- From Chapter 2: Schoolyard Myths
- Basil, The Minotaur in general.
- From Chapter 6: A Handful Of Dirt:
- From Chapter 9: Questions And Answers:
- Annie forgets something.
- From Chapter 10: Doctor Disaster Versus The Creepy Space Aliens From Outer Space:
I know I shouldn't but... I can't help but wonder how creatures without arms could make such a device. And tie my friends up.
- Annie showing a lack of Willing Suspension of Disbelief:
- From Chapter 11: Dobranoc, Gamma:
- From Chapter 12: Mainly Involves Robots:
- Annie's use of "bewildering powers of deception and trickery" on the Doorbot. Several chapters later, they're still looking for her.
- "Halt! No, I said halt, not "Run away!'" "Maybe they didn't understand. Say it again!"
- "Running! Our one true weakness!"
- And the bonus page where Reynardine's attempt at suaveness is met with "Get back in your box."
- From Chapter 13: A Week For Kat:"If you'll excuse me, I have to find a book."Congratulations to those who figured this out. In my mind I am picturing a dart board with every available space riddled with darts."Hey, Aly, want to be a bird?"
- From Chapter 14: The Fangs Of Summertime:
Antimony: Surma was my mother.
- Coyote is in himself a Funny Character, and his introduction wasn't short at this:
Coyote: You're her daughter?! HAHAHA! Eglamore you hound!
Eglamore: ...Carver is the girl's father.
Coyote: Oh! In that case, how awkward! HAHAHA! AH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!
- While definitely a funny moment at the time, later details also serve to make this insight into Coyote's personality less funny and more disturbing.
Coyote: This is Ysengrin. He is very impatient.The Rant: He also hates a lot of things.
- And shortly after:
Ysengrin: Now the very trees of Gillite are under my command.
- Renard gives Ysengrin a sarcastic taste:
Reynardine: I tremble in the presence of your terrifying skills of gardening, Ysengrin.
- From Chapter 15: Red Returns:
- Everything Red does, once she passes the test and gains a human form.
"I didn't know you could cut fingers off!"
"YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW HER NAME?!"
Ayilu: Your hair!
- The reconciliation with Ayilu:
Red: My hair!
Ayilu: It goes up again!
Red: It goes up again!
Ayilu: Oooh! I want to be your friend! Oh please!
Red: [points to Annie and Kat] AHAHAHA!!
Tom: In your faces, girls.
"I, also, am happy..."
- The bonus page, "The Wonderful Plan".
- From Chapter 17: The Medium Beginning:
Parley: Farewell! HAHAHA!
- The way Parley tries to communicate with Mort.
- The way Smitty and Mort instantly become bros.
- From Chapter 18: S1:
- Annie is being bullied by some kids. They insult Renard. The results were... far from good:
- From Chapter 19: Power Station:
"ZimmyXJack??? More like shutXup."
- Tom's commentary at the bottom of page 469:
- From Chapter 20: Coyote Stories:
Coyote: How is that for an enigmatic answer?
- After Annie asks Coyote what the Court is:
Ysengrin: Very enigmatic. It barely answers anything at all.
Antimony: In fact, it raises more questions than before.
Coyote: Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Jones: Try not to undress the female students, James.
- Eglamore showing more worry about Annie than he should. ("He's right about the tie, though.")
Eglamore: Oh...oh God..."Ah. I may have some explaining to do..."
- From Chapter 21: Blinking:
- Annie and Reynardine are still in an uneasy relationship at this point. Kat's reaction:
Kat: But what did you use to jargon jargon babble babble strange words?
- All hail the glory of... ROBOX. He is NOT terrible.
- Kat and Anja engaging in a Techno Babble chat with a confused Antimony listening.
Anja: Haha, it took a while to perfect, but chatter chatter jargon computers technical wizardry babble jargon.
Antimony: *confused silence*
- From City Face:
- The entire tangent, seen here.
- From Chapter 23: Terror Castle Of The Jupiter Moon Martians:
The Rant: Reynardine decides that is close enough.
- The discussion on why Parley is wrapped around Smitty most of the time.
- Renard being flowered by Jones.
