They formed in 2009 under the name Avalanche, but were forced to change the name due to a copyright issue. Shortly after, they released a demo called Leave Everything Behind, with Olof doing the basswork as Bassist Johan Andreassen joined after the recording. Formed by Jake E and Olof Mörck), the project began taking shape when singers Elize Ryd and Andreas Solvestrom signed on, as did drummer Morten Løwe Sørensen.
Jake E left the band in 2017 and subsequently formed a new group, CyHra.
- Olof Mörck - guitars, keyboards (2008-present), bass (2008-2009)
- Elize Ryd - female clean vocals (2008-present)
- Morten Løwe Sørensen - drums (2008-present)
- Johan Andreassen - bass (2009-present)
- Henrik Englund Wilhelmsson - harsh vocals (2013-present)
- Nils Molin - male clean vocals (2017-present)
- Jake E - male clean vocals (2008-2017)
- Andreas Solveström - harsh vocals (2008-2013), rhythm guitar in "Burn With Me" video
- Amaranthe (2011)
- The Nexus (2013)
- MASSIVE ADDICTIVE (2014)
- MAXIMALISM (2016)
This Band provides the examples of each tropes:
- Attention Whore: The narrator of "Drop Dead Cynical".
- I need attention, feed on my addiction
I want the action, satisfaction
- Cyberpunk: Most of The Nexus; naturally, considering that its theme is technological transhumanism. "Trinity" and "Digital World" on MASSIVE ADDICTIVE also have shades of this.
- Costume Porn: Do a Google Image Search for Elize Ryd. Pick any picture. Literally. Any picture.
- Five-Man Band:
- "I Am" Song: "Invincible". It doubles as a particularly fierce "I Am Great!" Song, sounding more like a superhero's "World of Cardboard" Speech than "Roar".
- Jade-Colored Glasses: "Drop Dead Cynical".
- Lighter and Softer: Than most standard Metalcore acts.
- Male Band, Female Singer
- Melodic Death Metal
- The Men in Black: The video for "Hunger" features several members of the band being abducted and imprisoned by black-suited government agents.
- Metal Scream: Everything Henrik sings is this.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: 5 on their ballads, 7/8 otherwise.
- Morality Ballad: "Burn With Me" seems to be one, with the subject to never treat people wrong, since it might be their or your last day.
- Ms. Fanservice: Elize.
- My God, What Have I Done?: In the music video for "Burn With Me," Jake went insane from the sight of Elize dying in a car wreck, more so since he deserted her after an argument.
- Neoclassical Punk Zydeco Rockabilly: Or rather, electro-dance symphonic death metal.
- Power Metal
- Self-Titled Album: Their debut.
- Shout-Out: "Trinity" opens with a distorted male voice saying, "Resistance is futile".
- Signature Style: Has been described as "a healthy dose of pop fused with a heavily metalcore-inspired melodic death metal sound".
- Silly Love Songs: "Amaranthine" and "Limitless".
- Soprano and Gravel: Elize and Henrik, and Nils and Henrik, to a lesser degree.
- Special Guest: Elize herself during a Nightwish concert along with Alissa White-Gluz when Anette Olzon was sick. She also does vocals on Timo Tolkki's Avalon's The Land Of New Hope. She is also currently a live member for Kamelot.
- Transhuman: This is what a sizable chunk (if not all) of the album 'The Nexus' is about, particularly transhumanism of the Cyborg variety, most prominently in 'Mechanical Illusion', 'Electroheart' and of course 'Transhuman'.
- Unflinching Walk: Book Ends the video for "Hunger", with the band walking away from an exploding building.