Sugar Wiki: Sweeten That Aesop
Take a work that either has no real clear Aesop
or a decidedly Family-Unfriendly Aesop
, and try to pretend it has a perfectly positive and wholesome moral. As in don't even mention anything unpleasant. The moral is to seem like something that even the most staunch of Moral Guardians
would want to be told to children.
If you can't
find a work with no positive message, just choose a work and find some positive messages the creators probably didn't intend.
But don't try to use this for stealth complaining.
Compare Accidental Aesop
Contrast Warp That Aesop
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Bible Black: Even if you struck a Deal with the Devil, there's always a way out.
- Bleach — In order for a society's government to function properly its legislature group and the soldier squadrons whom they order should have a proper sense of checks and balances and communication. Failure to do so can make the Soldier Squadrons easy to manipulate to do things such as execute innocent people.
- Bokurano — It's worth it to put your people's interests before your own.
- Death Note — Normal people can change the world.
- God is always watching you.
- If you are given a powerful item do not try to use it to solve all your problems in life.
- If you aspire to protect the lives of innocent people it is a big responsibility that you must fulfill even if its not convenient for your plans.
- There's no limit to what you can accomplish through a good book.
- Remember kids—an apple a day! It will save your life!
- Digimon — Character Development can Save Both Worlds.
- Dragon Ball — Stop attacking yourself, thinking that there's something wrong with you, 'cause there's not. You have potential, so let it out!
- Your worst enemy can turn out to be your best friend.
- You may not always agree with your mother, but she loves you very much & she only wants what's best for you.
- Going through a lot of hardships makes you a stronger and wiser person.
- Don't make selfish decisions, or else you'll end up hurting others around you.
- Fairy Tail: Always believe in your True Companions. One day it will save your life.
- La Blue Girl — The Power of Love comes in many forms.
- Mahou Sensei Negima! — You should never be so focused on the past that you can't see the people who care about you.
- Others include: People are people whether they're "real" or not; even people who think they're beyond redemption aren't.
- Martian Successor Nadesico — Your favorite show, book, movie, etc. is not a big deal. Don't make it into one. The consequences of doing so range from embarrassing to disastrous.
- Mobile Fighter G Gundam- If you dislike how humanity is treating the earth please keep in mind that Genocide is never the answer. So if your trying to be a Well-Intentioned Extremist never work for a Genocidal madman, it won't work well.
- Naruto — Relationships can be broken beyond recovery. If that happens, lean on the real friends you have and cherish what you have with them. Fixating on someone who doesn't want anything to do with you anymore will only make you look ridiculous.
- When the people who care about you try to warn you about your desires of revenge it doesn't mean that you should let the person whom has genuinely wronged you get away with their crimes. What they mean is that you should never abandon your integrity and the people whom cared for you just for the sake of killing someone for any reason. Revenge doesn't give you the right to betray your friends and your home. While its not wrong to punish someone whom has killed those you cared for but it should be done in a just and honorable matter.
- Basically, don't turn your back against everything you stand for; don't turn your back against those who love you just for the sake of petty vengeance.
- If life has dealt you a bad hand, don't lose hope. You CAN overcome it!
- Neon Genesis Evangelion — Love is worth doing anything for.
- Also, Drugs Are Bad, especially right before church.
- Angelic Days — A positive attitude can make all the difference in the world.
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Don't worry about your lack of magic powers. You're really better off without them.
- Suzumiya Haruhi — God loves you. God really loves you.
- Alternately, your friends are closer than you think, and they're with you even if you don't know it.
- Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle — Love conquers all.
- Chick Tracts: If you don't have a good point to make, no amount of ad hominem attacks will help your case. The only way to truly win a debate is to properly research your subjects and present reasonable, well thought-out arguments.
- There is good in everyone. Even in Satan.
- Marvel Civil War Frontlines — It's good for the last generation to embrace modern values.
- Empowered: If you refuse to give up and you're willing to think outside the box, you've got what it takes to be a hero. Never let anyone tell you otherwise.