- The scene after Parley accidentally teleports Smit (with Annie, Jones, and Renard)... into her bedroom. Also, the Samus Poster in the upper right of her room.
- "SLAM again".
- Reynard's reaction to Jack hassling Annie.
- From Chapter 24: Residential:
Bob: Just like real cows! Only with lasers.
- Paz meeting the Laser Cows: Comic #602.
Tom: Laser Cows. Just like real cows. Only with lasers. T-shirt coming soon.
Winsbury: Go away you big, dumb cow!
- Winsbury bashing at the Laser Cows, and their reply:
Laser Cow 1: Response: No. Added note: It is YOU that is dumb.
Laser Cow 2: Query: Did I detect some burning just now?
Laser Cow 1: Reply: Only my incredible insult.Tom: Lazer eyes. Razor wit.
Annie: Well, you know where the tents are. Night!
- After the kids take control of the house:
- Bob's Awesome Aesop. Indeed, "there's a lesson in all this".
- Winsbury's reconciliation with the Laser Cows.
- From Chapter 25: Sky Watcher And The Angel:
- From Chapter 26: The Old Dog's Tricks:
- From Chapter 27: Spring Heeled, Part 1:
Spring Heeled, Part 2
A Bad Start
- The bonus page, a pigeon fact sheet by Bobby the robot, including a morbid recount of a dying pigeon he once saw.The Rant: They asked Bobby to put together a fact sheet for the kids. They didn't ask him again after.
The Coward Heart
- The callback to chapter 1, with the idea of robotic walking/throwing devices. Kat is even in the same pose that Annie was.
- Andrew gets asked to throw Annie's blinker stone at the cliff (it needs to fall straight down to land where they want it to land, but they can't get close enough to the cliff to do it). He does so... and the stone bounces off a crow and falls. Kat and Andrew's expressions are priceless.
- The Rant on this page:
- Annie, professional unintentional Moment Killer. The annoyed look on everyone's face in the last panel sells it.
- The Bonus Page. Nice Hat, indeed. And then someone made this thread.
From The Forest She Came
- The last panel. It probably wouldn't have a place here other than the fact that, yes, that is Annie.
- Epic Oh, Crap! moment.
Give And Take
Faraway Morning (And Three Short Tales)
- Don't worry, that was only a Level 2 Collar Pop. Annie was completely safe the whole time.
- Kat gets Mistaken for Gay. Paz gets even more awkward.
- "I'm in love with Zimmy!" As much for Annie's expressions and reaction as anything else. For a bonus it's a Brick Joke as well.
- This page's Imagine Spot of Zimmy in a nice dress and her hair done up... versus a velociraptor.
- On the heels of a number of serious story arcs and character development, this happens.
- So you were driving your tricked out horse.
- Annie learns an abject lesson on eavesdropping. Works as a Brick Joke from Chapter 21: Blinking.
- In the bonus page, Janet and William wake up to find their friends, who didn't believe they'd been in a Secret Relationship for ages, had moved them so they were cuddling, as a joke. They immediately declare "BEST. FRIENDS. EVER." to the confusion of everyone else.
Parley and Smitty Are In This One
- The Exactly What It Says on the Tin snarkiness of the chapter title, for one.
- Cookie Monster, with crazy Cheshire Cat Grin, grabbing Parley and all. And here we thought Parley had No Sense of Personal Space.
- Renard is the Resident Ladies expert.
- That time Kat was Mistaken for Gay has left an impression on her.
- Well, how sharp could it- The kicker that turns it from shocking and morbid to absolutely hilarious is Coyote's laughter at the end.
- Smitty is totally fine with this situation.
Red Gets a Name
- Hilariously adorable Ayilu and her adoration. "Her name... is Red!" and then "♥ Can I hang out with you too? ♥"
- Here it is. The best page of Gunnerkrigg Court.
- When Donnie is talking to Annie about her father, he explains the difficulty he had with his first crush.Donald: As much as she seemed to like him, she wouldn't ask him out. She was waiting for him to do it. I mean, you know how girls are—uh...(remembers who he's talking to)Donald: Motion to strike previous comment.Annie: (grinning) Granted.
