Due to our spoiler policy, some spoilers may be unmarked in trope names.
Totooria Helmold (Totori)
Voiced by: Kaori Nazuka (JP), Cassandra Lee (EN)Protagonist of the game. She is Rorona's first and only student in alchemy. She's weak and not very smart but alchemy has given her more confidence in herself. Decides to become an adventurer in order to find her mother.
- Big "WHAT?!": Because she didn't know that Pamela was already dead since the beginning at the time, this was her shocked reaction when Rorona nonchalantly suggested that they use Pamela as the human sacrifice needed to access an area in a later part of the game. Hilariously enough, she reacts with this again when Pamela agrees to it, and again when Pamela reveals her ghostly form to her.
- Brutally Honest
- Childhood Friends: With Gino.
- Cry Cute: She cries a few times in the game, and while one was a Tearjerker, the other led to a heartwarming moment between her and Ceci.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Not nearly as bad as her Teacher, but her friends and sister often mention how clumsy she is. She'll also randomly trip while running around town every so often.
- Cuteness Proximity: Towards the Chims.
- Giant Waist Ribbon
- Girly Run
- Gray Eyes
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Not to bad self-esteem levels, but she turns down compliments directed towards her whenever she hears of them. It's something she inherited from Rorona.
- Hero Worship: Towards Rorona who she sees as amazing.
- Meaningful Name: Totooria Helmold. Later in the game, she gets a ship of her own, making her a helmswoman.
- The Mentor: Like how Rorona was one to her, she becomes Meruru's personal alchemy teacher in Atelier Meruru.
- Nice Girl: It wouldn't be a stretch to say that she's the nicest girl in the game.
- Nice Hat: As with all Atelier Series heroines.
- Only Sane Man: Acts as the most normal of the main characters in her game. Unless, of course, it concerns the Chims. Unfortunately for her, combined with her Nice Girl status, this only turns her into a Butt-Monkey in some scenarios.
- She Is All Grown Up: She's 19 in Atelier Meruru. That saying, even with the wardrobe change, she doesn't look like she's aged much, unlike Rorona and her friends.
- Simple Staff: Like Rorona, this is her main weapon of choice. Interestingly, the staff she uses was given to her by Rorona.
- Sins of Our Fathers: Once Cordelia finds out that Totori is Gisela's daughter, she is very tempted to take out all of her frustration at Gisela on Totori. Sterk also warns her not to casually tell people of her lineage (along with the fact that she's also Rorona's student) for that same reason.
- Trauma-Induced Amnesia: Back when she was very young, after hearing Guid saying her mother died, she cried for a week, until she lost all her memories of what presumably happened to her mother, even her father's original job as a shipwright.
- True Blue Femininity: Her default outfit in Atelier Meruru.
- "Well Done, Daughter!" Girl: A teacher-student example with Rorona, who she admires and whose approval she seeks. This comes to a head when Piana proves to be a better alchemy student than Totori ever was under Rorona's tutelage.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Gains a Grade B in Atelier Meruru. Also gains a Grade A in the outfit she wears in Mimi's ending.
Voiced by: Yuko Sanpei (JP)Totori's childhood friend. He wishes to become the world's greatest adventurer and drags Totori along with him. Tends to be hyper and very loud.
- Adorkable: Just watch him when he executes his super moves.
- Always Save the Girl: Feels this way regarding Totori. Which is why losing to her wounds him deeply, though it brings them closer in the end.
- Bishōnen: It really shows once he's grown up.
- Childhood Friends: with Totori
- Crossdressing Voices: In the Japanese dub. Even as an adult.
- She Is All Grown Up: He Is All Grown Up]]: He's 20 in Atelier Meruru: The Apprentice of Arland.
- Heroes Prefer Swords
- Innocently Insensitive: All the time. He doesn't seem to have any concept that people don't like being called old or weak or other derogatory terms (unless he does).
- Older and Wiser: He's a lot more level-headed and less impulsive in Atelier Meruru.
