As frequently as some commercials appear on TV, it's hard not to get these phrases stuck in your head
. Simples! *squeaking noise*
The role of Memetic Mutation
in advertising is unique because Memetic Mutation
is actually advertising's job
. Advertising is supposed to get you to buy something. So advertisers try to make the ads memorable so that you will be influenced to buy the product. And also to get you to tell your friends about the cool product or funny ad. (Viral Marketing
is just one way of doing this.) However, sometimes this can backfire if the ad is memorable enough in a bad way that it is actually deterrent. Even then, some will still buy the product ironically because of the meme
or out of Bile Fascination
. This can also backfire when people remember the ad but not the product
Please add entries in the following format:
- The meme. [[labelnote:Explanation]]The explanation behind the meme, if necessary.[[/labelnote]] Explanation
- Further mutations and successor memes, if any.
Billboards and Signs
- SEE ROCK CITY. Explanation
- Wall Drug.Explanation
- The Corn Palace. Explanation
- South of the Border Explanation
- Yeehaw Junction Explanation
- Zoom Zoom Zoom Explanation
- Autoglass repair, Autoglass replace... Explanation
- In the U.S. it's the same jingle, but with "Safelite" instead of "Autoglass" (although the company's name is "Safelite Autoglass").
- And in Canada, it's replaced with "Speedy Glass".
- WE BUY ANY CAR (DOT COM), WE BUY ANY CAR (DOT COM), WE BUY ANY CAR (DOT COM), ANY- ANY- ANY- ANY- WE BUY ANY CAR (DOT COM), ANY MAKE, ANY MODEL, ANY AGE, ANY PRICE, FROM FIFTY QUID TO A HUNDRED GRAND, WE BUY ANY CAR (DOT COM), WE BUY ANY CAR (DOT COM), WE BUY ANY CAR (DOT COM), ANY- ANY- ANY- ANY- WE BUY ANY CAR (DOT COM). Also doubles as an Earworm. Explanation
- "IT'S HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE -City found in Western New York State- Huh-UGE!!!" Explanation
- "Fahrvergnügen. It's what makes a car a Volkswagen." Explanation
- Everyone from Chicago knows that "That old car might be worth money!" Explanation
- THAT'S THINKIN' WITH YER DIPSTICK, JIMMY! Explanation
- Tires ain't pretty! Explanation
- If ever you're not satisfied with one of our tires, please feel free to bring it back. *CRASH* Thank you. Discount Tire Company.note
- "Hello, I'm a Mac." "And I'm a PC." Explanation
- "IDK, my BFF Jill?" Explanation
- "IDK, my BFF Rose?" Explanation
- "Tropes? In my TV shows? It's more likely than you think." Explanation
- 'Some mysterious reason' was a raft of parodies produced at somethingawful.com, all of which were pretty forgettable ... until the fateful day "Centipedes? In my vagina?" appeared.
- Silhouetted dancers with MP3 players, often in an iPod parody. Explanation
- "Can You Hear Me Now? ...good!" Explanation
- WONGA. Explanation
- Hi, I'm Michael Bay, director of Hollywood hits such as Transformers, and I demand things to be awesome. Awesome pussycat. Awesome barbeque... *BOOM* ...AWESOME POOL! *BOOM* Explanation
- Clap on! *clap clap* Clap off! *clap clap* Clap on, clap off... The Clapper! Explanation
- Ch-ch-ch-chia! Explanation
- Small but powerful, That's what she said! Explanation
- "It's little, like my (Insert reference)". Explanation
- An ad featured this immortal exchange:
Driving in a car
Son: Why'd the build the Great Wall of China?
Dad: That... That was during the reign of Nasi Goreng, and it was to keep rabbits out... Too many rabbits in China...
[cut to Son, beaming proudly at the front of his classroom]
Teacher: Okay, now Daniel will do his talk on China
- Explanation: Bigpond, a net provider in Australia. For those not in the know, "nasi goreng" means "fried rice."
- "Dude, you're getting a Dell!" Explanation
- Protect your Chicken from Dokken. Explanation
- If you want to keep track of your memes, there's an app for that. Explanation
Games and Toys
- "I can't believe it's not butter!"Explanation
- "Taste the rainbow..." Explanation
- "Give me back that Fillet-O-Fish! Give me that fish!" Explanation
- "Where's the beef?" Explanation
- Mutated into a way to accuse almost anything of being overhyped, or under-delivering on its promised results. Achieved saturation when Walter Mondale used the phrase to ridicule his Presidential primary opponent, Gary Hart.