- Jones: Needs to make a phone call. note
- Also on page 1025: "Kat: Distracted by baking. Jimmy Jims: Also distracted by baking. Anja: Initiated plan theta (Baking distraction)"
- Zimmy, while mucking around in Annie's head, discovers that Jack is in love with her. Her reaction is priceless.
- Just before that, when she's confronted with a nobody Jack."Dammit, Carver! I don't wanna know about yer million boyfriends!"
The Great Secret
- Pretty much every page with Coyote in it. Especially the expressions on Annie's face at Coyote's antics.
- A new range of expressions for Ysengrin.
- What time is it? It's Mort Fun Time!
- Annie walks in on Jones and asks "What are you?" and Tom has in the creator text is "Not a robot".
- On this page, the hilarious contrast between the villagers' initial angry expressions when they confront Jones, and their shocked-speechless expressions when she casually breaks the knight's spear is priceless.
- There's something subtly funny as to how seriously freakin' old Jones is. She goes back to past eras....And never. changes. her expression. Now that's a poker face.
- Annie seems to be taking it well.
- RAWR MYSTERY SOLVED
- Jones is the best troll.
- How easy the seraph robots make it to follow them.
- Annie's robot disguise is still wanted.
- Rey smells something.
- Annie will be keeping an eye on those robots. It's too hard to pick which is best: her face in panel five or panel six.
- The glorious moment in which the new medium is revealed.
- Coyote calls Andrew "Mighty Eyebrows Boy".
- Coyote explains Renard's joke.
- Andrew's first time in the forest involves helping various inhabitants with their problems. One involves a floating octopus.Andrew: I think you really should be in the ocean...
Octopus: So that's what I've been doing wrong!
- His visit ultimately ends in him, Annie and Parley running from a horde of creatures looking for help from Andrew.
- The last page has Renard visit Eglamore at his place. What makes it is The Rant: "Today's movie is Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol." Implying that Renard and Eglamore regularly watch mediocre movies together. A much later bonus page confirms this.
- The subtle expression on the giant snake's face in this page right before Ysengrin smashes him into the ground.
- In the bonus page, Annie returns from the forest with many spills of Ysengrin's blood. What really clinches it is the absolutely psychotic look on Antimony's face. Some readers noted that "It's not my blood." is the LEAST reassuring "reassuring statement" ever."Oh, don't worry, don't worry! It's not my blood."
- The seraphs halt Paz as an unauthorized visitor:Seraph: State your name and the name of your hairdresser!
- Kat tries to set up a date. Emphasis on "tries."
- Kat's face after her first kiss with Paz.
- Reynard's reaction when Kat mentions offhandedly that she was kissing her girlfriend. He turns around as if to say I Knew It!; only for Kat to stop him by stomping on his face.
- Renard learning who Kat is dating... by smelling her when she hugs him. Doubles with her Luminescent Blush AND serves as a callback to the Court scene in Ch. 41.Reynardine: Paz! Nice choice!
The Realm of the Dead
- The ROTD looking like a tacky haunted house to Kat. Even this guy is wearing a monster costume glove and his cloak has a tag on it sticking off the side of his head.
- "You must be the life of the party, kid."
- Steadman's last words: "I really wish I hadn't tripped over that damned dog."
- Kat and Morty are currently in the Realm of the dead, Final records room, where the last thoughts of someone are held. Their natural reaction, of course, is to look up the names of famous people.
- "But... it's my room..." Actually becomes even funnier when you see what it probably looked like for Annie and Mort.
- Kat being spooked by Ankou and attempts to hide behind Mort. Yes Kat, keep hiding behind the ghost.
- On the bottom of this page, Ankou rapidly backpedals away from an increasingly-angry Annie.
- Coyote, of all people: "Party! Party!"
The Torn Sea
- One person on the forums threw out the wild guess that the sailbot was actually the whole ship and that it was in love with Lindsey. The next update, they were proven exactly right and was thus given all the cookies.
- This page, seventh panel. Reynardine's face.
- Poor Annie. Forever alone.
- A comment responding to this page deserves to live on:I COSPLAYED THIS GUY?
