The Lure is a 2015 film from Polish director Agnieszka Smoczyńska.
A chance encounter between two mermaid sisters, Silver and Golden, and a family of musicians ends up with the girls recruited into a cabaret. As they try to blend in with the human crowd, one of them becomes attracted to her bandmate, while the other one follows her murderous instincts.
Blending the genres of black comedy, horror and musical, the movie draws inspiration from folk tales and the realities of life in late '80s Poland.
The movie provides examples of:
- Barbie Doll Anatomy: Called out by name when the Drummer presents the girls to the Manager. When in human form, they lack any sexual characteristics below their waists - even their buttocks are fused together.
- Beauty Is Never Tarnished: Averted. Golden gets a scratch of her face while struggling with her first victim, although the wound seems to disappear and reappear in different scenes. Later, Silver gets a huge scar across her torso after the half-body transplant.
- Bestiality Is Depraved: Mietek refuses to have sex with Silver because of this. The Drummer seems to have less inhibitions.
- Bi the Way: Both mermaids seem to be this, but extra points go to Golden, who seduces a policewoman.
- Black Eyes of Evil: Whenever the mermaids let loose their primal nature, their eyes turn black. More visible in Silver's case, since her "human" eyes are a brighter shade.
- Cute Mute: Silver after the operation.
- Downer Ending: Silver dies in the arms of the man she loves because she cannot bring herself to kill him. In a fit of rage and grief, Golden kills Mietek then leaps back into the water while the other band members watch in horror.
- Dumb Blond: Mietek has shades of this.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: Not as pale as the usual example of this trope, but Golden's fair skin and dark hair play well with her more predatory nature.
- Fingore: Golden bites off the Drummer's thumb as he apologizes for knocking the sisters out and dumping them in the river.
- Literal Maneater: Golden's first victim gets killed when attempting to have sex with her in his car.
- I Am A Humanitarian: Mermaids feed on human hearts.
- Cannibalism Superpower: While not stated directly, it seems to give them more benefits than regular food - allowing them to heal after being knocked out and thrown off a bridge and even break curses.
- Incest Is Relative: The mermaids play with this and Girl-on-Girl Is Hot during one show, exchanging kisses to tittilate the public.
- Mermaid Problem: Averted.The mermaids do have a slit at the bottom of their tails. Unfortunately, Silver's intended prefers human anatomy.
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: When they drop the glamour, the mermaids' mouths are full of sharp, conical teeth.
- Mr. Exposition: Triton the punkrocker merman provides imporant details on mermaid mythology.
- Nightmare Fetishist: The policewoman. As if Golden's real form wasn't creepy enough, she has sex with her at gunpoint. Made extra creepy by the fact she knows Golden is a murderer and a cannibal, and that's what turned her on in the first place.
- Public Exposure: One of the sisters' heart-to-hearts happens in the middle of a nude photography session.
- Trailers Always Lie: The American triler is more straightforward about the movie's content, but the original Polish trailer made quite a lot of viewers believe they were going to watch an urban fantasy chick flick.
- Shameless Fanservice Girls: The mermaids treat clothes merely as a costume to fit in with humans - they strip at the drop of a hat. Of course, this makes their job as strippers much easier.
- What Measure Is A Nonhuman: Mietek rebukes Silver's advances by telling her he considers her an animal.