- Later became used as the name of a bodybuilding advice line.
- Nobody doesn't like Sara Lee. Explanation
- "You got your X in my Y!" "You got your Y in my X!" Explanation
- "What would you do for a Klondike bar?" Explanation
- "When I bite into a York Pepperment Patty, I get the sensation that ... I'm somewhere cold!" Explanation
- "Five dollar foot long!" Explanation
- "Two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun." Explanation
- "What do you want on your Tombstone?" "Pepperoni and sausage!" Explanation
- Meme codifier: The most-used copy of The Oregon Trail included a headstone that read "here lies andy / peperony and chease (sic)", a reference to the commercial.
- We know of a remote farm in Lincolnshire, where Mrs. Buckley lives. Every year, in July, peas grow there... Explanation
- BRING ON THE TRUMPETS! BRING ON THE TRUMPETS! Explanation
- Shepherd's Piiiiiiie! Explanation
- "Uh-oh, Spaghettios!" Explanation
- "I hanker for a hunka cheese!" Explanation
- "You don't have to be Jewish to enjoy tropes." Explanation
- It also attracted Volkswagen's attention, leading them to hire the agency which would develop THE most successful and influential ad campaign of The Sixties for VW.
- "Silly Rabbit! Trix are for kids!" Explanation
- Cuckoo for Cocoa-Puffs! Cuckooooo for Cocoa-Puffs! Explanation
- "Mentos! The fresh maker!" Explanation
- "LEGGO MY EGGO!" Explanation
- TV Tropes is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Explanation
- Wake up with The King. Explanation
- "Hey! Where's the cream filling?" Explanation
- Ran ran ruu!! Explanation
- This one basically lead to the creation of the McRoll. Explanation
- Miracle Whip will not tone it down. Explanation
- PURI PURIN! PURI PURIN! SUGOKI DEKKAI GIGA PURIN! Explanation
- I WANT MY BABYBACKBABYBACKBABYBACK I WANT MY BABYBACKBABYBACKBABYBACK~ Explanation
- CHILIIIIIIIIII'S BABY BACK RIIIIIIIIIIIIBS
- BARBECUE SAUCE.
- Give me a break, give me a break, break me off a piece of that... Explanation
- You can call me nannerpuss, nannerpuss! And guess what? I love p—*SLAM* Explanation
- Why you no have life?! You no hungry for advertising memes! Explanation
- "Those other guys? Their stuff's made in New York City!" "NEW YORK CITY?!" "Get a rope." Explanation
- "If I give one to you, I have to give one to everybody else!" Explanation
- Choosy moms/dads choose Jif. Explanation
- "You ate his face?!" Explanation
- Yorkie. It's not for girls!Explanation
- Honeycomb big, yeah yeah yeah
It's not small, no no no Explanation
- "Por que no las dos?" (Why don't we have both?) Explanation
- YEAH~! BABIES EVERYWHERE!Explanation
- Nin-ten-do, it's a cereal, wow! [Explanation
- No one ever pays me in gum. :( Explanation
- Berries and Cream, Berries and Cream!Explanation
- "Kids love Snickers on Halloween!" Explanation
- "Warum habe ich immer hunger!?" Explanation
- You're not you when you're hungry. Explanation
- Juicy Fruit is gonna move ya/It chews so soft, it gets right to ya/Juicy Fruit, the taste, the taste, the taste is gonna moooove yaaaaaa! Explanation
- Fiber makes me... sad. Explanation
- "Togs, togs, togs, UNDIES." Explanation
- I can feel it, coming in the air tonight, oh Lord... Explanation
- "You sunk my battleship!" Explanation
- "Obey Wario, destroy Mario!" Explanation
- "Gotcha!" "Where? I don't see." "Here, diagonally!"Explanation
- "Thinking... thinking... It's a tarantula!" Explanation
- Attractive, Stripperiffic woman asking you to "Play Now, My Lord!" Explanation
- "Skip it, skip it…"Explanation
Medicine and Beauty Care
- "HI, BILLY MAYS HERE WITH [product name]!" Explanation
- This meme found a resurgence shortly after his death, as he was in the news a lot.
