Character sheet for Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk.
open/close all folders
Voiced by: Marina Inoue (JP), Erika Harlacher (EN)The main heroine of the game. Ayesha is an apothecary whose family has been creating herbal medicine for generations. She can seem to be quite air-headed, but she has a real talent for synthesis.
- A God I Am Not: In the true ending, Sage's Hermitage, Ayesha is worshiped as a goddess by adoring townsfolk, but she doesn't like the attention, feeling that she is still just a normal apothecary.
- Adorkable: She gets very flustered and embarrassed whenever someone complements her looks, which as you can imagine, happens a lot.
- Alliterative Name: Ayesha Altugle
- The Apprentice: Subverted, to Keith at first.
- Badass Normal: As you'd expect of the main character, she can hold her own in battle. She does it completely without magic, instead brewing up assorted death to pack into her handbasket ahead of time.
- Badass Adorable: And she's cute as a button and hopelessly adorable through it all.
- Can't Hold Her Liquor: In her own words, she gets drunk off the scent of alcohol alone.
- Cool Big Sis: To Nio.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Several female characters remark on how beautiful she is.
- Genius Ditz: Ayesha may be a bit slow at times, but she can read ancient languages, has expansive knowledge about plants, and can successfully synthesize items just through rough guesses and estimates.
- This gets exaggerated in the ending "Sage's Hermitage", able to "find success in every field" while keeping that same old personality.
- The Gift: It's noted one needs natural talent to use alchemy.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Her flowing locks as radiant as her heart of kindess.
- Jumped at the Call: The moment Keithgriff explains that there's a chance for her to save Nio, she leaves to study alchemy.
- The Name Is Bond, James Bond: How she introduces herself. "I'm Ayesha. Ayesha Altugle. And I'm an apothecary."
- Nice Girl: One of the nicest people you'll met.
- Oblivious to Love: She repeatedly fails to notice Fred's obvious crush on Marietta.
- Security Blanket: Mentions she feels restless without her cauldron.
- Simple Staff: Her melee attack.
- Talking in Your Sleep: According to Juris.
Voiced by: Mariya Ise (JP), Kira Buckland (EN)Ayesha's younger sister, whose mysterious disappearance drives the plot of the game.
- An Astral Projection, Not a Ghost: Her state throughout the majority of the game.
- The Beastmaster: Uses Pana (Ayesha's cow) to assist in some offensive attacks.
- Cute Ghost Girl: She arrives when flowers glows for some time before subsequently disappears. As it turns out, it was subverted
- Genki Girl: She's very energetic.
- Improbable Weapon User: Uses kitchen utensils, like ladles or spatulas.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: The amount of energy she has after you save her is ridiculous. Then she gets strong enough to fight off monsters on her own.
- Walking Spoiler: What's happened to her is the central plot, so she naturally falls into here.
- White Magician Girl: The closest the game has to one.
Voiced by: Joji Nakata (JP), Richard Epcar (EN)A passing alchemist who seems to hold the answers to Nio's disappearance. Keithgriff acts as the experienced and cynical counterpoint to Ayesha's naivety and optimism, having travelled far across the world and gained incredible knowledge along the way.
- Adventurer Archaeologist: He takes to exploring ruins in his time.
- All Your Powers Combined: His Special move, Ancient One.
- Anti-Hero: He has a bounty on his head for a very good reason: he single-handedly destroyed numerous alchemy labs in Marion's home country, disgusted at their hubris.
- Badass Bookworm: Spends most of his time studying. His pet peeve is being interrupted.
- The Cynic: He believes that humans are generally not good and hide themselves behind a mask; Ayesha refuses to accept this when she says it but agrees to come with him to see things for her own eyes.
- Cynical Mentor: To Ayesha.
- The Drifter: Wanders around from place to place, partly due to his criminal background.
- Easily Forgiven: From Ayesha when they met again in Zweiterum, after he pwned her in Hallos Village.
