After being chastised for not having an email address, Marge gets into the Internet and gets involved in an online role-playing game, where she defeats the world's biggest enemy: her son, Bart. Meanwhile, Homer becomes a kids' soccer referee and rigs the games so Lisa can win.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents:
Bart: Mom, you're making me look bad in front of my minions.Marge: If they think less of you because of me, then they're not really your minions.
- Marge ends up making a fool out of Bart the Shadow Knight.
- Homer acts like a player during his first game as a referee and Lisa becomes upset.
- And There Was Much Rejoicing: The players of Earthland Realms sing a happy ditty after they kill the Shadow Knight whilst dancing around his organs.
- Beware the Silly Ones: Bart may sound like a typical online gamer, but Marge made the mistake of nagging him so much he killed her avatar.
- Football Hooligans: Lisa realizes how crazy soccer has made her when she watches a documentary about soccer riots, one scene showing a British riot that lasted for decades, and another one in South America where the statue of the Virgin Mary came to life and "beat the living snot out of everyone".
- A gag in this episode has the Lovejoys telling their daughter Jessica to win and "save our troubled marriage". The very next episode "The Boys of Bummer" has the Lovejoys having bed troubles.
- Homer's eventual refusal to favor Lisa during his time as a referee starts the main plot of "You Don't Have to Live Like a Referee".
- Heel Realization: Lisa after she watches the documentary and realizes how insane soccer has made her, and she admits to Homer was right to kick her out of the game.
- Nepotism: Subverted. Lisa believes this will happen to her when her father becomes the referee, but gets angry when Homer gives her a yellow card for misbehaving, and angrier when Homer gives her a red card for tearing the yellow card in half.Lisa: You can't give me a yellow card! You're my father!Homer: When I put on these shorts, I'm not your father anymore. And judging from how tight they are, I'm not anyone else's either.
- Passing the Torch: After Bart the Shadow Knight is killed, Marge becomes the new Shadow Knight.
- RPG Episode: The main plot is about Marge discovering the Internet and joining an MMORPG.
- Special Guest: Brazilian football great Ronaldo, who dons a Real Madrid kit (though, when the episode premiered, he had already been transferred to A.C. Milan; unfortunately, there wasn't enough time to make this change).
- Stealth Pun: The word "gamer" in the title is an anagram of Marge's name.
- Truth in Television: Homer gives Lisa a DVD about football riots, which opens with a fictional riot between fans of Manchester United and a fictional club called Sussexton Hamptonshire-on-Leath in 1985. In 1985, football hooliganism was at an all-time high in England, and an incident caused mostly by Liverpool supporters before the 1985 European Cup Final at Heysel Stadium in Belgium that saw 39 people - most of them supporters of Liverpool's opponents that night, Italian club Juventus - killed, and 600 people injured, resulted in English clubs being banned from European competitions until the early 1990s.
- Worth It: When Bart's enemies in the game are about to kill his character, he threatens to egg their homes in real life. One of them says it'll be worth it.