- Memetic mutation has caused "Billy Mays Mode" to become a way to refer to caps lock, or simply typing in all capital letters.
- Unstoppable Force vs. Immovable ObjectExplanation
- "I've fallen and I can't get up!" Explanation
- LifeAlert, a Spiritual Successor service to LifeCall, would later trademark the phrase for use in its own commercials.
- Wilford Brimley saying "Diabeetus"◊. Explanation
- Slap-Chop commercial quotes, such as "You're gonna love my nuts" or "You're gonna be in a great mood all day, cause you'll be slapping your troubles away!". Similarly, ShamWow quotes. Explanation
- HI, I'M BARRY SCOTT! AND I USE CILLIT BANG! Explanation
- BANG! AND THE DIRT IS GONE!
- And it came full-circle in the US ads for Cillit Bang (known as Easy-Off BAM there), which used music "inspired by" the Cillit Bang remix video.
- In New Zealand, it's Easy-Off BAM, of course, and the guy has a hybrid NZ-American accent (well, most NZ advertising voice-overs have this weird hybrid accent).
- Blankets are okay, but they can slip and slide. And when you need to reach for something, your hands are trapped inside. Explanation
- This is a meme. This is a meme on drugs. Any questions? Explanation
- Followed up by a sequel in which Rachel Leigh Cook proceeds to wreck an apartment with a frypan. No, ma'am, we will NOT do heroin. We'll just settle for your number and what time you're free for a date, thank you!
- An Easter Egg death in Space Quest 4, in which Roger steps onto a planet without the right protective gear: "This is Roger. This is Roger on Ortega. Any questions?"
- "This isn't normal, but on meth it is." "Meth: not even once." Explanation
- I am a non-attorney spokesperson. If you or a loved one was diagnosed with mesothelioma... Explanation
- "Grab a chip? A chip?" "You know I can't grab any of your GHOST CHIPS!" Explanation
- "I've been internalizing a complicated situation in my head."
- "Because remember, there's no such thing as the poop fairy." Explanation
- National FF-Type Kerosene Heater. Explanation
- I'm Earl Scheib, and I'll paint any car for only $99.95.Explanation
- "Friends don't let friends [insert phrase here]" Explanation
- One mutation popular in the 1990s with Apple Macintosh fans: "Friends don't let friends do DOS."
- "Yeah, nah"/"No more beersies for you."Explanation
Money and Insurance
- Side effects may include nausea, fatigue, mild headache, itching, dry mouth, memory problems, sleeplessness, diarrhea, vomiting, double-vision, rashes, constipation, severe halitosis, weight gain, hair loss, anal leakage, suicidal thoughts, temporary blindness, impotence, and death. Consult your physician. Explanation
- "HeadOn: Apply Directly to the Forehead." Explanation
- Later, the company itself began running commercials saying "HeadOn: I hate your commercials, but I love your product!" in an attempt to mutate it in their favor.
- The phrase "B.O." Explanation
- I'm not a meme, but I play one on TV! Explanation
- It's been replaced by a similar one: "Are you an X?" "No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night."
- BOM-CHICKA-WOW-WOW!!! Explanation
- "Hello tropers. Look at your entry. Now back to mine. Now back to your entry. Now back to mine... Sadly, yours isn't mine. But if you stopped posting wrong examples and followed the guidelines, it could look like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're at TV Tropes, reading an article about memes. What's in your hand, now back to me. I have it, it's a famous meme from that commercial you love. Look again. THE MEME IS NOW DIAMONDS. Anything is possible when you follow the guidelines and not post bad examples. I'm on a laptop." Explanation
- Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea! Explanation
- TROJAN MAAAAAN! Explanation
- Ricolaaaaa! Explanation
- Plop-Plop! Fizz-Fizz! Oh, what a relief it is! Explanation
- "I thought you were Dale!" Explanation
- It'll hurt if I swallow... it'll hurt if I swallow... *gulp* MOMMY! Explanation
- Also, what sportswriters really want to ask Troy Polamalu is how he keeps his hair so fabulous. Explanation
- "Manly, yes; but I like it too." Explanation
- "This man is a dentist, so we can't show you his face on television." Explanation
- "And remember, if don't get help at Charter... Please get help somewhere." Explanation
- Internet: $49.95. Computer: $599.95. Discovering TV Tropes and having it ruin your life: priceless. Explanation
- "Bad news: [X]. Good news, I just saved a lot of money on car insurance by switching to GEICO." Typically the bad news is very bad, to make the lack of real good news that much worse. Explanation
- GEICO, so easy to use... a caveman could do it.
