open/close all folders
Wonder Boy himself
Bocke Lee Temjin, a.k.a. Book the Hero, and his many forms.
- Baleful Polymorph: Becomes a lizard-man due to a curse, and it just snowballs from there.
- Cursed with Awesome: The aforementioned polymorphs all provide unique abilities and attributes he lacks by default, so what little he loses in strength he makes up for several times over with utility.
- Luckily, My Shield Will Protect Me: If you're not attacking at the time, all forms but Lizard-Man can block projectiles thanks to his shield.
- Morphic Resonance: He keeps a similar armor design in all forms but Lizard-Man's, and always uses a sword and shield except in the aforementioned form.
- Multi Form Balance: All the game's different forms have their distinct uses, and all but Lizard-Man are required to progress in the final dungeon.
- A Taste of Power: During the teaser, he has the best equipment (the legendary set) and his HP bar is maxed out.
- Lightning Bruiser: The strongest form statistically, though he lacks any special movement or attacking abilities.
- Purely Aesthetic Gender: In the remake, you can play as a girl instead of a boy. Nothing changes mechanically, and their cursed forms look identical, anyway, so the choice is largely inconsequential, death animation aside.
- Theme Naming: To go along with the "[animal]-man" theme, the pause menu calls him "Hu-man", or "Hu-girl" in the remake if you choose Wonder Girl.
- The Teaser: The only moment in the game when he's playable, unless you know one very special password. The remake lets you play as him after finishing the game.
- Breath Weapon: He can spit fire.
- Butt-Monkey: As the starter form, Lizard-Man gets the short end of the stick in a number of ways, being weaker than the rest and not required to be used at all again to progress once you obtain Mouse-Man. His statue is even made to hold up the transformation podium while the rest pose heroically around it.
- Informed Equipment: While changing the equipment does affect his stats, he's never seen wearing armor or using swords and shields.
- Lava is Boiling Kool-Aid: He can walk in lava just as fine as he can walk in water. Too bad the only place he can try this out doesn't lead anywhere unless the player is in Piranha-Man form. The remake includes a bonus dungeon exclusive to him where this function helps out immensely.
- Long-Range Fighter: Unlike other forms, his default attack is shooting fire balls at the enemies.
- Lizard Folk: He is one.
- Mechanically Unusual Fighter: The only form that doesn't use a sword or shield, attacking instead with fireballs which are also its only means of blocking attacks.
- Shoot the Bullet: The only way he can deflect projectiles.
- Use Your Head: He can't use a sword, so he can't break blocks with it. Instead, he can break the ones above him with his head while jumping, Mario-style.
- Weak, but Skilled: The weakest form statistically, but he has a ranged attack and can duck, so he has his uses.
- Cat Folk: He is a half-human, half-feline.
- The Charmer: The charm points are off the charts when Wonder Boy is in this form.
- Mechanically Unusual Fighter: He lacks an special powers like the Mouse-Man or Hawk-Man forms, but his attack is an overhead swing capable of hitting enemies that are above or below him, unlike the straight thrust used by other forms.
- Mighty Glacier: The 2nd strongest form statistically, though his sword swipe has the slowest swing.
- Race Lift: An African Lion in the original game, but a mountain lion in the remake as to not appear definitively male or female for the sake of playing as Wonder Girl.
These benevolent monsters run all of the shops (and, surprisingly, a church) in the game.
- Adapted Out: They are replaced with generic humans in the Game Gear version of the game.
- Good Smoking, Evil Smoking: They are the ones never seen without a cigarette despite not being the bad guys.
- Inexplicably Identical Individuals: Every single shop in the game is run by one of these. The one running the church has a slightly different skin color in the original game and a different outfit in the remake.
- Pig Man: They are anthropomorphic pigs.
- Inexplicably Identical Individuals: Just like the pigs.
- The Medic: Heals you for a price.
- Secret Shop: Some of their doors are invisible, just to make staying alive that much harder. Lampshaded in the remake after they heal you.
- She's Got Legs: A very well-drawn pair in the remake.
- Token Human: In all versions besides the Game Gear's, they're the only non-hostile humans you meet.