City Face's Book of Birds
- This set of side comics written from the perspective of City Face starts by describing a couple species of fairly common birds, such as pigeons, magpies, and seagulls. Then City Face goes on to describe more exotic and unusual birds like the secretary bird, the emu, and the giraffe.
- The very fact Annie gets away with going barefoot absolutely everywhere now.
- The snakey-looking person who helps grow new transfer students and their look of surprise when Annie asks if they were one themselves.
- The Shout-Out to Friends, and how blatant it gets by the end.
Annie and the Fire
- Mr. Carver sees Donald's gift:
- The abrupt cut from weeping Tony to snoring Tony.
Meetings and Re-Meetings
- From Chapter 54: Coyote's temper tantrum when he sees Annie, complete with rolling around on the floor and screaming 'THIS ISN'T FIRE HEAD GIRL'. The artstyle just makes it even more hilarious.
- The next page has Coyote meet Anthony, calling him the Broken Man, and while crossing into Nightmare Fuel, the fact that he got so angry that he just pushed one of the court's buildings down with what looks like a poke is just chuckle worthy.
- Anthony's treatment of Annie isn't funny, but Ysengrin's blunt, perplexed reaction to it is. Part of this is due to contrast, as every other character so far has treated the matter with the utmost seriousness, while Ysengrin completely misses the point.
The Break Out
- Antimony getting Renard back from Anthony is treated as a serious challenge, ending one chapter with her declaring she'll do it and the next chapter is entirely devoted to her efforts. She knocks on Anthony's door and asks for Renard, and before she can even finish her reasons why Anthony has handed him to her. End of chapter. In one page.
- Followed by a tittering Coyote for the chapter's bonus page.
- And then the next page with Tea in her Peace Walker PJs, clearly not expecting to do her meta thing, and scrambling for something as the artstyle devolves into basic sketches."See this thing here is very important, you probably didn't notice earlier in the story but you'll be surprised when it comes back!" [strikes a pose to display... something that hasn't been drawn in yet. it's just a '?' ]
- Robot, despite being a, well, robot somehow blushes and sweats when Shadow is admiring his new Organic Technology arm.
Get it Together
- Janet and Winsbury reveal their relationship to Antimony. Looking back she realizes there were a few subtle hints, like how they're always near each other, and the "joke" kisses, oh and that time they did a two-person play about being married.Antimony: It was three hours long.
- Renard's face at being told that Antimony "turned [Winsbury] down" must be seen to be believed.Reynardine: OH THANK GOD!
A Big Day!
- According to Parley, Eglamore is not a fan of Anthony.
Antimony: Well I don't think it's any of my tell me everything right now.
- Antimony's reaction to learning of Eglamore's feelings shouldn't go unmentioned either.
- <snuffle>'s reaction to Bugsy tearfully gushing over her: "Finally, a sane person!"
- Page 1735: We see Red's friend get skewered on Jeanne's sword. Page 1736: She is completely fine. Jeanne's sword strike was aimed at a standing target, and she had been kneeling the whole time. Just more proof that Tom Siddell is the Trolling Creator.
The Other Shore
- Kat's POV of the inside of the arrow. As with the ROTD, the fantastic and elaborate becomes mundane and simple. The vast interior of the arrow instead appears to be a tiny room that barely fits the three of them. The city-sized maze keeping the elf imprisoned becomes a simple set of manacles.
- Kat picking the lock and being very miffed at not getting to see the cool etheric effects.Annie: Oh! Incredible! I I can't even describe what I'm seeing!
Kat: Man, why don't I ever get to see the cool stuff?
Red's Friend Gets A Name Too I Suppose
- Red's attempt to name her friend can only be described as an Epic Fail of the highest caliber. First, she and Annie predictably decide on the name "Blue". Red panics about getting it wrong, and then sees her friend, who looks more like she's about to get married. Red spends an entire page playfully and panickedly insulting her in the most awkward sequence imaginable, which ends with her confessing that she's in love with "Blue". Her friend's reaction to this is about what you'd expect, and Red tries to play it off by saying that she really said Ayilu. Which is now her friend's name. Ayilu doesn't seem convinced, until Annie goes with it to try and save what remains of Red's dignity. Ayilu loves it. Her super-serious face is just the cherry on top of the disaster. Then she does all sorts of ritualistic things (like writing it on a piece of paper, folding it into an airplane, and throwing it out the window, writing it on a vase, and then smashing the vase, and writing it on another piece of paper and then burning it) that Annie assumes are fairy traditions, when Red interjects:Red: Huh? No. No idea what she's doing.
