Ox Tales is an anime series based on the Dutch comic strip "Boes" that aired from 1987 to 1988. Like a few other anime series, such as The Littl' Bits, The Noozles, and Wowser, the series was distributed by Saban Entertainment in the US.
The series followed the adventures and misadventures of Ollie, a good-natured yet simple-minded anthropomorphic ox who runs a place called the Funny Farm, which consists of just about every kind of animal that you can find in the world. Ollie is also joined in his adventures by his best friend, Jack the turtle, who often acted as the voice of reason when Ollie's hairbrained schemes always went haywire. Other characters of the series included Towilla, a sarcastic toucan who served as the Narrator of the series, Moe, a mole who often pops up from time to time to laugh at a comedic situation, Audrey, an ostrich who always has her head buried in the ground, Sammy, Ollie's faithful dog, and Edward, an elephant who Ollie will often use as a fire hose when the situation calls for it.
- Agony of the Feet: Happens a few times in the series. Happens to Ollie in the episode "A Cheesy Situation", after accidentally stepping on a mousetrap intended for Morris, and it happens to him again after one of his wooden shoes catches on fire in the episode "If The Clog Fits".
- Animal Gender-Bender: Audrey the ostrich is female, but has the black and white plumage of a male ostrich. In one episode, she gets a daughter who looks exactly like her as well.
- Bears Are Bad News: Bruce, a bear who often makes life hard for Ollie.
- Call a Rabbit a "Smeerp": Ollie is an ox, yet some episodes refer to him as a bull instead of an ox.
- Determinator: When faced with a near-impossible situation, nothing will stop Ollie from accomplishing the job that lies in front of him.
- Dreadful Musician: The episode "Music Madness" shows that Ollie is terrible when it comes to playing the flute, which disturbs every creature on the Funny Farm.
- Half-Dressed Cartoon Animal:
- Ollie wears only a pair of red overalls, though he is the only animal character to actually wear clothes, making him an Uplifted Animal as well.
- There was also a gorilla wearing briefs.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: In the English dub, Ollie's voice actually sounds something like a cross between that of Goofy, Foghorn Leghorn, and the Aardvark.
- Running Gag: Jack's shell always breaks apart when handled in a rough situation.
- She's a Man in Japan: The turtle in the original Dutch version was called Dollie. She remains female in the Italian dub with the name called "FantaZoo", but was changed to a male in the Japanese and English versions which are the ones most other dubs were based on.