The character sheet for Atelier Lulua.
Spoiler Policy forbids hiding trope names, so this page will contain spoilers!
Elmeluria "Lulua" Fryxell
Voiced by: Miyuri Shimabukuro
Rorona's daughter and the heroine of the game. Studying under Piana's tutelage, she aims to surpass her mother in alchemy. She is the only one who can understand the Alchemyriddle book.
- Alternate Timeline: She and Stia are the only characters seen in the parallel universe that the player's Lulua ventures to in the final chapter.
- Desperately Looking for a Purpose in Life: Her lack of a strong purpose in life leads to her crushing defeat by the bird Wind Stone at the end of Chapter 7, which prompts her to search for a meaning for her life. In Chapter 10, after she decides her purpose in life is to protect Stia and Arklys at all costs, she defeats Wind Stone, and the bird recognizes her resolve and strength.
- Hair Decorations: Lulua wears heart-shaped decorations in her hair.
- Happily Adopted: Lulua was already in her teens by the time Rorona adopted her* , having been an orphan who never knew her biological family. She's thus deeply grateful to Rorona for adopting her and proud to declare herself the daughter of the great alchemist Rorolina Frixell, and makes her affection and admiration for her mother very apparent every time they see each other.
- Magic Staff: Following Atelier tradition, Lulua wields a staff in combat.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Since childhood, she's had a strong love for curry.
- Undying Loyalty: Very quickly grows to show this toward Stia.
Voiced by: Kana Asumi
- Beware the Nice Ones: She's normally a very sweet, gentle girl, but on certain occasions she demonstrates that she shouldn't be trifled with:
- For a humorous example, when she sees Lulua attack Father Benon to read his diary, she doles out a special punishment which apparently involves a combination of spanking and lecturing for several hours.
- On a more serious note, when her biological family contacts her, Eva gives her mother a "The Reason You Suck" Speech, calling her out for abandoning her over an inheritance dispute only to try to take her back after it was solved.
- BFG: Her weapon is a huge cannon that's bigger than she is.
- Childhood Friend Romance: Of the "Unlucky Childhood Friend" subtype. Eva has known Lulua since she was very young, and it's heavily implied that she has feelings for her, but Lulua doesn't reciprocate.
- Family of Choice: Her events revolve around this trope. Having been an orphan for her whole life, she considers Father Benon and the children of the Armster orphanage to be her true family, even taking the orphanage's name as her own. When her biological mother offers to take her back, Eva refuses, calling her out for the selfish reason she had for abandoning her.
- Stance System: Can switch to a mode that increases her attack range, allowing her to hit multiple enemies.
Christoph Aurel Arland
Voiced by: Natsuki Hanae
- Blue Blood: He is a scion of the Arland royal family. The game makes this obvious by dropping his surname shortly after his introduction, but Lulua laughs it off as his family being fanatical patriots who'd go so far as to adopt the country's name as their own before eventually learning of his heritage.
- But for Me, It Was Tuesday: In one scene, he buys a sword for 100,000 Coll. When Lulua balks at the exorbitant price, he simply tells her it's not expensive at all as far as he's concerned.
- Defeat Means Friendship: He mellows out significantly toward Sterk after the latter defeats him in a duel and acknowledges his prowess, even being shown accepting coaching from him at the beach in a later CG.
- Real Men Take It Black: Even though Lulua assumes this of him it's actually averted. He can't stand coffee at all and likes his tea with extra sugar. Lulua teases him for this.
- To Be a Master: His goal is to become the strongest knight. Going deeper, his aim is to reclaim this title for House Arland from Sterk, who earned it after besting his uncle Gio in Atelier Meruru.
- Tsundere: Lulua considers him one, and often teases him for it.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: He and Lulua share many barbs while growing to be close friends over the course of their journey. He also often tries taking a slice out of Ficus when the magician says something that annoys him.
Voiced by: Kaoru Akiyama
- Big Damn Heroes: Is introduced to the story saving Lulua and Eva from a powerful monster outside the door to Fellsgalaxen.
- Can't Hold Her Liquor: In one scene, she accidentally consumes liquor and becomes severely inebriated, to the point where she starts hugging and kissing Lulua. What got her so drunk? Just a few liquor-filled chocolates, which have a very low alcohol content (to the point where underage people can legally buy them in many places).
- Rings of Death: Her weapon is a bladed ring which she can throw at enemies.
- The Teetotaler: Swore off alcohol after her first time drinking led to her getting completely black-out smashed.
Voiced by: Wataru Hatano
- Death Dealer: He attacks by throwing cards, fitting his Stage Magician getup.
- Friend to All Living Things: He loves all living beings, including monsters, and sometimes suggests a peaceful alternative to solving monster-related problems. Early on, he asks that the party avoid killing the puni causing trouble at the Arls-Arland checkpoint, and one of his events has him request an incense to drive away monsters without harming them.