- RINGADINGDINGDINGYDONG Explanation
- Believe it or not, you can actually download this ringtone from the Geico site.
- HUMP DAY.Explanation:
- From Ireland: "I don't know what a tracker mortgage is!" Explanation
- Excuse me. What's this ad for?
- Calm down, dear, it's only a meme. Explanation
- I am Alexander, founder of Advertising/CompareTheMeerkat.com Explanation
- For cheap car insurance, go to CompareTheMARket.com - Simples!
- OH EIGHT HUNDRED DOUBLE OH, TEN SIXTY-SIX!!!!! Explanation
- GO COMPAAAAAARE! GO COMPAAAAAARE! WHEN IN DOUBT, CHECK THEM OUT, GO COMPAAAAAARE! WITH JUST A FEW CLICKS AND YOUR SPONDOOOOOLIKS AND YOU'LL THANK YOUR STARS THAT YOU WENT TO GO COMPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARE!!! Explanation
- They sort of do, if you get them right. It's "With just a few clicks, you'll save spondulicks [as in slang for cash]..."
- "Oh, no! Your tire's all flat an' junk!" Explanation
- I haaa~ve a structured settlement and I need cash now~ Call J.G. WENTWORTH! 877-CASH NOW! Explanation
- It's your money, use it when you need it!
- IT'S MY MONEY AND I NEED IT NOW!
- Shoulda gone to Freeeeeeee Credit Report dot com! (Yeehaw!) Explanation
- AFLAC! Explanation
- USA Prime Credit, I am Peggy. Explanation
- Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there... with a meme explanation! Explanation
- Is this Jake from State Farm?Explanation
- Get Allstate. Save cash and be better protected from mayhem... like me. Explanation
- We! Are! Farmers! Bum ba dum bum bum bum bum!Explanation
- YA BUY ONE, YA GET ONE FREE AHSEDYA BUY ONE, YA GET ONE FREE!!! Explanation
- BELLY'S GONNA GET YOU! has become a standard cheer for anyone overweight. Explanation
- "It's just like—it's just like a mini mall!" Explanation
- Many of you feel bad for zis trope. That iz because you crazy! Explanation
- Diamonds are forever. Explanation
- This is not just a meme, this is an exaggerated, cool background music-containing, sexy Irish-voiced, M&S meme. Explanation
- "WOW! THAT'S A LOW PRICE!" Explanation
- You probably thought this entry was alive. Nope. Chuck Testa. Explanation
- WE MAY BE A MEME BUT WE'RE NOT STUPID! AT CRAZY GIDEON'S!!! Explanation
- Super-regional example: "You can't spell Texas without H-E-B!" Explanation
- HI, I'M GEORGE ZIMMER, FOUNDER AND CEO OF THE MEN'S WEARHOUSE. I SHOW UP TO PONTIFICATE ON MY COMA-INDUCING SEXUAL PROWESS AND BROBDIGNAGIAN TACKLE, AND MOST LIKELY MY ENGAGING YOUR CRETINOUS MOTHER IN AN HOURS-LONG SESSION OF MIND-SHATTERING PLOWING AS WELL, TYPICALLY DESCRIBED IN OUTLANDISH, PERVERSE, VERBOSE HYPERBOLE USING NOTHING BUT CAPITAL LETTERS. I GUARANTEE IT.
- Craaaaazy Bruuuuce's Liquoooooors... We've got the bargains for you! (Whoo! Whoo! Whoo!) Explanation
- "It's a sofa by day! / And a bed by night! Is it true? Yes it is! ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!" Explanation
- "We'll leave the light on for you."Explanation
- The Shake Weight.Explanation
- Basically anything that sings the jingle of numbers. Examples include:
- "Not happy, Jan!" Explanation
- Mutation: People annoyed with the actions of former Prime Minister John Howard turned it into the Catch Phrase "Not happy, John!"
- It does Exactly What It Says on the Tin. Explanation
- Quickly adopted as a stock phrase meaning that something is self-explanatory; ubiquitous.