- Knight In Sour Armor: His refusal to help Ayesha may seem harsh, but he has reasons: he comes from a country that had just started to rediscover alchemy. Over time, he grew to loathe how most "alchemists" were simply following instructions without any real knowledge of the processes involved, or even any desire to understand. Seeing this as extreme hubris and a certain path to self-annihilation, he refuses to explain the answer to Ayesha and instead pressures her to learn the fundamentals of alchemy first.
- Knight Templar: He has a valid point about the abuse of alchemy, but he's declared himself the judge, jury and executioner (metaphorically speaking) of all alchemy practitioners...including Ayesha, who was taught the practice long before Keithgriff showed up. Rather than educate his fellow would-be alchemists, he lost his temper and went on a rampage.
- While his motives appear fairly sound, the outcome looks like the MO of a villain : a world where only he, as some kind of enlightened being, is allowed access to potentially dangerous knowledge.
- Pet the Dog: To Odella, in the canon ending, he becomes Odella's master.
- Real Men Hate Sugar: He loathes sweets.
- Seeker Archetype: He fits the mold, seeking out knowledge at any cost and caring little for what stands in his way.
- Smoking Is Cool: Rarely seen without a smoke. He states it's to calm his nerves.
- Teleportation: He does this with his rings somehow to bring Ayesha to the library.
- Tsundere: Referred to as such in the bonus materials.
Voiced by: Fumie Mizusawa (JP), Wendee Lee (EN)A prospector working out of the ruined town of Riesengang, and Ayesha's best friend. She is a cheerful and outgoing lass whose physical strength and grit exceeds that of every other prospector in her town.
- Ambiguously Gay: Her love of feeling up Ayesha and praising how perfect her body is seems to go beyond just teasing. She even offers to marry her, albeit it was said in passing.
- Babies Ever After: Her ending. Subverted, for the kids she was taking care of were her niece and her youngest sister.
- Bare Your Midriff: Her outfit leaves her stomach area completely exposed.
- Cool Big Sis: Treats Ayesha like an younger sibling. Same with Nio.
- Cute Bruiser: She works in the mines, yet looks cute enough to pass as a young girl.
- Flirtatious Smack on the Ass: Regina mentions this to be a problem when she started prospecting, and would promptly retaliate with a beating, but now they stopped treating her like a girl.
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: Loves the boss's booze.
- Massive Numbered Siblings: Has six younger siblings to look out for.
- Multicolored Hair: Her hair looks to turn blond near the end.
- Muscle Angst: Of the feminine "too much muscle" variety. Lampshaded in her level up quote.Feels like my muscles... I mean, I'm gonna pretend I felt nothing at all!
- Older Than They Look: She's twenty-three.
- One of the Boys: One of the few female prospectors and the only one the male prospectors respect.
- Powerful Pick: Weapon of Choice.
- Smoke Out: She does this for her Back Attack.
- Throw Down the Bomblet: Her Flare Blast and Rock Blast techniques.
- Blinded by the Light: The first of which also has a chance of blinding them.
- Textile Work Is Feminine: She's the one who taught Ayesha to cook and Nio to sew.
- Tomboy: Goes without saying.
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak: She's also very good at feminine activities like clothing design and cooking.
- Turn Out Like His Father: She became a prospector like her father after he couldn't work anymore.
Voiced by: Asami Seto (JP), Cristina Valenzuela (EN)A witch-in-training who befriends Ayesha due to the shared origins of magic and alchemy. Wilbell can be bratty, impulsive and a bit of a schemer, but she has a good heart.
- Bewitched Amphibians: Threatens to be able to do this to Ayesha if she spills about her being a witch.
- Black Magician Girl: Natch.
- Crystal Ball: Uses one to communicate with her Great-Great-Grandmother.
- Cute Witch: Witches use magic by extracting power from a catalyst or by making contracts with beings of power. Being young and magical, she fits it perfectly.
- Hard Work Hardly Works: She thinks she can use this trope to her advantage. Her great-great-grandmother won't have any of it.
