Just in case you're wondering, her last name is French so it should be pronounced 'ben-wah' according to her. Her family just chooses to say "ben-oyst" instead. (They use the Anglicized version.)
Filmography with pages on TV Tropes:
- Law & Order: Criminal Intent (2010) as Jessalyn Kerr
- Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (2010) as Ava
- Blue Bloods (2010) as Renee
- The Good Wife (2010) as Molly
- Homeland (2011) as Stacey Moore
- Glee (2012 — 2014) as Marley Rose
- Whiplash (2014) as Nicole
- Band of Robbers (2015) as Becky Thatcher
- Arrowverse (2015 — present) as Kara Zor-El / Kara Danvers / Supergirl:
- Patriots Day (2016) as Katherine Russell
Tropes associated with her work:
- Adorkable : Like with Kara herself, she too displays a geeky cuteness.
- Casting Gag: Her ex-husband played Kara's Third-Option Love Interest in two episodes of Supergirl (2015).
- Dawson Casting:
- Marley in Glee was a high school student, played by Benoist at the age of twenty-four.
- Nicole in Whiplash is a college student, played by Benoist at twenty-six.
- Zig-Zagged as the titular Supergirl (2015). The character was actually born in The '60s but was in suspended animation for about twenty-five years (1979-2004) but is a member of an alien race who age slowly on Earth. The series begins with the character being approximately twenty-four years old, played by Melissa at twenty-seven.
- Dyeing for Your Art: She's naturally brunette but dyes her hair blonde to play Kara.
- Period Drama: Her works such as Patriots Day (set during the Boston Marathon Incident in 2013) and Waco (set during David Koresh's stand-off with the U.S. authorities in 1993).
- Romance on the Set: She married Blake Jenner after meeting on Glee, but they have since divorced and she is now dating her Supergirl (2015) co-star Chris Wood.
- Star-Making Role: Although she got a lot of positive attention for Glee and Whiplash, getting cast as the lead in Supergirl (2015) has brought her career to new heights.
- Statuesque Stunner: The woman stands 5'8, and she's frequently the tallest woman in the cast on the works she appears in.
- You Look Familiar: She guested on the Law & Order franchise twice (Criminal Intent and Special Victims Unit), each time as different characters.
- Playing Against Type: Her role as the Ambiguously Evil wife of one of the Boston Marathon bombers, who knew, approved of and may or may not have been involved in the preparation for said attacks in Patriots Day.