- Platonic Life-Partners: After Totori left to teach Meruru, he became Mimi's adventuring partner.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Wears a pink shirt in Atelier Meruru.
- Ship Tease: Gets loads with Totori in his ending and character events.
- Throwing Your Sword Always Works: Despite being "thrown" as a result of tripping and dropping it during his final super move, it works quite well and can easily dish out 4-digit damage.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Mimi in the third game.
Voiced by: Ryoko Shintani (JP)Ceci's childhood friend and adventurer mentor to Totori. Despite her looks, she is abnormally strong and powerful
- Action Girl: She's an adventurer.
- An Axe to Grind: Uses an axe roughly her size.
- Boobs of Steel: In brute physical strength only, she is possibly the strongest person in the country. She's also the bustiest.
- Childhood Friends: With Ceci and Peter
- Cool Big Sis: To Totori and Gino, they even call her Mel-oneechan in the Japanese dub.
- Crutch Character: In the beginning of the game she has the most HP and takes very little damage from the enemies surrounding Alanya. Without her, Totori and Gino wouldn't be able to handle a good deal of exploration first.
- Ms. Fanservice: Along with Pamela, she's the only one gleefully showing herself off during the beauty contest.
- Muscles Are Meaningless: She doesn't look all that muscular, but she can life a dinosaur with ease.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Her Limit Break has her throw aside her axe in favor of beating up the target with her bare hands.
- Skinship Grope: Does this to virtually every female she meets.
- Stripperific: It's telling that during one of her specials her very tiny skirt reveals she's wearing black panties.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Tomboy to Ceci's girly girl.
Mimi Houllier von SchwarzlangAn aristocrat who wishes to become a famous adventurer to bring pride to her family name. She's prideful, snooty, and tends to be quite selfish, but she has a good heart.
- Action Girl
- Blade on a Stick: Her Weapon of Choice is a spear.
- Foil: To Cordelia. Both of them are tsundere aristocrats, yet while Mimi views the title as something important that warrants immediate respect, Cordelia thinks nothing much of it. Mimi knows in her heart that the title actually means nothing— after all it can be bought. But when she was bullied as a child, her mother told her that if it got her down, to just remind herself that she's an aristocrat. She clung to the title fiercely because if she accepted the reality of its worthlessness, then what her mother said would be meaningless.
- Hair Decorations
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Lady of War: She obviously wants to be one and has the aesthetic down in combat. She's still a bit too immature to really pull it off, though.
- Platonic Life-Partners: After Totori left to teach Meruru, she became Gino's adventuring partner.
- She Is All Grown Up: She's 20 in Atelier Meruru.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Combined with Older and Wiser, she's a lot nicer in Atelier Meruru and her Tsundere tendencies are downplayed.
- Tsundere: While she is a natural tsundere, it tends to be even worse when it comes to Totori.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Gino in the third game.
- Who Wears Short Shorts?
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade A. Would be a Grade S if she had Girlish Pigtails.
MarcA scientist living in Arland.
- For Science!: His main motivation for everything.
- Friend to All Children: To the point where he's saddened that not all children seem to be fond of him and his robots.
- Mad Scientist: While not particularly dangerous, he certainly fits the 'mad' part.
- Rocket Punch: His main attack
- Troll: He loves to tease Totori.
Cecilia Helmold (Ceci)
Voiced by: Asami Imai (JP), Cristina Valenzuela (EN)Totori's elder sister. Since their mother disappeared, she's taken charge of the household. She was initially opposed to Totori becoming an adventurer, but she eventually relented, though she still doesn't approve much.
- Beware the Nice Ones
- Combination Attack: If Totori uses an attack item, Ceci can join in to double its effectiveness.
- Cool Big Sis: She tries and succeeds most of the time.
- Childhood Friends: With Melvia and Peter.
- Crutch Character: Averted. Since she can't actually be recruited until near the end of the game, she starts of at Level 50 when first unlocked. Once she is, she can be recruited at any time on any other file, where she starts back at Level 1.