- Fantastic Four: If you have accidentally got your close friends into an incident that would change their bodies and lives forever you should work very hard to make sure that their lives will go well despite that.
- Marvel Universe: Even if the majority of the populous refuse to except you for who you are no matter what you do you should be a good person in life anyways. You should help people in general regardless of how much they hate you cause if people in general seem to think your Always Chaotic Evil do you really want to prove them right?
- The Punisher: In order to get justice, you need to be proactive.
- In order to properly fight the forces of evil one must show a great amount of responsibility and good judgment, one should never take extreme action against evil lightly.
- Watchmen — There are many different approaches to doing good. Some work well in day-to-day life, others prevail on the global scale. But everyone, regardless of their race, gender, age, sexual orientation, or social conditions, has what it takes to be a hero.
- "Sun, Moon, and Talia" — Don't give up on the one you love just because they come on a little strong at first. Every child deserves a father. Everyone has a right to be with their perfect man or woman no matter what stands in their way.
Films — Live Action
- Avatar: It's best to resolve conflicts with people who are different from by trying to understand them.
- Sometimes you can be so determined to protect the people close to you that you hurt the ones that aren't.
- Citizen Kane — Cherish your happiest memory for as long as you live.
- Drop Dead Fred: Sometimes our greatest problems can be our greatest source of strength.
- Ferris Bueller's Day Off — Schoolwork can be made up. Have fun while you still can.
- Gran Torino: Everyone has some sort of good in them.
- Hard Core Logo: Don't lie to your best friends. Even if you don't mean any harm, it never works out well.
- No Country for Old Men — Tolerance is the key to living a long life. Do not concern yourself with those whom you dislike, and they shall grant you the same favor.
- Pirates of the Caribbean — Friendship transcends racial and social barriers, including royalty.
- Secrets & Lies: Things aren't always what they appear to be, so don't go assuming the absolute worst. Give people the benefit of the doubt.
- Getting rich won't make you any better or worse of a person than you were when you didn't have money.
- Just because a situation looks bad now, that doesn't mean that that will always be the case.
- There Will Be Blood: With a little luck and plenty of perseverance, anyone can strike it rich in America.
- "Thor": Proper communication is the foundation of happy families.
- Alternately, never let your children feel unloved or unappreciated.
- TRON: Legacy: Things change. Once they do, it's usually best not to dwell in the past.
- A good father will always love their sons, even if the son fails to understand that.
- In the end, turn off the computer and go watch a sunrise.
- The Power of Friendship and The Power of Love can override just about anything.
- 2001: A Space Odyssey: If you study hard and become an astronaut, you'll see things that no one else has seen before.
- The universe is full of wonders beyond your greatest imaginings.
Films — Animated
- The Nightmare Before Christmas — There's always a place for you to be king.
- Wreck-It Ralph — Don't get lazy with your code.
- Don't run off with a stranger. You might not know what you're really in for.
- Stay in school, and don't try to skip.
- The Little Mermaid and the sequel:
- Always obey your parents. They know what's best for you.
- It's okay to have a different opinion than your parents, but that doesn't mean you should run off and do something reckless. It'll only put you in danger and won't show them you can properly take charge of your life at all.
- You might not agree with your child, but sometimes, taking matters into your own hands will make things a lot worse.
- Never hide important things and facts from your children, or else they will end up trusting the wrong people.
- And most of all JUST SAY NO!!!!
- Alfie's Home: With therapy, it's possible to overcome childhood abuse and live a good life.
- All Fun And Games Until Somebody Loses An Eye: You never know your own strength until it's put to the test.
- Animal Farm — No matter how drastically things change for you and your friends/family, fear not! Everything will go back to normal eventually.
- Another Time, Another Place: Don't just hoard all your money. It's very sensible to have a bit put by for a rainy day, but a few little extras are good for the soul.
- Justice comes at a price.