- Having a Blast: Her Pumpkin Bomb technique has her create a magical pumpkin bomb to do this.
- Nice Hat: The official website says that "it's hard not to notice her hat".
- The Nose Knows: She can pick up the smells of catalysts and candy from Ayesha when they first meet, which left her mistaking her for a witch.
- The Not Secret: She tries to hide the fact that she's not a witch, but mentions magic and witchcraft on such a regular basis, you'd wonder if she was trying to hide it at all.
- Projectile Spell: Her standard attack.
- Rapunzel Hair: As shown in Escha & Logy and Shallie.
- Sweet Tooth: One of her defining features. One of the first things she does when she meets Ayesha is ask for candy.
- Summon Magic: Level her up enough, she was able to summon a dragon and an elemental.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Wants to be acknowledged as a full-fledged witch by her great-great-grandmother.
Voiced by: Ami Koshimizu (JP), Julie Ann Taylor (EN)The bodyguard to Marion Quinn. Linca is utterly dedicated to the art of fighting- to the point where she is absolutely hopeless at anything else- and has trouble acting on her own initiative.
- Artificial Human: It is implied that she is some kind of combat homunculus that was mass-produced by a criminal organisation in Marion's country. Marion is trying to rehabilitate her.
- BFS: She uses massive sword easily her own height.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: Not shown in-game, but tells Ayesha she has no qualms fighting in the nude after Clothing Damage or removing her clothes in a few skits.
- Kicking Ass in All Her Finery: Deconstructed. She does not care for it, feeling (quite accurately) that it is completely lacking in defensive capability when compared to something like full-plate. In fact, the outfit is so ill-suited for battle that it tears all the time and she has an entire wardrobe of identical replacement outfits which get sent in bulk every month from their home country. However, she continues to wear it on Marion's orders, who feels it looks cute on her. She also does not like her (feminine) long hair, as she believes it gets in the way during battle. (See Long Hair Is Feminine, below.)
- Lady of War: Ayesha describes her as this, though Linca wishes she didn't have that appearance.
- Lethal Chef: And even Ayesha's cooking lessons do not help, as Linca takes her instructions too literally and applies them to every dish she makes, not just the specific one it was applicable to.
- Limited Wardrobe: Wears what Marion sets out of her.
- Literal-Minded: She takes things literally.
- Long Hair Is Feminine: Literally the only reason that Marion insists on Linca's current hairstyle. (Linca herself hates it, feeling that it gets in the way during battle.)
- No Social Skills: She doesn't make friends easily since she doesn't know how to communicate well.
- Primal Fear: She is afraid of heights.
Voiced by: Kosuke Toriumi (JP), Patrick Seitz (EN)An experienced huntsman who prefers to act as a lone wolf. He is the brother of Nanaca Gruden, and accompanies her to protect her newborn herd. Despite his gruff and intimidating appearance, Juris is quite friendly once he opens up and occasionally lets slip a more immature side of himself.
- The Big Guy: Of the group. He's strong enough to move a giant rock on his own.
- Bow and Sword, in Accord: The latter's more of a knife, but it fits.
- Childhood Friends: With Kyle.
- The Comically Serious: He does everything with a straight face.
- Does Not Like Spam: Can't stand spicy food.
- Dragon Slayer: His family is tied into it as fate.
- Due to the Dead: To the White Wolf. He protected its dignity by burying it after killing it, after it was made a spectacle in the plaza.
- Eat That: He will eat anything that has nutritional value, even bugs.
- Face of a Thug: Noted for having a scary face, even when trying to smile.
- He Cleans Up Nicely: He sure does◊.
- Real Men Cook: As he explains, a hunter who doesn't know how to cook isn't a hunter.
- Ship Tease: Quite a few with Ayesha in his character events.
- Stealth Hi/Bye: Manages to pull this off on Ayesha and his sister due to subconciously hiding his presence.