- Cuteness Proximity: She becomes this when she sees Chim and Piana.
- Dude Magnet: One of the reasons Gerhard hires her is because guys come to the store just to be around her.
- Hair Decorations
- Improbable Weapon User: In her DLC, she uses a feather duster as her Weapon of Choice.
- Never Gets Drunk: She single-handedly drank almost all the beer Gerhard had in his tavern, and other than having a flushed face, still acts the same, and still wants more. Gerhard is not amused as its his treat.
- Promotion to Parent: Even though their father is still alive, Ceci is pretty much like a mother to Totori. It doesn't help that their father is mostly useless.
- Promoted to Playable: As Downloadable Content in the original game and programmed into the game in Plus, but can't actually be recruited until Melvia's ending flag is triggered on any file.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Girly Girl to Melvia's Tomboy.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: She cooks, cleans, and has a normally sweet demeanor.
Voiced by: Kenji Hamada (JP), Kyle Hebert (EN)Totori and Ceci's father. He tends to be very quiet and calm, to the point people tend to not notice him when he's in a room. Spends most of his time fishing.
- Good Parents
- He's Back: After Totori declares that his ship will never sink, which sparks his memories of Gisela's firm declaration of the same thing, his gaze becomes sharper and he becomes much more expressive. When he gets to actually pilot the ship in Mel's ending, he's like a little kid.
- Older Than He Looks: Looks quite young for a father of two teenage girls.
Gisela HelmoldA famous adventurer and mother of Ceci and Totori. She disappeared years ago during an adventure and everyone has assumed the worst about her except for Totori, who goes looking for her.
- Action Mom: She fought back a devil that an entire nation worked to get sealed twice.
- Broke Your Arm Punching Out Cthulhu: She manages to fight both the Flaushtraut and the devil to "a draw"; the former leaving her boatless and stranded, the second on her deathbed. And, in the first case, she was only defeated because her ship sank. Had that not happened, she very likely would have won.
- Dead All Along: Subverted. You find her grave at the Frontier Village and learn that she died from her injuries after fighting the Evil Face. However, the true ending reveals that she survived thanks to Astrid's help.
- Determinator: Singlehandedly taking on two of the game's major bosses, still on her feet after starving and drifting for two weeks, and recovering from near-death in 8 years when she was told it would take 50.
- Hero with Bad Publicity: Everyone has pointed out she's rather brash, insults others, and causes problems everywhere she goes, but no one has any doubt that she was the best adventurer of the time.
- Hoist by Her Own Petard: The only reason the Flaushtraut sunk her ship was because it attacked the part she had secretly helped build, giving it a massive weak point.
- Never Found the Body: The true end reveals that she's still alive due to a "glasses lady" saving her shortly after she was put out to sea.
Filly DeeA receptionist at the adventurers guild. She gives out quests to Totori when Totori is in Arland. Incredibly shy, she was forced to become a receptionist when her older sister Esty (from Atelier Rorona) suddenly quit.
- Ambiguously Bi: The ambiguous part is pretty much thrown out the window if she wins the beauty contest.note However, in the third game, she mentions that she hopes to be swept off her feet by a handsome prince someday.
- Butt-Monkey: A lot of events involve situations that don't end well for her.
- Hair Decorations
- Proper Tights With Skirt
- Shrinking Violet
- Yuri Fan
Voiced by: Hidehiro Kikuchi (JP), Johnny Yong Bosch (EN)The carriage driver in Alanya.
- All Love Is Unrequited: His crush on Ceci.
- Cannot Spit It Out: His feelings for Ceci.
- Childhood Friends: With Ceci and Melvia.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Gino calls him a pansy. Even Totori starts calling him this when his Lazy Bum tendencies go overboard.
- Lazy Bum
GerhardThe owner of the local tavern and an old friend of Guid's.
PianaA young girl residing in the frozen Frontier Village.
- Cheerful Child
- The Cutie
- Hair of Gold
- Happily Adopted: Gets adopted by the Helmold family by the end of the game.
- Token Mini-Moe