Aahoo Jahansouz "Sarah" Shahi (Persian: آهو جهانسوز سارا شاهی, born January 10, 1980 in Euless, Texas) is an American television actress and former NFL Cheerleader.
She's perhaps best-known for her scene-stealing roles in Person of Interest and The L Word, both shows which resulted in her being upgraded from a guest star to a regular. She also played the lead in Fairly Legal as Kate Reed, and has had many notable supporting roles in Film and Television.
She is married to fellow actor Steve Howey, and they have a son named William Wolf Howey, born in 2009 (necessitating her pregnancy being hidden on Life's second season) and twins Violet and Knox, born in March 2015.
- Actor Allusion: Shaw is of Persian descent, like Shahi, and has both a Persian and westernized name; not to mention both have the initials S.S. Her frequent use of football metaphors ("I know this went sideways, Finch, but you can't bench me for every mistake." "You go through identities like they're Dixie Cups, but I'm one and done?") are a reference to her former career as a Dallas Cowboys cheerleader.
- Actor-Shared Background: Sarah is the child of an Iranian father and Spanish mother. In two roles so far (Dani Reese of Life and Sameen Shaw of Person of Interest) her character is stated to be half-Iranian (though in both cases it's on her mother's side instead, explaining their Western last names).
- Added Alliterative Appeal: Sarah Shahi.
- The Cast Showoff:
- Casting Gag: Twice during Reba Cheyenne and Van's marriage was tested by another woman. The first time was Kate, a business associate of Van's that Cheyenne was insanely jealous of. The second was a woman named Bridgit, who was a former classmate of theirs (and enemy of Cheyenne) who made a pass at Van to torment Cheyenne. Both characters were played by Shahi, who is now Steve Howey's (Van's actor) wife (although they were only dating/engaged at the time.)
- Embarrassing First Name: She changed her name from "Aahoo" to "Sarah" as a child to avoid being teased; "Aahoo" sounds a little too much like a sneeze.
- The Cheerleader: She was a Dallas Cowboys cheerleader from 1999 to 2000.
- Hello, Attorney!: As Kate Reed in Fairly Legal and Renee Royce in Chicago Fire.
- Hide Your Pregnancy / Real Life Writes the Plot:
- She was pregnant during the last episodes of season two's Life, so she was quickly written into a story-line of being interviewed by the FBI and wasn't shown standing up for the rest of the season.
- It happened again on Person of Interest, after she wound up pregnant with twins during the fourth season; there was a lot of sitting down and standing behind counters. When standing, she was mostly framed from the chest up and wore a lot of black outfits with coats over them when they had to do full body shots.note She was written out of the show midway through the season with her character's fate left deliberately ambiguous to allow them to bring her back later, and she returned the following season. Shahi told interviewers they considered simply writing it into the series, though since Shaw's very far from the maternal type this didn't go through.
- Ms. Fanservice: Shahi was once an NFL cheerleader, has won numerous beauty competitions, was Miss Fort Worth USA, is frequent ranked one of the most gorgeous women in the world, and willingly will show nudity. Thus she's played many examples with varying degrees of nudity, sex scenes, skimpy clothes and suggestiveness (see e.g. The L Word, Life, Fairly Legal, Person of Interest).
- 2003 Old School as Erica
- 2003 Legally Blonde 2: Red, White & Blonde as Becky, Delta Nu sister
- 2005 A Lot Like Love as Starlet
- 2006 For Your Consideration as Sanchez
- 2007 Rush Hour 3 as Zoe
- 2012 Static as Adele Dade
- 2012 Bullet to the Head as Lisa Bonomo
- 2015 Divine Access as Marian
- 2000 - City Guys as Cheerleader
- 2000 - Spin City as Bachelorette
- 2001 - Boston Public as Laura
- 2001 - Off Centre as Angelica
- 20012002 Alias as Jenny
- 2003 Dawson's Creek as Sadie Shaw
- 2003 - ER as Tara King
- 2004, 2007 - Reba as Kate / Bridget
- 2005 - Supernatural as Constance Welch / The Woman in White
- 20052009 The L Word as Carmen de la Pica Morales
- 2006 - Teachers as Tina Torres
- 2006 - Sleeper Cell as Farrah
- 2007 - The Sopranos as Sonya Aragon
- 2007-2009 Life as Dani Reese
- 2010 Psych as Ruby
- 2011-2012 Fairly Legal as Kate Reed
- 2011 - Young Justice as Killer Frost (voice)
- 2012-2013 Chicago Fire as Renee Royce
- 2013-2016 - Person of Interest as Sameen Shaw
- 2015 - Ray Donovan as Hasmig
- 2016 - Pitch as Natalie Luongo
- 2018 - Reverie as Mara Kint