Bart misses the ball — and it all goes downhill from there...
When Bart misses a simple pop fly during a championship Little League game, everyone in town harasses him, but end up going too far and drive the poor boy into suicidal insanity. On the lighter side of the plot, Homer gets a job at Costington's department store as a mattress tester, and fights with Reverend Lovejoy over a mattress said to revitalize stale sex lives.
"The Boys Of Bummer" contains examples of (YMMV goes here):
- 0% Approval Rating / The Scrappy: Bart after he lost the game.
- Baseball Episode
- Buried Alive: "Bart, Cottontail died. Dad buried him in the backyard...but not in that order."
- Captain Obvious: The cover of one of Lenny's mystery novels has the phrase "The Murderer Did It".
- Cowboy Bebop at His Computer: Some summaries, including the Sumpsons website's own summary, say that Bart meets Bill Buckner, when it's actually an expy of him.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Played almost to the point of deconstruction.
- Down to the Last Play
- Driven to Suicide:
- Felony Misdemeanor: Bart losing the game results in everyone hating him and wanting him dead.
- Hypocrite: LaBoot chides Bart for his fumble despite not only doing the same thing himself years ago, but doing it much worse when he suposedly disfigured the first lady.
- I Have This Friend: Reverend Lovejoy when he comes to Homer about his bed problems.
Lovejoy I have a friend. Well, a friend of a friend.
Homer (loudly) Sex problem, eh?
- Judgment of Solomon: The Simpsons and Lovejoys decide who gets the mattress by splitting the mattress diagonally, making it look like a grilled cheese sandwich.
- Left the Background Music On: When Marge and Homer sneak into the Lovejoys' house to retrieve their mattress, Homer imitates a sneaky high-top cymbal like in a spy movie until Marge tells him to cut it out.
- Mooning: "Behold, my naked butt! Each cheek is a god to you!"
- Naked People Are Funny: Moe streaking on the field.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: The announcer is a sound-alike of Vin Scully.
- No Longer with Us: Flanders, while wearing a black armband, told the team to do it for Groundskeeper Willie — not because he's dead, but because he made the armband.
- Only Sane Woman: Marge for standing by Bart's side.
- Overly-Long Gag: Bart attempting 78 times to catch the ball during the restaging of the game. In fact, by the time Bart finally caught it, most of the spectators had left.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Marge gave one to the entire town for their bullying.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Everyone in Springfield, and Marge lets them all know it.
- Yank the Dog's Chain: When Bart meets LaBoot and sees that he had a similar ordeal like him, Bart feels happy knowing that there’s one person who's not mad at him... until Lisa says his name.
: Bart? Are you Bart Simpson!? You stink like a Dutchman’s throw-up!