- HeelFace Turn: He's actually Evil Face, the demon from the Eastern Continent whom Totori defeated in her home game. Now working under Mana, he finally breaks from his demon form with Lulua's help.
- Stage Magician: He is one of these, complete with top hat and deck of cards.
Nikodemus "Niko" David Dieter
Voiced by: Yoshitsugu Matsuoka
- Anchors Away: Wields two anchors as weapons.
- Bruiser with a Soft Center: Although he puts up the facade of a tough pirate, he's also driven to tears while reading a children's book.
- Draw Aggro: Brave Stance forces enemies to target him. Combined with Iron Shell, he can act as a tank for the party.
Rorolina "Rorona" Frixell
Voiced by: Mai Kadowaki
- Anti-Mentor: She left the job of teaching Lulua alchemy to Piana, despite being one of the most talented alchemists in Arland. It turns out that it's not that Rorona doesn't want to teach Lulua alchemy, but she's so bad at teaching and explaining that Lulua would be better off learning from alchemists more suited to teaching like Piana and Totori. (To wit, Rorona's attempt at teaching Lulua to make a basic plain pie still results in a very confused and flustered Lulua.)
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: She retains her love for pie and her penchant for emotional immaturity, but she's known as one of the most accomplished alchemists in Arland and is beloved by the populace for helping everyone there. In addition, being in her thirties now, she shows a much deeper penchant for introspective Hidden Depths than before, having grown into the role of a mother and mentor to Lulua.
- Legendary in the Sequel: Rorona had already amassed a good amount of respect by the time of Totori and Meruru, but when Lulua visits Arland it becomes apparent that the townsfolk absolutely adores Rorona for all the work she's done for them. Wild even refuses to have Lulua pay for any of her meals at his cafe, simply because Rorona had done so much for his master.
- Missing Mom: Though certainly not deceased, she's so constantly busy that she's not there to be with her daughter very often, instead leaving Piana as her effective caretaker and alchemy teacher. Once Lulua travels to Arland herself, though, she does manage to find the time to join the party as a traveling member and spends the rest of the game bonding with her daughter.
- This also applies to Lulua's biological parents, as she grew up an orphan (it's unclear what happened to them, and whether Lulua herself even knows).
- Took a Level in Badass: Her arc with Sterk revolves around her having done this since her game, as he still has a deeply-ingrained compulsion to try and keep her from danger under the worry that she can't handle it. It culminates in them going to face Suni Sterm — the same dragon that had previously thoroughly terrified Rorona and would have killed her if not for Sterk's intervention — and Rorona proving that she can take him on as an equal to Sterk in combat.
Sterkenburg "Sterk" Cranach
Voiced by: Jurota Kosugi
- Big Damn Heroes: He and Totori save Lulua and her party from getting maimed by a dragon outside Orthogalaxen at the end of Chapter 3.
- It's All My Fault: He's shown to be wracked with guilt over the time he had to save Rorona from getting maimed by a dragon in Atelier Rorona, an event which left him with a large scar on his back. His and Rorona's shared character arc is resolved when Rorona assuages his feelings and strong-arms her way into fighting another dragon alongside him.
- Older Than They Look: Is 46 years old, but aside from some wrinkles near his eyes still looks like a twenty-something bishonen.
- The Rival: Serves as this to the up-and-coming Aurel who wants to reclaim the title of Strongest Knight from him after he claimed the title after a duel with his uncle Gio. After a duel of their own, where Sterk defeats Aurel, he is shown coaching the young scion of the Arland royal family.
Totooria "Totori" Helmold
Voiced by: Kaori NazukaThe protagonist of Atelier Totori. An alchemist almost as skilled as Rorona, and Piana's alchemy teacher.
- Big Damn Heroes: Shares a moment of this with Sterk when the two save Lulua from a dragon at the end of Chapter 3.
- Downloadable Content: DLC makes her playable.
- Giver of Lame Names: The Chims aren't very happy with the names Totori gave them. Chim Dragon even wishes he could change his name.
- Spell Book: Her weapon of choice as a DLC character. Interestingly, in her CG scene with Sterk, she's shown using the trademark Atelier protagonist staff.
Merurulince "Meruru" Rede Arls
Voiced by: Satomi AkesakaThe protagonist of Atelier Meruru. A princess who has been relieved of her royal duties following her kingdom's annexation into the Arland Republic, she now spends her time travelling around.
- Downloadable Content: DLC makes her playable.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Taking inspiration from her Uncle Gio, Meruru now runs around slaying monsters as "Masked M". Somehow, her costume (which literally consists of her regular clothes plus a small ballroom mask) manages to fool everyone, including Lulua.
- Passing the Torch: She passes the recipe for the Ice Cascade Bomb on to Lulua, just as her aunt Sofra passed the recipe on to her.