And Then Coyote Said...
- After the title, something deep or significant is going to come, right? Wrong!Coyote: Let me tell you of the time I disguised myself as a dead goose in a bush next to a lake!
- Because there was a death in Anja's family, Donny has to pull out of his planned expedition with Tony to Brazil. Surma impulsively decides to take his place. Anja and Donny are so shocked their pupils are visible.
- When Surma and Tony reach their study base, she realizes that it's to study insects, not languages. This actually makes Tony laugh.
- Tony asks Surma if she can burn a leaf, which she does, but get uncomfortable with him watching her do it. So he turns away from her and Surma, being Surma, uses the Ether to peek at Tony while she tries to burn the leaf again. Of course she fails.
- After a long day of fieldwork, Surma completely passes out asleep. Apparently, one sip of a Klatchian Coffee is enough to wake her.
- "Katerina, congratulations on becoming a wizard with magical abilities."
- A VIDEO GAME
- The bonus page lists the features of A Video Game:
- Contains graphics
- Players allowed
- Sound included
- 13 different tries
- Extra hardened
- Double salted
- Enables games to be played while required
- Compatible with all systems
- Typically only LARGE and SMALL
- Jones' mild annoyance that she's been thrown into orbit.
- The page commentary when the group's train is attacked by tree roots:6 hilarious vines you've forgotten try not to laugh challenge
Dealing with HER
- While puzzling out the implications of there being two of Annie now, George tells Annie that she probably should have come with her into the Forest. Annie replies that Loup likely would have just kicked her out, or there would be two of George as well. Cue Smitty and Reynard's thought bubbles.
- Court-Annie showing Annie where she got the idea for the focused fire beams from: Kat, who got the idea from Freeza's Death Beam from the Dragon Ball Z manga.
- After the Annies land on an unpleasant thought (that maybe they don't pay enough attention to Kat), there's a beat, then they push past it by insisting to each other that maybe Paz was just being unreasonable.Tom: A couple of real geniuses at work right here.
- Both Annies emerging from their evening's ordeal... looking somewhat less than amused.
Down That Road
- Both Annies go to meet with Eglamore, only to be greeted by Idra, who is wearing James' shirt.
- The Annies share a storm cloud after some Obstructive Bureaucrats confiscate one of the relics from them.
The Thousand Eyes
- Anja summons Brynhildr, who is a semi-divine Valkyrie. She appears in a burst of power and recites a formal (and accurate!) poem in Norse... and then she notices Anja and spends the next few pages squealing like a schoolgirl.
- Brynhildr continues the Running Gag of 'people who knew Annie's parents automatically assuming James Eglamore is her father'. Her face when she learns Anthony is the father is a picture.
- Kat, Anja, and the Annies are briefly stunned by the fact that the Norns look like them. Only briefly, however, as Kat and the Annies get over it pretty quickly, being used to this sort of stuff.The Annies: Oh, I get it.Kat: This happens sometimes.
Side comicsAnnie in the Forest
- Annie is asked if there's a boy she likes. She mentally goes down the list of "Boys I Know": Renard (a stuffed toy), Shadow (a Living Shadow), Robot (a robot), Mort (a Bedsheet Ghost), Eglamore (whose face is crossed out)
- From the forum:
- From the Gunnerkrigg Patreon:
- The highest goal, at $500,000 a month: "I will print and eat the entire comic."
- The video is interspersed with random scenes such as:
- Tom suddenly turns and points. "There he is!" The camera swings to show a person in a pigeon head mask, half-hidden behind a bush. The person runs away. Back to Tom, who shakes his head. "Beautiful."
- Tom balances a feather on top of a bush with a look of concentration. "I've always had trouble with action scenes."