- If your partner is about to be deployed, you're probably better off marrying to make sure you get a pension if they die.
- We can all feel like outsiders sometimes.
- Black Company — Keep your friends close; with enough determination, courage, and faith in one another, you can overcome anything.
- Alternatively: No matter how bad life may seem, it's still worth living.
- Brideshead Revisited: When you feel like your family doesn't understand you, your friends can be the people in you life who see you for who you really are and still love you.
- Drinking socially to have a good time is fine, but when you drink to nurse a hurt inside you that can't easily resolve, not only will you be unable to quit, but you will alienate those who care about you and you will not be able to go back to being the person you were before.
- Catch-22 — If you stick to your beliefs, then you'll be fine.
- The Cthulhu Mythos - So some embarrassing things have happened to you. Well, don't worry about it too much, because in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter.
- The Hunchback of Notre Dame: Study medieval architecture some time! It's surprisingly interesting and educational.
- Lolita: Appreciate your romantic partners for who they are, not because they resemble a lost love or belong to a demographic you find attractive.
- Let go of the past. You can't be young forever!
- Nothing to Envy: Never take your freedom for granted.
- Humans can overcome seemingly impossible odds with ingenuity and extreme fortitude.
- Keeping an open mind can greatly improve your life.
- 1984 — Even if you disagree with others, it's best to remember you love them in the end.
- Sometimes, you'll be better off if you listen to others.
- The Remains of the Day: Don't be afraid to take chances in life.
- Always try to be your own person - no matter how dedicated you are to your job, you cannot let your career become your whole identity.
- Cutting your nose to spite your face won't end well for anyone.
- A Song of Ice and Fire: Age, gender, and disability are no barriers to playing an important part in history.
- When pursuing potentially controversial courses of action for the good of your country, make certain you have trustworthy allies.
- There are multiple sides to every story. Understand that before you judge or take action.
- Twilight: Love really does conquer all./Sometimes, beyond all logic or reason, happy endings can happen.
- The White Bird Passes: Your children can give you so much love, and you owe it to them to be worthy of it. Don't let your pride get in the way of meeting their needs.
- Poetry can free the soul.
- Kids need love - it's not enough to meet their physical needs and keep them safe. They have hopes and dreams and deserve to treated as individuals, not just as a problem to palm off onto someone else.
- Z for Zachariah: Be cautious when meeting new people. They may not be all that they appear to be.
- Harry Potter: The power of love isn't always magical, but you will have plenty of friends who will stick by to the very end and take up your cause even when your down.
Live Action TV
- Boy Meets World:
- No matter how rough life gets, you can always count on your friends to bail you out.
- Finding your one true love at an early age is a wonderful thing to be cherished always.
- Even the big bad school bully can become your friend if you give each other a chance.
- Community : True Companions will always be there for you, no matter the situation.
- It doesn't matter how broken or messed-up you think you are; everyone is worthy of being loved.
- Dexter: Everyone has at least one talent that they can use for good.
- Doctor Who: No matter who you are, no matter where you go or how powerful you become, it's good to make friends and see new things. Especially if your new friends can come too.
- Dollhouse — Meta Example: If a couple is meant to be together, they can survive anything... even being in a Joss Whedon show.
- Elementary: Even Insufferable Geniuses need supportive friends.
- Father Ted: There's a lot of fun to be had in a bad situation. Just try and avoid being on the receiving end of it.
- Firefly — Your crew trumps everything.
- Frankie Howerd Rather You Than Me: Love is difficult sometimes. Like everything else in life, it has its peaks and troughs.
- Suffering from anxiety or stage fright need not be a barrier to a successful career in show business.
- Friends: Provided that you are prepared to be patient, true love will conquer all.
- Life On Mars: No matter how trapped a situation makes you feel, there's always a way out.
- Mystery Science Theater 3000: Having a good sense of humor is a great way to have a overall happy life even if your surroundings are anything but happy.
- Oz: Drinking and driving will hurt you, others, and the people you love.
