Characters featured at the theme park Efteling and in its related franchises.
The Magical World of Pardoes / Symbolica
The mascot of Efteling, he is both a jester and a magician. He was created by designer Henny Knoet in 1989.
- Art Evolution: He and Pardijn started out cartoonish looking◊ but were redesigned to look more humanoid in mid 2005, when their background and universe were fleshed out and expanded upon.
- Adaptation Personality Change: Pardoes is portrayed in the 2011 series as brave, serious, and sometimes stern, while Pardoes in the park is also heroic, mischievous, playful, and energetic. This could be justified, since the 2011 series was a Prequel series.
- The Cameo: In the Studio 100 music video Yippee Yippee by K3. A plush version of Pardoes briefly appears in the song.
- Conveniently an Orphan: He was abandoned as a baby, and Aliciana took him in. He grew up as the jester of the Hartenhof, and learned the arts of magic under the teachings of Almar.
- Happy Harlequin Hat: As part of his jester outfit.
- The Jester: He is the jester of King Pardulfus' court.
- Took a Level in Badass: In the 2011 series, Pardoes is a lot more serious and is the protector of the kingdom.
- Keet: A very energetic character who loves messing and playing with guests for fun.
- Magical Clown: He happens to be a magician in addition to a jester.
- Never Bareheaded: Before the 2011 series, Pardoes was never seen without his harlequin hat and jester outfit. In Pardoes en de vele Veranderingen, it's revealed that Pardoes has brown hair and is mostly not seen wearing his jester outfit at home.
Pardoes' girlfriend and the daughter of King Pardulfus.
- Adaptational Attractiveness: Pardijn was always pretty looking in park merchandise. In the 2011 Pardoes TV series, her pink hair is designed after her park appearance.
- Age Lift: In the 2011 Pardoes TV series, she's a lot younger than her park counterpart.
- Ascended Extra: Pardijn used to only be seen in Efteling merchandise as the park's attempt to appeal to female guests before she become a meetable character starting in 2000. She also has a bigger role in the 2011 Pardoes TV series.
- Cool Crown: Her harlequin hat is topped by a crown.
- Deadpan Snarker: She's makes humorous snarky comments to Pardoes and the other royal members in the TV series.
- Distaff Counterpart: She was created in 1990 as this for Pardoes.
- Early Installment Character-Design Difference: Before her redesign in 2005, her old design almost looked the same as Pardoes◊. She also had three stuffed balls on her hat with a feather in the middle and her hat would sometimes be polka dotted in some merchandise instead of red.
- Everything's Better with Princesses: As she is the daughter of King Pardulfus. Since 2005, she's the princess of Harthenhof. However, she doesn't like princess duties and prefers to be free like Pardoes, as revealed on her character description on Efteling's website and the 2011 TV series.
- Happy Harlequin Hat: Hers is topped by a crown, and it has no bells.
- Pink Means Feminine: She wears mostly pink and purple outfits.
The king of Symbolica, who lives at the Hartenhof (Court of Hearts).
The protocol secretary of King Pardulfus.
- Ascended Extra: He started out as a minor character in the Pardoes/Symbolica universe with his introduction in the comics in 2007. Starting with the "Symbolica" ride in 2017, O.J. Punctuel is now a supporting character hosting the behind the scenes videos and the LPS ride Symbolica, showing up as a meetable character in the park and hosting some events. He even starred in his own music video in February 2019.
- The Comically Serious: He is very stern and serious with guests, which can cause amusing results. Even Pardoes likes messing with him, such as during the preshow for "Symbolica". During summer parties, he tries to resist dancing.
- Gratuitous Foreign Language: Inside the "Symbolica" ride, he can be heard speaking English, French or German between mostly Dutch sentences and words such as "The Palace Of Fantasy? No, no, no obey the rules" and "The King is always right, even if it comes to comparing oranges to lemons.".
- Hammy Herald: He is pretty hammy when announcing the king's invitation at the Hartenhof (Court of Hearts) to the guests within "Symbolica".
- Meaningful Name: Very fitting for someone who insists on his king's guests' punctuality.
- Perpetual Frowner: Is always seen frowning due to being very stern.
The advisor of King Pardulfus and the grand wizard of his court.
- Ascended Extra: Almar was a minor character but was given a supporting role in the 2011 live-action show "Pardoes" that aired on Nickelodeon in the Netherlands and given a minor role in the "Symbolica" ride. He also makes occasional meet and greet appearances in the park.
- The Consigliere: He is the main advisor of King Pardulfus.
- Court Mage: The grand wizard of Hartenhof, the Court of Hearts.
- In the Hood: His robe includes a hood.
- Mentor Archetype: He taught the arts of magic to Pardoes.
- Omnidisciplinary Scientist: Aside from studying and practicing magic, he is also an astronomer.
- Trademark Favorite Food: He loves Aliciana's blueberry pies.
- Wizard Beard: He has a long white beard.
- Wizard Classic: The only thing lacking is a pointed hat.
An evil sorcerer who was banned from the kingdom of Symbolica for practicing Black Magic.
- Arch-Enemy: To Pardoes.
- Beard of Evil: Sports a villainous goatee in his 2005 redesign.
- Big Bad: He was introduced in 2000 to serve as the main antagonist in the Pardoes/Symbolica universe, as well as in the TV series and comics. He also got a more threatening redesign in 2005.
- The Dark Arts: Practicing these got himself banned from the kingdom.
- Dark Is Evil: He dresses all in black.
- Evil Counterpart: To Almar, the wizard of King Pardulfus' court. And to Pardoes to some extent.
- Evil Sorcerer: A textbook example.
- Expy: He looks and acts a lot like a male version of Maleficent, not to mention his outcast background.
- Sinister Schnoz: He has a sinister hooked nose.
The former mascot of Efteling and main figure of the ride "Carnaval Festival".
- Abandoned Mascot: For a period in the 1980's, Jokie served as the mascot for the entire park, before being relegated to the "Carnaval Festival" ride, although he made a brief return under the spotlights for the park's 60th anniversary in 2012. He eventually got replaced by Pardoes as the main mascot for the park. Meanwhile, Kleine Boodschap and Langnek are still iconic enough to be secondary mascots for the park since the 1950's.
- The Bus Came Back: Vanished in the late 1980's when Pardoes become the current park mascot. He returned in 2012 with an animated TV series that aired on Nick Jr in the Netherlands and returned in the ride with a new female bird friend Jet. Jokie and Jet also have a stage show in front of the attraction.
- Happy Harlequin Hat: Part of his outfit.
- The Jester: Like his successor Pardoes, with an added clown nose.
- Kid-Appeal Character: He was designed to appeal to very young children.
- New Job as the Plot Demands: Changes job as the plot demands in his animated show.
- The Theme Park Version: "Carnaval Festival" is an 8-minutes trip around a theme park version of the world, with multitudes of Jokies reproducing easily recognizable clichés and National Stereotypes from each continent.
- Voice Grunting: In the animated series, Jokie is only heard laughing or gasping. In live performances in the park, he is able to speak full sentences.