Lisa Olivia Munn (born July 3, 1980) is an American actress and TV personality. She is better known as the former co-host of G4TV's Attack of the Show! with Kevin Pereira, where much of the show was dedicated to her comedic antics, not to mention her Ms. Fanservice moments. She left G4 in 2010, for a correspondent position at The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, which was her breakout into the mainstream and started garnering more prominent acting roles.
It's also worth noting opinions on her are highly divisive in regard to her image and "authenticity," mainly due to her sexy image and whether or not she's a geek. But she does have an awareness of the controversy and plays to it occasionally.
Films/TV shows with pages on TV Tropes:
- Attack of the Show! (co-host, 2006-2010)
- Greek (2009)
- The Slammin' Salmon (2009)
- The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (2010-2011)
- Perfect Couples (2010)
- Date Night (2010)
- Iron Man 2 (2010)
- The Newsroom (2012-2014)
- Magic Mike (2012)
- Deliver Us from Evil (2014)
- Miles from Tomorrowland (2015)
- Mortdecai (2015)
- Ride Along 2 (2016)
- X-Men: Apocalypse (2016)
- Office Christmas Party (2016)
- The LEGO Ninjago Movie (2017)
- Six (2017)
- The Predator (2018)
Tropes associated with this actress include:
- Adorkable: It shows in some of Attack of the Show! skits. You can't help but admire how cute and geeky she can be.
- But Not Too Foreign: She is of Chinese-Vietnamese and northern European (English, Irish, German) heritage. Though during a visit to Singapore to promote The Newsroom, she has admitted to growing up frustrated with having "more Chinese eyes, ... brown hair."
- Deadpan Snarker: Her preferred comic style.
- Gamer Chick: People will debate this until they're blue in the face, but yes, Olivia Munn does have geek/gamer cred. Her biography Suck It, Wonder Woman! details that she played video games as a kid, she can assemble PCs, and likes Star Wars. Also, in her biography she says she always felt a kinship towards geeks since she was a socially awkward child.
- Gasshole (0:37)
- Hiccup Hijinks: She occasionally gets hiccups when getting too nervous, which is usually remedied with deep breathing.
- Malaproper: "McHammer."
- Ms. Fanservice: And how. This actually led to a mini-controversy when she was hired on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart since she doesn't have a background in comedy and it was perceived she was only hired for eye candy.
- She Really Can Act: Between the hot dog swallowing, pie-jumping and sexy cosplay, people forget that Olivia Munn is first and foremost, an actress. Her role as Sloan Sabbith in The Newsroom has made critics sit up and take notice.
- She's Got Legs: It goes along with the rest of the Fanservice. Notably, the introduction of her character on Chuck was a long, slooooooow pan up her legs as she strutted in slow-mo across the Buy More while wearing a short skirt.
- Also notably, she's playing Psylocke in X-Men: Apocalypse, who is probably the Marvel poster child for this trope (to the point that her legs and ass historically get more play than the Most Common Superpower. And yes, she is wearing the iconic purple leotard in the film, with Munn directly commenting on the strappy thigh-highs in interviews about the costume. She actually insisted on wearing that outfit, because it was more accurate to the comics.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: She's afraid of balloons.