Henry Albert "Hank" Azaria (born April 25, 1964) is an American actor and comedian. Ever since 1990, he has voiced many secondary characters from The Simpsons, (the Curtain Call at the end of The Simpsons Movie credits him for more characters than any of the other actors, with a whopping ten roles!) and has done several other notable roles.
Much like Dan Castellaneta and Harry Shearer, Azaria voices a lot of male characters that aren't voiced by other voice actors (like Phil Hartman, Karl Weidergott, Chris Edgerly, or any of the female voice actors who play boy characters) or a celebrity guest star. From The Simpsons alone, he notably voices: miserable, suicidal, Jerkass bartender Moe Szyslak; Surfer Dude career criminal Snake Jailbird; fat, incompetent town cop Chief Clancy Wiggum; Asian (Indian) Kwik-E-Mart clerk Apu Nahasapeemapetilonnote ; the "Sarcastic Middle Aged Clerk" who sounds like Charles Bronson (his real name is said to be Raphael, according to the season 12 episode "Day of the Jackanapes"); smug, fat nerd/Android Dungeon store owner Jeff Albertson (better known as Comic Book Guy)note ; Milhouse's loser father, Kirk van Houten; Duff Beer's macho mascot, Duffman; Homer's Token Black friend, Carl Carlsonnote ; the replacement voice for Akira, the Japanese sushi restauranteur and, in season three's "When Flanders Failed," a karate teachernote and many more minor instances.
On the side of live action appearances, Azaria's has performed in more diverse roles, which include:
- Jay Nichols in Herman's Head, which he considers an Old Shame, along with fellow Simpsons voice actress Yeardley Smithnote
- Nat the Dog Walker in Mad About You
- Phoebe's scientist boyfriend David on Friends
- Alan Marciano in Heat; perhaps best known as the slimeball surprised by Al Pacino's improvised "Cause she got a GREAT ASS!" bit.
- Agador the houseboy in The Birdcage
- Journalist/editor Michael Kelly in Shattered Glass
- Kahmunrah & the Abraham Lincoln Memorial Statue in Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian
- Simon Pegg's Jerk Jock nemesis Whit in Run Fatboy Run.
- The Blue Rajah in Mystery Men
- Gargamel in The Smurfs and The Smurfs 2
- Ed Cochran in Ray Donovan
- Victor "The Animal" Palotti (AKA the cameraman who almost got squished by Zilla) in Godzilla (1998)
- The titular character on Brockmire
- Frank DiPascali, Bernie Madoff's chief minion, in The Wizard of Lies
- Tim Cook in Super Pumped The Battle for Uber
Both in appearance and through his seemingly endless repertoire of exotic accents, he's Ambiguously Brown. He is actually an American Sephardic Jew (Sephardic Jews are the ones who can trace their ancestry from the Iberian peninsula [the peninsula containing Spain and Portugal] to the north part of Africa. Contrast that with Ashkenazi Jews, whose lineage is in Central and Eastern Europe).