- In Doctor Who, when Jack Harkness is stripped naked by a Defabricator he recites this phrase.
- Referenced in politics when David Cameron referred to the coalition government as "A Ronseal Deal"
- "I love Cliche Storms, I love the Jerkasses, I love the Big Nos, I love the Badasses! I love TV Tropes, and all its bits and words! Boom de ah da! Boom de ah da! Boom de ah da! Boom de ah da!" Explanation
- J-Rock! Girugamesh! I love anime! And manga! Explanation
- The CRAZY WAREHOUSE GUY!!! We have rugs for 50, 60, 70, 80 and even 90% off! Closing down sale!! We've closed down before, but this time we mean it! If we don't sell this entire container by midnight, we'll burn the lot!
- "I'm Jim Adler, the Texas Hammer!" Explanation
- Hurt in a car? Call William Mattar Explanation
- Who's better than Lastman's Bad Boy? NOOOOOBODY!Explanation
- "[Athlete's name] going all [ATHLETE'S NAME]!" Explanation
- I lift things up and put them down. Explanation
- I MADE A BUNNYYYYYYY!!
- Do you want me to put my email? BANG BANG BANG POW BANG POW POW POW BANG BANG BANG POW BANG BANG POW POW.
- "Is it the shoes?" Explanation
- A very localized and specific meme, to those stationed on US military bases in Korea 2007-2009. An ad of a floating Genghis Khan head repeating seductively "Mongolian Barbeque..."
- You probably thought X was alive. NOOOOPE! Chuck Testa! Explanation
- 1-800 Contacts launched a very memetic commercial indeed.
Woman: Your contact lenses just arrived.
Man: 1-800 Contacts? They can't have my brand! I have special eyes.
Woman: Look! Look with your special eyes!
- "30 seconds! Spray & Walk Away!"Explanation
- For you folks in Northeast Ohio... Norton's Furniture is here for you! Seriously. If you can't get credit in his store... you can't get credit ANYWHERE.
- For you folks in Southwest Ohio... SAVE CASH AT KASH'S! KASH'S BIG BARGAIN BARN!
- For ANYONE here in Ohio... IT'S YOUR MONEY, AND YOU NEED IT NOW!
- "Sit 'n Sleep will beat anyone's advertised price, or your mattress is FREEEEEEE!"
- "YOU'RE KILLING ME, LARRYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!"
- Anyone who lives in the northeastern United States knows from many commercials for Bob's Discount Furniture. For those who don't know from Bob... I'm too polite to provide any
Schmuck Bait links. If you absolutely must know, you know how to use Youtube's search engine.
- Two related ones from the San Francisco Bay Area: "Have a good night's sleep for less, Mattress Discounters!" and "Sleep Train! *woo woo* Your ticket to a better night's sleep!"
- U-Phage! It's what puts the Rope in TV Tropes!
- Weeeeeeee wish you a Merry Christmas, but at the mall, you're spending too much...
- Those tropers living in the Pacific Northwest, particular western Washington State are familiar with Pemco Insurance Northwest Profiles.
- Have you got any Grey Poupon?
- Those in the Piedmont Triad area of North Carolina (although it may also apply outside the Triad) should recognize "CAAAAAAROLINA KIA!"
- For those of you from New Orleans: "Ro-sen-berg's, Ro-sen-berg's, Eight-teen Twenty-Five Tu-lane"
- "Here at Crazy Eddie's, our prices are... INSAAAANE!!!"
- NERD GATE!!
- The Nike "Write the Future" lampshades the Memetic Mutation process, in which a soccer player's fancy footwork gains international notoriety and gets replicated via YouTube Poop.
- A certain KFC commercial featuring a black man eating chicken managed to spawn a meme featuring that very man dancing in front of a rainbow background and an 8-bit arrangement of the Alf theme. The meme's name? 2204355.
- I bet he drinks Carling Black Label.
- But even if he does, he's no match for someone who eats three Weetabix.
- The area around here has a Toyota dealership called Bob's, who's tagline is "Bob's, he just wants to get you a loan (or alone)."
- This is made worse by the fact that it is often a boy delivering the line.
- There are now countless banner ads across the internet that follow the following format: "1 strange tip for (x): one simple trick to (x) that has angered (experts in x)"
*busts through index, screaming*