- You can always make the best of the cards you've been dealt in life.
- The Sarah Connor Chronicles: Love and loyalty go beyond things like conflict, time, and even the difference between organic and machine.
- The Secret Diaries Of Miss Anne Lister: Relationships often don't work out, so it's important to make the most of the time that you have together and not to spend it fighting.
- A marriage of convenience is not necessarily an unhappy one.
- Sherlock: Feelings like fear and love might make you vulnerable, but they also make you human.
- Heroes do exist, but no two are the same - sometimes you can be a hero and not even realize it.
- If you love someone, don't let them go. Not in a creepy, possessive way, but don't just abandon all hope and move over because it seems to be the mature thing to do.
- Torchwood: Children of Earth — The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, and sometimes you just need time alone to cope with your problems.
- Make sure that the people you love know how you feel.
- In the end, no one really gets a Karma Houdini and we all have to face up to the things that we've done, for better or worse.
- The Wire: "Ain't no shame in holdin' on to grief, as long as you make room for other things, too."
- FATAL — Sometimes, life can be tough. Sometimes, it may feel as though it isn't worth living. But in the end, everyone can slowly learn and grow, and anyone can get laid.
- Warhammer 40,000 — Hey, sometimes life can be pretty hard. It may seem like the world is out to get you. It may even seem as though there are no good choices. But no matter how dark the universe gets, life endures despite difficulties. So hope is always worth clinging to. Tzeentch needs his lunch, after all.
- Cabaret: Try and enjoy life while you can - it can go very wrong very quickly.
- Chess: Loving someone isn't going to be enough to stop the unpleasant parts of their personality from manifesting, so you shouldn't beat yourself up about it.
- Always try your very best so that mediocrity can't get the better of you.
- Be true to yourself - no one else can do it for you.
- Keep a cool head, don't let emotion cloud reason
- Chicago: Do you make mistakes? Do not fret. There are many people in the world who care about you, and they will do everything they can to help you work through the hard times and rebuild your life.
- Hairspray: It doesn't matter what size or race you are. Never let what people think of you get in the way of achieving your dreams.
- Little Shop of Horrors: If you have good people skills, then the world can be yours.
- The Phantom of the Opera: It's your choices that make you truly bad or good, not how you look or where you live.
- Love is messy. Sometimes you get hurt. It's not the end of the world when that happens.
- Spring Awakening: None of us really have it totally figured out, but the most important things in life are compassion, self-restraint, friendship, and love. Don't rush into something just because it feels good or because you're specifically told not to. Parents, love your children and don't keep them in the dark. Children, love your parents, but at the same time acknowledge they're just as in the dark as you are about the big things.
- Wicked: Choosing your own path may cost you many things, but not choosing it would cost you everything.
- True friends enrich our souls and shape our destiny like nothing else.
- Just because you choose a different path than someone you love, doesn't mean that they will love you any less.
- Age of Wonders — Nations must overcome racism in order to achieve greatness.
- Assassin's Creed — History can be entertaining and interesting.
- BioShock — Using drugs is never a good idea. And you can't solve all your problems by trying to become stronger than everyone else—sometimes it's better to just be yourself.
- Extremism, no matter the intentions behind it, will cause more harm than good.
- Family is worth fighting for.
- Any game with easy revives (Call of Duty, Gears of War in particular): The Power of Friendship.
- You can do better the next time.
- Dwarf Fortress — When things get hard, stay calm and keep your head. Internal strife can destroy a community more surely than nay external threat, so sometimes it's best to just let things go.
- The Elder Scrolls — Determination will get you far. With determination, you can do anything from becoming head of a guild, to fighting a world-eating dragon.
- The world is a lot less of an exciting place without you around. They depend on you, and want you here.
- Eversion — If there's someone you love who needs help and you can give them that help, do it no matter the personal cost.
- Fallout: When looking to the past, don't try to return to it, learn from it and try to build a better future.