Voiced by: Yuuko SanpeiA chim who grew to the size of a normal homonculus. He acts as Piana and Lulua's assistant, and runs a store with wholesale and restocking functions.
- Not So Stoic: He's normally emotionless, but occasionally shows signs of emotion during his events, culminating in him giving a passionate speech about his love for pie after Lulua catches him laughing while eating pie.
- The Workaholic: As a homonculus, Chim Dragon exists to serve his masters, though Lulua does sometimes get worried about him pushing himself too hard.
Voiced by: Kenjiro TsudaFather Benon is the owner of the Armster orphanage. He is an excessively hard-working, yet kind and gentle man who is totally dedicated to preserving the orphanage.
- Friend to All Children: This is pretty much a requirement for anyone who runs an Orphanage of Love like he does. Benon truly loves all of the children he's looking after.
- Papa Wolf: He is willing to fight to protect his children, as shown during an event where monsters attack the orphanage. Not surprising, considering how he used to be a famous adventurer."Get out... Get away from them! I'll never let you hurt one hair on any of my children!"
- Retired Badass: Benon used to be a famous adventurer known as "Benon of the Black Steel". However, he grew tired of adventuring and decided to instead renovate the Arklys orphanage and settle down.
- The Workaholic: On top of looking after the children of the orphanage, taking care of the building itself, and running a shop, Benon also often takes on requests to earn some extra funds.
Voiced by: Kei ShindouPreviously a shy puppeteer who traveled with Rorona, she has grown up and now runs a tavern where Lulua can take on requests.
- Character Development: Used to be a Shrinking Violet back in Atelier Rorona, but is now bold enough to run her own business.
Mimi Houllier von Schwarzlang
Voiced by Yuka IguchiBorn to a family of nobles, Mimi is the best friend and bodyguard of Totori.
Voiced by: Yuki Iwabuchi
A friend of Meruru. She was previously a maid tasked with keeping Arls Castle tidy, but has since been promoted to a government official. She runs a desk in Town Hall where Lulua can accept requests.
Voiced by: Yui KondouA girl from the Arklys orphanage.
- Benevolent Boss: Acts as one toward Ficus, whom she has tasked with keeping watch over Lulua. She even tells him he's free to do whatever he wishes to after she transfers her authorities to Stia.
- Gone Horribly Wrong: She mentions in a DLC that when one of the ruins was destroyed, she ended up malfunctioning and wreaked havoc upon the dungeon. It was not until Meruru and her party beaten her up that she was able to return her senses.
- Robot Girl: All Operators are ancient robots.
- Older Than They Look: Her apparent age is listed as 12 in the guidebook. In reality, she is the operator of Orthogalaxen, and so is hundreds of years old; after all, she and Stia go back a long time.
- Signature Laugh: Regularly lets out a loud, distinctive bark-like laugh.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior: Throughout the game, Mana behaves in a way that suggests that she's not exactly the sweet orphan girl she seems to be (for example, she shows up in the middle of a field full of monsters at one point). This hints at how she's not actually a child, but an Operator.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: She's introduced to the story making fun of Lulua for panicking while fighting a Puni, and regularly appears in dangerous places despite Eva's scolding. However, she often says profound, cryptic things to Lulua that you wouldn't expect from a 12-year old. Subverted when she reveals that she's the ancient operator of the Orthogalaxen ruins and truly does know much more about Arland's ancient history and how they relate to Lulua's ambitions than her appearance would suggest.
- Worthy Opponent: Says "Just as expected" when Lulua and company defeat her in her Machine of God form.
Voiced by: Rie KugimiyaThe operator of Fellsgalaxen. Although she's not used to other people, she quickly becomes one of Lulua's best friends.
- Alternate Timeline: She and Lulua are the only characters seen in the parallel universe that the player's Lulua ventures to in the final chapter.
- And I Must Scream: She was trapped alone in a room in Fellsgalaxen for hundreds of years until Lulua blew up the door.
- Emotionless Girl: She is unfamiliar with the subtleties of human expression.
- Ojou: Her appearance and manner of speech are meant to invoke this.
- Older Than They Look: Her apparent age is listed as 17 in the guidebook. In reality, she is the operator of Fellsgalaxen, and has been alone inside for hundreds of years when Lulua finds her after blowing up the door to the ruins.
- Robot Girl: Looks like a cute girl, but is actually a Ridiculously Human Robot. When she gets "sick", the "medicine" to cure her is more like a set of gears that you replace in her body.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Lulua quickly gets her hooked on curry after taking her home to her atelier from Fellsgalaxen.
Voiced by: Larissa Tago TakedaA traveller who's also a fangirl for famous adventurer. Can be found selling items in certain fields.
- Fangirl: Obsesses over famous adventurers, and has a book full of their autographs.