado has the hosen and on the back finds coordinates to a Japanese submarine containing something to save the human race.
When Diggle passes out, Felicity finds that there is vertigo in his blood without him taking it and that the Count escaped from prison in the Glades earthquake. Donner also shows signs of infection in the middle of Theas time on the stand during Moiras trial. The Count takes Donner captive and hacks into the citys news feed to boast about his doings. Felicity tracks his location to an abandoned city building. Arrow arrives, fights, and escapes with Donner.
DA Kate Spencer makes Laurel lead council. Laurel discovers Donners trump card and confronts Moira about it. Despite initially not wanting to testify, Moira takes the stand and reveals she once cheated on Robert with Malcolm. With Diggles help, Felicity tracks down the roaming flu shot van responsible for covertly spreading vertigo. Shes taken hostage by the Count. Although Moiras verdict should come shortly, Oliver confronts the Count, who figured out his identity. When the Count moves to inject Felicity, Oliver shoots him, sending him out the Queen Consolidated window. Felicity is fine, and Diggle gets an antidote.
Sebastian Blood arranged for the Count to take on the Arrow. Blood is informed of a development: Brother Cyrus is the only one to have survived the testing and become stronger. Moiras verdict is not guilty to the shock of everyone, even her children. On her way home, Moiras driver takes her to an abandoned lot where a surprisingly-alive Malcolm Merlyn mentions that he helped with her acquittal and hes Theas father.
Tropes Applying to This Episode
- Agony of the Feet: An extreme example. Slade machine guns one of the Amazo's crew in the feet to put him out of the game.
- Batman Grabs a Gun: Despite his Thou Shalt Not Kill vow, Oliver still fatally shoots Count Vertigo in order to save Felicity.
- Car Cushion: When the Count dies, he lands on and breaks the top of a taxi far below.
- Continuity Nod: Barton Mathis's escape from prison was done by The Count.
- Death by Secret Identity: Count Vertigo is killed by Oliver shortly after figuring out his identity.
- Disney Villain Death: Oliver puts three arrows in the Count's chest, which knock him back through a broken window and down a couple dozen floors. Possibly subverted, as the arrows may have killed him before he hit the ground.
- Hollywood Law: The entire court sequence. From the DA being kidnapped, to Laurel (who's a known friend of the Queens) being appointed prosecutor to the fact that Moira would even be on trial (as opposed to pleading guilty and providing information about a mysterious 5-year conspiracy group).
- Jury and Witness Tampering: Merlyn "persuades" the jury to find Moira not guilty.
- Killed Off for Real: Count Vertigo and the Amazo's captain.
- The Man Behind the Man: A minor example, as it only affects this episode, but it turns out that Brother Blood helped the Count set up his new operation, in exchange for a promise to kill the Arrow.
- Mythology Gag:
- The burns Slade suffered from the missile attack a few episodes ago have burned half his face, making it look like his Deathstroke mask.
- The member of Brother Blood's cult that survives the injection is named Cyrus Gold a.k.a. Solomon Grundy.
- The fictional nation of Markovia is mentioned again.
- Kate Spencer a.k.a. Manhunter appears again, discussing Moira's trial.
- Malcolm's claim that in Nanda Parbat "death is an illusion" works as a reference to the origin of the DC hero Deadman as well as to Ra's al Ghul's Lazarus Pits.
- Ship Tease: When Felicity feels bad for making Oliver choose to break his Thou Shalt Not Kill rule to save her, he simply tells her that as the Count was going to hurt her, there was no choice.
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: Oliver nocks and fires three arrows in a row into Count Vertigo when he threatens to inject Felicity with Vertigo, rather than any kind of Multi Shot. Justified by his Tranquil Fury.
- *Twang* Hello: Merlyn introduces himself to Moria when he kills the driver who brought her to him at the end of the episode with a shot arrow.
- Villainous Rescue: Of a sorts. It turns out that Malcolm coerced the jury into finding Moira not guilty.
- Wham Episode: Malcolm Merlyn is alive and Thea is his daughter.
- Wham Line: The last one of the episode.Malcolm Merlyn: Imagine my joy at learning that Thea is my daughter.
- Wham Shot: Merlyn's arrow. Merlyn himself showing that he is alive.
- You Are in Command Now: Ivo to the Amazo first mate after killing the captain.
- You Have Failed Me: Ivo kills the Amazo's captain for failing to deal with Oliver and his friends.