- No matter what catastrophes happen, know that you can always rebuild and recover.
- First Encounter Assault Recon — No matter what else happens, remember this: Mommy loves you.
- Family can overcome anything to come together, be it mistrust, violence, armies, and even death.
- Final Fantasy Tactics Advance — It's better to face your problems than try to run away from them.
- Fire Emblem in general: Never falter in your resolve, you will save the world even if it's only through your son seventeen years later.
- Fire Emblem Tellius:
- No matter how much your life's sucked, if you can find one person to believe in who won't ever leave your side it's worth everything.
- Letting go of old prejudices will earn you the trust and friendship of those you once shunned.
- There is always a third option.note
- Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones:
- Even when everything seems darkest, there is always one last hope.
- Fire Emblem Awakening: Destiny can be altered if you work hard enough and believe in the bonds between you, your friends and your family.
- If you help a woman win the affections of another man, she just might end up falling for you instead!
- Unrequited love can hurt, but it's not fatal and you can always love again.
- No matter how prickly you are and how hard it is for you to get close to people, there will always be one person who sees past that and reaches out to you.
- Sometimes, using dark magic can lead to wonderful things, including falling in love!
- No matter how much your friends and teammates yell at you for "always running away", deep down they truly care for you and want to help even if they're not good at expressing it.
- If you take off the mask, someone just may fall madly in love with you.
- Even if your self-sacrifice would save the world, it may not necessarily be the right thing to do. Sometimes, getting rid of the Big Bad isn't worth others losing a best friend, a spouse or a parent, and a thousand years is a long time. So enjoy your life while you've got it.
- Grand Theft Auto V — Even the most broken of relationships (be they family or friendship) can slowly be patched together with talking and time.
- Loyalty and honesty are very important virtues. Don't lie to your best friend(s). If you are in trouble in any way, simply talk to them about it. Don't stab them in the back when they're not watching because it looks like the easy way out.
- I Wanna Be the Guy — Even an obstacle that seems impossible can be overcome with perseverance.
- Just about every game ever: Good triumphs over evil in the end, even if it's a bumpy ride and requires sacrifice.
- You can overcome most problems with persistence and changing your strategy when you need to.
- Knights of the Old Republic : Screw Destiny. When life gives you a second chance, it's entirely yours to decide what you do with it.
- Left 4 Dead — The Power of Friendship is the most potent force in the world. Relying on friends can save you from anything.
- The Legend of Zelda: Courage is doing something, even when you're scared shitless, because you know it's the right thing.
- Metal Gear Solid: Don't base your self-image around something that isn't your fault and that you have no control over. The alleged inferiority that you're obsessing over might not even be true, anyway. Also, no matter how mad you are at the world, and how cool your military tech is, don't start nuclear wars.
- Metal Gear Solid 2: No matter how much you admire your role models, it's still healthier to be yourself.
- Metal Gear Solid 3: A person's current political allegiance is not necessarily a reliable guide to whether or not they're a good person.
- Minecraft: You can build anything if you set your mind to it and can defend it from saboteurs.
- Pandemic2 — No matter how bad things seem, mankind will always find a way to endure.
- Persona 4 — Everybody has a dark side to them, but learning to embrace your flaws will help you overcome anything in your way.
- Saints Row: Stand by your friends, and they'll stand by you.
- If you're drunk, don't try to do anything involving fire.
- The Sims: If you work hard at the things that truly matter, especially at having good friends, you will have a far better, more fulfilling quality of life than if you let the universe push you around or let life pass you by while living on autopilot.
- Any Player-vs-Player team-based video-game shows that team-work can overcome even the hardest obstacles.
- Epic Mickey: No matter how famous you are, never forget your family members that are worse off than you.
- Dominic Deegan — Be nice to your friends and don't cause them any undue stress. That just makes life harder for everyone.
- 8-Bit Theater — Don't worry. Evil can never triumph. Ever.