- What Is This Feeling?: In regards to his relationship with Ayesha the further you get into his events.
Voiced by: Noriaki Sugiyama (JP), Bryce Papenbrook (EN)A traveling merchant who acts as the main distributor of Ayesha's medicine. As the only recurring adult figure in her life, he has become her de facto guardian and constantly worries about her.
- Connected All Along: Because he's a merchant, he already knows several characters Ayesha meets, like Nanaca and Tanya.
- Cool Big Bro: He acts like one to Ayesha and Nio. Ayesha even notes how similar Ernie acts like a mother.
- Like Brother and Sister: How he sees their relationship.
- Humble Goal: Wants to open a store of his own.
- Nice Guy: Very nice.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: A male version.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: A downplayed version with Ranun, as he tries to get the latter to get off his ass and work. The two simply have opposing views of the world.
Voiced by: Satomi Sato (JP), Carrie Savage (EN)A merchant who works as the main saleswoman at "Black Cat's Path" in Vierzeberg. Marietta is a spunky young woman who takes great pride in her work, and enjoys teasing others (especially cute and/or easily flustered girls like Ayesha).
- Deadpan Snarker: Particular towards Harry in the Treasure Contests.
- The Gadfly: As Ayesha learns. Ernie too.
- Has a Type: She likes ruggedly handsome and stunning men, like Keithgriff.
Voiced by: Mitsuaki Madono (JP), Ray Chase (EN)The main financial force in Vierzeberg, Harry is an eccentric individual who prides himself on being a collector of all things rare and valuable. As the owner of a number of stores in Vierzeberg (including the Black Cat's Path), Harry is one of the most powerful individuals in the city.
- Big Ego, Hidden Depths: He's very boastful, but his actions are largely to the benefit of others.
- Hidden Heart of Gold: Long ago, when Vierzeberg is in an economic peril, he nearly bankrupted himself to help the citizens from starvation. He generosity is also the reason why Fred decided to become a baker in the first place.
- Large Ham: His introduction can only be described as flamboyant by Ayesha.
- The Rival: Declares himself to be Ayesha's in the final treasure contest if she's won every single one beforehand.
- Wealthy Philanthropist: He's rich but does what he can to help others.
Voiced by: Kana Ueda (JP), Michelle Ruff (EN)A researcher/diplomat from a far-away country who was sent to gather preliminary information on the various ruins in the area in preparation for a larger investigation. Though hard-working, Marion constantly bemoans the bureaucracy that saddles her with unreasonable work and deadlines. She can become a party member through DLC.
- Badass Bureaucrat: Despite being swamped in paperwork and filing reports, Marion totes a pair of guns and is quite skilled at using them. In fact, she partook in the battle where her government went on against the organization Linca is from and captured her. Linca even admits in a one-on-one fight she will lose to Marion.
- Cuteness Proximity: Linca mentions Marion has a weakness for cute things when she first sees a Fruit Hamster and squees over it.
- Facepalm: She often uses this gesture when something frustrates or upsets her.
- Guns Akimbo: Her weapon of choice is dual wielding pistols.
- Gun Kata: One of her skills and her special move involves this with a bit of Pinball Projectile.
- I'll Pretend I Didn't Hear That: She and Linca ultimately decide not to pursue Keithgriff while he's traveling with Ayesha because he's helping to save Nio.
- Throw-Away Guns: After each attack she throws away her pistols and takes out new ones.
Voiced by: Taiki Matsuno (JP), Johnny Yong Bosch (EN)A wandering bard who plays the bagpipes. He is constantly hungry because he refuses to hold down a job or perform for money, feeling that those activities dampen his creative muse. However, despite his flakiness, his bardic studies have granted him a vast knowledge of ancient culture and language. He is also surprisingly versed in astronomy and the mathematics required to calculate the date of an eclipse.
- Cloudcuckoolander: His head is in the clouds constantly.
- Everything's Louder with Bagpipes: He plays these pretty well, according to Ayesha.
