It also explores the main duo's relationships with several side characters, such as Haruka Kiyan, a member of the school's track team who feels hurt by Akira's cold, avoidant behavior; and Chihiro Kujou, Kondo's old college buddy and writing partner who has became a successful author in the years since they grew apart.
The manga is notable for how tastefully it handles a subject which could easily come off as creepy or exploitative. It received a 2016 anime adaptation which is available for streaming on Amazon Prime.
- Age-Gap Romance: Akira expressed a romantic attraction toward Kondo, who is over twice her age.
- Amicable Exes: Kondo mentioned that he and his former wife chat about their son Yuuto over the phone.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: While despairing over her injury, Akira tucked into Garden to avoid the rain. Kondo gave her some coffee and showed her one of his party tricks, starting her fascination with him.
- Bookworm: Kondo is an avid reader.
- Broken Ace:
- Akira lost her only passion in life— she was a successful track runner— after hurting her ankle.
- Kondo was a motivated writer who gradually sacrificed his dreams for family, only to see that crumble.
- Burger Fool: Garden doesn't sell fast food, but it's very casual and not a prestigious place to work.
- Compensated Dating: Discussed; Kondo puts off Akira's advances by saying that people will assume that he's paying for her company if they date. She doesn't care.
- Could Have Been A Contender: Kondo worked on novels for years, and whether or not he was right to move on is an ongoing question in his life. Akira is developing a similar attitude towards running.
- Intergenerational Friendship: Kondo insists that he sees his relationship with the much younger Akira as a non-romantic friendship. She isn't thrilled about the "non-romantic" part.
- Jaded Washout: Averted/defied by Kondo. His life didn't go how he wanted, but he tries to be mature about it.
- Love Confession: The first act is about Akira building up to confessing her attraction toward Kondo.
- Romantic Rain: Akira and Kondo meet for the first time during a rainy day, and from then on their romantic angles involve rainy weather.
- Oblivious to Love: Kondo suspects something is off with Akira, but doesn't realize that she's attracted to him until it's spelled out for him.
- Stalker with a Crush: Akira got her job at Garden to get closer to Kondo, who she is infatuated with.
- Visit by Divorced Dad: Inverted, Kondo's son generally comes to him.