- Homestuck — When attempting to communicate, decide your message in advance and express it clearly and efficiently. Getting worked up, sending contradicting messages, or being unnecessarily vague will doom your effort.
- Sluggy Freelance — When you find a woman bathing in an outdoors lake, the polite thing to do is averting your eyes and walking away. Do the polite thing.
- Encyclopedia Dramatica: The Internet is a wonderful tool for bringing people together. People who would otherwise keep their hobbies to themselves can go online, meet others who share their interests, and find the courage and motivation to create something glorious and share it with the world.
- Troper Tales: Before you hit post, read over what you've written and ask yourself what kind of impression you're sending of yourself and the community you're a part of.
- Looking for sympathy will not help you get over issues from your past. Talk to a therapist instead of seeking pity on an anonymous website.
- Warp That Aesop, Family-Unfriendly Aesop, Clueless Aesop, Broken Aesop: Don't just blindly follow a moral. Stop and think about the implications of the advice. There may be a hidden consequence.
- Adventure Time: The world is full of wonder, beauty and excitement, but it is also dangerous and fragile. Be prepared and exercise good judgment when exploring it.
- The Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan: It doesn't matter if you never solve the cases yourself, jump to all the wrong conclusions and get into trouble, your father is proud of you for having the determination to give it your all anyway and appreciates your efforts.
- Avatar: The Last Airbender: If someone loves you, they'll always forgive you no matter how badly you screw up. All that matters to them is that you came to that all-important realization and done what's right for yourself.
- Your family may very well be crazy evil, and your dad, as Aang would put it, may be the "baddest man on the planet", but that does not mean you're evil. You are free to choose your own destiny far apart from the destiny of your family, or, as Iroh would put it, "the destiny [they] imposed on you."
- Being the hero doesn't mean you're required to kill the Big Bad. Sometimes, the worst evil deserves a fate worse than death and you're the one to give it to them.
- In the sequel Legend of Korra: Don't be ashamed of who you are. Just because some haters are saying you're an abomination for being different, ignore them. Be happy with yourself and have fun when you can.
- Stand up for what you know is right, even when those close to you are doing what you know is wrong (Zuko and Asami)
- Beavis And Butthead: Even the dumbest of slackers can find happiness in the simplest of delusions.
- For the reboot: If you're capable of mocking Jersey Shore, you're not as dumb as you appear to be.
- Code Lyoko — No matter how clever, courageous, or dedicated you are, there will always be problems that you can't solve within the course of an afternoon. Don't let that affect you negatively. Take your victories where you can, keep working, and try to relax instead.
- Codename: Kids Next Door: Recycling is both useful and fun.
- Donald Duck: When something goes wrong, try not to get too angry. You'll only cause yourself more trouble.
- Mickey's Nightmare: If you are still young and have a girlfriend/boyfriend, don't be in a rush to get married and have kids. Chances are, you're not ready to deal with raising a family yet.
- Ed, Edd n Eddy: Be yourself to have friends. Don't pretend to be a jerkass or a Smug Snake because it will only get you hated, ostracized from your peers, and beaten up.
- Always stand up for yourself and your friends when you/they are being bullied (Little Ed Blue, A Fistful of Ed).
- Family Guy: Atheists are no better or worse than people who believe other things.
- Garfield and Friends: A true appreciation of fine Italian food can enrich your life.
- Even if your cat is not as affectionate as your dog, he still loves you.
- Metalocalypse: It doesn't matter if you lack formal education, aren't very book-smart, or had a bad upbringing - if you're talented and committed to the ideals of your art, you and your True Companions can create awesome music and change the world.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic: Don't judge people for how they look.
- The Powerpuff Girls:
- The episode "Fuzzy Logic": It's important to share. Don't be selfish.
- Feminism isn't about special treatment. It's about equal rights for both genders ("Equal Fights").
- The Simpsons
- South Park: The person you think you hate the most is the one who makes your life worth living and can't be replaced.
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Money isn't important. Doing something you love and bringing joy to people is all that matters.