Richard Ellef Ayoade (/aɪ. oʊˈɑːdi/, born 23 May 1977) is a British comic actor, director, and writer. He is probably best known for playing the socially awkward, deeply nerdy character of Moss in The IT Crowd, and he often projects a similar persona in other roles when appearing on celebrity quiz shows or presenting factual programs. This is somewhat deceptive. Ayoade may be somewhat awkward and nerdy in real life, but he’s also highly accomplished; aside from having a law degree from Cambridge University, he’s written and directed feature films and music videos, and is generally highly versatile as well as smart.
Examples of Richard Ayoade's Work
Live TV Roles
- Garth Marenghis Darkplace
- The IT Crowd
- The Mandalorian
- Man to Man with Dean Learner
- The Mighty Boosh
- Nathan Barley
- Snuff Box
Panel Show Appearances
- Big Fat Quiz of the Year
- Was It Something I Said?
- 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown
- The Fake News Show
- Room 101
- Have I Got News for You
Animation Voice Work
- Apple & Onion
- The Bad Guys (2022)
- The Boxtrolls
- Danger Mouse
- Early Man
- Full English
- Kung Fu Panda: The Dragon Knight
- The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part
- Neo Yokio
- Strange Hill High
- Ayoade on Ayoade: A Cinematic Odyssey
- ''Richard Ayoade Presents: The Grip of Film, by Gordie LaSure
- Ayoade on Top
Tropes associated with Ayoade or his characters
- Black and Nerdy: He's not shy about admitting his nerdiness.
- Deadpan Snarker: One of his trademarks.
- The Host: He has presented several shows.
- Nerdy Nasalness: Ayoade has quite a nasal voice and is nerdy, both of which are played up in The IT Crowd.
- Odd Couple: Is often paired with someone with a contrasting persona, for example Cloud Cuckoo Lander Noel Fielding (Big Fat Quiz of the Year), or Jimmy Carr (Was It Something I Said?, Gadget Man). Can also be inverted, as he is sometimes paired up with equally dry-humored David Mitchell (Big Fat Quiz of the Year, Gadget Man).
- The Smart Guy: Usually presented as the smart one.
- Socially Awkward Hero: Both his persona and his most famous role in The IT Crowd portray him as socially awkward.
- Take That!: Ayoade on Top is a lengthy takedown of View from the Top.