Adam Douglas Driver (born November 19, 1983 in San Diego, California) is an American actor.
He served in the United States Marine Corps before being medically discharged and studying acting at Julliard. He first gained prominence as Adam Sackler on the HBO series Girls, for which he's racked three Emmy nominations. Although he's now best known as Kylo Ren, the main villain of the new Star Wars trilogy, who first appeared in The Force Awakens, he has gained acclaim for his dramatic works such as Father Garrupe in Martin Scorsese's Silence and as the title role in Jim Jarmusch's Paterson (2016). He has received Academy Award nominations for his supporting role in BlacKkKlansman (2018) and his lead role in Marriage Story (2019).
Driver is married to actress Joanne Tucker since 2013. The couple have a son.
- J. Edgar (2011) as Walter Lyle
- Girls (2012 — 2017) as Adam Sackler note
- Frances Ha (2012) as Lev Shapiro
- Lincoln (2012) as Samuel Beckwith
- Inside Llewyn Davis (2013) as Al Cody
- This Is Where I Leave You (2014) as Philip Altman
- Star Wars sequel trilogy as Kylo Ren/Ben Solo
- Midnight Special (2016) as Agent Sevier
- Silence (2016) as Father Francisco Garrupe
- Paterson (2016) as Paterson
- Logan Lucky (2017) as Clyde Logan
- The Man Who Killed Don Quixote (2018) as Toby Grisoni
- BlacKkKlansman (2018) as Flip Zimmermannote
- The Dead Don't Die (2019) as Officer Ronald Peterson
- The Report (2019) as Daniel J. Jones
- Marriage Story (2019) as Charlie Barber
Tropes associated with this actor's work:
- Berserk Button: Hates seeing his work as well as hearing the sound of his voice, at one point walking out during an interview when they played a clip from Marriage Story, and feeling nauseous during the premiere of The Force Awakens.
- Celebrity Resemblance:
- Physically, he resembles actor-turned-director Keith Gordon, due to having a Tall, Dark, and Handsome and Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette appearance that Gordon had in his youth, while Gordon's descent-into-darkness performance as Arnie Cunningham in Christine can be comparable to Driver's performance as Kylo Ren.
- Driver's Badass Baritone voice sounds similar to the voice of Christopher Walken.
- He looks quite a bit like Dustin Hoffman when he was younger (in fact, Driver's film Marriage Story can be considered a Spiritual Successor to Hoffman's movie Kramer vs. Kramer due to their similar premises and both being entered into the Academy Awards, including Best Actor nominations with Driver nominated and Hoffman winning).
- He's been said to bear a resemblance to Ezra Miller as well as Keanu Reeves.
- He somewhat resembles a much younger◊ Roger Waters.note
- The Danza: In Girls as Adam Sackler.
- Dyeing for Your Art: For his role of a persecuted and starved Catholic priest in Silence he had lost 23 pounds. For the role of a bus driver in Paterson he actually learned how to drive a bus and got a license.
- Method Acting: Known for staying in character on set and going to great pains for the role. For example, he had lost 23 pounds for his role of a persecuted and starved Catholic priest in Silence. For the role of a bus driver in Paterson he learned how to drive a bus and got a license. He also stayed in character as Kylo Ren in The Force Awakens, refusing to take the mask off between takes, and spent a lot of time alone to get into the madness of the character.
- Mr. Fanservice:
- Spent quite a bit of his time on the set of Girls shirtless or even naked. He joked that the Girls cameraman had probably seen him naked almost as many times as his wife had.
- Played for Laughs in his Shirtless Scene in The Last Jedi, with Rey asking Kylo Ren if he can put something on as the two of them telepathically communicate through the Force.
- Parody Assistance: Reprised his role as Kylo Ren for his SNL Episode, complete with Flanderization.
- What Could Have Been: He was reportedly in talks to play Lex Luthor in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice but chose Star Wars instead. There were also rumors that he would play Dick Grayson in the film but he denied ever being approached about it although he said he would be interested and has remained a popular fancast since.