They are an amalgamation of two Dakota City street gangs - the Paris Island Bloods and the Force Syndicate who survived an event known as the Big Bang from which they developed superhuman powers.
Believing that their survival was meant as proof to pursue a higher purpose, the Syndicate set their sights on eliminating the crime that plagues their city, drawing the ire of both mobsters and the government alike. As they delve deeper into the mystery behind the Big Bang, the Syndicate is forced to overcome not only their enemies, but also their own conflicting ideals and motivations.
This series provides examples of:
- Anti-Hero Team: The whole team is this.
- Badass Crew: Managed to overpower and knock out Icon, who keep in mind gave Superman a hard time. Later they take on the actual Man of Steel and although they don't win they still managed to hold their ground, an impressive feat by itself.
- The Big Guy: Gender Flip with Brickhouse. She also wishes she were a Girly Girl, but since she's an Expy of the Thing, it's impossible.
- Deep Cover Agent: DMZ, whom Icon recognizes as one of the Green Lantern expies of the Milestone universe.
- Faux Affably Evil: Holocaust, being too far too crude and quick tempered to be Affably Evil.
- Gayngster: Fade
- Henshin Hero: Kwai/Nina Lam
- Neighborhood Friendly Gangsters
- Pyro Maniac: Holocaust definitely takes the cake with this one.
- Save Scumming: Flashback can rewind time by three seconds, an ability which has saved her teammates lives more than once. Deconstructed in that watching her friends die on several occasions begins to takes a toll on her mentally and causes her to rely even more on drugs to cope.
- White Gangbangers: Boogieman. Though he was raised on Paris Island, which is very much the definition of the hood. Wise Son tears into Boogieman for hiding his race from the gang, even though no one ever asked.