- Idiot Savant: Possesses little to no survival skills, largely relying on people finding him after he collapses out of hunger. He's noted to be a fantastic musician however.
- Lazy Bum: He balks at the thought of working.
- Long Game: His goal is to leave behind a song that will persist long after he dies.
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis: Ranun treats Ernie as this; he acts rather antagonistic towards him for trying to make him work.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: A downplayed version with Ernie.
- Wandering Minstrel: He's a wandering musician and poet.
Voiced by: Asuka Ogame (JP), Wendee Lee (EN)A cowgirl who wanders throughout the region with her herd of cows. Nanaca may seem slow, but she is an outstanding cowgirl and somehow manages to wind up in the most nonsensical of places.
- Cowgirl: Her job is to tend to the cows of her village and herd them around.
- Proper Lady: Very feminine in her speech and how she carries herself.
- Speak of the Devil: "Speak of the Angel" is more like it, but she always appears when Ayesha is thinking of her.
- Textile Work Is Feminine: She can sew and does so to make a cloth for Ayesha once befriended.
Voiced by: Tetsu Inada (EN), Jamieson Price (EN)A baker who opens up a store in Vierzeberg. Fred is completely obsessed with bread, seeing it as the ultimate foodstuff, and his dream is to run a bakery where people can eat his bread every day.
- Everyone Can See It: It's obvious that he has a crush on Marietta when he met her at first sight.
- Large Ham: Becomes this whenever he gets too passionate with talking about bread.
- Nice Guy: He's a pretty friendly fellow, and likes to give away free bread to his customers.
- Real Men Wear Pink: He's also good at sewing and cleaning.
- Serious Business: Bread.
- To Be a Master: In one certain scene, he made a bread that takes a lot of effort to make. While everyone really loves it, Ayesha pointed out that it contradicts his original philosophy . After he realizes it, he was back on his original footing.
Voiced by: Kaori Sadowara (JP), Kira Buckland (EN)A human-shaped homunculus who acts as the caretaker to the Zweiteturm. Though she projects the image of an emotionless and professional doll, her nine-hundred-years of age and isolation within the Zweiteturm have introduced various eccentricities into her systems. Like Marion, she's available as a party member through DLC.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: Her dress style.
- Really 700 Years Old: It's not known how old she is, exactly, but it's safe to assume that she's over 900 years old.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Is it Odelia or Odileia?
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: She constantly maintains a cool and collected personality, but is really just trying to follow her previous master's orders. She can be somewhat emotional, especially when sweets are mentioned.
Voiced by: Kenji Nojima (JP), Creator/Kyle Hebert (EN)A bartender operating the White Crow pub in Hornheim, Kyle is The Casanova who loves to hit on every girl he sees. Ironically for a bartender, he is an extreme lightweight who cannot drink alcohol without passing out, but because of his profession has studied the theory of cocktail-making to the point where he insists that people refer to him as the "Mix Master".
- The Bartender: He's both the owner and bartender.
- Can't Hold His Liquor: Yet he's a lightweight and mentions his entire family is the same.
- Casanova Wannabe: Hits on women but isn't really that successful.
- Childhood Friends: With Juris.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: They take shots at each other.
- Supreme Chef: He makes up for the fact that he can't drink by serving delicious food in his tavern.
Voiced by: Iori Nomizu (JP), Michelle Ann Dunphy (EN)A young country girl who lives out on the Salt Plains with her family. She makes a living from mining salt and other valuable minerals for export to the mainland cities, though she dreams of one day visiting the cities for herself.
- Ambiguously Brown: It's shown to be a farmer's tan in the in-game art.
- Cheerful Child: She's pretty cheerful whenever you meet her.
- Country Mouse: Because she's out on the Salt Plains, she's as far out to the country as she can get.
- Powerful Pick: She uses a pick to mine the salt.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: She really does◊.
- Small Town Boredom: Considering that the only other people around are her family, it's hard to blame her.